Discovering Bigfoot (Video 2017) Poster

(2017 Video)

It is hard to overstate how horrible this film is
solitudeape16 January 2018
I doubt I can add anything to the comprehensive list of reviews below. What claims to be a documentary is actually a full length infomercial on Todd and his business which is to bring people into the woods and expose them to bigfoot. As a believer in sasquatch, I came into this wanting to learn more. Instead, I watched a man desperate to get attention to how cool he is blather on. I wondered at times if he is in on the joke after one too many scenes of him running around like a weekend commando and listening to audio of him chastise himself for not finding focus properly. I learned absolutely nothing but that bigfoot can steal 2 hours of my time and I can do nothing about it.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Frustrating!
michael-2466123 December 2017
Before going any further, I would love to believe that, out there in the wilderness, there are creatures that us humans have not yet discovered and I have watched several films about the "bigfoot" and none of them have shown me any absolute, definitive proof. Having watched this latest film, I'm still waiting for that proof.

Here's a hint, if you're going to convince the rest of the world of the existence of these creatures, you absolutely and definitely need to take very clear, very unambiguous footage of them. It's no good for us to watch you describing to a professor about the sounds you heard one night, the tracks you saw one day - RECORD IT! There are no excuses these days for not having at least one camera on all the time. Also, I found the whole film very fragmented, with no real narrative structure. The random placement of "sasquatch footage" was bizarre and was only explained later in the film. Admittedly though, the creatures do look convincing, if it's CGI then it's extremely well done, if it's costumes and make-up then a great deal of care and attention has gone into it but, if it is real, then there really needs to be some supporting dialogue when the the footage is shown about where and when and how he got each clip. There's another sequence where the filmmaker is being attacked by several of the creatures in the middle of the night. There is also footage and audio but, as he is pointing out the growls from each creature, a manufactured synth sound is added, it's like a very low hollow pad, something you'd use for atmosphere, and it's not explained why. There also seems to be a complete lack of hair caught on branches or trees too, surely this would happen as the creatures pass through a dense forest area? Same goes for their droppings, or do they shit it home? Why didn't he set up some cameras where he left the apples? How much of the "evidence" shown can be explained by the presence of bears? So many questions, so few answers.

The whole film is interspersed with clips of the filmmaker running about the wilderness like some kind of one man SAS unit, complete with dramatic music, sweeping overhead filming, running, jumping - ACTION MAN! NOW WITH EAGLE EYES! You really need to drop all that shit if you want to be taken seriously because, as it stands, it's shameless self-promotion and a pathetic attempt to make you look like some kind of action hero.

Overall, if you're interested in the subject you're probably going to watch it anyway, but if you're looking for some new, definitive proof that these creatures do exist, then I think that, like me, you're just going to have to wait for the next film to come along and claim that they have definitely seen it this time.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An ok mockumentary
tim-9207431 December 2018
I can only believe that this is a mockumentary, a well done one, but still made up. This is the 21st century, there are so many methods available to people nowadays that this guy could have used to gain positive evidence of the existence of bigfoot, so why doesn't he have it? As previously stated give us some tangible evidence, DNA would be irrefutable, the videos just don't look real, no facial movement at all, looks like a mask, sorry.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great laugh, but not much of a documentary
shaunvanhaelewijn20 December 2017
First things first. Yes, I believe that there could very well be living Sasquatch out there. Now we've got this out of the way, let's focus on this "documentary".

The introduction goes almost on for 10 minutes on how well Todd (the film maker) is trained in everything, while you see him running in full sniper camouflage gear/suit. This all topped with some cheap music to create some false suspension. I was crying and laughing at the same time. At times I just wondered if all of this was one big joke, and some college kid made one of the best parody comedies ever. I wish...

This documentary is based on some bad crappy footage of supposed to be Sasquatch. And some close ups who look very real (I must admit) and actually could very well be something significant. This said and done, you would expect the documentary maker would take his claims further and will try to hunt for better footage than he already has given. Wrong. What he does is take you on a boring 1 hour 30 minute journey, showing you every footprint he claims to be Sasquatch. Suddenly every noise that was made, is produced by a Sasquatch. And when you think this couldn't get any worse, he starts talking about how he is supposedly being followed very close. And he even starts to draw out paths, and even describes how many Sasquatch are following him, and how they look like. Sadly for the viewer, not one shred of film footage is given, backing this up. To back up his claims he involves two professors. Everything he does is just put pressure on this two people. Just at the point it's not even funny anymore. He lacks total healthy self criticism. This documentary is clearly made by a fan boy, desperately trying to prove that this things exist. Nothings else matters.

