General Commander (2019) Poster

Typically bad
Leofwine_draca28 January 2021
Seagal seems to be struggling for funding these days, so maybe his days of filmmaking are nearing an end. Judging by the quality of them, we can only hope. This has the same quality as his East European stuff, and Hungary is one of the countries credited in its production, along with finance from the UK and USA. It was actually shot in the Philippines with an international cast. Seagal does his old TICKER trick, staying in a chair for most of the time and only getting out of it for a couple of heavily doubled fight scenes. The rest is a monotonous mish-mash of genre tropes with criminal gangs, kidnappings and shoot-outs the order of the day. I hated it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take the shot.
nogodnomasters2 June 2019
Seagal resurrects his Special Ops character Jake Alexander sometimes called John Alexander or just Alexander or just Jake. He is CIA working in South East Asia going after organ traffickers. When a member of his crew is killed (Seagal didn't take the shot) the CIA breaks up the group and wants to reassign them. Instead, a bunch of them resign and form their own private group to go after the bad guys.

This was bad, even by Seagal standards. Seagal has a bromance in real life with Putin. In this film, he spouts off about the government within the government (Deep State conspiracy theory) and that the CIA obstructs justice. His new group just so happens is armed with a bazooka, just in case the bad guys come at them with a military styled helicopter in downtown Manila. Segal had a fight scene with distorted moves. He doesn't do any high kicks but manages a knee to the groin. He b*tch slaps a guy and blood splatters out of his face. PLOT SPOILER- when he finally shoots him in the head, not only is there blood at the exit wound behind his head but a huge batch of blood where his back was located.

Casting call consisted of not being able to act better than Seagal to show him up. It was tough but they managed to get bad actors and write them horribly cliché lines with an equally bad soundtrack. What was with the Spanish guitar background music for the Philippines?

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity. Pole dancer.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with the title?
classicsoncall16 December 2019
Look, you can't judge these latter day Steven Seagal films in a vacuum. This wasn't great, but it was certainly better than "A Good Man" (2014) and "The Perfect Weapon" (2016), which in my estimation is the worst Seagal flick I've seen so far. I probably shouldn't go to the well too many times, but I have a fondness for the martial arts actor from the old days, and keep hoping he'll turn in something fairly decent. The story line here wasn't too bad even if clichéd, and it's got a handful of pretty women on hand to add to the picture's appeal. This time it's about illicit organ transplant trade, and Jake Alexander's (Seagal) rogue CIA team is called on the carpet for the death of a team member. However there's some kind of disconnect going on between the way the picture started and the way it ended. Early on, before a two week prior flashback that becomes the main story, Jake is refusing to return to CIA service while being interviewed by his handler Thompson (Megan Brown). By the time the story's over, each of Jake's team members wind up quitting without revealing any knowledge they may have of his whereabouts. In the final sequence, Alec Hayes (Rob Rownd) the disgruntled head of the CIA New York City office, dispatches a missile to take out Jake and inadvertently, his partner, somewhere on a remote island. So when could the Alexander/Thompson interview have taken place?
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Your typical Steven Segal C-grade film - with...
Top_Dawg_Critic28 May 2019
Your typical Steven Segal C-grade film - with an actual story, albeit convoluted, and done way better, many times before.

The directing by novice directors Ross W. Clarkson and Philippe Martinez was also terrible with the 1980's blurring, out-of-focus and fading shots, and they failed to direct their cast effectively. Even Segal's few choreographed fight scenes made him look like an amateur martial artist from the terrible directing and editing.

The story and screenplay also by Philippe Martinez was very amateurish and all over the place (literally), with some out of place scenes and shots that make you shake your head, as would some dialogue that may as well have been written by a 5th grader.

The poorest acting was from the CIA director Megan Brown, who seemed like this was her first ever acting role, and the annoying repetitive dialogue the writers gave her certainly didn't help. Byron Gibson was great, as were the rest of the main cast, who held their own without direction, especially novice actor Soraya Torrens in her first major film - who was also easy on the eyes. Segal was his typical boring-personality self, and he should really stick to what he's good at - more martial-arts fighting action, and less acting and dialogue. He also needs to get rid of that dark fake-looking nasty goatee and Dracula forehead hairline. Your eyes just can't keep un-see them, they stand out so much for some reason.

