Midway (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,210 Reviews
THIS MOVIE IS crap
Nev-29 April 2020
Seriously bad, such a shame. Terrible acting boring totally unlikable characters. Almost makes you go for the Japs. Don't waste your time. Plenty of good WW2 movies out there and this isn't one of them.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A BAD REMAKE OF THE ORIGINAL MOVIE OR AS HAMMY AS THEY CAN GET!!
jackjack-230 March 2020
This film should win the Raspberry Award for the worst film of the year. It is a cheap remake of the 1976 movie of the same name but which had real actors in the cast which this film did not. The cast consisted of would bes that probably were extras in high school dramas. The original film had a cast of Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Glen Ford, Hal Holbrook, Robert Mitchum. James Coburn , Cliff Robertson, Robert Wagner, Eddie Albert just to name a few. The best this film could come up with was a hamWoody Harellson who never could act his way out of a wet paper bag and is horribly amatuerish in this film.

I have a special interest in the Battle of Midway. As a youngster, my father was stationed on Midway when the war broke out. He survived a shelling on December 7 which was nothing compared to the pasting Midway took during the Battle of Midway while he was there. It was a very tense time for my mother and her children at this time.

About all the makers of the film achieve is some degree of accuracy in the details of the equipment shown in the film. The film uses a lot of special effects that were not available in the original film but the original film depicts the events more accurately and it was much easier to understand. One of the problems with this film, is it tries to go to far back to tell the story by trying to make an intelligence officer seem more prescient than he actually was. The film also tends to exaggeration in trying to make its heroes bigger heroes than they were. That was unnecessary because they were great heroes without any exaggeration.

One inaccuracy was the depiction of the Japanese killing a captured American aircraft crewman by throwing him off a ship tied to an anchor. In fact, the Japanese would never have wasted a useful anchor and actually tied him to water filled fuel cans. Except for the execution, the scene like many in the film, is fiction because the only record of the execution was a brief entry in a ship's log. All three of the captured American airmen were similarly executed.

While the Battle of Midway was the beginning of the end of the war, one thing that is ignored in the film is as decisive as it was, it still could have been disastrous for the U.S. in that after the carrier warfare ceased, the Japanese had a very strong armada that could have easily taken Midway even though the Japanese no longer had any carriers. Even though the U.S. had two carriers left, neither had enough aircraft or crews to do anything to deter the Japanese had they chosen to continue their attack on Midway.

My recommendation is that people who want to watch a movie about the Battle of Midway should watch the 1976 version.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A video game movie
lascavior29 August 2021
Im an old fart now. But Ive played lots of WWII video games with my kids and grandkids. This whole movie felt like the introductions of all those video games Ive played. All the people are just caricatures, not real people. The lighting of the whole film feels more like a comic book than real life, just like the characters.

My point is, it doesnt feel like real life. Its just a video game intro that lasted for 2 hours.

If you want to watch something good about WWII, watch Band of Brothers.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst war film! Too many boring conversation, the action also not intense at all! Very disappointed!
kwenchow10 February 2020
This film start with a lieutenant "Edwin Layton" catching duck, having conversation with an admiral of Japan at 1937 Tokyo, and an article indicate four years later Japan invaded China scene! As turnout, this film is about the American and Japanese having war at Midway Island! Majority of the film full of boring conversation! Super letdown! The action scene have, aircraft shooting scene, aircraft throwing bomb and torpedo scene, submarine firing torpedo scene, and explosion scene! But all the action not intense and low satisfaction! Such as, the aircraft throwing torpedo at the sea, but the torpedo not explode at all! Barely intense scene is, Bruno shot down a Japan aircraft, when the Japanese attacking American battleship! Quite heroic! At the end, Dick Best throwing a bomb at the Japanese battleship to defeat the Japanese! At the very end, Dick Best reunion with his wife! Still have a super boring post credit scene! A woman singing at the background! That's it! Another disappointed war film!
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't even make it an hour
ufan-2223312 July 2020
The CGI was horrible. The story jumped back and forth. The movie was moving 100 mph and never stopped. One scene shows a pilot in the middle of a battle, and then he decides he wants to get out of a cloud. Next thing you know, he's landed. What happened to the rest of the battle?!?! The acting was incredibly stiff. Too many actors. Too many subplots.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Truly Awful
jimturpin-2602913 January 2020
I do love a good war film but the 1st five minutes of this is about all I could take, The CGI was so obvious that it was totally unreal and the over the top acting really killed it, switched it off and immediately deleted it.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not even a B movie at best
jlcpilot26 February 2020
Bad acting - sounded like they were reading from teleprompters most of the time; bad special effects - looked too much like animation or a cartoon; and the story kept jumping around too much. I think most of the good reviews of this movie came from people who must be very young and probably never watched the 1976 original movie, which was great, so they have nothing to compare this movie to.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Appallingly Bad
keikoyoshikawa9 November 2019
If you want to see good war movies, watch 1977 "A Bridge Too Far" and 1969 "Battle of Britain." By contrast, this movie is simply rubbish. Also poor choice of writer and director.