Todd is probably a great guy. And I believe he is a great enthousiast, and I hope he will one day find the smoking gun, that for once can proof their existence. But for the love of god, never again make a documentary. Please?
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm interested, but...
whocontrolsyourmouth31 December 2017
Todd, you're simply not delivering the goods. We don't need another ghost hunter reality TV show. We need something that's harder to fake..

Show us some hair or scat or any kind of DNA to confirm that it's unique. You've allegedly got specimens standing in places you've prepared. Use hair traps in those areas.

Also, do what it takes to get a decent rotary wing drone with gyro stabilized conventional and infrared cameras. Good aerial footage of multiple animals navigating rugged terrain would be very compelling.

And don't stop there. You say you know where they live. Get a high altitude fixed wing drone into the mix. Follow them home after one of your apple parties. You could document group behavior with very low risk of exposure.

That coupled with hard DNA evidence would go a long way to building scientific consensus and lower the probability of actually having to capture one to end the controversy.

So there you go, big guy. If you can't pick it up and run from there, then you're just another grifter. Please prove me wrong.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS IS A 90 MINUTE AD FOR A "SASQUATCH ENCOUNTER" TOUR
whocontrolsyourmouth2 January 2018
It's looking pretty grim here folks. Go to sylvanic.com and all that's offered there is a $5K encounter adventure with Todd. It would seem he's far more interested in taking people into the middle of nowhere and scaring the shit out of them than actually proving his claims.

I sent him an email on how to get the evidence (hair traps and decent drones) to objectively confirm his claims. No response.

Sorry Todd, your little flick to market your bullshit "meet the sasquatch" camp out fell on its face. I guess your sasquatch masks should have been a good clue. They look little to nothing like one another and the one peering through the log is obviously a gorilla mask.

I'm sorry you have to wake up every morning and still be a piece of shit grifter. But hey, maybe you're a true psychopath and genuinely can't help yourself.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Contemptable garbage
limeyboy22 August 2018
If you're fooled by the usual wobbly videos and blurry photographs you will probably believe the blobby thermal imaging too. This pathetic third rate attempt at speudoscience could only convince the true believer. For the more objective minded viewer I recommend some better made fiction.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delusional trash
tdatrufe26 December 2017
This nitwit is a fraud, this documentary is garbage and if hes really set out to convince people there is big foot, which apparently is an 8ft ninja ape who steals apples and never manages to be captured on any kind of film, all this piece of shit documentary did is prove otherwise. This delusional fraudulent garbage doesnt belong on netflix, it belongs being deleted, erased from the internet for good and any hard copies thrown into a garbage bin and set on fire.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely pointless.
adert-292187 June 2018
It doesn't matter where you stand on the existence of bigfoot, this "documentary" is a waste of time. It's an incoherent mess of scenes with little to no relation to each other, and comes across more as an advertisement for the directors guided tours into the forest than anything else.

I never heard about Todd Standing before I happened across this thing on Netflix, but my impression is that he's just an obvious hoaxer. He claims to have had incredibly close contact with giant creatures, but conveniently has nothing but footage of shadows and two still images of what I think he claims are faces of bigfoot. I thought they were supposed to be recreations, or something like that, because of how fake they look, but apparently he's claiming they are real. Literally looks like a muppet.

