Bergman Island (2021) Poster

Tim Roth
yusufpiskin30 October 2021
It's a movie that includes the great Bergman praises and critiques, as well as a terrific Bergman safari.

A great cinematic experience that increases the pleasure of watching with its screenplay that makes the movie out of Bergman's prisoner with two very beautiful stories.

This is the first movie of the director/screenwriter that I watched.

He also managed to arouse curiosity about himself.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Art it is
ks-6050031 October 2021
Storyline and cinematography is what I feel a piece of art of this movie. Uncertainty about the relationship and what they have along with another story that is created by the script writer personal encounter. Deep deep deep. Love the beautiful scene but it's not most important.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Allusions, Illusions and Delusions on Faro Island
gortx29 October 2021
Master Director Ingmar Bergman famously lived for the last decades of his life on the island of Fårö off Sweden and made it the setting for many of his films as well as varied relationships with wives and women. Writer-Director Mia Hansen-Love (EDEN, THINGS TO COME) sets her newest film on the isle and it becomes a character in and of itself.

A filmmaking couple, Chris (Vicky Krieps; so fascinating in PHANTOM THREAD) and Tony (Tim Roth), visit Fårö to work on their new screenplays as well as soak in the Bergman atmosphere, both being devoted to the famed Director. Tony is also being feted by the Swedish film community which grants the pair special access including a stay at one of Bergman's homes. This description may make it seem like this is a movie only for fans of the Swedish Director (he passed in 2007), but Hansen-Love has more on her mind (still, at least a cursory knowledge of Bergman's work is essential). This isn't to say that the film isn't littered with references and allusions to the filmmakers work and life - it is (the couple sleep in the same bedroom that was used for Bergman's SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE: "The film that made millions of people divorce" as is said here); But, Hansen-Love's focus is on the personal dynamics.

While Tony is obviously the senior partner in both age and success, the central character is clearly Chris. A movie within the movie brings to life the screenplay that she is working on. That inner tale concerns a young woman (Mia Wasikowska) who meets up with an old flame (Anders Danielsen Lie) at a wedding....on Fårö. While Wasikowska's character is named 'Amy', she is clearly a stand-in for Chris. It's a tricky and mostly clever device, even if it is awkwardly inserted into the storyline (and far too late). As a backstory within a backstory, Hansen-Love herself famously had a long affair with French Director Olivier Assayas -- who was also the senior partner in both age and success. And, to extend the "in" nature of the production even on step further, Greta Gerwig had been slated to play Chris originally (Gerwig, of course, also being involved in a filmaking couple romance with Noah Baumbach). As noted, it's awkward.

Cinefiles certainly are the target audience here. Bergman presence clearly haunts the island and there is talk of how he may have believed in ghosts. The film has an oddly structured screenplay that meanders a bit before making its design clear, but there are pleasures to be had for those that stick with it. The uninitiated may find it a pleasant tour of the scenic island (usually rendered bleakly in Bergman's films, and often in Black &White).
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Best Films Of The Year
HabibieHakim12324 October 2021
Bergman Island is already perfect with Chris and Tony story, inspired by the great Ingmar Bergman, Chris wrote her own story and when the story was tell visually, it just making it even more perfect, Vicky Krieps and Tim Roth chemistry is unexpectedly fantastic and i did hope they show their relationship as deeper as Amy and Joseph played incredibly by Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie, overall, Bergman Island is beautiful, it's a great film, really really good, and it's simply one of the best films of the year.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
no sale
cdcrb22 October 2021
Two movies for the price of one isn't always a bargain. This is boring and silly stuff. Would you honestly bring a white dress to wear at a friend's wedding. Ever. If so, this is for you. Tim roth looks bored to death.
17 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable and Full of Hope
sweidman-2801619 November 2021
"Can I tell you about the story I'm writing?"

A couple retreat to the island that inspired Ingmar Bergman to write screenplays for their upcoming films when the lines between reality and fiction start to blur. Bergman Island is a light-hearted drama that's been going from festival to festival the past few month. People have praised it as a great feel good movie for cinephiles. If I'm being honest, I haven't actually seen a Bergman film. The closest I've gotten was this year's limited series Scenes From a Marriage based on his film. Being in film school, though, I am familiar with his works and what he has done for cinema. Bergman Island is there to pay homage to the name Bergman. Everything about it is centered around the filmmaker. The first 45-minutes actually goes through a tour and gives the audience a slice of who he was. This is good for those who don't know him. After a little bit, it does begin to feel more like a lesson than part of the movie. It is necessary to know all of this information but it can be a bit excessive. It almost feels like it's testing our knowledge and talking down to us. When we get into the actual story the movie is about, it becomes an enjoyable time. Vicky Krieps and Tim Roth play a troubled couple trying to find their voice for their upcoming screenplays. The two play their characters well. I found Krieps' character more appealing. We are supposed to side with her and follow almost the entire time so that is inevitable. Her passion for film and wanting a story centered around a woman like her is delightful to see.

