A Simple Favor (2018) Poster

A fine movie gets totally lost at the end
david-626-14806326 November 2018
I really liked the film, the plot as well as the actors/the casting. The story develops well, and has both fun and exciting moments during the first three quarters of the film's length. But the film totally loses it at the end, in an ending that is completely implausible and chaotic. Unfortunately the problem with many Hollywood movies: how to get a good ending.

So I will only partially recommend this title.
285 out of 344 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was decent... until it wasn't
fabi-sp9228 November 2018
The movie was quite enjoyable for the longest time. Well paced, well acted (mostly). Then the conclusion happened. Like seriously what where they thinking.

Not only was it bad (I guess that's just an opinion, but still), it was also a lot worse written, paced and acted than the rest of the movie, up to the point where the only explanation is that the producers or SOMEONE wanted the ending changed to... this. The movie would have been a lot better if it just ended half an hour earlier. The ending is one of the worst I have seen in years.
274 out of 344 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yesssss!
sjhblei14 October 2020
I loved this. More movies like this please! This was really something different
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At least it was something different
tonyandaprilfrazier12 September 2018
It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen and all the actors play roles they are typically type cast for. It was surprisingly funny though and honestly kind of enjoyable although super far fetched. At least it wasn't the same old recycled trash we've all been seeing lately.
310 out of 407 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming, funny and twisted!
saadgkhan15 September 2018
A Simple Favour - CATCH IT (B+) In recent times, its rare to watch two genres getting mushed into one and still work. A simple favour took the thriller genre and added comedy in a very subtle way. I believe the work works better because of perfect casting of Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. Both girls nailed the part and their chemistry is palpable.

Its a perfect movie for a fun night out. The girls are amazing and movie is a complete fun to watch. Go See It!!!
230 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful dark comedy with great lead actresses
jeffreyhickman17 September 2018
My wife an I were pleasantly surprised by this gem. The two lead actresses did a great job. The first half of the movie kept you engaged. The second half dragged a bit but overall it was a very good film!
200 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun twisted ride
Andreashairu18 September 2018
Don't think about it. Just grab your bff and go. Get lost in the twist and turns. Admire the clothes and characters. Enjoy the music and martinis. It's not like anything that's come this way before. Go go go!
205 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, dark with a few twists
jrussell-926-62052021 August 2020
I'm compelled to review since the current rating of 6.8 vastly under estimates the fun factor of this movie. I found this title after watching Last Christmas which also starred Henry Golding. I assumed it was another chick flick but my husband acquiesced good-naturedly and ended up loving it as much as I did. The dialogue is clever and sometimes LOL funny and, while we did predict a couple of twists, it still delivered some surprises. Anna Kendrick shines as the unlikely "best friend" of Blake Lively. Thoroughly enjoyable.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Quite Comedy, Not Quite Thriller
Eric-Bednarowicz16 September 2018
This was a film that couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It wasn't quite thrilling, and it wasn't quite funny.
238 out of 343 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch it!
carpenter_neil14 November 2020
Ignore the negative and ignore the positive. Just watch it and make your own mind up. Don't rely on someone else to do it for you. You might just surprise yourself 😉
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
an odd mixture of mystery and folly
ferguson-613 September 2018
Greetings again from the darkness. In the vein of Gillian Flynn/David Fincher's GONE GIRL and Paula Hawkins/Tate Taylor's THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN comes yet another vanishing woman mystery. This latest is based on Darcey Bell's novel (screenplay by Jessica Sharzer), only this time the biggest twist comes with the selection of Paul Feig as director. That's right, the director best known for BRIDESMAIDS and other comedies, tackles a 'whodunit and what did they do'.

Neurotic Mommy Vlogger Stephanie (Anna Kendrick) is a widowed mother to a young son, and she's the overly perky and perfect mom that causes other parents to sneer and snark behind her back. She's also so desperate for human connection that she's willing to befriend Emily (Blake Lively), the martini-guzzling fashion industry executive who is a hands-off mother to Stephanie's son's friend. We soon learn that martinis and playdates shouldn't be mixed.

Stephanie and Emily share dark, personal secrets. Emily discusses the financial woes she and her husband Sean (Henry Golding, CRAZY RICH ASIANS) are experiencing, even though they live in an ultra-modern mansion. He had success with his first novel, but has been hit with writer's block since marrying Emily. Those secrets pale in comparison to what Stephanie unloads, leading Emily to anoint her with a crass (though quite accurate) label that no one would relish. Of course we later uncover Emily's truly dark (and deadly) secrets go far beyond possible late payments on the mortgage.

