Watchmen (TV Mini-Series 2019) Poster

(2019)

Not Watchmen
bgates-0943720 November 2019
What an absolute disgrace to the Watchman name.

The comics and 2009 movie did such a fantastic job focusing on big picture issues, tackling the tense geopolitical climate during the Nixon administration, deep philosophies such as the meaning of life and the people's right to know vs. international peace.

The HBO television show stripes away all that and instead focuses solely on race. The white supremacists have adopted the Rorschach mask as their symbol (which is incredibly misguided as that's not what he stood for), and the mask wearing police hunt down these white supremacists with a shoot first ask questions later mentality, using torture on suspects without batting an eye.

No doubt supporters of the show will declare that haters are either too dumb to understand the show's little mysteries or are just plain racists if they dislike the show.

If Hollywood wants to create a race-baiting radically liberal television show, by all means go for it, just please don't call it Watchmen. Add this to the unfortunate miss column for Alan Moore along with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
113 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A misfire.
roccoroccorocco22 October 2019
I really wanted to like it. I'm all about thought provoking shows, and ideas that challenge society. This show feels like it completely missed the entire point of the original graphic novel. The original Watchmen focused on many different political issues that gave it a larger over arching narrative on society. That's absolutely not what this show does. It's way too on the nose and comes off more like pandering to very specific demographic rather then talking about society as a whole and how all of the systems in it are broken and apart of the problem. It felt disjointed. Story elements make no sense. Characters make decisions that make no sense. Things that should easily be explained to progress the story left the myself and people who I watched this with more confused then engaged. It feels like it takes elements of the original story and misrepresents and misuses them.
110 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard To Watch-Man
northdakotaboone10 November 2019
It seems they simply took characters from the Watchmen graphic novels / movie and inserted them into a race based political narrative. This is not a continuation of previous storyline or nature of characters.

This has been a current trend. The critics will praise it, audience will give it poor reviews and will be dubbed "trolls" for disliking it.

The performances and production seem all around pretty good. I personally couldn't get past how badly they high jacked original story and characters.
107 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Guess I'm Not Woke Enough
rdzieg-9303923 April 2020
Made it through the third episode, then just got tired of being told how bad white people are. If there was a point to all of this, I could not care enough to hang around and find out what it was. I can honestly say this is the worst example of reverse racism I've come across since M.A.N.T.I.S. Huge disappointment.
152 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
alexandersamoyloff4 November 2019
This has nothing to do with the original Watchmen. Full of cringe, not even a single likeable character, totally no interesting storylines. As some one not from the USA, I am really surprised that the racial card is played in every single show nowadays. White people are bad, we got this. Can you please stop already?
355 out of 723 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was not what I was expecting!
whirlman127 October 2019
I could not wait to see this show. Watchmen fan from way back, I don't know what I was expecting. But this was not it. I will most likely not watch a second episode. Not sure on the target audience for this show, but I am not in it. Another misfire for HBO.
142 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a pile of garbage!
alexkzapf6 November 2019
How about you stay true to the source material and just do that. Don't take someone else's story and use the name to make your story a success. And in the process make people, that have never read the actual watchmen, believe that your story is true. When it could not be further from the truth.
228 out of 463 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
kevin-paganini24 February 2020
Way too politically charged and terrible storyline.
157 out of 313 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete and utter garbage... writers of this show should be ashamed
richp-2512 November 2019
This is pretty much the most divisive propaganda on TV right now which is saying a lot. I'm latino and thought it was so off putting. Basically the show is all about white people being evil subhumans. The purpose of this show is about one thing and one thing only which is to create resentments in minorities and white guilt in whites. These people will little create racism out of this air. Very irresponsible filmmaking to say the least. I will not be watching any more of this trash.
139 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What on earth is this?
LuckyLockie27 October 2019
Absolutely diabolical, Watchmen was an incredible and intelligent graphic novel. This has nothing to do with the comic other than references to the material. Think about how clever the story arc was and the decisions made by the key characters in the novel. Why not make a 12 episode series based on the novel like the animated comic series as this falls incredibly short of the mark!
258 out of 539 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lindelof strikes again
AlonsoMoseleyFBI28 October 2019
This guy must have the biggest stash of blackmail material on just about every power player in Hollywood !! A truly terrible writer, who has already ruined any "Alien" universe film for me, and is now let loose on Watchmen. Except this ain't Watchmen. They share the name, and that's it. Someone make him stop !!
241 out of 502 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where have all the good writers gone?
seanhigginson4 November 2019
No one seems to be able to construct a watchable story any more, Star Wars, Doctor Who, now this, so instead they focus on political correctness and if you complain you're the bad guy. Remember how good tv and movies used to be, everything nowadays is cheap, watered down and soulless. You've got to grab your audience's attention in the first ten minutes, this lost mine in 2. Eventually I gave up on this after 40 minutes, got tired of being preached to, don't know what it's supposed to be, granted I never read the comics, but it's nothing like the film. I find it highly suspicious that all the reviews on here are bad, yet it's supposedly beating the Walking Dead (Another show suffering from a serious case of bad writing) on viewing ratings, and nothing but booming reviews else where hmmm. I agree with the other bad reviews on here, with the way the world is atm, this is the last thing we need on the telly stirring things up. People watch tv to take their brain out of reality for a bit, not to further rile them up.
199 out of 416 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good guys? Bad guys? Who cares! By far, the WORST adaptation of anything that I've ever seen.
domain-515 February 2020