The premise of the documentary is just so incredibly weird that I'm assume most of the bigfoot community also think it's a fake. Todd claims to have had contact with these creatures for years, and that he leaves apples out for them and they *always* take them. Now, if I could predict exactly where a cryptid would appear like that, I would set up a trail cam. That's just me, though.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I do recommend to watch it! It's amusing!
mrzibbo31 December 2017
Where to start? This film is hilarious! It's so phony and so fake, it is an insult to intelligence ...or maybe made just for good laugh! I really enjoyed stupidity of it, it's sooo bad.. I mean very badly made.. but it's also bloody funny! Just watch it guys :) enjoy "delicious apples" scene, oh man, I pissed my pants it was so hilarious. Why I would give 2 stars and not one? One star because it's so bad and another because its a good laugh!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Definitive Truth is still out there
bill-wj25 February 2018
In the early 1900's, there was a guy called Frank Buck, bring them back alive, was his slogan. He came back from Africa with all kinds of animals that they put in zoos, that most people never saw before. One time he came back he told a tale about this hairy man- like animal. A lot of people laughed. He brought one back. It was a gorilla!! There has been too many sightings world wide of the abominable snowman, to sasquatch to swamp ape. Sure, there's been a lot of phoney's out there making a joke of it as people do with flying saucers, until they SEE ONE. As they say in Missouri, SHOW ME. I'm a degreed biologist, I trust there is something out there and one day, you will see for yourselves, the truth.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Shot, Withut Evidence
timmccullough-1478824 December 2017
The author presents a video of a "Sasquatch" encounter, but decides not to use an infrared camera to provide clear evidence. Just uses blurry night vision and various camera angles. Everything in the movie conveniently happens to him, and you just missed it, over and over. And he presents it as indisputable. Bailed at 30 min.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best comedy by far
kjjames8110 June 2018
Here you get some guy in camouflage, who according to him, spent many years as a sniper making more noise than a city full of football fans.

Then you get a very large area of where these beings live and somehow the so called expert noisy sniper and some PhD doctors go out and know exactly where this species is going to be, by finding broken branches and small trees put into structures before they get there.

One of the best scenes in this film was when the apples were taken, I never laughed so much watching a documentary.

Do I believe that there are the sasquatch, yes I suppose but this film will not get you any closer to the truth.

Put this with the just as funny most haunted programs and you will some fun watching these.

Watch this but jeep an open mind, this is very badly done.

I dare you to go and watch this and look out for all the really bad things they do for you to be impressed.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time on this
aneandreassen2 April 2018
This is a really low quality documentary. There is no consistency and it's clearly "homemade". As a viewer you're left with a hard-to-follow mess from start to finish.

The filmmaker, Todd Standing, comes off as a bigfoot fanboy who is entirely convinced bigfoot is out there. He is ready to shove those beliefs down the throats of the poor professors who joins him in his search. Although I'm not sure we can really call it a search at all. He spends most of his time looking at broken trees and holes in the ground, as well as placing apples on branches but no camera to record who takes them. He doesn't really present any real proof, and as the viewer he just expects you to take his word for it and believe everything he says. He has some close-ups of "bigfoot" that looks real good if fake, but if real: why is there no info on where and when he filmed this? Why doesn't he go in any more detail on these clips? Why aren't they analyzed by an expert? Maybe because they are fake? Believing this guy is hard enough as is, he makes it even harder with the clips of him running around wearing military gear, camera in hand, like some sort of maniac.

If anything this documentary is kinda funny. Would do better as a parody of a bigfoot documentary. I actually hope that's what this is.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God Awful
s-43342-8918331 December 2017
Please don't waste your time or money on this film. There was no hard evidence and it is just a guy prancing around in the woods with a camera. Thanks for wasting.30 minutes of my.life. why 30 minutes? Because I had to turn it off, it was so bad!!!
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jesus wept
rubiesanddust29 December 2017
I knew I was in for a bumpy ride when a mere four minutes in the brilliant narrator/star/director blandly states that bats are blind. Now I'm not a zoologist, nor a naturalist and I know bats aren't blind, how come he doesn't?

He shows some very clear and wonderful "photos" of bigfoot and even mentions that they look like drawings, well yeah. And the one where it blinks looks like a GIF!

I was especially amused at Jeffrey Meldrum who dances and sidesteps and smirks his way through the film. I've seen him in any number of bigfoot programs but never where I felt he was going to break down into hysterical laughter at any minute.

