Happiness Adjacent (2018) Poster

Has it's problems, but good modest effort
peterscarpinato29 March 2020
I have seen a couple of Rob Williams other films and enjoyed them. "Make the Yuletide Gay" was probably my favorite of his to date. I thought the premise of this film seemed interesting. A young gay man traveling on a cruise alone makes a connection with another male passenger who is traveling with his wife. As his wife is often seasick, the two get to spend much time together and begin to fall in love. I was pretty sure I knew where this was going, especially after meeting the wife who was portrayed as a one dimensional airhead. Then to my surprise, the story got more complex, the wife became more sympathetic, and I realized I was being dismissive of a film that truly had something to say. The lead character Hank (Adam Fried) is a likable character whom we root for and he and Kurt (Ian Dick) have a nice chemistry. There is some clunky dialogue and I could have done without the cringey Jewish humor, buy overall I enjoyed this film. I even stayed for the end credits and was shocked and impressed to find out the whole film was filmed with an IPhone 6s plus!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget with forced acting, but a sweet little story
qui_j26 May 2020
This was obviously filmed on a very low budget, and maybe edited on a home computer. However, it was watchable and the story was quite sweet and true to form. The whole "Jewish humor" seemed a bit out of place at times but guess it played some sort of role in defining the character. Since these relationships usually end the same way, it was not a surprising ending.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
swimford28 January 2021
One of the worst LGBTQ+ films I've seen. Not sure the performances could be any worse. The script is amateur and embarrassing. The lead actor is incredibly annoying and boring. About an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 'Love Boat' episode we never saw
Fleharty2 July 2020
First: the entire film was shot on an iPhone. The production equipment cost was $799.99. This is the future of film-making, and that makes titles like this possible. Second: I've wasted more time on worse movies from big studios. This wasn't a waste. The story was told tightly. The characters made as much sense as they could, and are people I'd probably want to know (although the couple would be at a few backyard barbecues, or for run-ins at the neighborhood farmers' markets). Hank, though.....a version of Woody Allen's everysinglecharacter with whom I could actually enjoy a conversation. I worked at sea for a cruise line for years, and yes, this script could've been lifted almost word for word from the very similar encounters I saw between gay guys and a male-female couples while plying the Briny Deep. I'd watch this again. Unrequited Love is never an out-of-date subject. Unfortunately.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ironically Charming for a Low Budget Film
I agree with some of the other reviews that I went into this one with super low expectations. In the end it actually did have a little substance. There were humorous parts and some sexy scenes that did help make the whole romance seem real and not forced. I definitely agree that the Jewish humor is a little much. I think the kind of charming part of this movie is it seems like they just booked a cruise and filmed rogue. It was a little awkward at first but I kind of appreciated that it did make it feel a bit more organic. It does definitely look like it was shot on a iPhone 6s, but it definitely works with the whole low-budget charm this has. The takeaway for me was that I always wasted so much time chasing unavailable and confused guys and I think the movie does a good job of reminding us gay boys to seek out guys who will 100% show up for us and the movie didn't preach it to me like many other gay movies do.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and sexy
dmoorejdrf19 February 2021
I really enjoyed this film, probably because I had absolutely no expectations. The chemistry between the two main actors, Adam Fried and Ian Duck was believable and you sensed areal attraction for each other. I am a little surprised that it isn't found on more recommended lists. My only disappointment was that the guys didn't head off into the sunset together!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Good For An Indy and Lower Budget Film
rahmmie7 January 2019
This movie was a totally unexpected and pleasant surprise. There is humor, there is drama, and there is so much more than meets the eye in this film.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hook up on the high seas...
CinemaSerf30 May 2020
"Eisenberg" is a thoughtful gay man, who left in the lurch at the last minute by his friend, embarks on a Mexican cruise by himself. Once aboard he alights upon "Dimmeldorf" who is travelling with his wife - who appears to spend most of her time in the bathroom suffering the effects of seasickness; even whilst the ship is still in harbour! After the two men start hanging out more, some sexual ambiguity starts to creep in and before long the MV Plentiful Bounty is offering "Eisenberg" plenty of unscheduled docking opportunities... When the wife finally does surface we become aware that this isn't the first time her husband has drifted from the channel, and we start to descend into a run of the mill triangle affair. Some effort has gone into the characterisations, and Adam Fried and Ian Dick do engender some sympathy as their relationship starts to get just a little more significant than a series of cabin-romps - but it has a slightly annoying narrative as Fried talks frequently to his no-show (invisible) friend and sentimentality rears it's ugly head once too often. It has obviously been done on a low budget; some of the editing/lighting is a bit rough around the edges, but it is better than your average nautical gay rom-com, and worth a watch.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Rob Williams movie
danielw-4988427 February 2020
Not the best of his movies. What the filmed the movie with a phone? Look like school project and no even them put a movie like this. Sad for Williams but not his best work.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dismal
arfdawg-124 December 2020
I have an iPhone!

Let's make a movie.

Doesnt matter if you can't act.

Story? What story?

If I make it the lemmings will watch it.
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a good Real Life Story kind of movie
Some people will be angry that this is so realistic that it probably happened For Real ,exactly as written Zero Embellishments .
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rewarding after a ROCKY start
notmicro6 January 2021
A VERY rocky start. The lead actor's role seems to have been written as a tiny gay Woody Allen clone, complete with endless, grating neurotic ramblings that normally only a paid shrink would listen to. As a viewer, you have to quickly get used to Hank's quirky delivery, the iPhone camera-work, and the endless wandering around the cruise ship. When he encounters (married closeted bi-sexual) hunky ginger Kurt, gears shift, and things start to heat up, including several surprisingly steamy sex-scenes. Then some pretty heavy drama ensues, involving compassion, heart, and emotions coming into play. In the end they've returned to port in L.A., a lot has happened in a week, and their lives are never going to be quite the same.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.