The Negotiation (2018) Poster

If you have to see Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin in a movie together, otherwise skip it
phd_travel18 March 2020
Even for CLOY fans who just have to see Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin together again on screen, I have to say this isn't a nice movie to watch. It does give the viewer a chance to see them in very different roles, she as a hostage negotiator andhe as a hostage taker who has a reason. They are both different and act well. It just spoils the memory of CLOY seeing them in this kind of role. The unlikely conspiracy theory story gets overblown and unbelievable.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good...
RosanaBotafogo13 March 2021
The film is not very my style, but it is always good to taste good films, intelligent, that deliver information gradually, the type of film that has to be attentive to the dialogues, and my dispersion does not help much, female characters of highlights, competent and beautiful , Koreans delivered a round film, good script, exact timing, I love the disheveled Kim Sang-Ho...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yoggwork18 February 2019
Well, it seems to see why Chinese movies can hardly even eat the tail gas of Korean movies now. At least people dare to put the moths on the dock at the end of the movie, and Chinese movies are always the positive energy for the big rats to be at ease.
2 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
6.5 Stars
Foutainoflife14 February 2019
A negotiator, tired of seeing bad outcomes, decides to make a career change but before she can get out, she's called into a special negotiation where her boss is the hostage. This case is more than it seems but will she be able to avoid another bad outcome.

While this wasn't an awful film, it kinda goes haywire after what seemed to be a solid start. I thought the actors all played their roles well but the way that the script is put together had me struggling to keep up with whom did what, where, when, why and how. I had no problems with the effects or the pace. It just felt like there was too much going on.

I did like the film. I thought it was a decent thriller that had a few flaws. There are times when I watch foreign films and I start to wonder if maybe it might have been better had I been able to understand the language or had better subtitles. This might be one of those films. Check it out though. Maybe you can catch something I missed and it might just be the thing that makes this "Just Ok," film into an "Awesome" film.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good thriller...
kamalbeeee27 April 2020
Negotiation to a killer with hostage...killer has a own story for revenge some higher authority people and accomplice eventually with the help of police negotiator..good screenplay and thriller...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Reasonable Negotiation !
saptesh78624 June 2019
This is Korean thriller. A man, Min Tae-gu (Hyun Bin) kidnapped some hostages along with police official and killed one of them for his demand and only wants to negotiate with Miss Ha Chae-yun ( Ye-jin Son), Deputy police inspector. What are his demands? Why does he only to negotiate with miss Ha ? And what is the end. To get those answers see this movie. It is high tension drama till end. When drama goes further you will be realised the dark truth of corrupt army heads and corrupt Politians too and their racket! Disclosing suspense will be horrified you. End is realistic and not so much dramatic as usual thriller did it always. The story is strong and not to let you lose your attention till last moment. Very good watchable thriller. Acting done by leading actress is very well. Others are okay. Just watch thriller lovers.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The actors are better than the script.
AJ_McAninch3 January 2020
Two of my favorite lead actors, and a stellar cast backing them. But even they couldn't save a mediocre plot and predictable outcome. I still enjoyed it, just not a great film.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pulsating thriller
ctowyi6 October 2018
Not since Cold Eyes (2013) have I seen a top tier Korean thriller.

This is one of those movies so dense with information that if you take a break to check your social media, you are going to miss something. In The Negotiation, information that is seemingly unimportant is going to feature like da bomb later. Pay attention!