Finally, the score was annoying and very obvious at the wrong times. Nevertheless, an enjoyable lazy Sunday popcorn flick that's been done many times before, with flaws I expected. It's a 6/10 from me.
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Woeful Garbage
Easygoer106 October 2020
A powerful action saga! That's what Amazon has on their website. Seagal is pushing 70!! Give me a break. This is utter trash.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What We've Come to Expect From Seagal
larrys328 May 2019
Not extremely different than many of the Steven Seagal movies we've seen in recent years, as it's filled with loads of cliched and wooden dialogue, violence-some of which is brutal at times, and some plot elements that just make little sense.

Here, Seagal portrays CIA Agent Jake Alexander whose team goes rogue after one of their agents is killed in a raid and the CIA powers-that-be want them to stand down instead of exacting revenge. Jake's team will be after the Camorra Mafia Don Gino Orsetti, whose mob is dealing in the lucrative black market of human organ theft.

Overall, the movie is what we've come to expect from Seagal in recent years
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action but a disinterested lead performance
shakercoola15 September 2019
An American action thriller; A story about a CIA operative who has infiltrated a crime organisation involved in human organ trafficking. The film features impressive visual effects, stunts, explosions and shootouts and plentiful location shots of foreign locales. A couple of stand-offs hold adequate tension too. However, too much of the second act is given over to characters mulling over a colleague's death and not enough on story and building the characters. Seagal plays an enigmatic character but he has little screen time and few fight scenes. On the upside, Edoardo Costa is good as the syndicated crime boss.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Team of Steven Seagal !
saptesh7867 November 2019
It's Steven Seagal' type movie, where he (Jake) creates a new unit (General Commander) with suspended fellows along with himself because one of them was shot dead by nasty gang leader of organ trafficking. Now Jake wants revenge from their main boss Orsini ( Edoardo Costa ) and how he will take this, is the story of this movie. Even though some thriller sequences movie looks like an average action movie. Story is predictable and not any suspense. I confused with last sequence of missile launching by CIA at Seagal home. Why CIA took this step and is Axe dead in that blast? Not clearly mentioned in climax. Segal is looking like in his previous movies. Other casting is perfect. Jai Day is looking macho man whereas Soraya Torrens looking beautiful. Watchable at once.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
another garbage from steven seagal
FilmMan4728 May 2019
This is another worst film in resume of steven seagal added,he should retire from making movies and music his days are gone,he is embarassing himself,look at the title of this film,general commander are you kidding me this is some joke right.steven seagal has become a joke..since 2002 .sad to see this guy in this position he once used to be a great action hero and biggest box office stars in the 90s,there is nothing to see here no action and bad dialog and cia crap,the way seagal is aggressively supporting and promoting cia these days he should remember his début film above the law 1988 it was highly anti cia,anyway this one is simply garbage,waste of time and money .steven segal films should be taken off the shelves from all dvd and blu ray stores and internet its vomiting to see his films now.disgusting,and the guy who gave this movie 6 stars and a review below has clearly lost his brain,my rating for this is 1/10..skip it..save time and money.avoid steven seagal its 2019 when is this guy going to learn.
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painful agony
brett-762602 December 2020
Sensei Seagal once again plays the same character as we've seen the past 35 years. Same character, same voice, same Ole constipated look we all have come to know and expect from him. I dont understand why he even makes movies anymore cause they are just absolute Turds. This was so bad I lasted 50 minutes and choke slammed the movie... Please Sensei no more of these movies. Its just embarrassing at this point and it just needs to stop. Do a sit com or maybe some local TV commercials to pay the bills but the days of great action movies are long gone. I bet a local furniture store would hire you as their spokesman so give that a try instead of making another one of these movies... Ug sorry Sensei but just have to keep it real.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's very average film and poorly written, poorly action scenes
nikola179 December 2019
I am die hard fan of seagal i met him early of this year in February he is a nice person as well, but i loved his films his early films he did in late 80's and 90's were great movies he did with warner bros, but after that his early direct to DVD films were great and good some are average but in my worst seagal films i seen is Executive Decision, Clementine, Code of Honor, China salesman i would say this is my worst films in seagal list i loved and liked all of his movies i have all of them in my collection lot's of them but with this film no i thought this was bad i thought writing and direction of film is boring, the action was at start then the action stopped it's like saying to yourself where's action ??? There was some action there and their but not a lot. the recent seagal films i liked was Sniper: Special Ops, cartels, End of a Gun, contract to kill, The Perfect Weapon, Attrition were good direct to DVD films but there were his last i liked. but with this ?? you do have some seagal fight scenes some of it little bits and pieces of it but not a lot.

