Blue Miracle (2021) Poster

(2021)

Heartwarming and family-friendly
trinaboice27 May 2021
IN A NUTSHELL: Wow, who knew a fishing movie could be so great? Netflix presents a very heartwarming, true story that definitely gave me the feels! Written and directed by Julio Quintana with some writing help by Chris Dowling, this feel-good flick is family-friendly and extremely charming.

To save their cash-strapped orphanage, a guardian and some of the kids partner with a washed-up boat captain for a chance to win a lucrative fishing competition in Cabo San Lucas called "Bisbee's Black & Blue Tournament." This is definitely not the tourist town you thought you knew.

THINGS I LIKED: The movie takes place on the Baja California peninsula in 2014 when Hurricane Odile hit the coast.

Fun fact: The movie was previously named "On the Line", a good name for a fishing movie. In fact, I think I like it better than "Miracle Blue" because it has a double meaning.

Music from Grammy Award-winning Reach Records artist Lecrae is on the soundtrack, along with GAWVI, WHATUPRG, & 1K Phew.

You don't get a lot of backstory on all of the characters, but somehow, you instantly connect with all of them. They feel like real people and not actors just saying lines.

There is some gentle humor and real-life conversations that feel authentic.

There are some conversations about God, but the movie definitely doesn't feel preachy.

At the end of the movie, you get to see photos of the real people this story happened to, as well as the orphanage called "Casa Hogar." Great transitions, especially the opening scene.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: There aren't any subtitles to help you know some of the words that are being spoken in Spanish.

It's formulaic for its genre and very predictable but I loved it anyway.

SPANISH WORDS YOU HEAR OFTEN IN THE MOVIE: guey = idiot or dude, bro a huevo = huevos are eggs, but in slang, it means: for sure, of course bien padre = cool fresa = strawberry, but in slang, it means: kids who came from an upper-class family

TIPS FOR PARENTS: Lots of Spanish is spoken.

Some profanity in Spanish. Taking God's name in vain Images of living on the dangerous streets Orphan life Talk of death Some illustration of drowning

You can see the rest of my review on my Movie Review Mom YouTube channel!
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good movie
Calicodreamin28 May 2021
A solid feel good movie, storyline was well developed and based on a true story, the acting was decent. The cast had good chemistry and the characters had depth. I teared up in the end, so no complaints.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dennis the Miracle
kosmasp1 August 2021
To be able to make a movie work ... a movie like this that is, you have to have a miracle worker - no pun intended. And having Dennis Quaid who is able to play the grumpy almost completely dislikeable guy ... well you win already, because we know he can pull it off.

While he is not the hero of the story (or maybe he is for you), he is the one who seems to learn and change the most. And all that because our main characters are able to help him along (again no pun intended or in more than one way). This is a movie about goodness, about kindness, about survival and about life in general.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very lively movie
noeljoshu27 May 2021
A very good movie to watch in 2021 with out any expectations, big budget, and no big CGIs. Simple story, brilliantly executed script, with a feel good ending. A must watch with kids.
32 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Loved It! I have been going to Cabo since '87, so I expected schlock. This Is A Good Film!
rhmacl27 May 2021
I cheered, I laughed, and even cried. I was not expecting this film to have "impact." Great performance from 'Papa Omar,' and wonderful editing and writing. The film-makers did a great job telling a relevant and true story with all the fascinations of good versus evil and every moral point in-between; great father/son motifs, life/death motifs, win/loss motifs and excellent presentations about how we all get fooled by one extreme or the other. ENJOY!

I Loved It!
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid job recreating a true story, which was great in real life
davesjbb31 May 2021
The real life story is awesome, not just an improbable victory, but one that benefits poor children in Cabo. Like it or not, it's a simple story with a predictable ending but you can't help but like it. Well filmed, adequate acting. The kids were great.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice family movie
pdswagner-6783028 May 2021
I loved it. Nice for family, even adults! I watched it alone. Such a good movie about orphans and great role models for them. Nice to watch a movie without all the garbage.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic. Refreshing. Beautiful
bhttacharjee-saurav27 May 2021
Blue Miracle hooks you up beautifully and toys a line of 'obvious outcome' for 90 minutes, while keeping you completely glued and emotionally invested. Jimmy Gonzales and Dennis Quaid are at the absolute top of their game. The story is told out fantastically. The movie and it's learnings dawn on you like fine wine on a Saturday evening. A huge plus is the perfect character buildup of 'Papa Omar'. The only drawback maybe is slight over dramatization of events. But hey, that adds to the goodness.