*********SPOILERS EVERYWHERE********

For those of you who loved Alan Moore's Watchmen; don't hold your breath. This show has virtually NOTHING to do with Moore's brilliant Watchmen, or the decent 2009 movie. It's a stupid-fied, politically correct-ified, mishmash train wreck of a series.

Here's an example to clarify. Suppose you see a new series, "Superboy". You like Superboy. You're excited. You watch the first episode, but it shows nothing but the daily life of Smallville's baker. For one second during the show, you see a tiny blue dot flying across the sky, presumably Superboy. One of the cakes the baker bakes, has an icing picture of Superboy on it. The show continues in this fashion. THIS is what Damon Lindelof, creator of this worthless, mean spirited mess, thought would be a superior continuation; instead of simply expanding on what Moore created.

I would guess that Lindelof got the rights to Watchmen cheap, and crassly used the title to attract viewers, when the title of the series is mostly a lie. Again, this series has virtually NOTHING to do with Moore's Watchmen, though it used a few of Moore's characters badly in mostly small capacities.

Instead, it features the police prominently (absolutely the DEAD OPPOSITE, of anything Alan Moore would have done), as the "good guys", who have these astounding powers:

1. A search warrant isn't needed, if you have a "feeling".

2. You do not need "probably cause" if you have a "feeling".

3. No prissy "Miranda rights".

4. With a suspect who has done NOTHING, it's OK to grab them, throw them in the trunk of your car and haul them into the police station; as long as you have a "feeling", of course! No pansy handcuffs, and a comfy back seat!

5. It's OK to deny the suspect a lawyer, even when asked for.

6. It's OK to make an agreement with the suspect, and then break it later, never having intended to honor it, because they're (by the officer's thinking), worthless.

7. You take the results of a high tech lie detector (polygraph), at face value (if it matches the officer's thinking, of course), and use it to justify abuse and torture of the suspect. (In the real world, polygraph results at NOT allowed as evidence in court. The reason for this, is at their absolute best under perfect conditions, with a highly skilled technician (rare), they are still wrong 1/3rd of the time. A high tech polygraph, would still have a high failure rate.)

8. It's OK to brutally beat a suspect, who has done NOTHING, to within an inch of his life, to get information, because you have a "feeling". But it's OK, because it's out of sight of the other officers.

9. OH, and all police officers wear masks, presumably so that you can't press charges against them for the brutal beatings and abuse. (Well, not the explanation in the series, but, actually, more logical.)

Unbelievable.

Regina King, the primary actress, is absolutely terrible. Has she ever has a single acting lesson in her life? Because this stupid, worthless series is SO black/white focused, I will mention that Larence Fishburne is certainly one of my favorite actors, who I welcome in pretty much anything I watch, unlike this incompetent actress.

The rest of the cast? Eh. Who cares? Certainly a gross waste of Jeremy Irons.

