Frankie Drake Mysteries (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

Thoroughly enjoyable...
timothy-price-794-5813281 February 2018
Stylish Private Detective series, carried very amiably by a charming cast, in a light, Castle type 'not too serious' way, set in the 1920's with fun music, and excellent attractive settings, and with excellent costumes too - overall very much enjoyed, I hope it extends to further (and longer) series, which given the longevity of it's 'set earlier' stablemate, Murdoch, it really should. And good to see the main protagonists all Female....
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally women in a great series...
Keeya201311 December 2017
I read Carless' review... I would disagree ... This is a great series, first of all if we were to watch period inspired TV shows with script based upon language and slang of the times... Well I am afraid most of our entertainment TV and movies would have to be re-written! I reference Victoria, Father Brown, George Gently, Downtown Abby... and many others... All shows depicting a specific period but written for today... Now for the show itself, if you actually pay attention in EVERY show there is a character or subject that is fact based... check google! Not unlike Murdoch Mysteries, you can find similar trends. We actually enjoy this series, the main characters are all women, so for some viewers, they will not or cannot appreciate any woman as the main character... This is another great Canadian production, great costume, great sets, and great stories. At the end of the day this is after all just entertainment, so maybe spend less time nit picking and more time just relaxing and enjoy the show for what it is, entertainment!
44 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American version of Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery!
boringplanet1016 September 2018
Reminds me a lot of Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery! It's a G version of it. I do love the show, I love the era it's set in. Still trying to figure out when new episodes come out, as there are no dates on each episodes. I hope the show continues on for at least 5 years or so. I think Miss Fisher's Murder Mystery only lasted for 2-3 seasons.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a good idea, but they could have done so much better
jazfro10 November 2017
I read the synopsis on IMDb, and I thought this could be a worthy Canadian answer to the very successful and enjoyable Australian series Miss Fischer's -same premise of a female private detective in the 1920s. Unfortunately, Frankie ain't no Phryne. The main character lacks the drive and personality one would expect from a female detective in an 1920s male dominated environment. Indeed, aside from very soft references to prohibition and slavery (in that order) the series appears to ignore the social references and culture of the times, and the aforementioned 1920s female detective appears to glide through unencumbered, except for the very soft and predictable love interest from the local news hack. Hardly believable, and only suitable for a kid's series. It's a shame, the period locations, sets and costumes were enjoyable, and the supporting cast was OK. But if the script and the main character are not up to scratch, then you can only produce a mediocre piece. CBC wasted their money on this one. Don't waste your time.
29 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Modern Woman with subtle power
interoctave24 December 2017
I am so delighted to find this series by accident. Frankie breaks every rule for women in the 1920s and most of society rules. e.g. black women partner and maybe lover. Never afraid of anything. I love every story.

The minute I found them I started recording. They are like great cosy mysterious and the most fun part if the really unusual women characters who are always the heroines.

Any one who likes period mysterious, women detectives who are not afraid, and not deal with the gore and violence--- with good writing and stories, will enjoy.
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
women as a main charatcer
joe-7729315 January 2018
I was reading the one review that says most people won't like Frankie Drake due to women as the main character. I feel that anyone is the part is good and written well can be a good lead character. I also like this show and wish I coule record it to watch later cause it comes on to late for me. I have to get to work at 330 to 4am in the morning. I am waitng for this series to be able to be streamed in the usa or through a streaming service i use. Take care and writers write well it will do well. Thanks Joe
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry, but do try again...
rocksoft-17 November 2017
I was looking forward to the premiere of this series, having recently started watching the similarly lightweight but still enjoyable Murdoch Mysteries, but I have to admit to switching channels before episode one was half-way through. Regrettably, despite a solid period set and convincing performances by members of the supporting cast (Chantel Riley, for one), I found "Frankie" herself (the main character), a little too hard to believe. She appeared to act and be coiffed, tinted and dressed as a modern woman who somehow finds herself in the 1920s, rather than an ahead-of-her-time 1920s sleuth. Matching the appearance and performance of Lauren Lee Smith's character more closely to the rest of the cast would certainly help this become a solid ensemble series.
34 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After 9 episodes, still simply uninteresting.
joecbelland30 January 2018
I expected Frankie Drake Mysteries to be at least somewhat similar in terms of writing and acting to Murdoch Mysteries (which I enjoy), but perhaps with plots that were somewhat more concentrated on just the murder mystery (Miss Fischer anyone?) without the somewhat stretched science stuff in Murdoch. Unfortunately, it doesn't come close.

