Rampant (2018) Poster

(2018)

Generally solid
Leofwine_draca4 January 2021
RAMPANT is a companion piece to the Korean hit TRAIN TO BUSAN, taking the same concept and the same kind of zombies but throwing them into a historically medieval period, the classic Joseon era we see so much of in Korean cinema. I admit to being spoilt when it came to viewing this film; many of the ideas and plot components I'd already seen in the excellent TV series KINGDOM, which came after but which I watched first. KINGDOM is undoubtedly the superior production - particularly the first series - but RAMPANT has a lot going for it, too, with a plot matching the usual political skullduggery with some very ferocious zombie attack sequences. It's well made and engaging, a little slow at certain moments, a little over the top at other times, but generally solid viewing.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No train for these zombies
kosmasp24 March 2020
So yes the movie or the companies releasing the movie brag about this being from the makers of Train to Busan. And yes as one would expect there are zombies here too. Just in an old setting. Eastern meets the undead. And while this is not an entirely new concepts (chinese Ghost story comes to mind), the scope of everything is way bigger here.

And the use of CG effects too. I did catch myself thinking, WWSBD? SB standing for Shaw Brothers and their low budget effects, that were still quite something. If you don't mind some obvious CGI (not everything is smooth and can be spotted quite easily), and like action packed horror movies with a little bit of eastern flair .. well, you are on the money here. Characters could have been a little bit more enganging and the story is quite simple ... but again, this is about having fun (if you don't mind the gore of course)
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie delivers, if you bear with a slow first half
Wizard-830 May 2019
Let's face it - zombie movies nowadays are a dime a dozen. A lot of them look like they were only budgeted a dime! But this one obvious had a decent budget, which is a good start. But the most novel thing about this zombie movie is that it's not only Korean, but it's set in medieval times. That certainly gives this effort a novel air around it, and it helps to get though some of the problems to be found. The movie seems to assume its audience knows about Korean history and culture, but I can't really blame the movie for being murky in those areas. , since the movie was aimed at a Korean audience. The core storyline does have a few minor confusing plot points, but the biggest problem with the movie is that the first half moves really slowly, with endless dialogue and precious little zombie action. However, things do improve with the second half of the movie, where the zombie action suddenly bursts forth and runs... well... rampant until the very end. All of this rampant zombie action is pretty well done, and it makes it worth sticking through the movie's very slow first half. Obviously with the problems that I mentioned, this isn't among the very best efforts of the whole zombie genre, but zombie fans should find it all the same worth a look.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable but overlong and flawed South Korean zombie effort
After returning to his kingdom, a troubled prince finds that the political intrigue against his father is not the work of a rebel unit but a horde of flesh-eating zombies unleashed on the country and must rally a group of fellow warriors who trust in him to take out the creatures and regain the kingdom.

There was quite a lot to like with this one. Among it's finest qualities is the manner in which the zombie outbreak is featured here being loosened upon the populace, infecting the outer regions of their control and slowly working towards the capital. With a special rename into Demons which is appropriate enough for the time period of the film, the action on display takes on nearly a wuxia form of interplay. As this includes some fascinating jumping and wirework stunts with the infected shown to be quite athletic in addition to more traditional shambling hordes style zombies, there's plenty to like with the rampaging hordes loosened upon the city creating all sorts of havoc. The action here brought about by that setup works exceptionally well. The early assault on the village is a great start to matters, letting its feudal setting get put to use with the horde crawling over huts and various buildings to get at the victims while all manner of hand-to-hand and swordfighting occurs on the streets below. The massive ambush on the palace that alerts everyone to the true plight before them is a standout sequence letting the overwhelming number of creatures into the grounds swarming over everyone while numerous mini-battles are featured throughout the complex. Likewise, the finale inside the overtaken palace where all the reinforcements are brought to bear on the creatures and more dynamic close-quarter fighting creates a special high-energy finish to this one letting loose with plenty of gore and bloodshed alongside the zombie make-up. These are what really stand-out in the film. That said, there are some major flaws with this one. The biggest problem here is the typically overlong and plodding pacing that exemplifies so many of these productions. The continuous dealings of the court-system and political intrigue over the rebels that are claimed to be responsible for the turmoil are not in the slightest bit interesting and really slow this one down to a crawl at times. The major dealings in the courtrooms filled with concubines and observers detailing the various conspirators against the kingdom are boring and really seem ludicrous for how deep into the film they keep going with this storyline. This traitor aspect of the film is also part of what makes this so long for the most part. The film draws these segments out interminably long, consisting of way too many talk-heavy sequences in the kings' chambers that go by incredibly slowly before launching into rapid-fire action scenes with the zombies. This is a disparaging combination of tactics where it tries to reasonably mix a historical palace drama with a ravenous zombie movie due to the way these sections are filmed. Overall, these issues make the film too long for its own good.

