Edge of Extinction (2020) Poster

An extra star for the effort
allanwatts-0212220 May 2020
Considering the budget for the entire film was half a milkshake & stale bag of chips, the producer, actors, wardrobe, sets....hell the whole team did quite well. Yes it did carry on a little too long in parts, but overall what I liked about it was that it was as close to realistic as you could imagine it to be. Good effort team!
31 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has potential.
fad-3879818 May 2020
At the start, I thought it was another very low budget plinky piano miserable student art project.

As the story developed the film showed great promise and while it did not deliver what it should, it is still worth a watch.

The good things - story, decent enough script (although does has some pretty poor monologues)

The bad things - poor acting, poor dialogue, set dressing far too tidy and did I mention the poor acting?

Give it a go. You might be surprised.
30 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
directortim20125 February 2021
I admire that this film depicts a very grim, post-apocalyptic setting and really goes for it. Doesn't hold back. It's not a story for the faint of heart or anyone looking for something feel good. But I loved it. I have a thing for survival themed films and this one had me the whole way. It pulled me in with a very human story at the center of this dark reality. I cared, a lot. Which is more than I can say for some the films that just got nominated for the Golden Globes. It's also just a very well done, well shot film. It was a take no prisoners story that really paid off for me.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
finetunes23 May 2020
Really good for a low budget movie. The acting was professional and the screenplay was smart and polished. I am particular about the logic in a movie and this one had little or no plot holes, better than a lot of big budget movies.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed this....
niccutts18 June 2020
Although I only gave this a 5, I think this deserves respect for the pure dedication with who hit was made. It was clearly a project that was undertaken with passion and vision. The acting was decent in the main, and although the pacing was a little slow, I think this is clearly an indication of a film crew with future potential. Actors and directors. I appreciated it, thanks guys.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pretty engaging, let down by ending
flowirin2 August 2020
Final act failed to deliver, as it ignored the motivations of two characters.

We get a slow build up of story, stake and background. Well outside of the normal hollywood format, time and effort is spent weaving together a band of people who still have a glimmer of hope and humanity.

Its not all wonderful there's a lot of suspension of disbelief required, but it is interesting, and the complexity of the people who come and go is alluded to, even if not fully fleshed out. We get some interesting monologues that challenge the normal cardboard cutout motivations of the 'bad guys'. The lead villain reminds me of a batman movie and is played with sincerity.

And then the movie ends. Sure, we get the idea that the followers are weak, and the dominating anger of their leader and wannabe leader is all that holds them together, but it is a too large leap to believe that they'll just run away when surrounding a broken and dying few, and it is too jarring for the needs of the older couple - to see if they can rescue their maybe alive, maybe dead, and hinted at murdered by the other 'good guys', daughter - is simply dumped and forgotten.

The ending was weak, and came early, before the full resolution of the character threads.

Shame, it would be a 7 stars if they'd dealt with that. The lack of hollywood 'this thing that we show has a specific role' tropes, where the audience is tricked into feeling smart (and therefore liking the film more) and the plot is simultaneously spoilt was refreshing. It happened many times, but the final occurrence, when the woman has three arrows, but only fires two, was a nice subversion. Yes, it meant she still had one left to brandish, but that wasn't in any way focused on,.

so close! if only they'd spent the extra 10 minutes finishing it
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the low ranking
dhooghesven26 May 2020
I like sci-fi and checking out indie movies so this post-apocalyptic movie was something I simply had to see for myself. It reminded me of The Day (2011) and The Road (2009) at times, but it wasn't so depressing, although it featured most of the same themes. With a runtime of over 2 hours it managed to keep me interested and if you take into account the budget it was made with, you can't help but be impressed with the result. Compliments for the special effects team, they did a bang up job. The acting was better than community theater but do not expect Academy quality acting either. The weak point of this flick is the writing, our "heroes" make tactical mistakes by the dozens. At a certain point you start to wonder how they managed to survive for so long. I realize if we only saw smart moves in these kind of movies most of them would be over in 20 minutes or less, but there are some real facepalm moments here. Andrew Gilbert (writer/director) true talent is in directing because he managed to show gruesome violence, cannibalism and sexual violence without crossing the line into exploitation or even resort to nudity. I wouldn't mind a sequel to this and I hope Netflix or one of the three future streaming giants will get this team a budget they deserve for their next project. Mind the plot holes, enjoy the ride.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A solid post-apocalyptic indie
eddie_baggins25 August 2020
A British made post-apocalyptic offering done the way of the independent route, Edge of Extinction (at one time known as The Brink) may have a budget similar to many blockbuster's lunchtime catering options but it doesn't stop Andrew Gilbert's overly long feature film from being one that isn't going to let budget restraints hold back it's big ideas.