"A Bridge Too Far" had way better explanation of the overall situation through skillful use of exposition within the first half hour, and they did it with very good acting and dialogues that expertly differentiated all the major players. "Midway" by comparison is like having a kindergartner write the script and a manic preteen direct the movie.

The aerial combat scenes in "Battle of Britain" are probably the best ever done on screen. And they did not have any CGI. The big air battle towards the end of that movie had more tension and realism that put all the fake and unrealistic plane scenes in "Midway" to cartoonish shame. Heck, even the ensemble cast of pilots in BoB were more interesting and memorable.

Both "A Bridge Too Far" and "Battle of Britain" cost about the same as "Midway" in today's dollars. Both also had an ensemble cast of well-known and very good actors. Sadly, "Midway" seems to have wasted all of its money on really bad-looking CGIs and also failed to have the same quality of actors as in 1969 or 1977. Probably all the good actors read the script and immediately saw how dumb it was.

A quick note about how this 2019 version compares with the 1976 movie: Both are equally bad. A few examples: A complete disregard for the order of battle, which was of critical importance in the actual battle. The several air attacks from Midway Island were never shown. This is a deep disrespect for the men who died in these crucial assaults that made possible the final outcome. Also, the older version used historically inaccurate footage, while the newer version had inexcusable inaccurate CGI version of aircraft and ordnance.

If you enjoy history and in particular WW2 history, then skip this dumb movie.
108 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your money
colleenmitchell-1637210 November 2019
One of the worst movies I've seen in a long long time. The acting is atrocious. The CGI is laughable. I actually laughed out loud several times at the cliched dialog. We left after only 30 minutes because we just couldn't take anymore. My husband is a veteran and this movie was so poorly done it just made him mad.
56 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheesy
billmae_judd12 November 2019
I hated that this movie was so cheesy! They took a great battle victory and made it about special effects. The story was over shadowed by the director's need to make the movie all about the visual effects and cocky attitudes. Every American knows that our fighting men are brave and stead fast in their duties. We did not need to see this farce, and they should have just told the store. I had to go home and watch the 1976 Midway movie to get this one out of my head.
129 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard to find any good points.
francescolabollita2 April 2020
When I first saw the trailer I couldn't wait to go see this movie. But boy, I don't know how they could mess up so bad. Cheesy dialogue, bad acting and all the scenes were cut so unnaturally. The story line didn't make any sense either, it kept on jumping from one thing to another.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
cougargold-4893721 February 2020
This is one of the of the worst movies I have ever turned off. Calling it a movie is a disservices to real movies. It is a cartoon with awful CGI.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WORST CGI EVER
jesseholtphotg3 April 2020
Literally i got 10 minutes into the film, and could not take it seriously with the bad CGI , once again Roland Emmerich fails at another film, go back to your old school days where you actually put effort into your films.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrifically bad -- couldn't wait for it to end
john-9844414 March 2020
So bad, it was like they were trying to be bad. Over-acted, in every sense of the word.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DONT WASTE YOUR TIME
manninst16 March 2020
Terrible acting, terrible graphics, terrible storyline.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie sucked
evansma-9447819 April 2020
This was the worst attempt to make a war movie ever. I hope it gets removed from existence to save humans who are alive today from the embarrassment of being associated with such garbage. The hotdog pilot clearly has brain damage.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why one star
mijivya29 April 2020
This movie was dedicated to our enemy. I don't understand the reasoning.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Midway Is A Very Boring Movie
santurcedc5 July 2020
I decided to watch is movie on HBO tonight because of the hot eye candy in the movie. After watching for 5 minutes, I found this movie to be very boring.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Pure Trash
ahmedadnan-158229 June 2020
Dramatic !!! Nothing feels original. Same old american supremacy .
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No justice to history
kris_wallace19 June 2020
Looking fresh out of a galaxy far far way one pilot wins the war. Apart from x-wings and 1 bomb blowing up half of the pacific historically it's terrible the characters just as bad. The constant 1 man heroes is painful and stupid cliffhangers. He came to kick as and chew bubble gum and there's plenty of bubble gum. The older 1980's or tora tora is the way to go.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actors acting plastic. Cheesy graphics.
chris-laughren30 January 2020
Another huge disappointment. Who gets the money to chu n out garbage like this? Were soldiers that disciplined? I think not. The same boring Hollywood actors on propaganda payroll will bore you to tears. Cueing sad music before investing in the characters was a fatal plot flaw seen in so many propaganda films. Hollywood relies on old, predictable methods that just don't work anymore. The telling of Midway deserves the skills of serious actors. Woody Harrelson trying to play General is a pathetic effort at filling the right kind of actor in a big role. Fast forward.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
freewheel-2171218 July 2020
This movie is nearly unwatchable. The actors' portrayals are over the top and cliched. Any attempt at character development gets lost in all of the ham fisted acting. The dialogue is forced and predictable.