Rated Unrated/R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as Kingdom
phd_travel28 March 2020
Train to Busan and Kingdom are better. So only watch this if you want to see Hyun Bin in a zombie movie. It's quite grandly produced but the story isn't that good and it's not as exciting. Perhaps it's because I watched Kingdom first and that is better. It's not fair to compare a series with a movie but this movie felt like it lacked cohesion.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Korean zombies, why not?
deloudelouvain13 April 2019
Koreans know how to make movies. They definitely have their own style, especially for Asian movies. Not much overacting like Asians tend to do. Chang-Gwol (Rampant) is worth a watch if you like zombie movies. It's not the best Korean zombie movie that I ever watched (that would be Busanhaeng (Train To Busan)) but for this genre it has it's place. The major problem to me is that it was a bit too long. I think with a shorter story it would be more effective. Nonetheless the zombies were pretty creepy, not perfect as their speed varied from super fast to slow when needed in the story. To me those are details but they have to be perfect. In Busanhaeng the zombies have a constant speedy chase what makes it look all more realistic and it adds to the thrills. Nevertheless Chang-Gwol is worth a watch.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zombie Korean period movie - I am in!
siderite30 June 2019
Zombies. They have been done to death, as has this joke, yet people still find original ways of bringing them to the screen. As monsters should, they just can't stay dead. Rampant is two hours long, which is a bit too long for a zombie movie, but not so long for a period piece. Combining them into a single film would have been pointless in less time. The zombie outbreak used as a biological weapon by an overambitious minister was not new, but in the context it was fresh enough. The fights were not martial, but they put in the effort. If you liked Train to Busan, you will like this one, although probably not as much. And the ending, typical Asian "the king rules!" stuff :) The production values were high, so I would rate it well above average.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a zombie movie with a story, you're in luck. If you are looking for martial prowess and horror gore, not so much. And that Hak-soo ... soo annoying!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A swashbuckling period film with demons (hybrid between vampires n zombies). Crispr?
Fella_shibby18 February 2019
I love Korean films n Train to Busan is my fav zombie film. Well, this is not as good as Train to Busan but nonetheless it is better than most zombie films produced left right n centre in Hollywood.

A prince returns home upon hearing that his elder brother has taken his own life. While the king is busy with his concubines n the minister of military plotting to overthrow the dynasty, our prince has to face assassins, rebels, cries of poor peasants n hordes of demons (hybrid between zombies n vampires). The demons r fast, terrifying n downright creepy. The cinematography is top notch n the action scenes involving the sword fights r awesome. There is tons of decapitations, slicing of arms, legs, etc. but the gore is restrained. The prison escape scene with the demons behind is pretty tensed n frightening.
43 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good zombie attacks and courage to have originality...
RosanaBotafogo24 July 2021
A mix of zombies and swordsman Kung Fu, a lovely oriental film, very well produced, impeccable quality, a pity it was a box office failure, people are not prepared for zombie attacks... Maybe lacked a more convincing story and more captivating characters, taking the speck of the protagonist, his faithful squire, the others cannot reach his charisma, however valid, good zombie attacks and courage to have originality...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting zombie movie meets epic historical fiction and twisted political intrigues
kluseba19 November 2018
Two years after the outstanding zombie movie Train to Busan, South Korea comes around with yet another extremely memorable zombie film entitled Rampant. Instead of copying the concept of yore, Rampant walks off the beaten path and mixes gripping horror movie elements with historical fiction and political intrigues. The story takes place during an era when the kingdom of Joseon was controlled by the Qing Dynasty. The heir apparent organizes a revolt against his own father who is manipulated by the minister of military. When his treason is uncovered, his allies and himself decide to commit suicide, leaving his pregnant wife behind. His last wish is that his pregnant wife is brought to safety in China and his estranged brother travels from China to Joseon to look after her. Upon arriving, the estranged brother realizes that a strange plague that originated from a foreign merchant ship is haunting the country and spreading like wildfire. He has the challenging tasks to survive the attacks of the immortals, save his dead brother's pregnant wife and defy the minister of military who wants to overthrow the dynasty and seize power. At the same time, he has to annihilate the hordes of zombies, be a leader for the suffering villagers and ultimately find his own identity.

