The Conductor (2018) Poster

(2018)

Perfect image of a time
jclangenberg4 November 2018
Christanne de Bruijn impersonated Antonia Brico in a perfect way. This movie is powerfull and emotional and gives a complete image of this time (1926-1929) and position of women. A film about perseverance and romance.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inadequate
healycolin6 December 2019
This movie suffers from the shortcoming all such movies suffer from: no actor can 'act' a conductor. you can either conduct or you can't. If you want to make a biographical movie about a conductor, first find a conductor who can act. Failing that, a conductor who can't act is better than this offering. Her verbal interactions with the orchestra were also totally unrealistic - any conductor who spoke to an orchestra like that would get zero co-operation. Not her fault - lousy script. The acting was fine. There are many fine things in this movie - it's just that the musical stuff is embarrassing to anyone who knows anything about music.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More attention on women in History
rahngerhard7 March 2019
This is a very good movie to shine more light in women in history, from whom you have never heard before. Excellent acting even in smaller parts. Although the film is a bit long, you are eager to know how the story ends. I enjoyed the music,the picture quality and the acting.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very meaningful true story
vincent_lin5 March 2019
Aside from the current 6.9 rating, I hope it gets much higher rating, the story itself is already amazing, there is depth in this story, bring the viewer's view of how a women become an outstanding musician conductor and characteristic itself is very reasoned. yeah, maybe there might be some subtle scene there can be improved, but i couldn't find any, i just find that the actor, the story, the lightning and the dramatic moment is well composed and serves its purpose.After finished watching it, it strengthen my point of views, everything serve a purpose but, there must be a beneficial meaning behind it which lead us to eternal success, i think most of us tends to give up because reality make us live in fear, but it is because life is about suffering so why not try to enjoy it and live in a meaningful ways of live.😂
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So touching...
sarper-saridal15 March 2019
Loved the end. Especially when it says a magazine don't have a women conductor in the top 50 list. I did not get upset about it. The point was not about to be in the top of somewhere. There may be hundreds of conductors who may deserve to be in that list maybe some are better. The point is to be good at what you are doing and leaving behind good vibrations behind to follow your path to go forward. That is a better exceptional success level...
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Following passion through all
pvhemmen9 December 2018
Women and men should learn from this film. Following passion through all to get to your goals although everybody, women and men, condemn you. Made for an Oscar
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely adorable!!! Very romatic!
artmargo16 February 2019
I just loved this film. It was beautifully made. The main characters were perfect. Beautiful story. You will laugh and cry while watching this movie. Very touching. You can watch it with your partner and you will be entertained! Magnificant! Beautiful music. You get the spirit of those times.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Movie
webkutsawa4 March 2019
Brilliant movie great performances. This is my first movie rating and l thought movie deserves it
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All too predictive feel good drama
rookmaker28 November 2018
Good story, good shots, good sounds, good acting. However it is converted in a too slow, too sweet feel good movie with too predictive elements (cinderella relations, the repeated chair in the music hall, etc)
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The conquest of a dream - Inspirational, thought-provoking and entertaining story
stylianosm28 July 2019
Very intersting movie - partly true story - about one woman who set a professional life goal and conquered it despite all obstacles. Very good quality, plot and flow. Very good casting and acting. The unexpected plot twists by some main characters is an extra plus. Good depiction of an era. Inspirational, gives food for thought, reflection and discussion. Highly recommended for all, not just for girls/women.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect image of a time
mohit_sinsniwal26 May 2019
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great story but the acting, story line and dialogues are beyond bad
ana_jagacic20 April 2019
I was excited to see this movie, expecting it to be powerful and emotional but pointless scenes - her wandering bare into a green pond, even the love story that's probably implemented go display more drama and her dedication to go above and beyond for her dream - have ruined this movie. To be fair, not only the inconclusive story line, but also the bad acting of the main characters have set the ground for failure. I mean her conducting looks like she hasn't prepared enough for her role, it's bland and with no emotion that comes with this art form. The entire movie feels rushed, not putting enough emphasis on what is the center story. Watch this right after The Green Book and you'll see what i mean. Might not be the best to put this critic together, but I really don't understand where the 7.2 imdb rating is coming from. My friend who watched the movie with me was equally unimpressed.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!
balainstrumental28 July 2019
Great Movie! Very Emotional! Started watching the movie without any expectation. In the end , had a feeling of watching a wonderful movie!
