The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (2021) Poster

1,171 Reviews
Decent follow-up, but lacks tension
amonteirojr8 June 2021
Not hating on the movie and I'm actually glad they moved away from the haunted house formula, injecting a bit of other genres like criminal investigation but even though it's well paced, there's less of those nail bitting moments i love from the series. The cast still deliver the goods and the story, despite having a few weak spots was still engaging, but with far less memorable moments compared to the previous chapters.
127 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We missed you James!
akerstrom_948 June 2021
NO SPOILERS! Weakest of the series and and I have to believe the missing piece was director James Wan. The scares were way too predictable, the script felt one note and even though I went in cold I could still see the ending a mile away. Solid turns by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as they have always done but still even they couldn't elevate this one.
253 out of 283 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Without Wan directing it doesn't have that same detail and dynamic, but it does continue the Warren's adventures serviceably with solid story/scares.
tresm8728 May 2021
As I said, the film doesn't have the same power and unique feel as Wan's 2, but it is a nice continuation in the franchise with an intriguing story that does delve into the crime drama genre along with giving us the scares we come to know. You can tell Wan still was involved with certain camera works and scare concepts much like he was with the mediocre yet entraining curse of LaLlarona which this director Michael Chaves debuted on. While he doesn't fill Wan's shoes at all, he was able to follow a certain format for this particular franchise to move forward though at dragging pace at times.

The actors are all very good as usual and the duo of Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson as the Warren's are phenomenal bursting with emotion as always. They carry this film completely. The effects are decently executed and the cgi looks near flawless. Some of the scares are a mixed bag of ambition and some are tremendously cliche, but they all do their jobs for the horror aspect. The ominous settings are fantastic and add rich environment for the frights to flourish.

Overall it's an effort that felt satisfying to see the premier franchise continue, but there's a definitive void without Wan's genius eye.
170 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Change the director for the next part please.
ranapreet22554 June 2021
Least scariest out of whole conjuring universe.

Story line was fine, first half an hour was great, makes you hopeful, ending wasn't.

The movie is directed by the same director who directed The curse of La Llarona, I don't like it very much. Bring James Wan back, let him do his magic for the next part.

We love this franchise, therefore our expectations are always high. Don't disappoint us next time.
499 out of 564 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The weakest, but still solid
PedroPires9028 May 2021
It's a different Conjuring, trying and innovating, not only in the story (no haunted house here) but also in the use of camera/direction, where we feel that we have a new director and with a different identity (good).

The scaries don't work as well as in the first two films and the new characters aren't as intriguing as The Nun or Annabelle, so, even if we still have very strong horror moments, we don't feel the same tension as we felt in the previous two. The Warrens do, once again, a fantastic job and I loved some references to The Shining or A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Personally, I still think the 2nd is the best Conjuring by a large margin (scarier, frenetic, fantastic direction, editing, atmosphere, London). The first one isn't as scary as the second, but it's really well executed with a very strong plot. This one is the weakest, but it's still interesting to see the couple in a different type of story and it's still a pretty solid horror film.
118 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Fix what isn't broken??
colinrfricke13 June 2021
This third movie in the series was just ok. The director attempted to move the story away from the typical haunted house storyline of the previous two films. The problem is that the first couple films were very much liked so why deviate? True there needs to be some variety but most of these hauntings have enough variety to satisfy that.

The beginning scene is the best as it is the climax scene in a typical Conjuring movie, the exorcism. The film then devolves into satanic curses and flashy special effects while Ed and Lorraine investigate the source. In the end there is a small step between the sublime and the ridiculous and this film takes that step big time. They made the same error with the Conjuring 2 where the end scene with the lightning and the tree windows bursting would put to rest any question of demonic possession. This film goes even further with levitating and exploding windows and helicopters around.

Still the movie has some redeeming qualities. The special effects are good and the investigation, while choppy and navigating without a compass at times, is still intriguing. The scares are less but they are still there. This would be a good horror movie standalone but as a Conjuring movie it is weaker.

The most disappointing part is that the "true" story (depends if you believe in this stuff) would have made for a good movie. The documentary from Discovery "A Haunting" covered this case and it was a very good episode when I saw it.