The two leads are superbly cast. Their character motivations are superbly painted. When all the jigsaw pieces start to fit together... OMG! What elevates it even higher is that 90% of the time both of them are in two locked rooms separated by an ocean (or is it?). The tension is armrest-gripping marvellous. The twists and turns more than a rollercoaster ride. The pace never falters and the ending is satisfying. The motto here is the X-Files maxim "trust no one", not even the police and especially the government.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Find out the reason of kidnapping. Thrill
nayeemiqbal_16 April 2020
The planning, execution and trying to topple the big institution for the justice to be served. How will be the justice be served if they are corrupted. The vermins in our nation who due to their influence and money buys justice and what have they done to our country. Is there any hope? The actual motive of these kidnapping gets clearer with the movie. The side which govt shows, is that always true? The love for ones family. Will justice be served? Same plot like many hostage movies. Inspector gets too emotional, but she does her job really well in the situation and really comes out better version of herself with a promise to keep!
Wow this movie! YOU HAVE TO WATCH
juzer0325 March 2019
It will suck you in from the start. I loved every moment of movie. Everything felt relarvent. There aren't many good negotiation based movie. This one was epic.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but weak third act
Honestly with the acting power of the likes of Hyun Bin and Son Ye-Jin I would've liked to see the whole film just be their negotiation unfolding. But instead, the movie was bogged down with numerous political scenes that could've been cut out, especially since all the valuable intel on the corrupt officials/executives are coming from Min anyways. All the extra political scenes left the 3rd act rushed, with basically all the film's action residing in the last 10 minutes.

The screenplay was definitely the weakest element of the movie, but honestly with some scenes cut in the editing room, I think I would've bumped my rating up to a 9.

Acting, directing, production design, realism, etc. was all great though.

The way the film is though, it's a generous and forgettable 8/10.
Plain
mayaagustini2 July 2020
Movie about hot villain and pretty police. I am not sure in real life negotiator is similar like in this movie or not, but for me looks like normal police do introgation in via skype
Lovely star
mnutnichae8 March 2020
They had slow storyline and not many scenes. But I came here for watching boths actor and actress. So, It's good.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching for everything including the lead pair.
prafull-ambekar28 December 2018
This movie is one thrilling ride with twists and turns. Bonus is watching the lead pair. The antagonist has an imposing screen presence, with extremely good looks. The lead actress is amazing and easy on the eyes. Top notch movie. 10 out of 10.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SOme good scenes but improbable stroryline.
mrrcott21 September 2018
This could have been great if they had maintained the tension. But the problem is there were too many screens and monitors in the way of the action. Anf the movie goes off the rails in the final act.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good and genuine
xansreview17 August 2019
A good thriller movie. Plot twist, conflicts and suspense were there. Genuine acting and good plot but feels illogical at some point. Hope there will be a sequel for this movie🙏
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
bayanedaissi14 November 2020
Great thriller; acting on point, great cinematography, and storyline is well developed. Worth watching.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves better rating
sugrib10 August 2020
It's 7.5 actually.

Not a 6.6 movie. I started that with a little expectation considering the rating. But, you'll be hooked after watching first few minutes. And Don't miss a single minute, all these are full of info.

The only thing that frustrates me is the ending. They could have taken another 15 to 20 mintues to make everything clear. Still It's okay. But, that was preety quick and few questions are still to be answered.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its was good
pachiathao18 July 2019
I honestly watched through this film and it was good. The main actor did well on his part. I dont quite remember this movie well but I do know that the vibe between the two on set was honestly amazing. How both of them played their characters was pretty cool. I would recommend this movie, but it doesnt always put you on your feet and keep you wanting more.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie!
mirielley28 March 2020
Worth the watch! Impressive plot and acting! Definitely keeps you on your toes and what will happen next.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than a cheap made for TV home project.
Tenjiku28 January 2021
The Main leads Hyun and Son cant keep this this terrible script and badly directed movie with equally terrible Cinematography and Editing floating.

The movie made no sense. the leads motivation made no sense.

The movie is so bad that it feels in the second half the script writer forgot to write the end and the director clocked out 30 minutes early.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
hadadnew21 December 2018
Big like very good movie I don't see like this movie I like it
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
JUST WATCH DUDE
febriandaru9 July 2019
I still don't know why people give this movie low rating. Like, OMG what the hell just happen guys? Every movie have their goddamn own pace, if you cannot follow that, just go away. Watch your western Hollywood whatever is that. Ignore dumb critic just watch the movie.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Exact Situation Right Now On Earth
tareque274213 March 2019
Evil always win. This is one of the example of this. And congratulation to her, al least she saves some people.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it for the intense acting
Fjnel14 July 2020
The script is just okay, the story's not something new, but the acting (especially by the two leads) was superb. Their onscreen chemistry even transcends computer monitors.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.