Where the movie finds a unique voice in story is Krieps' idea of a story. The movie becomes a movie inside of a movie. This movie that we're watching stars Mia Wasikowska as a woman similar to Krieps' down to the look. This new story actually took my interest more than the overall one. It's very fun and a little more relatable. And Wasikowska steals the entire show! By adding this new aspect, it grounds the movie as a whole. Both stories start off string but lose steam as they go along. By the time we get to the new story, it felt like it was going nowhere. As great of an idea as this is and it works well, the placement is awkward. Not till about an hour in so we see this. It diverts our attention, and for good reason, but feels out of place to begin with. By the end of the new story, I started to feel some fatigue. The very end of the movie leaves us on a hopeful thought. It's a movie full of hope and there to inspire others to let their creativity flow. Mia Hansen-Løve showcases good filmmaking through direction and writing. I'm glad I saw it once it ended. I do think there were story aspects that could've been approved upon, but this is a downright enjoyable movie. Bergman Island is available to rent on VOD and it's one that I'd like to revisit again someday.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
atractiveeyes27 October 2021
It's nice and so well made. Cinematography is amazing. Performances are solid. Screenplay is brilliant. It has two interesting storylines, specially for movie lovers, that blend together beautifully in a way that keeps you lost between reality and fiction. But it's simple, slow-paced and a bit long so it's not everyone's cup of tea.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Salute to the master
martinpersson978 October 2021
Ingmar Bergman may have passed away almost two decades, but his legacy is well-carried on and celebrated both in Sweden, as well as abroad.

This movie is one of the most pronounced homages to the man himself, actually taking place in his home and dealing with his movies - but besides that, it captures the cinematic magic that made Bergman so great, providing a fantastic script, full of questions about the human psyche and similar allegories.

The actors all do a great job, and the movie overall is very beautiful, both in terms of cinematography and its themes!
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many possibilities
slabihoud26 October 2021
Could have been a great film, but it cannot decide which way to go. It feels like standing beore a signpost with a dozen possible directions, but the author director could not really make up her mind which one to pursue.

Since the story revolves around Ingmar Bergman, who used to life and film on this island, we get a lot of references, movie clips, talks, sights, and quips about him, his films and his life. Praise and critique about Bergman is woven into the story of a couple of filmmakers, Chris and Tony, coming to Fårö, to write scripts and learn more on Bergman. Their different work styles, subjects and attitude have quite some Bergmanesque quality, though none of the straits are followed to the end. The Bergman worshipping and bashing does not offer any new insights and sounds like remnants from an abandoned documentary project. The film tends to remain on the lighter side until we get to hear and see Chris' script evolve as she tells it to her partner.

Here begins the strongest plot line, blending fiction with the reality. I only wish the director had focussed more on this development. It would have been an ultimately more compelling film.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mia Hansen-Løve's storytelling is a many splendored things
pasaribuharisfadli2 January 2022
What is Bergman Island? A tribute to the chamber drama maestro from Swedia? A meta-fiction? A study on plot structure? Or an analysis of the relationship? Whatever it is, Mia Hansen-Løve's effortlessly storytelling is always captivating and memorable.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is very deceiving.
developmentczar12 November 2021
I went into this with high expectations. Billed as a must-see for those who would appreciate Sweden's most esteemed artist. Thirty minutes in and trying to keep my eyelids in an actiive status, I broke out the Chalk not wanting to miss a beat. But by the one hour mark, I realized this film neither featured Dolph Lundgren nor did it ever even utter his name. I was confounded and vexed. Tim Roth and Vicky Krieps spent the entire duration on screen discussing mundane nonsense without paying homage to the most famous Swede in history. Shame on you!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snoozefest and feels like a Bergman promotion video
ukheather1 November 2021
This really is a snoozefest and feels like it's a promotion video for this place in Sweden.