In the end it is worth your time but it is a weak link in the series. I feel they should return to their roots for a Conjuring 4.
49 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lacks tension
SnoopyStyle10 June 2021
It's 1981. The Warrens (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga) are participating in the exorcism of a boy named David Glatzel. It leads to the case of Arne Johnson who claims that The Devil Made Me Do It.

I noticed early on that there is limited tension in this movie. I figured out that I don't care about Arne and nothing will happen to the Warrens since this is a prequel. I don't know any of these new people. Once Arne is in prison, I also realized that the legal system would never let him go. The Warrens can't prove this stuff in a court of law. It all culminates with the realization that this story is more a courtroom drama than a horror. This is not scary. As a horror, it is a stale by-the-coloring-book movie. It has nothing inventive or compelling. The supernatural becomes a series of random superpowers. I still love the Warrens but this is a bland superhero movie.
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not terrible, not great
jakerz-744119 June 2021
Super predictable jump scares, not nearly as scary as the other movies, it's so easy to tell when something scary is about to happen but when it does it's not even really scary.

But I will say the acting is great and the story is told pretty well, this however has to be one of the most embellished of the movies yet. It's honestly more of an action thriller than a horror movie.
156 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't derserve to share the same name as the original Conjuring film
jtindahouse3 June 2021
I try to avoid trailers for movies but the 'The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It' trailer came on before a couple of movies I went to in the cinema and I was forced to see it. I could tell even just from the trailer than James Wan's absence was going to be noticeable and significant. I hoped I was wrong - but I wasn't. To be fair I think that this story wasn't strong enough for him to touch anyway.

The story here felt really forced. What would've been interesting was to focus on the court case and how the defense of "Demonic Possession" would have held up. That's the movie I would've liked to see, however I understand that wouldn't have fit in with the horror genre the fans come to associate with 'The Conjuring' universe. All of the horror in this movie was ridiculous though. All the subtlety the original film had is completely gone.

The movie felt incredibly safe too. The film attained an R rating, however it could easily have scraped in at PG-13. What the 'Conjuring' universe has become in my mind is introduction horror for teenagers. Not once during this film did my heart-rate rise.

The only thing that keeps the film afloat is the characters of Ed and Lorraine Warren, and more importantly their charismatic performances by Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga. Sadly though I wish I could've saved my $20.00 spent seeing this in the cinema and just have watched it on HBO Max tomorrow. A big let down.
83 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ToOo mUcH StORy
dsohn75 June 2021
Everyone who's complaining that they're too much story and not enough scares, are you kidding? Story and character is the reason why we care about the stakes-that's where drama, tension and horror comes from. If it was all jump scares and lacking in story (the movie Winchester comes to mind), I guarantee y'all would've been even more disappointed. But if that's your thing, you'll probably be just as entertained by a jack in the box. While remaining faithful to the Conjuring universe, I appreciated that this third movie explored new territory so it wasn't just a repeat. It is a quality addition to the series with good production value, and much more thoughtfully-written than the spin offs. It's a win for what it is considering the impossible task the writer and the director had of pleasing all these harsh fans who couldn't even tell you what they liked about the first two conjuring movies other than "it was scary."
176 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Ok. More story than scares and lack of suspense.
med-0108128 May 2021
I was looking forward to this film and the dreaded suspense and scares that this franchise has mastered over the years and was left disappointed. What we got was more story of the Warren's and their battle against evil and the played out snapping body part movements that the Japanese mastered 20 years ago. The first two conjuring films had suspense and scares galore where you would almost hide from the anticipation of what is coming but on this occasion i found it a bit lacking. It is still worth a watch and the story is decent i just expected a lot more from what has been some of the best modern horror films to date.
124 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
alejandro-bonilla8 June 2021
What the movie lacks is originality, I don't think it's good for a movie that the viewer suspects what is going to happen and happens. When I saw the The Conjuring 3 I remembered the reason why I stopped watching the fast and furious movies, I could no longer separate one from the other, because each new sequel was exactly the same as the previous one, mediocre, it hurts because they really could do more . What scared me the most was the original recording of the exorcism that they put with the credits, I think that says it all.
48 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent sequel.... without the scares!
conn-5744126 May 2021
After watching the 'The Conjuring: Devil made me do it' at an early screening last night, I have to admit I was a little disappointed that it didn't live up to the expectations of the previous two films in the main trilogy ( however it stands tall over the spin offs, so don't worry there).