If you believe in bigfoot your feelings are going to be hurt by this piece of garbage, if you don't, your intelligence is going to be insulted like never before. In any case it did make me laugh and there was some pretty country shown so I gave it an extra star.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this is very good
sydneyfelixdan9 January 2018
This is a very good documentary, it should be on cable tv
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Fake
asimriffhat11 February 2018
Firstly I do believe that there might be a lot of creatures unknown to us and some we barely know about like Sasquatch. But this documentary is just plain shit. All these videos are fake and what proof do we have that those were not some jerks in costumes, One important thing i noticed is that usually even in clear videos there is no sign of Sasquatch blinking that gives a solid proof that these are just costumes. Also there were no sample collection of DNA even after being this close to a Sasquatch. I know i might be interrupting your fairy tail with fake visual aids but what can i say after this low budget non realistic documentary.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lot of Filler and Not Very Killer...
splindorf1 January 2018
If you have an open mind and an interest in sasquatch, then this is worth a watch. However, there is a lot of pathetic filler footage that adds little to nothing to the "documentary". Why does he think anyone wants to watch all the footage of him literally just running around in the woods and through creeks?! I think it would have been better received and much easier to watch if it was edited down to about 40 minutes from the ridiculous 100 minutes it was released at. The interactions with Dr.'s Meldrum and Bindernagel are interesting simply to see their reactions to Todd Standing's overzealous assertions. As is common with this subject, the night footage of supposed interactions is of relatively poor quality which makes it painfully obvious that it could have been faked. The closeup photos/videos seem to contradict themselves given the striking differences in appearance between the 3 subjects. Chewbacca, Ewok and a chimpanzee anybody? There is one encounter that is compelling, but again it's easy to envision how it could have been faked with some off-screen accomplices and trick photography. Somewhat interesting, but it's definitely not going to persuade anybody that sasquatch exists.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where's the bigfoot?
kosmasp25 May 2019
According to the filmmakers: the is the bigfoot - where? There - can't you see? You can't? Well then you are not alone. While there is "evidence" it is not conclusive. Not to mention that it is doctored or fuzzy. The only question I had: was this meant to be a mockumentary? But most indicators were not pointing that way and it looks like someone just made this to get attention and maybe even money for their scam tours.

Most want to believe there is a bigfoot and let's keep it real, there are so many things still out there we have not explored or even seen yet, nothing is out of the realm of possibilities. Unfortunately this hoax of documentary is not a step in the right direction, feeding us little snippets, but being nonsensical and not coherent overall. Don't waste your time - unless you're having a worst documentary party with some friends ...
Are you joking?
uwhuntr13 May 2019
Is this a joke? I'm not a believer in Bigfoot, and after watching this whole program....It reinforces my reasons why I don't. I was expecting this guy at some point in the show, to break character and say...."Haha, I got you!"
No proof found
meakin3021 March 2019
To me this does not prove the existence off big foot. This is a mans self gratification off what he believes but the documentary is badly put together. With modern technology it does not really offer any new proof. It a waste off two hours off your life. There are far better programmes out there. It's two hours off sketchy foot prints and broken trees and sounds that could be manufactured or anything. And the actual pictures off so called big foot well I'll leave that up to your own opinion !
fraud and kook
aspekd4 January 2019
Honestly, really good fictional documentary. however, i wouldn't take this producer, Todd Standing is not at all creditable in his findings our sources. after completing this home-made video, he tried to sue the government to prove his point... has he ever shared the fact he is considered and formally diagnosed with mental disorders? this guy was cashing disability benefit cheques to fund his little outdoor camping trips while seeing his doctor for psychiatric disorder. would you believe anything a man whose not in the right state of mind and sits in the wilderness alone says? i dont think so, especially if he is trying to scam insurance companies and trying to make $$ off suing the government with a video of a guy in a costume haha
Well done research - Any Real honest searcher knows this
hulsitalianplasters9 January 2018
Those who blatantly attack this project do not have any reality to what is involved in honest research of the Sasquatch critter. The photos, video and close ups are real, as per others all over the N.American Continent have attested to. Their eye witness reports, interviews substantiate the behavior, wood structures, signs, etc. of this known animal. I am glade Todd and his team did this. Todd is one of the handful who don't go out and play finding bigfoot, they actually find the habitat, Track them down to their homes, and interact with a very intelligent animal. Other researchers who also track them and get very close, also at the risk of bodily injury, some have been injured and attack. So this is not a game. so to outright dismiss this material is a sign of un educated thinking, common sense, and a lack of curiosity. Note: if you desire to experience what Todd has and others, just contact Todd an plan a trip into the deep dark woods, and its that simple, you will discover for yourself truth. If your brave enough.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING
maggiereygers25 December 2017
L have watched many documentaries on the Bigfoot subject, this is the best one out there. I listen and understood what Todd was trying to get the audience to take. Most critical people are doubters for a reason and Todd was educating the public step by step for that reason. Imagine how many times he has had to get people to believe him. I'm a believer and I believe he is out in the deep bush alone for the purpose of learning how interact with a Sasquatch's. This film covers 20 years of his work, not a week or two. I believe we could learn a lot from Todd, and I look forward to seeing what he puts out next. Thanks For Your Hard Work. Maggie Reygers
4 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.