There are numerous elements that make this excellent movie entertaining from start to finish despite a surprisingly long running time of one hundred twenty-nine minutes. The historical context is authentic, complex and fascinating. The settings look at times gloomy or majestic. The special effects are gripping and stunning. The sound effects are even more haunting and best enjoyed at your local movie theatre. The characters have depth and development. The acting performances are diversified and outstanding. The story has numerous twists and turns without ever losing itself in unnecessary subplots. The horror elements are bloody, dynamic and haunting which makes for an excellent mixture. The action scenes includes martial arts sequences, gun fights as well as epic confrontations with archers. The dramatic elements in the film are fleshed out and give this horror movie some unusual emotional and intellectual depth.

There is no doubt that Rampant is the best horror movie of the year and follows the contemporary trend of outstanding South Korean horror movies such as the creepy, mysterious and surreal The Wailing. If you don't have the chance to watch this movie in your local cinema that blindly supports vapid Hollywood productions, buy a physical copy of this masterpiece to support everyone involved in this epic project to make sure we can witness movies of similar quality in the future. Even if you don't like horror movies in general or might find zombie films superficial in particular, open your mind and enjoy this film to the fullest and forget endless, predictable and repetitive American series like The Walking Dead that can't compete with this masterpiece.
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Period Zombie Flick
Foutainoflife11 March 2019
I was impressed with this. I'm a horror buff but I'm not really into zombies. This was a neat story and sorta reminded me of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter." I thought that film would be complete cheese but it ended up being a film that I really enjoyed and I went into and came out of this film the same way.

Not a lot of blood and gore but the makeup and effects were good. The acting was also decent. The settings were just ok for me because when I watch a period film I want to see a lot of detail in the costuming and environment. I want to feel the realism of said period.

All-in-all, this is a good flick. It is one that I am glad I took a chance on and it will most likely be one that I suggest to friends.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rampant
MR_Heraclius13 February 2020
I love zombie movies and this is definitely one of my top favorites. It has all the scare and excitment you need without all the constant jump. Everything is quite predictable, which is absolutely refreshing to not have to overthink things. Action packed and comical at times, it is definitely worth the watch. For those of you who dislike subtitles, please give it a shot. The subtitles are short and to the point. It wont leave you missing out on any part of this zombie filled adventure.
25 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DIDN'T MEET MY RAMPANT EXPECTATIONS
MadamWarden8 May 2020
Sadly, the best zombie movie of all time, Train to Busan, and series, Kingdom, are both Korean, so I had high expectations. They were not met.

This is a poor man's version of Kingdom. Inconsistent zombies and half cocked plot.

Still, better than the dross that comes out of Hollywood.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
South Korean back at it again with another top notch zombie flick
phanthinga10 November 2018
Train To Busan is the biggest surprise from South Korea to the zombie genre and horror fan all over the world when it not only got the survive horror element on point but also very emotion and gut wrenching to the point that it makes me literally cry in the end so after 2 years South Korea finally make another zombie flick called Rampant in hack/slash style and let's just say because Train To Busan already set the bar too high so Rampant definitely look pale in comparison but please go and see it cause until the release of Train To Busan 2 the best decision right now is Rampant and nothing else
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We must hurry...
lojitsu7 June 2019
Here's The Lowedown on "Rampant" (NR - 2018 - Blu)

Lang: Korean Genre: Action/Monster My Score: 7.7

Cast=4 Acting=8 Plot=7 Ending=9 Story=8 Violent=10 Pace=9 F/X=8 Monster=7 Gore=7

Lee Chung is a Prince of Joseon, but he has been taken hostage to the Qing Dynasty. He returns after 10 years to face monsters that have overrun his home.

"They got a whiff of the blood...we must hurry." They took a period Martial Arts movie and added a zombie apocalypse? I couldn't pass it up...it's the best of two worlds. Plus you get a solid story and a good twist to boot. I think the zombie effects could have been a bit better, but it was definitely more than an afterthought in the film. If you are a Zombie fan or a Martial Arts fan it worth a watch. If you're both (like I am)...look out!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite an opening scene...
athies1 June 2019
They didn't show it but we k ow what he did.

Why did t they killer he rats on a ship?

I don't think much of this prince or his attaché.

The attaché is not a coward, just a whiner. There always has to be a whiner.