To start off with what I did like, the direction in this instalment is a nice change of pace. With the Warrens looking to save a man on death row after supposedly killing an individual while possessed by a demon. Without going into spoilers the plot shakes things up a bit from the previous two films with the likes of Satanic cults and more or a detective style approach.

I personally would of loved to see more of a focus on the court side of the case and the reaction of the defendants plea, it would of been a really refreshing direction for this film but what we get still isn't bad.

The Warrens are still great in this film with both Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga having a real chemistry on screen and still being one of the most lovable protagonists in horror media in a long time.

However with all this said, I believe this 'horror' film does fail in one department, and that is in its scares.

It's a shame to say as I believe the previous two instalments had some unique moments of terror.

Whereas in this film most moments are so easily telegraphed to an obvious jumpscare that you can see a mile away, or more unique set pieces unfortunately spoilt by the trailers.

With all that said, this is still a decent sequel, just not the terrifying sequel I had hoped for!
184 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another generic entry into "The Conjuring" franchise...
paul_haakonsen6 June 2021
I must admit that when I sat down to watch the 2021 addition to "The Conjuring" franchise, I was not harboring much of any overly great expectations or hopes, because since the first movie it has been a steady downward slope.

Still, as I had the chance to sit down and watch "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" from writers David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick and James Wan. So of course I did it.

And I have to say that director Michael Chaves managed to deliver a movie that was only slightly entertaining. "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" was a whole lot of nothing going on, and you can essentially just watch the beginning and the last 25 minutes of the movie and skip on everything in between.

The storyline written for "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" was bland and slow paced, with very little of much excitement or interest happening in between the start and the end of the movie. And that ultimately led to a less than mediocre movie experience for me.

And yeah, I am a horror veteran, so "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" was a walk in park. There were a few jump scare moments to be had here, but they could be seen coming a mile away. And the storyline wasn't particularly dark, brooding or scary. So this was not an impressive foray into the horror genre.

I will say that the special effects in "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" were good, and they definitely added something worthwhile to the movie. And "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" is not a movie that is a make or break experience with its special effects, but they do add a good element to the overall experience of the movie.

The acting in the movie was good, but of course we are talking about actor Patrick Wilson and actress Vera Farmiga here, whom singlehandedly have been carrying the franchise with their performances. And true to the formula, they are the ones making it watchable again with the 2021 "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It". It should also be noted that the casting of Eugenie Bondurant as the occultist was a spot on choice, because she was genuinely creepy with her performance.

As I entered this movie with no expectations I can't say that I was disappointed with the end result. But take heed, this is by no means a milestone in the horror cinema.

"The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" came and went without leaving a lasting impression for me, just as the numerous other movies in the franchise - as their spin-off movies - have done. I can't tell them apart if you were to ask me what the second movie was about, for instance.

My rating of the 2021 "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" lands on a less than mediocre four out of ten stars. Sure, it was a watchable movie, and if you are new to the horror genre, then you will be in for something good I suppose. But if you expect a bit more from the movies you sit down to watch then "The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It" just doesn't cut it.
24 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Scooby doo live-action movie without horror?
diegocoda8 June 2021
Yep, the saga just lost the main factor of their movies, the horror, this movie just feels like a mystery movie where you need to follow the leads and find the bad guy and is not boring the only problem is that is not what we want to see, we go and see this specific movie for horror but is never appear, in my opinion, is a good story but wrong franchise and that makes it the worst one of the saga(leaving Anabelle 3 out)
21 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Abracadaver...
Xstal4 June 2021
Invoking everything you've seen before and embellishing it without mystery, suspense or tension, devil clearly not in the detail, the only nightmare: you wake and recall watching it the next day!
66 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Entertainer, Don't believe the negative reviews!
amritpalsingh-155645 June 2021
People should stop complaining about this is missing or that is missing. Just enjoy the movie its worth a watch.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True story (well sounds better if you say it is)
kosmasp25 June 2021
So I did not research the couple that is depicted here, but it always sounds better if you say that something is based on something real and true. This is pure horror but it still was a nice double bill with A Quiet Place 2 at the Festival I saw them the other day - so good to be back in cinemas. Now you may think that that may have swayed me to give this a bit of a higher/better rating that you would have given it ... maybe, but then again I am known for being nice to movies most of the time, than the other way around.