Also animal cruelty involved. Two of them pick small jellyfish up and thrown them at each other in a jellyfish throwing battle. No need for this! This IS animal cruelty!
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reaching for the unattainable
LifeVsArt29 October 2021
The artistic process as it relates to ones real life is a theme that director Mia Hanson-Love turns into a multi-layered, heartfelt exploration into creativity and self knowledge. It has levels within levels, along with the stunningly effective structure of a film within a film (which effects ones perception of everything that precedes it). This is a film that as it lingers in the imagination new connections and meanings appear - it sets root in the viewer and grows from there. There's the primary story of two directors, parents of a child, Chris and Tony (a sensitive and subtle Vicki Krieps and Tim Roth) who go to Faro Island to bask in the magic and legend of the iconic Swedish director Ingmar Bergman - along with the serene beauty of the ocean and landscape. But this is also a launching pad to what follows which asks many questions regarding the artistic process and the true nature of the artist. There is a question of maintaining a state of innocence as one matures (artistically and personally). Does this purity need to be sacrificed on the altar of art or can it be nurtured and protected in art and in life? I won't say much about the film within the film other than it features a deeply moving, charismatic performance by Mia Wasikowska as Amy, along with her longed for love, Joseph, played beautifully by Anders Danielsen Lie. I found this part of the film riveting and extremely sensual as a further exploration of the inner life of its creator, Chris. Fantasy and reality melt into one on the same island where Bergman set his dreams to film. There's so much under the surface in this film that I won't even attempt to describe but its there for any viewer to sort out for themselves and follow their own insights and intuitions. This is an extremely creative and beautiful film which says something about the longing to reach the unattainable, whether it be Bergman or ones true nature.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
#TIFF21:
ghamstudios26 September 2021
This is a wonderful, meditative film about life, love, and art, specifically what we as viewers hope to get out of our "relationship" with films and certain filmmakers. I was completely starstruck by Vicky Krieps during the q&a, for someone who does a lot of somber/serious work she is a very funny and strikingly honest person. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and it is well worth checking out if it ever pops up at an art house theatre near you.
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missing Something
feresmejdi-8206315 January 2022
You need to be at a real ease to keep following. Nice atmosphere here and there, yet like Father of my children, it feels something missing.... it is not well held together... it feels it has been thought of in bits and pieces... making an effort to appear artsy.... it does has its moments , some clever dialogues and situation... yet something feels missing.. as astory.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Bergman
andreyrublev29 August 2021
Under the pretext of subtlety, the film avoids any conflict, any emotion, any depth. The characters roam the surface of life, without ever diving into it. A sort of bourgeois hell.

Moreover, the awkward realization absolutely does not pay homage to the supposed beauty of the landscapes. Of the whole movie, two or even three frames are correct. The rest is just platitude. Camera movements never make sense.

I end up thinking about the title. In fine, a tout. I have no doubt that one day soon, an uninspired director will name his dish of buttery shells "Kubrick Paradise" or "Godard Bedroom", in order, on a misunderstanding, to attract some victims in the theaters.
49 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For fans of Bergman and people who haven't got anything better to watch
rjmoucho29 October 2021
Beautiful movie in a history-filled location, though not much happens.

Interesting, well crafted and relatable main characters and refreshing storytelling. Lacks meaning and is not very emotionally engaging or exciting; still I do not think it ever gets boring since the story keeps moving albeit, as i said before, nothing hugely significant happens.

Captivating premise for cinephiles who want to know more about Bergman, the legendary Swedish director, and the island he used to live on.

6/10.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow, dramatic, painful to watch
franckpourchet23 October 2021
She gets the beautiful setting, a bunch of notable actors, a self centered subject (why not) but a subject after all and she just manages to ravage everything. This is so painful to watch that if you really want to go to the end you need to make so many pauses. It's typical work of someone who have nothing to say anymore. Sad when you're so young and talented (supposedly).
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A profound meditation on love, artistic creation, and originality
nitzanfamilia12 November 2021
I really enjoyed and loved this film, but I can also understand why others won't. I won't go over the synopsis because I assume most readers are already familiar with it/can easily do so. The pacing is very slow and the plot gets more convoluted as we go along, and there are many many references to Bergman, and so again, I can understand why this would be alienating and maybe even annoying to some, but these are some of the reasons why I liked this film so much. The tone and the way that every scene is directed and shot are also very different from other "serious" so-called arthouse films. The universal and perhaps timeless subject matter--love, relationships, artistic creation, loneliness (or solitude, depending), to name some--are indeed serious but are also treated in a casual, airy, even jovial manner (and not in the derogatory sense of these words), which was really refreshing and made me even reconsider my own preferences, cinematic or otherwise, and the way that I view Bergman in particular and artistic inspiration more generally. There's also a sort of dreamlike atmosphere that surrounds the film and the film within a film especially.

