Raatchasan (2018) Poster

(2018)

Chest Paining, 2.5 hours RollerCoaster Ride
bhavninder5 October 2018
I watched Ratsasan today and was compelled to review and ask movie buffs to add this masterpiece thriller in their wish-list. This is a rollercoaster ride which doesn't let you comfortably sit in your seat. This is the longest rollercoaster I have ever sat on. Very gripping narrative, with a mind numbing, soul quenching background score. From cinematography to editing to acting, all in all a masterpiece. Movies first half ends at a point, where you are hungry to discover the killer but the second half leaves you at the edge of your seat until you reach home, still in the reminiscences of the killer, one struggles to sleep. Yes, all of this despite being completely unfamiliar with Tamil language.
96 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The edge of seat thriller after a long time which is scarier than many horror movies.
saikrishnanramakrishnan913 October 2018
The main advice for watching this film as said in Idharkkudhaane aasaipattai Balakumara "It should not be watched by 1) People less 18 of age 2) Pregnant ladies 3) Heart patients"

Though it's not a Horror film, the movie is scarier, especially second half.

Story: The movie started as a usual crime film, but tone became darker when the movie started to progress. The backstory of Psycho was good.

Screenplay: The screenplay in this movie is engaging and brilliant. First half seems to be normal. But, the true fear starts in its second half, though there are very few loopholes.

Music: The best one about the movie is its BGM. 80% of the fear is because of its BGM. The dark music which completely matched the film. Gibran again proved himself to be the best music director.

Acting: All actors did their best. This is the best movie ever for both Vishnu Vishal and Amala Paul in terms of acting. All the other actors dedicated well.

Other things: The runtime in this movie is too long which is around 2 Hours and 50 minutes. But one doesn't feel that the movie is dragging, because of the engaging screenplay. Each and every scene in this movie is essential. Moreover, editing was crispier which added more thrill to the film.

On the whole, it would be a great movie if you watch it in theatre.

My rating: 4.5/5
42 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting, Intense, Best thriller Indian movie
barnwal-usa26 December 2018
This is amongst the best thriller movie to come out of India. Period.

Now I'll rant a little. I'm a Hindi speaker. Why can't bollywood make even close to such movies. Nepotism and Khan kapur nexus has destroyed our movie industry!!
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding, amazing thriller in Tamil history
mobf-150209 October 2018
Must watch movie.....When i saw the movie, i can feel my hearbeat sounds faster. Each and every short,vishual's is outstanding & perfect, No words to say..., 100%% sucess.....movei, spoilers Please dont degrade this wonderful Movei.
29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie made with a lot of heart... 10/10
aravindprasannan19956 October 2018
Great plot, good execution, and great performances made this a memorable outing for me...

First of all, would love to see Vishnu Visal going forward selecting good stories like this. Indru Netru Naalai was a similar selection from him. Here too, he selected a proper psycho-thriller, which I haven't seen executed this well in recent years in Indian cinema. Making a 2hr 45 min long movie takes guts these days. It shows how confident the director was, with the content.

A lot of set-ups and pay-offs are there in the movie, which spring up every now and then making it interesting. The BG Score by Ghibran was great, kept me glued to the screen. The children performed so well in their respective roles, and so did Amala Paul, Kali Venkat, Nizhalgal Ravi, etc.. The twists were believable, and not the familiar one-twist saves all kindof mediocre stuff.

It tests your observation throwing stuff right in front of your eyes, and hiding them perfectly. Worth a watch...
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gibran is the Real Ratsasan - BGM haunts you
sree_thala8 October 2018
After Deeran, yet another highly impactful movie which gets elevated by Gibran's BGM. The antagonist detailing was so perfect and this Indian movie will surely give you goosebumps like hollywood thriller Seven etc.,

A must watch for any language viewer who loves psychological thrillers.

36 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Direction
shriharijawahar20 November 2018
One of great Tamil movie based on direction and screenplay.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nailed it
hanumansreeram6 October 2018
A dictionary to the upcoming suspense/thriller movies.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best psycho thriller
santhoshcoolst9 October 2018
Director maintain thin line without crossing the violence... He conveyed the violence in musics, which makes the movie a real psycho thriller... Vishnu not played in the role of COP (HE LIVED AS COP)
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
koushikswarup19 November 2018
One of the best movie in South india. The way the story potrayed is fantastic with regular twists. Super story
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best!!! A benchmark set.
shibilchavarattil17 November 2018
A benchmark set for next upcoming psycho thrillers.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG what did I just watch
ash56225 January 2019
This has to be one of the best Tamil movies I've seen. I watched it with English subtitles and was blown away. On par with Seven as far as serial killer movies go. Highly highly recommend it.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Stellar Thriller!!!
krish-lararaider7 October 2018
Gritty, Dark, Compelling and Unforgiving.... Raam Kumar has done it again!!! This is from the guy who gave us " Mundasupatti".. Hats Off Director! And the performances are Top Notch!!! A Milestone in Vishnu Vishal's Career. It has some tiny teeny flaws that can definitely be forgotten.As far as Killer/Slasher movies go in Tamil, this will be remembered for a long Time. Don;t miss it....
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shud hav trimmed the length n removed the lousy slow motion scenes. Nevertheless, a captivating serial killer film with terrific music n a hot actress.
Fella_shibby7 February 2019
I came across this title on IMDb n the synopsis piqued up interest. As a fan of serial killer films n aft seeing almost every Hollywoood, Korean, Spanish n German serial killer films, I can vouch that this film is well made for fans of the genre. I am not familiar with any of the star cast, director or people involved with this film. The lead actor is decent n the actress very hot. The plot is about a man who is obsessed with serial killers n who wants to join film making business but out of family pressure has to join police police force. At the same time there is a serial lurking in the cops's precinct killing young girls. The female who played the cop's sis cannot act for sure. Some of the action sequences were laughable n also the last scene with the cop n the killer face to face n the then hide n seek n the action was a bit lousy. The house of the killer had a creepy feel to it n there is sufficient tension n suspense. The background story of the killer was given too much time, in fact the problem with Indian cinema is that they spoon feed too much but thank God there were no lousy songs n unnecessary muscle flaunting. The film deserves a 7 but I am a bit generous with an 8 cos of the effort.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wake up, Hollywood.
nairsandeep-923323 May 2019
Call me delusional. Call me a sensationalist. Call me a lunatic.

