A Bluebird in My Heart (2018) Poster

A hidden gem
spas-grigorov25 December 2018
Well thought, well executed, well acted. Minimum cast, minimum budget - maximum solidity and persuasiveness. A humble masterpiece.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly outstanding French-made crime noir.
TheTopDawgCritic23 November 2019
Novice French producer and writer Jérémie Guez makes his full length feature film directorial debut in this stunning character study turned crime thriller noir.

This film is insanely watchable, mostly due to the overall soundness of its stunning cinematography and visual compositions, and the stellar performances notably from Roland Møller and Lola Le Lann. The great performances and old school tension are the key ingredients here, and they come together very intimately and surprisingly in this touching film about a man wrestling with his own fate, that morphs from a character study into crime film as the action grows more taut.

Although I'm not a fan of slow-burn films, this one is an exception. The 85 min runtime was perfect, and the constant tension and directors camera shots kept the suspense running non stop. Even the score was perfect and evident at the right moments.

For a non-Hollywood foreign-produced film, this is outstanding, and I hope it's nominated for multiple awards, deservingly so. It's a well deserved 9/10 from me, and I look forward to seeing more from Jérémie Guez.

To see more of my 1000+ ratings and 600+ reviews, click on my username.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, but
MoviesMustHaveLogic15 November 2019
The screenplay and the movie both got some flaws. It was adapted from Dannie Martin's first novel published in 1995. The movie was shot in a very dark and cold tone, the background locality may be in Montreal, Canada just like where the novel located. The movie itself is not a bad one, with limited cast but quite a good casting job.

The movie put the leading character got a dish washing job in a Chinese buffet restaurant. But the filthy kitchen and the dish-washing area were so disgusting and so messy, it looked more like a dump instead of a well maintained one. I just wondered if Canada or the City of Montreal got Health Dept. like what we got in America that regularly inspected all the restaurants and food industries. If by the basic requirements and the standard regulations, the kitchen and the dish washing room of that Chinese buffet restaurant might have to be shut down and may not pass to have a permit to be allow open for business and serving food, until the guy was hired to do the dish washing job.

The movie itself is watchable, but there were moments that almost made me to give up, because it's a slow going and in a very boring tempo. Neither the mother nor the daughter got likable personalities, the boss woman of the Chinese buffet restaurant was also a deadbeat cast. As to the mobsters, just a bunch of poorly organized local thugs. All the fights, gunfights, shootings and killings, we didn't see any police presence, maybe it's the low and limited budget not big enough to involve more manpower and cop's cars?

This is just an okay movie.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great lead character
Draysan-Jennings18 November 2019
The lead in this movie was great. Quiet mysterious dude straight out the pen. He didn't really do much talking but still managed to look like a total badass. Great character but the movie itself was pretty bland. It was a minimal dull story with nothing special. Movie needed more action and storyline. Felt they played it pretty safe. I want to give the movie 6 stars but it was just missing too much for more then 5. The shower scene was awkward.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.