Originally envisioned as a short film and developed into a near two and half hour epic that follows Luke Hobson's nameless lead try and survive in a world that has failed to recover from World War 3 15 years previously, a job made tougher when he comes across Georgie Smibert's "The Girl" and Chris Kaye "The Man" who like Hobson's character are doing anything they can to survive.

This bleak and dangerous world in which our main trio find themselves in is a world where like many post-apocalyptic offerings we've seen over the journey is filled with marauders, murderers, cannibals and the odd kind-hearted soul, many scavenging for food, company and game in a universe that has long lost its humanity and grace.

There's nothing unique about this space that Extinction plays out in and it ends up taking a familiar route of revenge and violence when the human threats of the tale become more apparent and the trio at the centre of the film must forget their kindness and grace if they are to survive in a cutthroat game of life and death.

What is impressive about the film is its collection of impressive performances from its main cast with Hobson, Smibert and Kaye all investing themselves into their roles and while the characters themselves may be relatively thinly drawn and without much backstory to lay-hold on, their commitment to the cause is impressive in such a DIY affair.

The other bonus to this tale is the work of its location and technically work. The abandoned schools and farm lands of Bedfordshire England make for a great setting for this futuristic world that feels more real than ever considering the time we are in today in this global pandemic space, while the bone crunching violence and set pieces that litter the film are memorable in their nature, making this a journey not for the squeamish.

At days end there's nothing ground-breaking about Extinction and it was in dire-need of a harsher edit with the plot line of the film taking 2 - 3 unnecessary detours but for a film of this ilk, there's much to enjoy and much to admire.

Final Say -

A familiar take on the post apocalyptic sub-genre of sci-fi/thrillers done by the way of its ever apparent independent roots, Edge of Extinction is a solid attempt at bringing a harsh, potentially true to reality future to the feature film market.

3 unappealing meal preparations out of 5
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly Recommend
philipsonpaul25 May 2020
It's not often that I consciously break out of my blissful state of streaming service choice paralysis to pay for a movie, but found myself on this occasion, grateful that I had.

I approached this film with a sense of wariness, knowing that too often indie films ignore the constraints of their often modest budgets and go bonkers with CGI that's about as enjoyable to watch as the later seasons of The Walking Dead. But after the first poor chap gets bludgeoned to death very realistically (I can only assume, having never been party to a group bludgeoning first hand), I was reassured this wasn't going to fall into the same trap.

With a magnificent use of derelict and abandoned locations, great character development and a gripping tension maintained throughout, we are given a glimpse into a post apocalyptic future where extreme feminist theory that all men are total ball sacks except perhaps the odd few, is proven totally accurate.

Although the film could perhaps have benefitted from being 20-30 mins shorter, the story, plot and character personalities develop naturally and we are treated to a few fantastically poignant scenes designed to stop and make you think about the things that we carelessly take for granted.

Throughly recommend.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sci fic?
ks-6050011 September 2020
Instead of the theme I expected, I found this movie is more on human cut human, man eat man, torture others, chain up as a slave and hitting face and head bump face etc. I don't know what the story try to express. Class C production too.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film..
Clearbay_32730 May 2020
TL:DR Captivating from start to finish. Run time a bit long but totally worth it.

This is more or less a typical post-apocalyptic scenario where some event (in this case nuclear war) causes the collapse of society and tribes, gangs etc. start to form to survive killing, stealing, pillaging. Of course, there are those that also kidnap women and rape them. All this features prominently in the movie. In this film the protagonist is a loner who has managed to do quite well for himself living in relative safety in rural England and is able to horde away a lot of food and supplies. His life is suddenly turned upside down when he violates his own self-imposed rules to help a starving woman, then it all starts to come unraveled. Next we have a lot of brutality, medieval style fights, blood, rape rooms, heads getting bashed in, stabbings armed cannibalistic gangs... a lot of this kind of thing until the conflicts are all resolved. What I liked most about it that it never ever got too bogged down like a lot of movies do. The pacing was good. Just enough backstory. It was sufficiently nerve-wracking, sufficiently violent but not oo much and I liked the main characters. Mostly I like that it was incredibly unique take on post-apocalyptic world but form a very English point of view.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drags 10 minutes of screenplay into 220 minutes of boredom
radhrh25 July 2020
I really don't know what they were thinking here. Cut down to 90 minutes it could have been a decent low budget horror. As it stands though I only lasted an hour. Some really bad acting too, especially from Bryn Hodgen as the "Chief".
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this film
tammy-9095123 September 2021
I went in expecting a cheesy B movie with low budget actors etc. A low budget Indie movie...I honestly went in open minded and willing to endure some crap. I was completely wrong! Excellent acting, and honestly, this is how I think things would go...in reality, if this ever happens. The scenery and locations were great! Although, a house made of glass is the last place I'd be facing a battle. There were some parts I forwarded through. And the scenes with the girl being locked up and raped...were too long for me to endure. I fast forwarded and walked out on several parts. Because of the subject matter. It seemed very realistic to me, unlike the excessively funded Hollywood movies of the same genre. I'm actually quite blown away by how engrossed I was in this film. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll stop now. If you're looking for an Epic Hollywood CGI apocalyptic film, this isn't for you. It could've went deeper sure. But they only have so much time. This could've been a great series. I loved it and absolutely hated the reality of it at the same time. I highly recommend for anyone looking for the real deal. No sugar coating, no fake fights, no excessive drama, no CGI. Loved it! I'm giving it a 10 to make up for some Hollywood loving low raters.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget but big results
jimi_james19 May 2020
I like movies made on a low budget. It forces the filmmaker to think outside the box with regard to set design, effects and the score.