And when I learnt it was a true story, it gave me goosebumps. Watch it without second thought!
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing
wruzek30 May 2021
Gee, a good ole flick with just a little language but NO BLASPHEMY! Yes predictable it enjoyable nevertheless. Characters are rather obvious as well but sit back and enjoy!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love love loved it !
It's a true story and Omar and the boys make it so much more livable ! Gratitude when you have nothing, doing the right thing no matter what and importance of a Papa ... The movie has it all ! Great acting , beautiful storytelling and the locales !! Simply gorgeous ! Watched it with my boys completely worth it.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Transcends the mundane... no short cuts
samabc-3195211 July 2021
Based on a true story.. orphanage, fishing tounament... how one transcends the mundane... no short cuts.. at the end often it does pay off but sometimes does not... but again it is always about journey and experience after all....a great inspirational family movie that would help one unwind and contemplate ... Blue sky, blue house, blue walls, blue furniture, blue bedsheets, blue car, blue boat, blue cloths, blue marlin, blue miracle... ..
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
hbate-3343228 May 2021
Great story. Great characters. You'll laugh and maybe cry a little! Highly recommend.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid family movie
Andre9elton31 May 2021
If you are looking for a nice, feel good story for the whole family to watch, this movie is a solid option. It is not a Hollywood masterpiece by any means, but you will enjoy this film with your kids. The characters are likable and the storyline is one that you can get behind. It is based on a true story after all. It incorporates religion at times but is NOT shoving anything down your throat, which I think many viewers can appreciate. There are a couple moments of forced tension to add to the drama that probably should have been done away with, but overall this is an innocent family film that you can feel good about watching.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful and passionate...
RosanaBotafogo31 May 2021
Dennis Quaid (specializing in cute movies) is a great canastão, but Jimmy Gonzales, who won my heart with his charm and kindness, is a delicate film, biographies always leave me emotional, and passionate, who cares about technical quality when we can appreciate a beautiful history of generosity and determination, faith, and moving us, leaves our hearts warm... Beautiful and passionate...
Family feel good movie
btreakle20 June 2021
Dennis Quaid was superb in this true story of a Mexican orphanage that needed a financial miracle A story of love and devotion to the orphans in Mexico..
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice family movie on Netflix
DogePelis20155 June 2021
It is a very nice true story; the actors are decent and the plot is fine; my best wishes for the Casa Hogar in Cabo San Lucas.
Miracles happen every day
momk-385-40734227 May 2021
A true story of hope and never giving up. A must see.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heart warming, not cliche, and inspiring!
jokejong29 May 2021
The way the movie is done is real, the color and cinematography is really nice, the script and story are solid and, I like the characters. Overall, the film has really some good production value. The soundtrack and the directing are great too! I think this makes one of the better inspirational real life movies in 2021. I truly enjoyed the moments watching the show and I think it's a great family movie to watch.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute inspiring film
cruise019 June 2021
3 out of 5 stars.

Cute film. About a guy trying to raise money for an orphanage through a fishing tournament. Decent cast. Good story.
Decent feel good movie
slayergirl-3419129 May 2021
This is a decent, predictable feel good movie. Other than the fact that it looked like Omar gave birth to the marlin after a long intense labour, it was good!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uplifting
snbird27 May 2021
This movie had the best trials and triumphs I've seen in years. It is a must see movie. Thanks Netflix I loved it please keep giving us more movies like this.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fish On!
Slarkshark9 September 2021
A family friendly movie based on a true story. Some variations were done in the film compared to the real event, but that's generally always the case.

What was really interesting, was reading that the actor for Omar, Jimmy Gonzales literally had that rough childhood where he lived in foster homes, and was even a drug courier. I'm sure this role probably meant a lot to him personally.

The constant blue theme made for beautiful visuals throughout. And fishing as a whole is something I plainly just enjoy, so the whole concept of the film along with its messages was enjoyable.
Humanity movie
ks-6050013 June 2021
Who can dislike this movie with such a warm and full of humanity storyline. Life can be quite simple and happy if we have a good heart and when desire is gone.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God gives !
avindugunasinghe10 July 2021
A couple's flowerbed in bloom is put at risk of wither. When all hopes lost and faith starts to melt in the hot salty air. God turns his gaze upon team Casa Hogar.
Good wholesome family fun
Luv2Spooge17 February 2022
As others have said, this is a light feel good movie. You pretty much know from the start how the story will go, so there are no surprises. I felt that they could've done a better job to stir the emotions, but the story telling is straightforward. I mean, I can only imagine what Koreans can do with it if they remade it.

Overall it is good, but not great. Feels like a Sunday school lesson if anything, maybe a church play. However, I like how they hit on certain strong points about responsibility, values in life, and such. These are things often people overlook in real life and lose sight of what is important.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.