The elder queen(?) is I phased by the zombie surprise.

Does this foolish minister expect to control the demons?

Right out of Z Nation.

Isn't his face tired of holding that expression all the time?

Damn it is right.

There you go! Finally! The lady is smart.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kingdom Copy
Dragonborn647 August 2019
If you've seen the Korean tv show, Kingdom on Netflix, this almost feels like the pilot. There's many similarities including the zombies hating the sun. That being said, its entertaining enough, the lead actor is heroic and handsome and the zombies are really creepy. As well the Crown Prince returns to also find evil afoot with the humans in his kingdom as well - a corrupt government if you can imagine. Nothing outstanding but I didn't hate it.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
yankeedoo22 May 2020
Decent story action too and some comedy saw four times still live it
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kingdom-lite
peeedeee-9428126 May 2019
I watched this after watching the excellent Kingdom series. While the build up in that series was well-paced, this movie sadly doesn't execute the story very well. There are huge pacing problems, where the action scenes grind to a halt every few minutes for some typical Korean melodrama when a person who is about to die, is given a glorious send-off. Then you have this Prince who doesn't seem to really care about anything, but suddenly feels he needs to save the people. And then you have the War Minister who apparently is super human, because he's able to survive the disease and then with one hand, can fight off multiple opponents. The movie just became silly, and the zombie horde was almost like an afterthought. They could have replaced zombies with an incoming sharknado and it wouldn't change the way the movie unfolded. Overall a disappointment entry into the Korean zombie horror genre.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Korean Walking Dead.
chiumt28 March 2019
A Korean zombie movie. A city was overrun by zombies. Lots of flying heads, arms, spurting blood, with kungfu and sword-fighting throw-in. Plot is rudimentary. Prince come back to reclaim throne. City has loads of zombies roaming about. That is what fighting is about. Entertaining but forgettable movie.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loves it
nicci19724 June 2019
This movie has it all - action, comedy, horror and intensity. I loved it. I saw no major flaws great storyline and execution. It did what ANY movie is supposed to do - keep me interested until the end. Enjoy.
South Korean Zombie horde attacks Royal Palace looking for a bite to eat
silicontourist2 December 2018
I love South Korean films (and a lot of other Asian countries films) and I am a fanatical Film Buff in general; but I am not a critic. With that said, nobody needs to be a self imposed critic of this mass Zombie rampage film!

Set in the medeival times of a Josean Korean royal palace/city RAMPANT is a Sword & Horde zombie slasher. It reminded me of the 1974 film, 'Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires', that starred Peter Cushing, David Chiang and Julie Ege; except that dealt with vampires. The film concept is a good idea and what we get to see is a totally enjoyable film that, delivers everything you/me/we expect in Zombie slasher films. Of course its nowhere near as good as 'Train To Busan' (let us be truthful here...will any Korean Zombie film ever surpass that masterpiece?) but, its presenting the Zombie story from a totally different look. There are no oscar winning performances, just good solid acting with bits of humour and lots of frights & bites action. You know how it will end because...well...you just do! The fun is in the watching of everything in-between it all. Simply put this is ...Fantastic Film Fun for Fans of the genre!
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An example of decent concept but poor execution in Korean movies
pal0505200323 November 2018
Having watched Korean horror, I thought the concept of setting a zombie apocalypse in the era of swords would be cool and badass, however I was disappointed. Rampant combines zombie apocalypse with political intrigue but fails to deliver on anything. The story is predictable, and the leads are annoying. The good parts of the movie are the zombie attack scenes, and the fight scenes. However, there is barely enough of that to save the movie. Unlike Train to Busan, the scares, and emotion do not work. There is no emotional stakes at all. But if you want a brainless zombie fun, this may help a little. Just make sure you have lots of time to spare.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better if watched before new 'Kingdom', 2018 series
safsurfer5 March 2019
Better if watched before the new 'Kingdom' 2018 series, shows this movie could have been made better too, but the new series is so good that this movie paled in comparison. I don't know which one came first, but the series ended up the better of the two, by far. Still, it's worth the watch for any zombie enthusiast....and korean zombies even better. So if only have 2hrs to watch then this novie very good choice, but if you have 8hrs then go for the new series, 'kingdom', also korean language with subtitles plus season 2 just about ready I think...close maybe and S03+ not far fetched.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a good job in showing the story
juzer039 March 2019
Cast acting and the graphics was good. Could have done something on showing the story.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.