As the two ladies bond, we get the feeling that Emily is playing some type of game with the always-cheerful Stephanie, though to what end we aren't sure. One day, Stephanie does Emily a "favor" and then Emily disappears without a trace or word. The days pass and a sexual energy develops between Stephanie and Sean, while Stephanie users her Vlog as a tool in her amateur sleuthing.

It's tough enough to pull off a mystery, but a mystery-comedy is nearly the unicorn of cinema. Director Feig is at his best in the comedic moments - especially those featuring banter between Ms. Kendrick and Ms. Lively. Their scenes together are the highlights of the film ... well, those and the French pop soundtrack, including "Ca S'est Arrange" over an opening credit sequence that is itself, worthy of admission. The film is oddly structured, yet still entertaining. Act I is really a dark comedy and budding friendship between polar opposite personality types, while the rest is a messy mystery with some interesting elements.

Strong support work comes courtesy of Andrew Rannells, Aparla Nancherla, Kelly McCormack, and Jean Smart, though two standouts are Rupert Friend ("Homeland") as Emily's boss and a character seemingly straight out of ZOOLANDER, and Linda Cardellini ("Bloodlines") as an unhinged artist tied to Emily's past. The downside is that most of these scenes add to the comedy-sketch feel, which clashes so harshly with the mystery element that the sharp edge needed in the script becomes quite dulled.

Most every director dreams of being Hitchcockian, and that dream tends to push them towards this genre. Unfortunately, most end up disappointed, their films end up disappointing, and the genius and difficulty of what Hitchcock achieved is reinforced. It's clear Director Feig is a fan of the genre, as he includes nods to DIABOLIQE, GASLIGHT, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, and even Nancy Drew. However, acknowledging classic noir isn't enough to qualify for the label. The film has its moments, Ms. Kendrick is once again stellar in her role, and most viewers will find it entertaining despite the messiness.
124 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't know much going in...
dawnsacks-015787 January 2020
I didn't know much going in...And that's a good thing. Wasn't sure if it was a suspenseful movie or was meant to be kind of cheesy. Anna Kendrick gets better and better all the time. The two actresses were perfect for their parts. Love, love, the ending.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had fun watching!
sasayacanrock3 December 2020
I really enjoyed watching this movie. I love it when women characters are so dynamic and involved in deadly mysteries to be solved. I did get bored towards the end though with some weird plot twists but i got my "katharsis" in the end. Game me a nice thrill!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ending was great, don't let reviews get you twisted
sexbomombassett13 January 2020
Well worth your time and gives constant misdirection. Coming from a person that can predict an entire movie's plot (including twists) in the first 17 minutes of screen this movie was a challenge to confidently pin down in its path.

The writing was brilliant and the actors brought that vivid narrative to a satisfying reality. Each character is well used with no loose ends left to their purpose like your favorite Dickinson novel. The comedy was delivered sharply with a savage one liner or witty quip accompanying almost every role.

The conclusion isn't spoon fed mediocrity like many in the reviews are wanting but rather a triple turn around summersault nose dive crescendo. It's well worth the setting up the of the rest of the film even though it's not the strongest part, but that's credit to the expectation the rest of the movie sets.

I may be hyping this movie up but it's a fantastic watch especially if you're into mysteries. If you Dig stuff like gone girl But with a light hearted tone you'll love this.
51 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was interesting, twisted and thrilling!
orrcalum20 April 2020
I liked the plot of the film, it was a good structure with plot twists throughout the film. The film follows two mothers of young children, they meet through there children's school. I am not going to spoil it but I will give you a rough idea of the film. Two women meet at the children's school, they are very different women, Stephanie being a bit of geek and very involved in her sons school and loves volunteering. However Emily is a much more relaxed and badass woman, she has a lot of money and lives in a big modern house in New York. Emily takes Stephanie back to her home and they quickly become friends, or at least thats what Stephanie thinks. throughout the film there are a lot of unexpected plot twists. It was a good thrilling film with lots of twists and turns, witch I like in a film. I recommend it for anyone looking for a good thrill and an excitement!
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought.
rt2prvcy29 August 2019
I've seen so many noir type films that there's nothing surprising to me. I had very low expectations for this film. So it was better than I thought it would be. Fun film.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Didn't know what was coming next!
laurasullivan-0036124 July 2019
Loved this film! So much happened and it was really gripping. Unlike any other film I've seen. I feel like I need to watch it again straight away!
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Watch
thekingsdom16 January 2019
I enjoyed this. It's fun and silly and has a few thrills and twists. Can't really say much more without giving away the story. Overall a fun watch. A tad long though!
50 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tonal mishmash. Imagine Gone Girl directed by Paul Feig, or better yet, don't.
DJKwa12 September 2018
First things first, A Simple Favour is not really a mystery film, well not a good one at least. As much as the marketing would have you believe, those looking for the next Gone Girl or The Girl on The Train will need to continue their search. The story here is far-fetched, overcooked and unravels in such a haste that it's hard to treat much of it seriously. Director Paul Feig (best known for his comedy works such as Bridesmaids and Spy), seemingly aware of the story's inherent ridiculousness, keeps the film light and easily digestible, but the result is a weird tonal hybrid of a comedy-mystery that fails at being either. Think Game Night, but more obnoxious than funny.