The battle scenes are cartoonish, at best. The "technical advisor" for this film was either ignored completely, or was a fourteen year old named Billy who's "really bitchin' at online video games." The film does a disservice to the memory of the men who fought, and sacrificed, in 1942.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BAD CGI
adebarnes9 August 2020
What? Did Roland Emmerich run out funds. Special affects were awful. This movie looks terrible. Dark and murky and muddy at best. Where was the crispness and sharpness that's found in movies like Day After Tomorrow or even Pearl Harbor. I suggest you watch the original Midway and let this alone.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood has become Chinese Communist's propaganda machine.
j88915 September 2020
Hollywood has become Chinese Communist's propaganda machine.

Anyone has read a little bit about the Pacific Theater in World War II knows that China was ruled by KMT (Kuomintang, the Nationalist Party) in WWII.

KMT ruled China from 1911 to 1949, formal name of China was called Republic of China (ROC), and it was a democratic state (if you want to be critical about it, it was in transition to become a fully democratic state; nonetheless KMT holds democratic values.) After WWII, KMT and CCP (Chinese Communist Party) were engaged in civil war, and in 1949, Chinese Communist Party won the civil war, and changed formal name to People's Republic of China (PROC).

ROC (KMT) moved to Taiwan.

In this version of Midway, film make took away everything in reference to KMT. During the famous Doolittle Raid, Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle and his crew had to ditch their plane and landed in China (Chinese eastern coastline to be exact). It was ROC army rescuing them.

The film studio wanted to pander to CCP government in Beijing. They took away any reference, insignia, emblem of KMT or ROC. A common insignia and emblem of KMT and ROC is Blue Sky with a White Sun. It should be visible on soldiers' uniforms or hats.

CCP was a tiny faction in China during WWII, and they only operated in north-western part of China nowhere close to the eastern coastline. In recent years CCP (Chinese Communist Party) had gone great length to "modify" history. CCP wants to present itself as the dominant force in fighting the Japanese in WWII; thus, you could see CCP leaders, films, TV programs to proclaim such notion.

The core of the American values are: liberty, justice and prosperity. China is a totalitarian regime. CCP has no democratic values, nor does it possess any American values. World War Two was about free world fighting fascism; China is a fascist state. It is ironic for Hollywood to Kowtow to Beijing and alter content to their masters' liking.

Let's not forget about Top Gun 2. The studio changed the entire plot, removed Taiwan flag (ROC flag), Japan flag. Top Gun 2 was about regional conflict between the US and China. Beijing found out about it, and forced the studio changed it to a conflict between the US and N. Korea.

Shameful.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am in shock
Hajo7713 November 2019
I can't believe how anyone would call this an excellent / worth to see WW2 movie. Not arguing the historical background of the battle but how Emmerich is turning the events into Independence Day in the Pacific is a disgrace.

The intentional deadstick Landing on the Carrier would have been the right moment to leave the cinema. It would have saved me 2 hours of my life I will never get back. I could go on for hours ranting about this terrible movie but I will stop wasting more time on this utter crap.

Kids, if you want to watch realistic war movies go and see tora tora tora or Battle of Britain.

Avoid this mess at all cost.
150 out of 250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.