Nothing to Lose (2018) Poster

As real as Santa Claus
mateusmat10 April 2018
This is a movie trying to pass itself as a biopic, but is just a fairy tale. It's trying to rewrite history to try pass an image of Edir Macedo, the guy who financed the movie, as a humble honest man of god.

Besides all of this... the movie is placated with problem such as pacing, acting, directing, cinematography. In of itself it would be a bad movie... but since it's obviously just a propagandas piece just makes it worse.

And lastly... If you pay attention. The movie was brigaded by bots, (or just lots of people with spare time) to give it 10 starts. The same has happened with every user review site... including specially Brazilians ones, where professional reviewed average score is 1 point.something... while user review is always 4 point something... almost 5 (out of 5).
221 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think...
victorasoares10 April 2018
While I was watching the movie I only thought it was better to see Pele's film
201 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful Propaganda Piece - A Terrifying Demonstration Of What Money Can Buy
rodlm777-441-23421910 April 2018
It's sad to see the art of cinema used for propaganda purposes. Of course it's not the first time, and it won't be the last.

Objectively speaking, this is not a good movie. It lacks quality in all forms of the production: bad direction, barely acceptable acting and photography.

The script is also lacking, but that's almost forgivable when you realize this is propaganda movie.

So why this movie has such good ratings?

This is a propaganda movie, made by a well known church in Brazil. It's a huge, extremely wealthy group, and they have the ability to pull this off. Their intention is, I believe, to both please the ego of their leader, Edir Macedo, and serve as a recruiting tool, to gather more members.

They, most likely, have thousands of members coming here and writing fake reviews, with text clearly translated using Google Translator or similar services.

And I think they will keep coming.

I urge you look into this Church, and why it's so concerning to have this movie here, getting this kind of attention.
225 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A thief who uses religion as a weapon to steal from the poor now tries to look good by paying for a movie about himself
Nightdk10 April 2018
The film is not very well produced. it is in the level of the many brazillian Novelas that are mass produced to air every day for months. The story is clearly fake, with hints at supernatural events and the attempt to make the one who paid for it a good person; It hides the facts regarding the way he got rich, by taking people's homes, salary and goods by making promises of riches and blessings. An imoral movie about an imoral person trying to wash away the well documented facts about his rise to power.
194 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake biography of a religious extremist
eleudejr9 April 2018
Misdirected film, scenery with weak setting, tiring narrative, forced acting and false story. An attempt to create a martyr in the figure of a religious who manipulates people.
198 out of 238 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
brunojp-996679 April 2018
It's a boring movie. It's not a biographical movie, most scenes do not reflect the reality of Edir Macedo. A movie full of religious cliche. Watch in case of insomnia.
152 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very good
janeri-0635411 April 2018
Not very good movie, a lot of errors, I really lost my time seeing it.
148 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bad movie and fake success
fabiolimafsl19 April 2018
I watch this movie and i can say the people are manipulated for high rating, bad movie, actors and theme.
92 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exploitation of the poor
Bento_de_Espinosa30 April 2018
This is not an independent movie. It is about a Brazilian church owner, but financed by himself (with the money of church goers) to show him in a positive light, while in reality he got billionaire (he is the richest pastor in the world) by exploiting the faith of the poor.

Avoid.
73 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Portrays the growth of religion in Brazil from large investments
rogeriodutrasoares10 April 2018
Unfortunately the film portrays a very bad reality. Unfortunately it was made with money from church donations to spread the gospel in Brazil.
112 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time
cmartinsaraujo-0966819 April 2018
Watching this movie is the worst thing you can do to spend your time on. Full of fanaticism, zealotry and partiality. It only reflects how blind faith and dogmatism can be dangerous and manipulative. Other than that, this movie does not show a biography of someone whose life is blameless, it is more like a brainwashing attempt to cover up a very dubious past.
80 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage propaganda. God should sue.
iboso6416 May 2018
An absolutely craptacular "movie." I really need to look more closely at the IMDB reviews and not just the overall rating. Self-financed propaganda by a charlatan fleecing the religious minded in Brazil (and elsewhere, apparently). Badly written, directed, acted and whatever else you can be bad at in a movie. The lead looks like a cliche of a pedophile and has zero charisma, even when preaching. Do you want to see a good faith-based movie? Check out "I Can Only Imagine." That movie proves faith-based doesn't have to be synonymous with garbage. Avoid this AND the sequel teased in the Avengers-style stinger at the end of the movie.
48 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All you need is money... I mean... Talent.
antoniovictor_16 April 2018
This movie cost $16M BRL (about $4.7M USD). This may not sound like much money by Hollywood standards, but it's a lot of cash in the Brazilian film industry. City of God, one of the best Brazilian films of all time, cost $3.3M USD.

And the best they could do with all that money was to make a good movie on some points but horrible on everything else. Cinematography is quite good, not at the same level of Roger Deakins or Vittorio Storaro, but fair enough. Historical reenactment is very well done; sets, cars, clothes, the best aspect of the film by far. But the good points end here.

The plot is simply horrible, self-indulgent, confused, manichaean. The dialogs are on the same level as The Room, some useless anecdotes that have no need to be in the script could have been cut, certain facts that should have been worked out more carefully are narrated in a hurry. I'm not a fan of Mr. Macedo and his church, but I still think the screenwriter could have written a way better story about his life.

The cast have some good names: Petrônio Gontijo, Beth Goulart, Dalton Vigh and Arthur Kohl do the job well done, but the rest is a bunch of awful actors/actresses. They could had get a much better overall cast with the massive amount of money they had.

