Us (2019) Poster

(II) (2019)

3,501 Reviews
Totally 100% Illogical!
rogerdob20 April 2019
I know that we, as moviegoers, must often suspend belief in order to enjoy movies. However this film pushes the viewer completely over the limits. Let's count some of them...1) there are millions and millions of dopplegangers of us living in tunnels below us, 2) they were created by the US government, 3) their only source of food are rabbits!, 4) they are all dressed in red clothing (who made the clothing?), 5) no one, absolutely no one, thinks of or suggests getting a gun to protect themselves (such an action would have solved the problem and ended the film early). This film is an embarrasment to horror films...even some of the worst horror films attempt a reason that is somewhat believeable for their premise. Move this film into the discount bin of DVD's at Walmart.
1,134 out of 1,571 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Double trouble.
BA_Harrison26 March 2019
When Adelaide (Lupita Nyong'o) returns to Santa Cruz, the site of a childhood trauma, with her husband Gabe (Winston Duke) and children Zora (Shahadi Wright Joseph) and Jason (Evan Alex), she finds her family stalked by a group of doppelgängers intent on doing them harm.

My initial thought: that's no way to play whack-a-mole. You don't just stand there and hit the same mole over and over. Couldn't the actor be bothered? Still, I'm a reasonable person and can let that slide just so long as the rest of the film is good.

Unfortunately, it turns out that iffy whack-a-mole tactics are the least of this film's problems.

Character development is fine-I liked the central family, and their obnoxious friends were fun, but once the shadow people appear, it all starts to go a bit pear-shaped...

I understand that the home invasion scene is intended to be dark comedy, which I'm fine with, but I'd liked to have had some genuine tension and a few solid frights along the way. At no point did I feel scared, which is disappointing when you've signed on for a horror movie. I also don't understand why the doppelgängers don't kill the family straight away (other than for the convenience of the plot), but that's just one puzzler amongst many.

Peele finally hits his horror stride with the attack at the neighbours' home, and the fight against the shadow twins, but once it becomes apparent that the phenomena is nationwide, the film takes a serious nosedive. Rather than leave the nature of his villains mysterious, Peele gives us a ridiculous back story to the shadow people that makes very little sense whatsoever.

The viewer is expected to believe in the creation of thousands, nay millions, of underground shadow people who control the population above through puppetry. These people live in a network of tunnels and, so I understand, eat raw rabbit meat. This premise leaves countless unanswered questions, none of which are adequately addressed. It's a half-assed attempt at an explanation which would have been best left unsaid.

Peele then expects us to swallow the idea that the countless shadow people have been organised into an army by Adelaide's evil doppelgänger. Clad in red jumpsuits and armed with scissors (acquired from a subterranean red jumpsuit and golden scissors warehouse, no doubt), she plans for her people to invade the world above. To what end? To overpower their more privileged doubles and then hold hands in a chain across America, as an act of defiance and solidarity.

All of this is intended as a metaphor for class divide in America, mirroring the fight between the haves and have-nots, and the struggle for equality, but the subtext comes at the expense of logic and narrative cohesion. Peele closes matters with a silly twist ending that only raises further awkward questions.

My closing thought: could have been great, but the whack-a-mole incident is just the start of it.
114 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for me
Leofwine_draca1 February 2020
While I thought Jordan Peele's GET OUT was acceptable albeit overrated, US is another story altogether. It's a boringly pretentious 'survival horror' type story filled with annoying characters and rote action sequences. Things begin with an elaborate setup which lasts half an hour but feels twice as long; I felt my eyes dropping at this point. Then the action begins, and it takes the form of those predictable 'home invasion' style thrillers in which the protagonists somehow manage to keep surviving overwhelming odds. Plenty of violence and shrieking, but nothing in the way of originality, while the larger plotline is simply ridiculous. I appreciate the efforts to make an allegory and how realism isn't necessarily a priority, but this just felt like nonsense to me. Then there's the dragged-out twist ending, which anyone can guess from the beginning. Bad times.
88 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just because you want it to be good, doesn't make it good.
Finfrosk8621 March 2019
Jordan Peele is at it again!

