The Marksman (2021) Poster

(2021)

Less of an action film and more of a bland, road-trip style drama
darkreignn20 January 2021
My love for Liam Neeson knows no bounds - no matter how many mediocre movies he stars in, I will always watch the next one, in hopes that maybe my expectations will be subverted and I will be treated to a good film. Unfortunately, in the last few years, Mr. Neeson has starred in a string of mediocre movies. "Taken 3" is bad beyond description, mainly due to its atrocious editing style. "Cold Pursuit" attempted to go the dark comedy route, and in my opinion, missed its mark. "Honest Thief" was painfully banal, filled with stilted acting and a noticeable lack of action. And now we have "The Marksman," another entry in the mediocre Liam Neeson movie genre.

"The Marksman" is less of an action thriller and more of a drama, and that's not inherently bad. However, the movie boasts an astounding lack of suspense and tension throughout, plodding along from scene to scene until the inevitable final confrontation - which to the film's credit, is exciting. However, before you have the pleasure of watching that, you have to sit through a long, slow, road-trip style adventure, that lacks any type of thrill. Sure, you'll find one or two intermittent "action" scenes during the course of the movie, but these scenes barely contain any worthwhile action. There is a poorly filmed fistfight that lasts about 10 seconds, as well as a mild getaway type of scenario that our hero has to escape from, and that's about it.

Because of its lack of action, the main draw of "The Marksman" is its actors, namely Liam Neeson and Jacob Perez. Liam Neeson is good with what the script has him do, and I enjoyed his character. A previous member of the Marine Corp, Liam's character, Jim, struggles with alcohol, and is unapologetically atheist, which I found interesting for a character in a mainstream film. While I was originally opposed to watching a movie with a child actor in it, because of how bad child actors usually are, Jacob Perez was, to my surprise, pretty good. He could pull off emotion when he needed to, but mostly he was likeable, and it was enjoyable to watch him and Liam interact. There was some good comedy throughout, and some interesting conversations between the two characters, but that leads me into some more negatives.

Unfortunately, for a movie that is so dialogue heavy, a lot of the dialogue was very boring. There were so many opportunities for the characters to argue or engage in a verbal battle because of their own respective beliefs and morals, but the script took the easy way out it seems, instead employing a large use of exposition. Additionally, for a movie that takes place on the road, it doesn't look very good. The cinematography and directing is very basic, almost as if this was originally a made for television film that at the last minute the studios decided to release in theatres.

When the action starts, it is exciting, specifically the battle at the end. Liam pulls off some badass moves, and he puts his rifle to work. However, at this point the movie was too little, too late, and I was so disengaged that I was more looking forward for it to end. In case it wasn't clear - I still love Liam Neeson, and I'll never stop watching his movies. However, at the end of "The Marksman," I almost found myself asking if I should even bother anymore.
104 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe fun if you are also into nick cage films...
ThomDerd18 April 2021
I am having a hard time believing that Liam Neeson is the guy living in the US south, close to the border, carrying the American flag on his shoulder (5 min in the film) and still speaking with his infamous tone of voice and accent... I think if he hadn't been casted for this, then it would have been a completely uninteresting film. Yes it's a Liam Neeson movie...same like a Nick Cage movie...we watch it to see Liam doing something. But it's not Taken or anything like that. And it's not exactly action/thriller; 40% of the film is a subtle social commentary. I had fun watching it but come on, was that film necessary? Probably not. 5/10.
68 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liam Neeson is the new Nicholas Cage
wydeglyde001 February 2021
Hard as it is. -One of my fav actors is taking roles in tandem. The quality of his films now are like watching bread grow mold. It's more than obvious at this stage and also sad. -If you can't see it- good for you.
119 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent popcorn flick.
Opinate15 April 2021
There's nothing new or amazing in this film but it is an okay thriller that keeps moving along, aided by Neeson's character's like-ability.