Nothing will stop me from hyperbolising this masterpiece. When I die, I want a copy of this movie to be cremated alongside me to be watched in my afterlife.

This movie absolutely epitomises how slept upon Tamil cinema truly is. If this was released in English, it would gross a copious amount of money, gain numerous accolades and be stored in a time capsule to be viewed by future generations. It is a hallmark of the talent that is being encouraged in the industry right now and I commend those who back such brilliant minds and favour them over the recycled "mass-era" malarkey.

The movie does a crafty job of building up a likeable character in Arun, a young lad with the enthusiasm to achieve great heights paired with a healthy will to serve. He is not scared to explore his boundaries and think outside the box. He is willing to take chances that nobody else would take and believe in himself when nobody else believes him. His inquisitiveness is his gift but it leads to despicable uncoverings, one that would be taboo in cinema 10 years ago. This character is almost at a parallel with Ram - he is willing to push boundaries.

Special mention to the BGM producers and everybody involved in the sound department. I don't have superlatives to explain how well they have done. From my memory, I can't remember a movie with a such a significant role in enhancing/potentiating the emotion of the movie.

This is not only South Indian cinema. This is Indian cinema. Wake up Hollywood. India is in town.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies in tamil cinema!!!
ddhanushram15 October 2018
This is a rare kind of movie where in you get hooked to the movie right from the beginning to the end..Movies like this come once in a blue moon in Indian cinemas..Ratsasan is a gem equally as effective as that of hollywood thrillers in terms of technical work Positives: 1.Ghibran:Man!!! He is the backbone of the movie..his music intensified the thrill..Terrific BGm 2.Story:I don't think find tamil movies with script as strong as this one..You will get deceived multiple times because of the twist 3.Vishnu:He lifts the movie with his shoulders but I feel bad for him as he is too much underrated..Talented personalities like him should be recognized well by audience rather than praising the few people who does the same kind of role repeatedly Negatives: Amala Paul:I don't know the reason why she was in the movie..No role for her Romantic scenes:Could have been removed to make this as a cult thriller Overall this movie was just awesome..Watch it and you will never regret going to it
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ratsasan a exhilarating movie!
sangamithra-213128 October 2018
Great script and congrats to Ram. Watched the movie and was thrilled and felt I was experiencing the scenes along with Vishnu. No flaws and even if there were it was not visible.. Every week there are movies releasing, this was not one among them. It's unique and hats off to the entire team.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh boy!!!
trajkumarkumar13 November 2018
Usually Hollywood movies in my mind all the time, but this movie not getting out of my mind.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly recommended for thriller genre lovers
jgkrishnak3 November 2018
Definitely gives you the impression of one of the greatest thriller in Indian cinema
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
South Director make this Mistake Everytime
harshalsable12 August 2019
This Movie is On Another Level. But South Director should Dub their movies in All Indian Languages especially Hindi. Many people even dont know about this Masterpiece. Because of this Bollywood Makes remake of this type of movies.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best tamil crime movie
narayanan-161205 October 2018
An unexpected scene ,crime thriller, back ground music always super
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish, Fast-Paced And Full Of Twists. Fans Of Thrillers DO NOT Miss This One!
Amyth477 December 2018
My Rating : 10/10 ♠ MASTERPIECE ♠

To begin with, I generally refrain from giving a 10/10 rating to every movie I happen to fall in love with immediately but this here is an exception. One of the main reasons being that not a single second is boring and the speed with which the narrative moves is refreshing for its 2 hrs 25 mins runtime length. The other being that I am always looking and searching for a good thriller that lights up parts of my brain in all the wonderful ways only a thriller can.

This certainly went above and beyond my expectations. Watching 'Ratsasan' is like going on an exhilarating rollercoaster ride which doesn't want to end until the viewer is satisfied and has been left completely quenched from their craving for a thriller. It is unique and infinitely creative as far as storytelling goes for the thriller genre.

'Ratsasan' defines what edge-of-your-seat really means. It masterfully balances all the elements of a great thriller with an intelligence and style that only a handful of movies have mastered as of yet. 'The Silence of the Lambs' and 'Se7en' come to mind and in recent times 'Gone Girl' and 'The Invisible Guest'.

'RATSASAN' IS ONE OF THE BEST THRILLERS I'VE EVER SEEN.10/10.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My head is still spinning !!
sharaf-innovazions2 November 2018
What a movie !!! No words to describe the on-screen performances, direction and the amazing background score. Start to end you will be glued to the movie. Hats off to everyone involved. A must watch for any movie lover.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made me nervous.
chaitumhyd30 November 2018
Excellent movie with great action and script. Made me very nervous though.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantabulous!
imrahuljan18 November 2018
The film is a limited edition. If there's a book of how a thriller film should be made, this movie would be a perfect example! From story to execution, the film deserves a standing ovation! Kudos to the team!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.