Johnny English Strikes Again (2018) Poster

I did not want to go
alanavella-453-24123319 September 2018
I ended up at the movies because my wife, niece and daughter invited me. When they said Johnny English, I was far from excited. Turns out I ended up having a great time and a huge laugh. Would watch it again. Great mood therapy.
145 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious Movie.
daviddunn-9065310 October 2018
I enjoyed the first two Johnny English outings. Admittedly I wasnt expecting the latest adventure to be anywhere near as good due to Johnny being that bit older. But he still has that inimitable magic ! To appreciate these movies, it is suggested that your brain is turned off and reality is suspended for the duration. Its all incredibly silly, an unashamed spoof of Bond films. If you can do that, then you will love this movie. I have not laughed so much in years.
105 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atkinson is brilliant - one of the funniest things I have seen years
Take it for what it is. It's not meant to be a complexed and compellingly written story, it's meant to entertain and make people laugh and it did that every single minute. This movie does not disappoint at all, ignore any bad reviews and go and watch it. See for yourself how fantastic Rowan Atkinson is. The cinema were in stitches. My Dad (admittedly a massive Johnny English fan) complained that his face hurt from all the laughing that he did. That says it all.

Have a great night out in good company with this hillarious film. You will not be disappointed.
85 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and hilarious, if eventually exhausting and unmemorable
vikesh2206-921-86415415 September 2018
"Johnny English Strikes Again" is a perfectly enjoyable and hilarious, if eventually exhausting and unmemorable action-comedy. You get exactly what you expect here.

This time around, a cyber-attack reveals all British undercover agents, so the MI7 rely on retired agent, Johnny English, to discover who the villain is, and to stop him / her.

The plot is by-the-numbers, and the 'guess the villain' trope is mind-numbingly predictable. But let's be honest, we don't watch a Johnny English film to be bothered by plot.

Every scene contains some slapstick shenanigans. This is the film's strength as well as its Archilles heel. There are segments in the film such as a scene in a French restaurant, an extended sequence involving virtual reality, as well as the final act, which are laugh-out-loud funny. Those expecting raunchy humour will be dissapointed, as there is none. All the humour is slapstick, and thus, family-friendly. However, every scene has humour in it, and so there is no breathing space to take in the jokes that are being hurled at you. This is where the film suffers. There is only one scene in the entire film which has any resemblance of dramatic weight; this is thanks to the talent of Emma Thompson, who plays the Prime Minister.

Overall, you know what you're expecting with this film. It has non-stop slapstick humour, most of which land. A little bit more weight and space between humour would have improved film dramatically, and made the comedy more memorable.

The theatre I watched it in was full from row A to Z, and the audience were clapping, cheering, and laughing the entire time. The atmosphere enhanced my film-going experience. My recommendation is to watch it once in theatres; the film is light and enjoyable throughout its runtime, even if you'll forget it afterwards.

Just to clarify, I'm currently visiting Malaysia, where the film is in theatres as of 15 September 2018. That is why this review is up so early.
84 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like a coiled viper - Rowan Atkinson is brilliant as always.
mrfish500011 October 2018
Don't be fooled by tired reviews, this film is a comedy classic for the new age, and merits a rewatch like it's predecessors.

The film is full of entertainment, nostalgia and British throwaway humour, and if you liked the first - then you won't be disappointed.

Supporting actors are enjoyable in their roles and are more numerous than previous instalments. I enjoyed Boff's return, a real treat for the fans, and the technological aspects throughout the film maintained a spy theme nicely.

The only thing I would have liked to add would be a cameo from a previous villain, or one of the leading women, but the film lacks in nothing.

Johnny English Strikes Again.

* * * * *
61 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie for all.
gabrieltobing15 September 2018
After being in a premiere and seeing Rowan as Johnny is spectacular and I would definitely say that it is a great movie for both kids and adults with everything we love in it.

10/10, you've outdone yourself again Johnny by entertaining us all.
79 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels outdated and uninventive
BestBenedikt17 December 2018
This entire movie feels like it was made ten years ago - from the title to the poster to the bland script and its weirdly naive way of portraying the internet and the whole digital aspect of the story.

While Rowan Atkinson is undoubtedly the king of physical comedy, his performance here felt quite uninspired and out-of-date. This seems like the ultimate irony, since the story evolves around a clash of modernity and old school espionage. However, I don't think the main problem lies in Atkinson's performance but in the poorly developed script with its lazy writing.

Now, the JOHNNY ENGLISH franchise obviously isn't known for its high standards in film making and just wants to make people laugh. But that's the main issue here: It just isn't funny. The script lacks any sort of coherence and even comedic timing. Everything feels like we've all seen it before in a much better way.