The main character is the first problem that comes to mind. She not only doesn't exhibit any real passion for the part, but she is one of the most irritating characters I can remember watching in series TV. She can't go through even a short scene without multiple head twitching and body twitching, usually accompanied by some kind of smile that is supposed to - I guess - be somewhat endearing. It's all simply distracting, irritating and doesn't add anything to the viewing experience. The plots & writing are next - simple, not even close to believable, and lacking any real suspense or action.

And I finally figured out why the series lacks overall appeal, believability and some character tension. It's set in the 1920's. It's supposed to be showing women starting to assert themselves, which is a decent theme for the series. BUT.... In doing so they have basically populated the series with ONLY women. That's about as unrealistic a characterization of 1920's society that you can imagine. Murdoch does it right - men seem to be in charge but very strong women - wives, girlfriends, reporters, female private detectives, doctors, etc., are very prominent throughout and realistically portray the reality of the times as well as how strong women did, in fact, find ways to assert themselves, employ their talents, etc. Frankie Drake pretends men didn't exist in their little enterprise. No wonder there's no tension.

I kept watching hoping to see improvement. False optimism, it turns out.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great program!
ginakos-6425612 September 2018
Whenever I read reviews that compare a program to another series, or the book that it was based on, or historical accuracy, I feel that they aren't watching and enjoying the show, but trying to find fault with it. I loved Miss Fisher Mysteries but I didn't expect this to be identical. That said, I am enjoying watching the program and I find it very entertaining.
14 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, interesting and well acted
iancrockford-9630927 May 2018
Let's start from the beginning this is a fairly good attempt at a female led series. In time with a few changes this could be as good as Murdoch Mysteries are. Sitting in the same sort of tv. Between serious drama and comedy. The production is excellent, sets and custumes take the viewer back to the 1920's. Not a slick as Miss Fishers Mysteries but a good start.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
light and fun needs time to find its feet.
bd-allen18 December 2017
Miss Fishers' murder mysteries is a favourite of mine so I wanted to check this out too. A little disappointed. Costumes and set design are fine but the lead actress plays it with very little emotion and delivers her lines like she's not emotionally connected to the role. It is early days and that sometimes it takes a while for a an actor to know her character and I hope this happens.

It does have potential and the supporting cast are quite fun. Not being familiar totally with the era I'm not sure of the historical accuracy but I can put that aside if it gets a little more gritty while still having a bit of fun.

I do enjoy the banter between the characters so will keep watching.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Miss Fisher it aint
lornagracevibert1 February 2018
I tuned in with real hopes for this series, having been a great fan of Miss Fisher and Murdoch Mysteries, but two episodes in I'm wondering whether to continue recording and watching it. It's the heroine... Just irritating and not convincing as an actress, sorry. Maybe if there was someone with more charisma and oomph playing the main lead we might be in for a treat, but at the moment I'm hard pressed to carry on. Reading other reviews it doesn't seem that it does improve, but I'll persevere for a bit and live in hope. I understand that the interracial friendships, which presumably would've been incredibly difficult in the era are good for the show, and I can suspend disbelief for these as I do on Murdoch, which at least does show some discrimination and problems for women, but the main character really does lack any get up and go, and some of the other actors also seem a bit wooden.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flat characters, boring cases.
vacio-4332319 June 2018
After having watched the television series Fisher's Murder Mysteries, I wanted to see another series of similar themes, but I found a rather boring series, with characters without charisma, and some cases that did not interest me. Even the character, the policeman Mary Shaw, who is the same as in the series Houdini and Doyle, who represented a police, intelligent, determined and with great emotional depth, in Frankie Drake Mysteries, is a flat and ridiculous character. It's a shame, I'm still staying with Fisher's Murder Mysteries, it's a thousand times better.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a review - just a question
bobbyhattaway10 December 2019
Who sings the theme at the beginning? I can't find the name in the credits
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The lead actress is the problem
ramiestudio10 October 2018
Every successful mysteries has casted a lead, either female or male, who can carry the show, surprise the audience and is a character one wants to spend time with (once a week and more). Unfortunately, this does not happen in this series, I'd rather hangout with the supporting cast anyday, leaving Frankie to man-the-phone! According to interveiws Director Cal Coons chose the lead actress, leaving her in the role as he left the show before Season 2 began shooting. A star each for the talented three supporting cast members who carry the series along with the guest cast members.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Careless
mjmck-1763427 November 2017
I have lasted 12 minutes of the first episode. I started watching because I like period drama/ crime shows. The cast is very good looking, and I love some of the accents... not "American": some nice regional touches. The music also is good. The locale shots are well handled. The clothes are gorgeous. But in the first 12 minutes, 6 glaring anachronisms. Maybe these are for people who wouldn't understand that, for instance, the word "teenager" did not come into the language until after WW2.. I think the 50's. There are many more. The interracial relationships are unlikely, but a fun premise for the drama, I guess. Realism and or accuracy are perhaps not the reason one would watch this. The clothes though..the clothes. Naturally this site has just jammed everything I have said into one gloppy paragraph...maybe down to 4.
23 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice cast and good costumes
klouzal-wa11 August 2019
It's a nice cast and involves two women in a detective agency as opposed to private citizens. They work with a female Morality Officer who wants to a police woman/detective and a female coroner.