This prove one thing: money is not all you need to make a great movie. If you are not able to attract talent, all the money will be wasted.
75 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A martyr?
renanrdesouza23 December 2018
For the people who know the real story, it's pretty clear they try to pass Edir as some sort of hero, a martyr, That alone makes you want to stop watching the movie less than halfway through it. So do yourself a favor, and don't even start, unless you want to see this as pure fiction and not try to compare it to the real history.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Propaganda and pure trash
mageh1 December 2018
How man of god produces this propaganda movie and pays for it is beyond evil. I hope there is hell, karma since using faith for greed is awfully wrong. I am not even religious person. As for movie itself, just trash, not even mildly entertaining.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible movie
jlalves-3561618 February 2019
This guy is a billionaire, while his faithful often have no money to eat. He built a church that looks more like a mansion. Horrible movie, where the guy's type is masked. Do not watch and use your time to research the fame of Edir Macedo in Brazil.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is pure fiction
hmello-4906218 February 2019
Edir Macedo is not a hero like its shown in the film. He's nothing but a corrupt, charlatan and criminal.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad direction and biased storyline
cic-4136330 September 2018
Highly biased story as the main character is the owner of the main sponsor and production company. Not a biopic but an auto-biopic in the end. Also, bad direction that feels very old style and doesn't help much the viewer that doesn't already know the character.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed!
jfg-9813822 September 2018
After reading some of the bad reviews on this movie, I can see why some think it's trash and not true. Honestly, the movie is not bad for Brazilian standards which is why I gave a generous 4 stars. It was nteresting to see how Macedo's life story would play out in the big screen. The setting and cinematography is decent in quality but I found it comedic that most of the character's who I knew personally portrayed in the movie, looked nothing like them in real life except for the actor playing Macedo who shows a good resemblance. I knew Macedo and his family personally from the early years of his church back in 1978. I was disappointed that my family was not mentioned in the movie because we sponsored them to begin his church mission in the U.S. in the early 80's and came to live with us in NY for a period of time. The movie ends with him and Ester in NY with no context of how they got there. If there's a sequel coming, it will be interesting to see how the plot turns out but don't expect a miracle LOL!!! The guy from his humble beginnings and life challenges, definitely dreamed of gaining power and fortune all in the name of the Gospel!
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's gonna EXLODE!!!
ivonne_mijangos24 May 2018
SPOILER: Great movie! Family friendly! Definitely anticipating Nothing to Lose 2! SPOILER ALERT! Favorite scene was when Bishop Edir Macedo's second daughter was born with a facial deformity and he dropped to his knees to pray. He cried out, "ENOUGH!" In that moment, he decided that nothing and no one was going to stop him from doing the will of God. He said along the lines of, "...I give myself 100% to you, my God, and if I have to go through hell and back, then I will go alone, depending only in You...". One of my favorite character-defying moments, along with so many others. I recommend any and everyone to watch this film. It doesn't speak of religion or preach during the film but rather tells the compelling story of one man and his journey of overcoming and conquering.
17 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An uplifting movie about believing in your dreams
uckgsam24 May 2018
After watching the movie, I can easily say that I did find it uplifting. Setting aside the fact at it does deal with religion, what caught my attention was the courage this man had to go out and do what he wanted, to preach!!! It may sound like something so minute, so plain, yet I saw courage to face one's own fears and backlash of others. As I watched, I did not expect any exaggerated effects or extravagant details. Rather, real-life experiences that explain why the bishop and his church has been able to spread into so many parts of the world. With that said, what I came away with is that no matter what, I cannot let others define who I am or stop believing in my dreams, That is why I state that it is an inspiring film!!!
13 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Faithful to the book
djdihengo4 April 2018
The film is an adaptation of the trilogy Nothing to Lose, which tells the true side of the story of Bishop Edir Macedo, current leader of Universal, and is quite faithful to the books. The performances are good, the sets and costumes faithful to the time of history. The script is also well assembled, I can even recognize some techniques of narrative. As for truthfulness, whoever knows the real people of the story knows the truth conveyed in the film, but it is not up to me to prove, everyone believes whatever they want. Even for those who believe in the lies that other media tell, this is a good movie about overcoming, with a very positive message: do not give up on your dreams.
54 out of 497 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honestly Good Movie
joseburgos-6188417 April 2018
This movie IS NOT a propaganda or drama movie to try and make Edir Macedo look good but instead its a movie based on his personal life experiences from early age to adulthood. It shows the hardships he has gone through in his life and a fine adaptation to the books Nothing to Lose.

The actors show great interpretation of characters as well as good execution of emotions. Cinematography is good and the plot is consistent with the book. Again this isnt a movie based on the history of a country or a drama trying to show a man as a holy person. Instead its the life story of a man who faced many difficulties, and still does, but through his faith and perseverance has overcome them all.

Overall a good movie. Highly recommend to watch it with an open mind and ignore its bad comments.
20 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
History of the man who through his life has changed the millions of people in the world.
marciolima-562829 April 2018
History of a man who since childhood was rejected and discredited by all. Even before the warnings and persecutions he fought and won every fight that arose. He knew that God had great things for him, even if he did not see (faith). Finally, this Spirit passed to all and today nobody can say that Edir Macedo is a defeated. Great photo, facile plot, weight cast. I recommend
26 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with the criticism?
amntlvo13 July 2018
I read diverse reviews on here, but overall if you watch the movie with no prejudice, regardless if you like Edir Macedo or not, you will see it's a great movie. It shows the reality of man who wasn't believed in, was put down, bullied since he was a child (the reality of many) and as an adult the struggles increased, but he prevailed against all odds due to his faith in God.

The acting is good, the cinematography is excellent, they did a great job with the looks of the movie as a whole, the antique cars, clothing etc.

I didn't see any part of the movie promoting religion, it was quite the contrary, it's against religion and promotes only having a sincere faith towards God as your drive.

I recommend it. I left the movie theatre inspired and motivated to take the right decisions in my life.
6 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.