story follows Jake Alexander (Steven Seagal) and his team of young recruits i thought they were alright but not best characters i seen. Sonia Dekker (Sonia Couling) known for The Mark, a strange paradise, Paradise Beach, Hayes' Henchman (Ron Smoorenburg) who is a martial artiest who is known for Triple Threat, Who am i, who worked with many martial arts like Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan and many others. Anna Rosen (Soraya Torrens) known for Mister Mayfair, Maria Lopez (Mica Javier) known for love me tomorrow, Tom Benton (Byron Gibson) known for Asian Connection another film he worked with seagal, only god forgives, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Ben Harrison (Jai Day) all team together to get catch bad guy this guy who is in his team is undercover he picks up a hooker who is not a hooker Alicia DiSanto (Alicia Faubel) this is her first film, she takes him hotel and it's not a sex scene she puts this liquid in this guy drink so he can pass out so he does, one of another bad guys used Alicia to get to him so specially this is a human trafficking film.

then things were out of control, Alicia gets captured by Anna, the team goes in hotel room tried to catch bad guy whoever he is he got the guy who is in their team taken as hostage Jake and his team trying to tell the guy drop the gun let the guy go but bad guy kills the guy in jake team and jake and his team shoots bad guy. i get so annoyed is this some CIA lady blonde hair old lady is interrogating jake team and saying your wasting my time, it's more like they are wasting my team while watching this film the lady is soo annoying .

so the team leaves CIA is because the annoying lady would split the team and would not be working with same guys anymore so this Sonia i don't blame her but she said i am walking out of this bullcrap and then everyone lives. the main villains were soo lame and forgettable Orsini (Edoardo Costa) known for the villain henchman in Die Hard 4, Non Stop, is main villain and henchman boring looking guy Santino Amato (Ruben Maria Soriquez) god the villains are most boring acting ever i mean they are soo forgettable. entire film stops all action jake goes his own ways like he wants own his own business in something with another hot chick Katarina Sokolov (Evgeniya Akhremenko) then some little Acton with seagal little martial arts and shoots guy in head that's it then somehow his team are sadly Depressed about the guy who got killed in mission it slowed down the movie, later that Jake who is an elite CIA operative who leads an elite task force to take down the world dangerous criminal Orsini. so now they are working together kinda C.I.A doesn't want to help them to get Criminals and Orsini so jake goes like f this i am going to re connect my team and work in our mission. a billionaire Katrina that Alexander knows steps in and finances him and his team as they set up shop in the private sector with one mission an that is to get mob boss Orsini who is responsible for it and film is a human trafficking you know what watch movies like Skin Trade that's awesome human Trafficking film that was well made, Taken many more.

the entire film turned into drama just action stopped with full stop sadly. but i love Seagal, and hot girls in film, i loved Cinematographer as well and this film, filmed in many locations as well nicely done but all film was nothing at all the final ending showdown was okay but not well made The film does present its problems but at the same time it still does entertain with some decent action sequences, witch they enjoyable but the action scenes yet again i know it's B Grade low budgeted films but very fake gun shooting doesn't shoot like real gun, fake explosions, fake blood as well that's one thing if you like or love low budgeted movies. The film does feature some entertaining action with Seagal breaking some bones but once again it is the supporting players that deserve