The period costumes are just great for those of you who like to see historical fashions.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A ball and a miss
ldoloresaviles28 December 2017
What an obvious effort to "americanize" the MISS FISHER MYSTERY SERIES. What a stinker! Find a real Woman for the lead, not some just out of her teens, no life experiences to speak of childi first, don't make it a race correct series 2nd. Get the lead female to comply with authentic era hairdo, a big ahead of her time but of the era. . How come the Aussies, Canadians, English and Scots can put together era correct mystery series without mucking them up with political correctness of moral code intervention. All I as is for good era mystery series that gives we the watching public a brain challenge and entertain, now is that so hard? You guys just have to kick it up by American political correctness. Throw this one back in the garbage can, it sucks.
22 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets Better with Time
sdowen-5979320 January 2019
The chemistry was off in the first 4 episodes. If you give Frankie Drake a chance it eventually hits it's stride.

It's fun, less serious than it's sister series, Murdoch Mystery's. They've done a great job capturing life in Toronto in the 20's.

It's fast paced and silly at times, but that's the writers intention. The story arcs are a little predictable but not a big deal.

Overall Frankie Drake is a fun show to watch as long as you're willing to give it a chance.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is an awesome series
bluemanmtl25 December 2019
I just finished watching all 3 seasons, i enjoyed them all and each season was better than the last. Bravo on a wonderfully created, acted, directed and produced show. Great stories that often touch on hard issues. Great job to all involved!!!!! Awesome!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trudy should be the lead!!
shonnanitzel27 August 2018
The lead woman Frankie has as much appeal as a plank of wood! Trudy (chantel) seems very compelling and maybe she could carry the series??? So badly acted it is almost a spoof. Not even close to a Miss Fisher it even a Murdoch show.
11 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad, it's not even funny.
Jbird6520 February 2018
I thought this would be somewhere along the lines of Murdoch Mysteries and Republic of Doyle, but it isn't. Predictable with truly lousy acting all counts. I gave it 6 episodes to be sure and it is definitely one to avoid.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lesser Miss Fisher
kam5728 September 2018
So many aspects of this show are blatant copies of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.It is set in the 1920's, has a main female lead who solves crimes and who adores men. She dresses with flair, indulges herself in all pleasures, has a friend in the police force, has several quirky off- siders,(though female in this case) has no time for racism, can fight, is able to traverse various social levels, is beautiful, spirited and charming, has a keen intellect and can turn her hand to almost anything. The main difference is that the lead actress just doesn't quite gel. I liked her in a previous show I saw her in, but she is just too modern in her intonation, movements and mannerisms. I wanted to love this show but it is a pale copy and needs a lot more individuality.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent tv series
susanblackmith11 February 2018
A wonderful detective story, without falling in any of the common marketing tricks used nowadays to shock audiencias like sex, interracial couples or gay couples. The characters are wonderful and the plots perfect to a family audience.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely delightful!
charmedlyf3915 February 2019
The cast is perfect together! The story lines are excellent! Murdoch Mysteries is on the same level of excellence! The cast of characters are over the top!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.