Now I would say that you do not need to know the other movies to enjoy this. But of course if you do know your Conjuring-verse you will recognize certain things and have some fun with it. Just when Annabelle is mentioned for example ... but apart from those "funny" moments, you also have some genuine comedy in it. Let that not fool you ... because it also has a lot of scary moments ... and while you will probably be able to know where this is going, it still is very well told ... with a very tender and romantic moment towards the end, that made the audience go "awww" ... yes even horror can do that.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
That Was Intensely Satisfying!
BrnzReviews5 June 2021
I've been waiting for this moment for a very long time, another addition to 'The Conjuring' & its brilliant. I've always been as much of a fan of horror/scary movies as much as the next guy but this was so satisfying to watch, it was so good to get back into the dark room vibe, any time i watch these types of movies i always do so in a pitch black room, the story of this was excellent, enough build up scenes to have you questioning why wasn't this made sooner!

The Conjuring delivers in the best way possible, I was throughly intrigued in this horrifying tale with a story that is a compelling one that sure to keep you entertained and there's no question about that.the cast were amazing i particularly enjoyed Ed Warren (Patrick Wilson) I thought he was really great to watch in this.

Highly recommend it was awesome! A great addition to the horror genre.
47 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the horror?!
dhirenjb3 June 2021
This movie is such a drag. So unlike the previous installments. There is absolutely no tension and you don't feel connected with the characters.

Put Wan back into the director's chair !
354 out of 468 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really not good; pales in comparison to the first two...
kjc-322055 June 2021
This sequel should have been left alone. The story is so filled with inconsistencies and silliness that it is just hard to include it as part of the original Warren saga. The directing was generic and the plot was more like heroes versus villain rather than a good solid horror story or retelling of the Warren's cases. So sad to see good solid actors put in a movie where their talents are just simply wasted. Not worth seeing...
63 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alright sequel could be worse
AdrenalinDragon26 May 2021
Maybe I'm starting to get a bit of fatigue from these Demonic/Exorcism films, but it was just alright. Nothing groundbreaking and plays things straight, but fairly competently shot and well executed effects. If anything, the Warrens are what kept me going from start to finish. Without them, it definitely wouldn't be nearly as good. The weakest of the three main Conjuring movies pretty easily though. Perhaps James Wan needs to come back. That being said could be worse.

6/10.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glad I saw in IMAX even though I was the only one there!
UniqueParticle9 June 2021
Very worthy sequel kinda surprised more didn't enjoy it, it's quite effective and had plenty of scares! I really like the way the cinematography and lighting was done not enough think about these aspects except the crew but I was impressed. Loraine and Ed deal with a really tough case with evil totems among other aspects which I think are all well done; makes me want to re watch the other films.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fell Asleep
amyemcdonald-916265 June 2021
Boring. Also Hollywood, just a tip...that cracking sound of a body distortion while possessed are bones cracking. A host could never survive that once the demon is gone so please tell better stories rather relying on this silly contortionist nonsense...
142 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The weakest entry in the conjuring universe so far
Abdulxoxo8 June 2021
Like the first two films, this one is again loosely based on a true story. Ed and Lorraine Warren are called upon to help exorcise a demon from a young boy. This would lead to the demon passing into another body, whom it would use to commit a murder. The case would go to court, where it would be the first example of a defence of demonic possession being made. It's then down to the Warrens to investigate and somehow try to prove, to a legal standard, the existence of demons.

That plot makes this film sound so much more interesting than it actually was. To be fair, the opening act was good. The whole exorcism sequence was nicely staged and effectively creepy. The performances from Wilson and Farmiga were typically impressive. From there you would think the film will go somewhere but it's unfortunately downhill after that. The performances of Wilson and Farmiga continued to be good throughout. The score wasn't bad either. However, the story this time felt surprisingly dull. The main focus of the plot in fact revolved around a curse, which had been cast by an evil spirit. This has the core concept to be a much better film than it turned out to be. The jump scares were all predicable. The supporting characters were boring. The main villain left no lasting impact. When compared to the first two Conjuring films, this one just felt like a disappointment.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.