The writing? Worthless drek.

Stay far away from this garbage.

My 2¢ worth.

*********SPOILERS EVERYWHERE********
100 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is even going on?
tjbaumann-8823314 November 2019
This show makes zero sense in the aspect of Watchmen. It is all over the place and of course uses HBO liberal references at every possible moment.
134 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Political garbage
philcantonee8 November 2019
Wow they really blew this didn't they? Trivializing racism? Not cool.
109 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When someone tried to cosplay Watchmen, but something went wrong
anthonynehoda18 December 2019
This version of Watchmen looks really cheap, not even close to Snyder's great adaptation. Bad casting, bad scenario, ridiculous dialogues and of course this ugly dr. Manhattan(handsome Squidward).
105 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Political garbage.
jordanrich-741657 November 2019
If you still wonder what coastal elitist Hollywood execs think about middle America, this series will tell you. They've fallen so hard for the hoax of white supremacy that they are creating completely unbelievable villains that are supposed to represent Trump supporters. Divisive, disconnected, disrespectful, garbage.
135 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Swamp thing got cancelled and this hasn't?
stefanfrederic10 November 2019
Trash. garbage once again and a complete waste of source material. It's boring and lacks a good story with characters that you actually give about.

Don't waste your time. Watch Snyder's version instead.
154 out of 324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not watchmen
mercadion30 October 2019
Patched together 1 or 2 things from the comics top brand it watchmen and give it a jump on fanbase. It's a decent show, but gets a 1 star from me for lying about what it is and running off the coattails of a comic it has nothing to do with.
230 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who watches the wokemen?
Ridiculous_Death6 November 2019
Not me. This is quintessential "whypipo bad" tv series of all time. Don't waste your time on this. And I hope this will wake(heh) more people, who will happen to stumble upon this pile of garbage, to growing torrent of woke Hollywood propaganda.
116 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liberals Ruin Good Shows
mitchlb4525 November 2019
I love Watchmen. I loved how in the original Watchmen, possible nuclear holocaust loomed in the background of every scene. The distrust that nations had for each other drove the plot forward. Here, there is no possible nuclear holocaust. Instead of having the shows main problem be avoiding nukes, it is now about avoiding racism. It paints America as the racist country that all the liberals think they're already living in. Meanwhile, despite phenomenal acting and a fantastic budget, the show reads like Elizabeth Warren's talking points in the Democratic debates. I didn't think it was possible, but you ruined Watchmen for me. Thanks a lot.
61 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What I knew would happen. What has happened with all good entertainment.
jimmysegrist21 October 2019
I love the entire comic world and lore of Watchmen and every single character in it. I love, even more so how the director of the movie made slight changes to the characters and story, most of them good, and stayed true to the feeling of the comic. You know what I love the most about this new show? How they scrapped everything that made Watchmen good and turned into political garbage and race baiting. OH WAIT NO, THAT'S NOT AT ALL WHAT I WANT IN ANY FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT AT ALL TODAY! Thank you creator of Lost, one of the worst shows I've ever seen, for destroying another franchise. I almost had faith that I'd come to find a show I actually liked that was made in the last five years.
296 out of 650 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Production quality is good, Series is bad
trobinson-7641428 December 2019
I wanted to wait until this had been out a while before I rated it. I kept hoping it would get better. It may be inspired by the source material, but it is a long way from being what most fans expected.

It is exactly what many of the other reviews say it is. A social justice propaganda show. How woke are you?
88 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overtly politicized and divisive 'storytelling' that has zero to do with Watchmen
Lowcountry_Girl26 October 2019
Really sick and tired of the way the entertainment industry keeps destroying wonderful old franchises that used to entertain us and bring us together by trying to make them woke.

This is a hot mess that's only about the Watchmen titularly. A massive disappointment and a disgrace to the original frankly.
49 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How many 10 star reviews were bought and paid for?
spying-0626416 November 2019
All of the good reviews mention race, politics, and generic praise claiming its perfect. all of the bad reviews comment on the actual show and specific things they didnt like about it. Almost all of the good reviews claim that the bad reviews are just upset special snowflakes complaining about race and politics. Hmm...
48 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.