I ended up being quite bored while watching this new and hopefully last entry of the franchise. It seems like a mere cash grab based on a script written in 2008 and dusted just to make a fast buck at the expense of quality entertainment.
68 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As if written by a ten year-old
whotheff30 September 2018
This movie made me laugh two times. And that comes from a Rowan Atkinson fan. Dull to non-existing humour, very very bad dialogues, very awkward moments, which should have translated in fun, but instead they turned out to be a stupidity and boredom. It looks like someone tried to implement the fun aspect of Mr Been (who almost never speaks) and force him to interact with other characters, unsuccessfully.

Olga did her best to be the fatal/sexy russian spy, but it was extremely hard for her, because of Mr Been's character, instead of Johnny English.

There are a lot of silent moments which bring no value, a lot of old tech references which can be fun, if used properly. This movie made British country and people look like a bunch of idiots, MI7 as vegan, politically correct, humanitarian organisation. Please avoid it at all costs. Millions of brain cells will die!
35 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sequel that did'nt require to be made.
mrobe4894211 November 2018
I count myself as a huge Rowan Atkinson fan, and like most but not all of his material. This film falls into the latter category. Atkinson and Miller give a good performance but the rest of the film did not work for me, and I was just waiting for it too end. The original is still the best .
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not really that great.
majaisakszon19 December 2018
Old tricks. Boring movie. Don't know why it has 6.6 points.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really funny
gxf-389316 October 2018
I actually loved this and had many laughs. Film was actually hilarious and the plot wasn't to bad also. If you want a good laugh go watch it
45 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How THE HELL IS THIS ONLY 6.6!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
hazzadhgw18 October 2018
How THE HELL IS THIS ONLY 6.6!!?!?!?!?!?!?! It's bloody hilarious. Best Johnny English film IMO.
63 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, look at all the hired trolls rating this movie 10
jrothell26 November 2018
Don't believe most reviews on this website. Hollywood has its own 50 cent army.

I watched JESA last night. Abysmal. And I loved the previous film. This one felt written in half a day, completely undeveloped, as though shot in 2 weeks and cranked out like a flavorless halfbaked sweet roll. Although you don't need to expect highbrow anything from a slapstick film, slapstick films ought to at least be funny. I laughed ONCE during this torture fest.

Here's an example of how badly this film was made. A room full of characters suffer a explosion. One minute their talking amongst themselves, the next they're dead, presumably. In the reveal, we see them leaning back in their chairs eyes closed. Their suits are still crisp and clean. Their hair, skin, etc just as before. It was like the director said, "There's no time, guys, so just close your eyes and play dead!"

This film was a sad waste of Rowan Atkinson's talent, not to mention the other stellar cast members that must have signed on as a favor.
24 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
English is back & he's at his best.
Anurag-Shetty29 September 2018
Johnny English Strikes Again continues with the adventures of MI7 spy, Johnny English(Rowan Atkinson). When a vicious cyber attack exposes all of MI7's agents, Johnny English will have to come out of retirement to save the day, yet again.

Johnny English Strikes Again is an absolutely hilarious movie. Director David Kerr takes what makes English so funny, ups the ante & surpasses both Johnny English(2003) & Johnny English Reborn(2011). The one-liners & slapstick humor work, every single time. The viewer is guffawing continuously, until their sides hurt. The locales, just like any other spy movie, are gorgeous. The action set pieces are funny & engaging at the same time. Be prepared for many Mr. Bean references. Rowan Atkinson is spectacular as Johnny English. The fact that this is the third film in the franchise, proves Atkinson's acting ability & sheer star power. Olga Kurylenko is brilliant as Ophelia. Ben Miller is great as Bough. Jake Lacy is perfect as Jason. Emma Thompson is outstanding as the Prime Minister. Adam Jones is good as Pegasus. The supporting cast is impressive. Johnny English Strikes Again is a must watch for fans of Johnny English, Rowan Atkinson & Mr. Bean. Go & chuckle until you find it hard to breathe!
41 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No script whatsoever!!
ms_ibarzabal3 October 2018
It seems they did the movie without a screenwriter. Rowan Atkinson gags were so funny in the 90s but they look so old in 2018. And Emma Thomson, how in the hell did you accept such a role in this movie? Dull movie. Kids like it though
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally idiotic, but a great laugh anyway
themadmovieman5 October 2018
I've always enjoyed the Johnny English movies, so I was absolutely delighted with the third entry in the series: Johnny English Strikes Again. With the brilliantly idotic hilarity of The Pink Panther, and the fun factor of all the old Bond movies, I was laughing and smiling right the way through here, and even though there's barely anything in terms of a story to follow, it proves a thoroughly entertaining watch from beginning to end.