most of the credit for making something out of nothing. With the recent stream of epic fight films like Rambo Last Blood, Triple Threat, Avengement, John Wick: Chapter 3- Parabellum, and many more action in 2019 but General Commander simply pales in comparison. It's not an awful movie, it just isn't a great one either, it's mainly for seagal fans look i am die hard fan of seagal but this film i would not like to have it in my collection either sadly enough and ending sucked as well didn't explain anything witch it left a cliffhanger ending witch makes think eh ?? didn't like girl death scene where she toke posing pill as well witch it doesn't

make any sense because bad guy comes in and tells her if you want your mum alive take the pill but i was thinking of this not to be rude or anything like that but doesn't a older person dies and let young one lives ??? i mean Alicia mum is older so because in my many movies where older person dies and let young one live because young people have more time to live then to older person, so i am like this is stupid mixed up writing ever i reckon they should have not killed her off just because she knows Orsini all that i thought that was stupid bad writing of film. 3.10 i understand why and directors 2 directors god sake Phillip Martinez who made the one of best low budgeted van damme film called wake of death that is a much, much better then this film can't believe how in he

screwed up this movie i don't know why could he just hire same writers from wake of death and kick out the director Ross W. Clarkson who made nothing in his history recorded of his films sucked ass, let Phillip Martinez direct this movie rather then Ross. i can't believe that Phillip had made one great film wake of death highly recommended van damme movie of all time. I Loved position he once used to be a great action hero and biggest box office stars in the 90s but sadly he gone into direct to DVD films witch they are still good to see them as for fun and for seagal as well. Steven should remember his début film above the law and among others like out for justice all that. i seen better directed to DVD seagal films then to this i thought this was sadly poor written, sadly made, ending kill it, but end of day it's forgettable seagal film.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grotesque Characature
compugor7 November 2020
These Seagull furmula flicks have gone from unintentionally campy bad to insultingly satirical. Unwatchable without the fast forward button. The arch bad guy is played by the former Jeffrey Epstien, who wishes he killed himself instead of taking this role.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There was a time when the name Steven Seagal ment something ...
ZeroCoolRO9 December 2019
... too bad that these days he makes crap movie. Once he made amazingly good movies and he was a legend.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it... 6.5 is my score
doc11501 March 2020
Of course it's not great, but I can't complain... maybe a bit too short. I watched movies much worse than this. I always liked Steven Seagal, he's getting old, but still... Very bad acting by Italians, really awful, it wasn't a good choice... I'm Italian. Excluding the Italians, my score is 6.5... including them no more than 3 or even less. My opinion of course... nobody has to be affected by my review... watch the movie and decide yourself.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hometown
lifelinespublishing12 October 2019
I am glad that the Producers decided to shoot some of the scenes here in Manila and employ some Filipino actors, which I appreciate very much., as for the story, pretty typical Steven Seagal stuff., acting wise it's around 5/10 as it was so so...the ending was expected, Good triumphs over evil.,