The first hour or so is a very careful and brilliantly written setup for the second hour in which doubles and doubling will appear - characters become narrators and also understudies for other characters, and virtually every sentence that they say can be interpreted metafictionally, as they are aware of being actors in a film (or in the film within a film, as well). It's indeed a film that interprets itself and its own mechanisms, especially its writing process, which is not new (Godard, for example), of course, but this is exactly where the director has shown originality and creativity. Hansen-Løve takes Bergman and his films (and his alter ego in the form of the beautiful, serene island of Fårö itself and also possibly her partner, another threatening male director that looms in the background or the foreground), and instead of merely referencing him for the sake of reference alone and sounding "smart", as a "formidable reference" as one character says, she plays with his myth, with his films. After all, the word "allusion" comes from the word "to play," and this is where the film really shines quite brilliantly. Ghosts become zombies in a horror film within the film, words become real, and the "power of fiction," as one character writes in their journal, dazzles. There's also an interesting discussion of human relationships, love, motherhood, what it means to love more than one person at the same time, especially when it comes from a woman. Women here as in Bergman's films are indeed the driving force both of the plot and of the actual film, dealing with the old issue of writer's block in a new perspective, truly. I think this is what originality really is now: you take an artwork or its creator which precedes you (and in film or any other medium, of course, you never operate solely on your own or in a vacuum, but are under an influence of tradition and an entire history that "haunts" you), and try to re-mold it, shape it into something new by using the same tools but in a different, singular way, using your own tone. Notice that the title of the film is "Bergman Island" and not "Bergman's Island". Bergman doesn't own the island nor can he monopolize it, as much as the industry born from his life there is very much alive. Every director, character, visitor, and film spectator shares the island and its impression via this film. I will say, though, that the ending did feel a bit rushed and maybe even underdeveloped, but it's still done masterfully, showing complete control of the medium of film.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good idea but to slow and empty
sandrajoanap6 November 2021
Without giving anything away i love the idea that there is a movie within a movie , but with not that much of a plot , the movie mainly focuses on emotions of the characters that are left unsaid , it is very slow paced and not much happens. The cinematography is beautiful and it showcases the picturesque nature pf sweden . It is nice but not revolutionary, pretty boring at times and it is definitely a feel good movie, but with lots of heartbreak and with the sad reality of estranged relationships . The movie is kind off a love letter to a famous Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman and his works. An honorable mention goes to initially a secondary role, but Mia Wasikowska stole the show and it was a delight watching her on screen.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring with beautiful cinematography and a savior called Mia
sandrajoanap6 November 2021
Without giving anything away i love the idea that there is a movie within a movie , but with not that much of a plot , the movie mainly focuses on emotions of the characters that are left unsaid , it is very slow paced and not much happens. The cinematography is beautiful and it showcases the picturesque nature of sweden . It is nice but not revolutionary,pretty boring at times... It is definitely a feel good movie but with lots of heartbreak and with the sad reality of estranged relationships . The movie is kind off a love letter to a famous Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman and his works. An honorable mention goes to initially a secondary role, but Mia Wasikowska stole the show and it was a delight watching her on screen.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Love Letter to Ingmar Bergman
L_Avventura12 August 2021
Starring Tim Roth, Vicky Krieps, Mia Wasikowska and Anders Danielsen Lie, "Bergman Island" tells the story of two filmmakers who retreat to the Swedish island of Fårö for the summer to write screenplays for their upcoming films.

Reality and fiction start to blur. The motion picture seamlessly weaves together two storylines which eventually blend together against the backdrop of the iconic island landscape.

Human relationships and art are at the center of this film. It is also a love letter to Ingmar Bergman and his oeuvre.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring nonsense
milenazlatarova3 January 2022
If it was not for the beauty of the scenery and the speciality of the place, I would not been able to watch the movie until the end. Vague, impersonal characters who don't know what they want. They exchange some feelings, some sensations without any inner logic, development or background. Very weak plot. There is almost no story at all. It's pathethic to put Bergman's name into this nonsense.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quiet but deep water
jumptosun19 December 2021
What is love: when you are defenseless or when you are confident in yourself? You can find the answer to this question in a beautiful and quiet place. On the island of Faro? Try... How amazing Vicky Krieps is against the background of a nondescript Tom Roth!

Pleasant viewing.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.