Hard to say too much about this one without spoiling, but here goes. The acting is good, especially considering many of the actors plays two roles. They all do a bang up job in that regard. So no trouble so far. The movie looks good. I have no complains here either. It's technically very well made. We always see what's going on, no shaky cam or anything like that. Some nice shots too. The humor works pretty well, the dialogue comes off as natural. I like the beginning of the movie, the family is pretty likable. The movie is sort of a mystery, and when the mystery unravels is when we get to some slight problems. The scrips seems to be based on a pretty good idea, that was never thoroughly worked out. It just isn't thought all the way through. I am left with several questions, and not in a good way. This is spoiler terriroty, so I won't go into detail, but it didn't sit well with me. Doesn't seem to make sense. The plot has more holes than a swizz cheese. (that almost no critics talk about this is very strange)

Now, in the movies defence, the sub-genre it turne out to be is very far from my favorite, so others might like it better. I've seen a lot of horror movies, and this is just not one of the best ones. It is mediocre. Not a weak movie, but definitely no classic. Will not be watching it again.
567 out of 880 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So stupid
annieboo-410787 April 2019
Started off good until the doppelganger started talking. I felt like they tired way too hard for it to be scary. The music they chose was scary but didn't match the movie. The doppelganger son, acting like a dog was just plain stupid. Not scary at all. The plot made zero sense. There was no point to this movie. I was literally laughing because it was so stupid, and not scary at all.
820 out of 1,146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's Be Honest
One_slice_of_pizza28 March 2019
If the name wasn't Jordan Peele, you would have walked out of that theater. Most of the audience went to see US because of the amazing experience they had with the successful movie Get Out.

US starts with introducing us the family. The visuals are stunning, great score puts you right into the mood and there's a significant effort spent to make the characters likeable, up until the bad guys show up.

Until here, everything is right and we feel like we're watching a Jordan Peele movie. Then, it takes a wrong turn and falls down flat on its face.

The bad guys show up and as soon as Lupita's doppelgänger opens her mouth, the movie finishes for me. All of a sudden, I feel like I'm in a ridiculous movie made by a 13 year old. Her raspy voice sounded really stupid and cheesy rather than creepy.

Although I liked some of the humor, I felt like some jokes straight up ruined the scene's ambiance:

Okay. There is a family that looks exactly like you, standing right in front of you holding scissors, everyone looks scared to death and then you just have to say "Please take the boat", really now?

Once I experienced these untimely jokes, it went downhill for me really fast. The chase and the combat scenes are far from being realistic and I started to feel like a Jordan Peele parody on YouTube rather than an original picture.

The movie gets worse and worse after that and once things are being overly explained you scream WHAT? Because nothing makes sense and immediately you notice a plot hole after a plot hole.

Like many revievers said before, this movie would have been much better if nothing was explained and left for our imagination. At least the plot would make some sort of sense.

As for the acting, Nyongo puts an amazing performance. Although she plays two characters, you could swear the actors are different. She's that good. You could see every single emotion there's to exist on her facial expressions. Creepy? You got it. Sweet and caring? You got that too.

However, the others were an epic fail. The dad was annoying with no mimics whatsoever, the girl overplayed the emotions almost every scene and the boy was too stiff.

Overall, if you want to see a movie with great visuals and musical score everyone's talking about, then go see this movie to form your own opinion.

But, if you say the movie you watch has to have a great story and should make sense, then wait for it to show up on a streaming network.

4/10 for the visuals, soundtrack and some acting.
429 out of 619 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Games
Prismark1012 August 2019
Us is a puzzling film that slowly reveals its layers but then becomes more illogical and confusing.

It is better to not think about too deeply and just enjoy the ride. It means you lose any subtext the filmmaker had about a society of us and the others.