Based on the novel by Darcey Bell, A Simple Favour follows Stephanie (Anna Kendrick), a widowed, single mum who runs a mommy blog. Her goody two-shoes personality makes her pariah amongst the other parents. One day, on a playdate for their children, she befriends Emily (Blake Lively), a chic, elegant woman whose everything she is not. Before long they become best friends, and when Emily disappears, Stephanie steps out of her shell to solve the mystery.

Anna Kendrick stars in a role perfectly attuned to her goofy charms and Blake Lively convincingly embodies the enigmatic nature of her character in a crucial supporting role. Henry Golding, hot off Crazy Rich Asians, gets the rough end of the deal playing Emily's husband, a character who, while not entirely likeable, is cruelly used and manipulated by the two female protagonists throughout the film. It's disheartening to see that the film's message of female empowerment often comes as a result of emasculating its primary male character. In fact, the film's regressive approach to bolstering its two strong female leads does the film a great disservice.

The only consistency between all the characters is that none of them are particularly likeable. They each make questionable decisions, are gratingly self-centered and become increasingly obnoxious as the film progresses with its dubious twists. By the end, you'll be hard pressed to care about any of them. This is no more evident than in the film's tacked on "where are they now?' postscript that feels completely unnecessary and ill informed in assuming audiences care enough about the characters to know where they end up.

On the upside, Feig, who is more proficient in making fun films rather than serious ones, keeps the film feeling light and easy-going. He knowingly teases the audience with a stylish soundtrack filled with classy French music, and there are some funny scenes that incite light chuckles rather than any laugh out loud bursts of humour. These meager positives don't improve the stillborn narrative but at least they make it a little less painful to digest.

Ultimately, A Simple Favour is a strange blend of mystery and comedy that doesn't gel into a cohesive whole. As a piece of entertainment, it's entirely disposable. As a thriller, well, imagine Gone Girl as directed by Paul Feig. Or better yet, don't.
285 out of 453 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No clue what kind of movie this thought it was.
zombieskeagan16 September 2018
Way too much comedy for me to take seriously as a thriller and way too convuluted of a plot for me appreciate as a drama. There was a time at the end when it keeps trying to pack twist on top of twist that I thought maybe it was trying to be a spoof of the recent suburb noir thrillers in the vein of Gone Girl but the movie didn't feel aware enough to me to play this angle. It just felt like they had a thriller they realized was boring so they spiced it up with a bunch of funny dialogue or they had a comedy they tried to make more serious for whatever reason. Neither played well. Although the cast is solid for the most part. I will watch Anna Kendrick stare at a wall for two hours and still wouldnt feel like I wasted my time.
274 out of 438 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't miss this one !
floridamangosteen12 April 2020
What starts as a mild drama turns gradually into a dark thriller. Hitchcockian to be sure. Anna's comedic timing and Blake's nastiness are flawless.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty entertaining
Sidney10114 November 2020
I've had this in my recordings for a while no rush to watch but I was really pleasantly surprised how funny and dark this was, it really worked. Blake lively was terrific playing a strong character mysterious character and looked stunning. Wished I'd watched it sooner.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a beautiful stylish movie with outstanding performances!
coolkevinsmith12 September 2018
A Simple Favor is an amazing flim with a talented cast, Blake Lively was a stand-out for me and Anna Kendrick was perfect for the role as Stephanie. The clothing and style in the film are amazing. This film should be seen by people who liked thrillers and mysteries!
188 out of 317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just do yourself a favor and don't..
machine-7312222 September 2018
The movie had somewhat of a decent storyline that kept you in a little bit of suspense but the middle of it just got completely stupid and turned out to be completely corny.
154 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun mystery
JoeyS928 November 2020
Beautiful and charming cast. Fun storyline that throws you through a loop. Worth the watch.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.