So if you want something to keep your interest and pass an hour or so in lockdown, if you don't expect too much you might like it.
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Standard Liam Neeson movie
ivanmessimilos25 January 2021
This is only the second film by director Robert Lorenzo. Who's he? Exactly. He is best known as an assistant director and producer of mostly Clint Eastwood films and some great ones like Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby. His first solo film is Trouble with the Curve where the main role is played, surprisingly, by Clint Eastwood himself. I really liked that movie. The difference between this and this film is the script, this time he wrote it himself and it is not good at all. It is often predictable, one-way, and uneven. Overall though, I can't judge the film with Liam Neeson where he plays himself badly. He will turn 69 this year, and he is still making films like this. I call this a typical Liam Neeson movie, if you've watched one in the last ten years, you've watched it all. A gloomy man with a difficult and vulnerable past who does not look for troubles but they find him, and he possesses special skills that he is forced to use. The good thing about movies like this is that you know you're going to get what you expected, and all of those movies are good or very good, they won't disappoint you. Same thing with this movie. If you're going to look for holes in the script or criticize the characters, then this is not the movie for you. If you're looking for a movie that will entertain you or take a break from your commitments for a hundred minutes, and you're a fan of Mr. Neeson like me then I can definitely recommend this movie to you.
58 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
new title:this guy is no shooter
jthiac20 February 2021
Just after the movie, I thought it was okay. Later I realized that it was just that the popcorn was so darn good. The movie was truly bad. If you like Liam Neeson movies, you'll probably hate this one. If you are a shooter, a conservative, if you value entertainment over forced political perspective, you'll probably hate this movie. If you like action movies, nope, not for you. NOT a typical LN movie. Oh, and the good guy...
79 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ok Film
jonsid5722 January 2021
This film was just ok . It did drag on a bit and could have been shorter . Liam Neeson seems to play the same sort of character in all his action films . The film has its moments but is more drama than action . The main villain is very good in his role . Watchable film but nothing amazing .
45 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for the wired ones who need action every single minute, It's more real
Mitch105616 April 2021
Not for the wired ones who need action every single minute, It's more real. Go watch a comic book action hero type movie if you're Jones'n for that. Oh, one more thing, ask yourself, could you do what he did.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your money
matthewjc-8067225 January 2021
The Marksmen is clearly a mere political stab at Trumps border policies in a poor attempt to get the audience to feel sympathy for illegal immigrants. It lacks any real substance and the storyline goes absolutely nowhere. The characters all provide nothing to relate or feel emotion towards with almost every line being bland and/or cliche. Don't waste your money or time on this poor excuse of a movie.
109 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sooooooo Bad
thw2-157-60762224 January 2021
Liam has fallen down the Burt Reynolds rathole of awful movies. Nothing short of a complete rewrite could have saved this hokey script. Two wasted hours I'll never get back.
72 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur production...
Top_Dawg_Critic20 January 2021
...and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But what disappoints me here is that there were three amateur writers, with this film as their first ever writing credit (Chris Charles, Danny Kravitz and Robert Lorenz - who also directed), and I wish they'd consulted a seasoned writer - and making a point to tell that writer that Liam Neeson was the lead.

For their first writing credit, it wasn't that bad, but the 108 min runtime wasn't used effectively. It either needed to be trimmed down to about 80 mins - for the current story and pacing, or (and I would've preferred this) fill those minutes with more action and suspense. And that's not even considering Neeson was cast, and we all know we crave his action. So not getting that action, was a huge let down. Even the title of this film, only fills 5 minutes of the 108, and that's pretty sad - and a waste. There were a few plot and technical issues, as well as some content that should've been omitted i.e. bank issues, especially how that bonfire was fueled (without giving away any spoilers), which in my opinion was dumb.

This was also Lorenz's 2nd directing credit, and considering that, his work was impressive. The scenes were fluid, camera work on point, and it seemed the cast had great direction from him. The cinematography and score were also decent. It's a recommended watch - because of Neeson, but I wouldn't see it again, and probably forget about it down the road. It's a 7/10 from me.
44 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watching a movie on rewind.
icegenz20 January 2021
Something similar has already been met, nothing new. Respect for Liam Neeson, 6/10
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Liam
driver-6928225 January 2021
Just watched it. Don't waste your money. Lian believes nobody should have a gun, but he makes a living making moves where individuals use guns to defend themselves. Hypocrite. Bad acting, not worth watching
51 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They even steal the "he will find you... and he will kill you" line.
tccandler19 January 2021
With "The Marksman", Liam Neeson branches out and plays a bad-ass who takes on a gang of thugs in order to protect someone. You might as well call this film "Taken 8". The lack of originality is so cynical, that they even directly lift the famous "he will find you and he will kill you" line... practically verbatim... while on the phone!!! This is an instantly forgettable movie with generic stereotype characters and a cloned plot that should embarrass Neeson and everyone involved.
57 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Marksman (2021)
joshuarenealvarez22 February 2021
The Marksman is an action-thriller co-written and directed by Robert Lorenz. He is best known for his collaborations with Clint Eastwood as assistant director and producer in iconic films such as Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River and American Sniper. This is his second feature-length film to date. The plot follows a former marine-turned-rancher named Jim Hanson (Liam Neeson) who stumbles upon Rosa and Miguel, a mother and a son who are being hunted by cartel assassins along the Arizona-Mexican border. Thus he brings it on himself to stage an intervention. The narrative is reminiscent to Road to Perdition and Logan where the titular character forms an eventual bond with a youth in danger.

But I would recommend that you watch those films instead as you will receive far more satisfaction as opposed to The Marksman which is a pretty forgettable film, in my opinion. The storyline is straightforward, predictable, and as clichéd as it sounds. It contained recycled material that we've witnessed over the years and it's the reason why I would not advise anyone to consume their precious time with this film. Only if you are an avid follower of Liam Neeson's filmography and you personally enjoy seeing him in these action-fueled roles which is still astonishing to me given his age. The actor clearly has more fight in him before he decides to hang up the boxing gloves.