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is inspirational
melis-selcuk13 September 2019
It tells the power and wisdom of passion. Entrepreneurs must watch!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A private female history of a rebellion and success
imursel26 March 2019
Acting: 7 Story: 7 Production values: 6 Suspence - thriller level: 2 Action: 0 Mystery - unknown: 5 Romance level: 6 Comedy elements: 4 Overall: 6
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
beautiful
Kirpianuscus2 March 2020
It is not fair or easy to say why it is a beautiful film. Sure, the rights of women, a self struggle, the noble dream, sad love story, real case are good pieces but not the most important. Something else give force and energy and beauty to this film. Maybe, the acting or the script or the cinematography or the aura of realised dream. It is not important. Significant remains the feeling seeing it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To attain this level of superficiality takes some kind of talent
reginadonk3 November 2019
So, what we have here is a little-known true story of a young woman of Dutch extraction who is brought up in New York in the early 20th century and who develops an ambition to one day conduct an orchestra. Her name ends up being Antonia Brico (Don't ask) - ever heard of her? No, neither have I. The reason for this, as the film attempts to convey, is that then, as now, the role of a conductor is seen as exclusively a male prerogative. Naturally, this is an ongoing issue, but did Brico's minor attempts at breaking this closed shop warrant a full-blown movie, or has the story been severely exaggerated. I could not help but suspecting that it has. Meanwhile, what of the film itself (?) Well, it does look good, probably too good a lot of the time, in the way that classy Christmas adverts look good. There is also much close focusing on the main characters faces, some of whom are pleasant to look at. However, the camera rarely focuses on the eyes, where, shock-horror, depth of character might lurk. (Lets not confuse our audience, now). There is a mix of fixed camera shots, crane shots, and even hand-held camera shots, and you notice them because, firstly, they are so telegraphed, and moreover because the film is so slow paced and un-engaging that one begins to look for any point of attachment to prevent oneself from gently drifting into unconsciousness. A film such as this has to be carried by the central performance, and Christanne de Bruin, while being able to elicit sentiment from us, (In a way a lovable puppy might) is so out of her depth (Through her lack of any dramatic essence) that I found myself wincing for her rather than at her. The script is truly appalling, and along with the screenplay, reduces every single other character to even less than a cardboard cut out version of a real person. To attain this level of superficiality takes some kind of talent, and they nail it here. If you want to see a masterclass in how to spoon-feed your audience to a point where they accept being pandered to like they are encountering life depicted on screen for the very first time, then check out this supreme dud of a movie. Does it contain any redeeming features? Well, the movie briefly comes to life when our heroine travels to Amsterdam to uncover her true roots. This involves at one point entering a cloister, and a slither of tension is invoked by the possible breaking of the strict rules of silence within the Trappist order. (Yes, that really is a dramatic high-point in this arid tale) A nun communicates by scribbling on a chalk board, but she does so in such a frantic manner that the scene becomes Pythonesque in its absurdity. I was the only person giggling at this amongst an audience who were still taking this risible nonsense movie seriously after a good hour. I guess they were too busy admiring the endless shots of shiny floored corridors, period vehicles, and sculptured haircuts, to notice how truly wretchedly woeful this film was.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible action and stupid story.
jimulder-372-80941319 October 2019
How can someone tolerate the leading character like her?
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another try to put lgbt and feminist agenda.
jackos-1702310 March 2020
Those things made this movie low rated in my opinion, even if the true story is very interesting. This is an example how to make really wrong movie by putting ideology into it, having really good base and facts.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a lovely film based on true events
pauliinapio9 December 2019
I was watching another movie and this one started automatically afterwards. I was impressed and touched by this amazing woman and the wonderful story.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.