I was really surprised by just how much I laughed in this movie, because while I've had good fun with the previous two films, I can't say that I've ever found one quite so funny as this, but that really is a positive for a film that's unashamedly silly and light-hearted throughout.

Taking all of the most generic tropes of spy movies, including all the clichés of old Bond and new Mission: Impossible movies, this film tells you that it's not trying to create any sort of dramatic or exciting story right from the outset, and while that may prove a negative for lesser movies, it really doesn't here.

There are so many jokes throughout the film, and although not every single one sticks the landing, the sheer quantity of gags coupled with the presence of a handful of properly funny ones makes the film a hugely entertaining watch, as Rowan Atkinson ups the funny factor another level with a delightfully silly performance.

Much like the old Pink Panther movies, Johnny English Strikes Again is pretty much a series of comedic setups strung loosely together by a very basic spy plot. If you're looking for deep espionage thrills, then this definitely isn't the film to watch, but there's so much humour to enjoy throughout that the quality of the story really isn't as important, as I found myself too busy laughing to really bother about anything else.

And what's more is that, like Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther movies, Rowan Atkinson's fantastically silly performance works perfectly once again, as we see him get into all sorts of ridiculous situations that, while entirely predictable and idiotic, are really brought to life by his onscreen brilliance, to the point that you never really get tired of watching him do the same thing over and over again.

I can tell that this film won't be for everyone, but I had a whole lot of fun with its unrelentingly silly and light-hearted atmosphere throughout. The first two acts in particular stand out with their rapid-fire jokes per minute ratio, and while the final act gets a little too interested in the story for its own good - taking away from the pure idiocy of the comedy - I was laughing a huge amount from beginning to end.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had a good laugh
wilma-8521617 September 2018
JE has never been about real spy movie, it's about having good laugh. Super funny movie and i love it!!!!
44 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
hashan_has6 October 2018
Great movie filled with fun 👍👍👍😘🤣😂 Enjoyed very well
33 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rubbish
paulspencer-9039421 December 2018
No way is this a 10 in any dimension, not even a 9, or an 8, forget 7, even 6 you would be having a laugh, which is more than what you get with this film. 5 might be where it should land, and that is being generous. If you want a movie to watch with the kids, find Naked Gun. I gave this a 1 because the people giving it a 10 were clearly trying to change the percentage for this film.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie for all!
colorstackkstefan18 October 2018
I don't understand why this has such a low rating on other sites, like Rotten Tomatoes. They're just biased.

It's a great movie, funny, witty, and interesting. It's got plenty of clever dialogue, yet the movie is quite short. I love this movie, and I think you would too.
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rowan Atkinson never fails to deliver
TheTopDawg7 January 2019
Yet another hit from Rowan Atkinson, who never fails to deliver! No stop laughs and entertainment all around. Writing and directing was on point, and all supporting cast also delivered. Directing and cinematography was great. 8/10 from me.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trust your instincts
moutombogr25 December 2018
My instinct told me: stay away from this,theres no way this is going to be funny.i was right,every cliche is used,and nothing works,waste of time!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb action comedy
albertkply20 September 2018
Watched it today (20/09/18) at Hamilton New Zealand. Enjoyed from the very first to the last scene. Hilarious...great entertainer... Highly recommended.....
30 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Barely made it 35 minutes in and here is why
didkus17 December 2018
I have to say the jokes in this movie are quite unique, unfortunately in a very bad way. I never expect much in movies like this in regards to story, plot, or the visual aspect. However, the humour and the acting have to be spot on in order for a comedy to work.

There is a simply rule when it comes to making comedy: build a certain expectation -> don't meet it. This movie does exactly the opposite as it builds an expectation, then meets it 100% and the joke is supposed to be that the characters are somewhat surprised by what happens. The result is zero laughs and nothing for the actors to work with (I have never seen Atkinson so bland before).

It is beyond me how there are people who find this funny as there was not a single joke that worked for me but I guess read reviews on both ends and see what works for you.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You know what it's all about.
jjofish6 October 2018
Just enjoy it. You know the plot , the jokes and it's so obvious it hurts, but it is a perfect relax film you can relate too. After all, it's sold as a spy spoof. More laughs out loud than 1967's Casino Royale. :D which if you haven't seen, is a spy spoof must. I digress, I really enjoyed this film and the acting of the cast was spot on. :)
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.