He was only the benefactor for this experience as the film lacks many redeeming qualities. Especially with the selling point for this film which is the relationship between Jim Hansen and Miguel. I didn't fully accept it as their characters weren't fleshed out enough, and that same issue contributed to my dissatisfaction with the supporting cast members as well as their uninspiring performances.

This isn't the worst of film of the new year.

But it isn't an exceptional one by any means.

Follow me on Instagram: @joshuarenealvarez @theflowerhuman.
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too simple to be enjoyed
Xavier_Stone20 January 2021
Chock full of cliches this movie is just plain bad. Liam is his usual self making tough guy comments as a senior citizen. You can't tell me that they couldn't find anyone else for the part. Maybe a Mexican girl for a change. It seems as all Liam movies are some variant of Taken, and this one is another copy cat.
45 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Severely dissapointing
mellonmationsyt18 March 2021
I should preface this review by saying I saw this movie in theaters, with my mom who said it would be a good movie and people were saying it was good. The way it was described was misleading, the trailer made some very questionable choices so walking into the theatre I went in completely impartial, I wasn't expecting good I wasn't expecting bad. The film is extremely mediocre and safe, you don't learn anything or come away with a different point of view, which is what the film intended. The frame rate was extremely high and while that sounds like a good thing it was genuinely nauseating. It felt like a rollercoaster with how everything moved and happened. While the cinematography was great the story wasn't. The Villans make unreasonable choices that drive the plot. While at the end there's a decent character arc for the main villain, the hero doesn't. Most characters don't really change and the morale and character traits feel very forced. The film seems somewhat political and while that's not necessarily a bad thing or a film killer it wants to change the opinion of boarder control activists. It boarder line shoves the message down your throat. If your a film buff you may have noticed the plot isn't original, it's leon: the professional. The plot is very similar except for the "on the run" aspect of the film, while I don't think it's bad for it to take a little inspiration it doesn't feel original at all. Genuinely it's not as good as I've heard people call it, it's an overbudgeted, safe, unoriginal movie. The characters lack personality and plot feels unnecessary. Good background noise.
31 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really?
jonasatmosfera13 April 2021
I'll save your precious time.

There is not much action here.

This is political propaganda. Let's open our border and welcome everyone. I mean everyone in the world. Seven billion! The more, the merrier. There is always room for another one Not even Liam Neeson saves this one.
26 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another dumb plot
jerseyjoea16 April 2021
As Hollywood gets dumber and dumber with the garbage they put out. I guess it's all part of the dumbing down of the USA and they are leading the way.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Road movie...nothing more
omendata23 April 2021
Well it seems Liam has gone down the Nic Cage/Ron Perlman/John Cusack road and just taking any old movie for a paycheque these days. Very sad for such a good actor and still well capable of pulling off a good one!

This is just another anti-trump, poor immigrant road movie.

Hardly much action and even the action is a bit tame and lame and Liam just seems to sleepwalk his way through this, perhaps he realised it was going to be a bit of a turkeyburger after the first 10 mins.

It has its positives with quite lush photography and is more like a travelogue across America than a movie and contains more relatively boring dialogue than the usual Neeson vehicle; some scenes however; particularly regarding his dead wife are quite sad as it must have been quite hard for Neeson to perform them as it was exactly what happened to his real life wife and you can almost feel this in his delivery of those lines. The young chap who plays the boy hardly says a word and his acting is dreadful.

It is still a fairly interesting watch and it still gets a fair average 5/10 from me on this one.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, But Expected More
gazzleech21 January 2021
Good storyline... Liam Neeson was good. I just expected more than the movie delivered... the SUV rollover scene was ordinary at best.... Good undertone of a message about choosing our own way in life.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceeded Expectations.
peterscarpinato19 January 2021
I loved this film. I expected a Liam Neeson action film and I got that, but there was much more here. This is a character driven movie as much as an action film. I kept wanting to get popcorn but was riveted the whole time and didn't want to miss a thing. I was also quite moved by Liam's characters back story and how it impacted his decision to help the young boy to safety. Their scenes together were quite touching. The ending also surprised me as it gave a few seconds of humanity to someone whom I would never suspect deserved it. Unfortunately we can all become victims of situations that are beyond our control. A great film is one that can make you feel a variety of human emotions, and this Marksman hit all the right marks.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
olotitan558 February 2021
I'm a Liam Neeson fan so any of his movies good or bad I'll watch... But this was great!
26 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome movie in need of better ending
papreppergal16 May 2021
Awesome movie, but it needs a better ending. This ending leaves much to be desired with far too many unanswered questions.

But don't let that deter you from enjoying the rest of this movie. It's just the ending that sucks. It has a lack of a conclusion so you're left wondering what sort of trouble he's going to be, what he's going to do financially, and even if he survived.

Liam's Neeson never has a bad movie to star in. It was filled with tough decisions and learning to put someone else first at no expense spared because you made a promise and you've got to stand by your word or your word means nothing.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed it!
coxpnw14 March 2021
We love Liam so had to see this one! Husband and I thought it was really good, definitely and ending that we weren't expecting. Liam never seems to disappoint either! Watch it pretty good one!
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.