This one ticked those boxes for me. Very well shot with some fantastic performances from a relatively lesser known cast.

The locations and cinematography were great and the colour grading give a nice aesthetic.

The effects and fight choreography were simply splendid. And the score? Kept me drawn in throughout!

I'm looking forward to the DVD so I can add it to my collection. This amazing effort is why we should all support indie film.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outside of the shoddy camera work and less then satisfying ending. The movie was actually really good.
Brooklynsmagicmike20 September 2020
I had just downloaded Tubi and this was under there new releases so I thought to check it out. The movie is extremely low budget and it its very easy to tell however give it chance as it definitely gets pretty engaging as the movie goes along.

First of all the movie is action packed throughout and the gory kind which I enjoy. The pacing isn't bad and outside of slow beginning after that its smooth sailing the rest of movie. The acting was done pretty good as well for bunch of no name actors.

My only complaint had to do with more of the camera sometimes annoying shaking throughout. As well as some scenes there was noticeble amount of shoddy lag. I also thought without giving to much information after everything in movie that ending could been little better.

Overall this movie is def worth a watch and Id highly recommend it. Don't listen to the bad reviews!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Well Done!
NickRizzini7 July 2021
I loved this British post-apocalyptic feature. The concept is intriguing, the story is engaging and believable. All the actors are great and the directing has made this indie film stand out! I highly recommend!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Indy, Post Apocalyptic yarn that drags you in to the story & characters. Worth a look.
northlandsalvia23 May 2020
An Indy, Post Apocalyptic yarn that was interesting & had good cinematography reflecting the desolate social & physical landscape where Order has broken down & the prevailing Power determines all outcomes.

Acting was believable & refreshing.

Good storyline, sound was up to scratch & delivered entertainment that saw me watch to the end.

Try it, you might just like it.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those fight scenes tho
spikeroo-2933327 May 2020
Inconsistent acting on a very low budget film. Most of the fight scenes are very cringe worthy.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
devilbruv25 March 2021
The best low budget thriller/action movie is all you need if you're craving to watch something new. The movie is immaculate and left me absolutely speechless with the ending. It has a similar vibe to the walking dead but without the zombies and a lower budget. Definitely recommend it, solid 10/10 in my opinion.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pointless bloodbath
alcosta-197-77444222 June 2020
The idea of a canibalistic postwar era is too beaten up to make a movie out of it. For it can only lead to bloody scenes, violence, and eventually emotional numbness Basically, you get tired of it and turn off the TV
17 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a good film!
craigahrens6 February 2021
What a terrific film!! I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end. The cast all did such a good job. No weak performances! All the actors were spot on!! I liked the pacing! Well done by Director Andrew Gilbert! My mind never drifted off which is rare! I super enjoyed the look of this film. It was very well shot!! Bravo to all the talented folks the made this film! Bravo all, you done well!!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite a good portrayal of lawless existence.
martgym30 April 2021
Not too gory. Good locations decent story and speed.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Grim Vision of a Post-apocalyptic Britain
harryk-9376720 December 2021
Surprised by how good this was, really felt like it could happen. Perhaps the only flaw is that I think a nuclear Winter would leave the country in an even worse state. Congratulations to the actors; I think they really made the film!
raw and powerful
williamgway21 September 2020
This film takes you into the post WW3 life of gritty and dirty survival. Well acted, especially by the lead and the story is captivating. It is long, but none the less holds your attention. At times it is tough and emotional, but despite the length I would not have reduced it at all. Worth a watch. Be prepared.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant.
jajar-1987720 May 2020
I'm not one for indie films but this caught my eye, absolutely loved it
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.