a good watch for any Seagal fan, if you're not, you may not like this.,
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seagal seems like he just had a stroke
ryanwinning16 May 2020
Couple things I liked about this movie was the beautiful shots of the Asian cities that they were filming in. Hong Kong and Manilla both seemed breathtaking from the drone that they used. Also I liked the idea of an evil gang stealing organs right out of a healthy person which could easily be worth over $1million on the black market vs the standard drugs or guns exchanges. It was a great idea, but as expected executed very poorly. As horrendous as Steven Seagal's acting is in general I give him credit that there is only one Steven Seagal, and he usually has a way of putting his personal stamp on a movie no matter how bad it is, but this movie lacks even that signature seagal moment. When it comes to line delivery in "General Commander" it seemed like Seagal had recently had a stroke and was half in a coma because his usual low voice growl, was reduced to almost an incoherent grumble. They had to get as creative as they could with the action scenes to make up for a 300 pound man who can not raise his foot more than 8 inches off the ground. The supporting cast is one of the worst I've ever seen. I found Mica Javier's part to be the most annoying because she seems like just an average lady who they're trying to dress up and pass off as an intimidating Super-Spy Super-Model, tough as nails and all that, but she losses all credibility when her line reading doesn't sync up with her mean, poker-face act. There's a really weird point in the movie where they go way over the top with the sadness and sorrow and unfitting poor music choice for too long. It's a 2/10 for me.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was hoping for something much better.
jaccer1120 August 2020
Steven Segal was never a great actor, but his movies have always been fun and him beating up the bully bad guy. Literally half of this movie is the team mourning the death of one of their guys during a mission. The rest of the movie is crazy cut scenes and Steven Seagal making Default Steven Face. Was hoping for better considering the amount of effort they put in to this and all the different world location.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUMBLED MESS OF EXPLOSIONS, SHOOTINGS, KNIFINGS, CAR CHASES, BLOOD & GUTS
srobertson-751032 March 2020
I'm sure this film cost a lot to make with all of the special effects...the problem is there wasn't much of a movie to go with it. The movie was unnecessarily "in your face" blood and guts (i.e. a mafia leader enjoying a meal while watching a man get his throat slit with blood squirting everywhere). I was extremely confused most of the time - the movie jumped all around the world with plenty of conversations in different languages with no subtitles. I'm talking like 5 minutes with no subtitles! Most of it didn't make sense anyway. Even when the conversations were in English...some accents were so thick I couldn't make out what they were saying. I think I got the main idea, but this movie took too much effort to figure out. I didn't really get the ending and I'm sorry I wasted a night on this.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much fried Tufu and Krispy Kremes for the Fat Man
robbieadams196918 December 2019
Watch this movie just to witness how bad it is compared to his other movies... Yes... It's that bad. I suggest watching Trolls 2 for more enjoyment because the curtain has come down on Fat Man's career: The master of straight to DVD. He can't even raise his leg above 5 inches off the floor anymore....
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one star is to many
jglambgary5 October 2020
Segal is to fat and to old to be playing the lead of any action movie with that said who is writing this crap !? They are suppose to be elite agents part of and elite group but the plans they wrote for them are amateur and that is being polite. Everything they did was executed poorly planned out poorly. The whole movie was a joke and watching a scene were everyone is running except Segal who is walking because if he ran 10 feet he would be out of breath. The elite group can't seem to shoot anybody unless they are with in 5 feet of them. Lets recap you have a 68 year old fat man with badly died hair not even sure if the hair is real. You have him leading and elite crew that can not pull off a mission without get caught and to end it... They suddenly have a missile launcher on the highway that came out of no where. Yet the "bad" guy runs out of bullets so he and Segal who all of the sudden has a curved machete that no agent would ever carry in their pants and they have a fight scene on the middle of a bridge way beyond realistic and it is just so corny that you actually want the bad guy to win. Trust me do not watch unless you really have no other option even a repeat of some old movie you saw would be a way better choice than wasting your time on this drivel !
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another trash movie
ruimichael-5378422 October 2019
Worst movie of his entire career, since 2003., this guy has become a joke and transform himself into the cookie monster, he can t run, or fight, he should retire for good. The name title is a joke.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Probably part of a money laundering scheme
johnnklaer26 April 2021
The only reason this movie exists is to clean dirty money. It couldn't be more apparent.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch only if you're a Seagal groupie and even then only if you're drunk and senile; most folks are better of getting a Karate Chop
bronzeplayer17 September 2020
Good points: most of the women are good-looking; drone scenes of city capitals and other scenery are gorgeous; some blood and guts here for fans of that stuff

Bad points: disjointed dense story; too bad it had a kernel of potential; Bad acting and wooden dialogue; first half of movie was folks crying over fellow team guy's death (but zero emotion for all the other dead bloody bodies); second half was a lot of jumbled mostly incoherent scenes; Seagal should retire on a beach, and eat donuts and ice pop.

Bottom line: the Trailer was 100 times better than the movie; many folks would find poking yourself in the eye more enjoyable; seagal starting to look like a Fat Dracula with the personality of a screw driver; anybody who rates this higher than a 1 (wish there was a lower number) needs to get their head examined.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steven Seagal movie considered punishment.
t-boost27 May 2020
Steven Seagal movie considered punishment not art.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What just happened?
rdpeterman3 May 2020
Thought I would take a chance on this Segal movie since I was in the mood for an action flic. Good attempt at cinematography but some acting was poor and the story is very disjointed. Ending is very obscure. Wasted 85 minutes.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.