The film opens at the funfair in the boardwalk of Santa Cruz in 1986. A small girl, Adelaide is on holiday and wanders off while her father is playing whack-a-mole. As she enters a funhouse she sees a doppelgänger of herself in the hall of mirrors. This encounter left her unable to communicate for some time and still affects her in the present day.

We then cut to the present day when Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong'o) is vacationing at their summer home in Santa Cruz with her husband Gabe (Winston Duke) and two children Zora and Jason.

One evening the Wilsons see another family that looks exactly like them standing outside the house decked out in red overalls. They look like they mean to harm them and they are somehow tethered to the soul of the individual Wilson family members.

The doppelgängers all grunt except for Red, Adelaide's double who speaks with a raspy voice. Red tells Adelaide that both of them are tethered together and share a soul. These doubles live in a subterranean underground world.

As an home invasion horror it is very effective and chilling, we find out that other families are being slaughtered by their doubles. It leads to a problem. Why are the Wilsons being toyed with when other families are being brutally killed and the violence is spreading as the doubles attempt to enact their own Hands across America.

The moment the film broadens its premise it starts losing it logic. Even when the family try to get away from Santa Cruz and head down to Mexico, after driving all night they are somehow still in Santa Cruz. I've been to Santa Cruz it is not that big!

Jordan Peele tries to underpin his film with some kind of explanation and symbolism but it is half baked. He also wants to tie the film together by making it all about Adelaide. Unlike Get Out there is little humour in this film although Gabe is meant to be a dorky dad.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of hype, but not fully satisfying.
ksmart7321 March 2019
I hate saying this, but this film is the product of when you've got incredible everything and an underdeveloped script. The concepts are great, but lose their value and appreciation because there is so much with so little explanation, leaving me with the impression that they were not completely thought-out. Acting was incredible, cinematography, lighting, set design, and sound track were wonderful too! It's just that the script and story does not fully deliver. It's so conceptual that it loses horror, yet so rushed in execution that it loses coherence.
461 out of 681 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great idea, questionable execution...
The_Film_Auditor23 March 2019
I am torn on whether or not I like the story of Us. Part of me really likes the originality of the idea and the subtle social commentary the film delivers; however, I felt that despite Us having an interesting idea, the execution led to a disjointed story that felt a bit scatterbrained. There were definitely parts of the film that were suspenseful and horrifying, but at the same time, other parts felt too over-explained or tropey. This leads to me having many unanswered questions about certain aspects and feeling like other aspects shouldn't have been explained at all to keep the mystery. I think the story is hard to talk about without spoiling it, but overall, I expected more from Jordan Peele's writing but did enjoy some of it.

Despite my indecisive feelings of the film's story, many pieces of the film were exceptionally well done. One aspect that stood out in Us was the soundtrack and the usage of music. I think the original soundtrack was memorable and used appropriately to accentuate the feeling of horror at some points in the film. On the flip side, the soundtrack was used to perfectly contrast what was going on onscreen. This led to some great sequences (the Beach Boys scene) that utilized the soundtrack in an interesting way. Another part of the film that I really enjoyed was Lupita Nyong'o and the child actors' performances. Nyong'o in particular is the most terrifying part of the film. She plays both a horrific monster and a badass mother, making it easy to forget that the same actor plays them.

As a whole, I think Us is an enjoyable horror film that has some missteps with its story elements and structure. I would recommend this film to horror fans, but don't go into the film expecting anything like Get Out.
410 out of 612 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
most overhyped movie
nikosxen22 March 2019
I am sure that this review is going to get a ton of down votes and I am pretty sure that all those 10/10 reviews are bot accounts (if you dont believe me check the profiles) so I wont spent much time analyzing the film. Many many plot holes,little substance and ultimately you have a movie with a weak script based on a good idea that takes itself way to seriously without achieving even half of what it promises. Get out worked that well because it didn't take itself that seriously and there was always an underlying tone of dark comedy to it. It gets a 5 because I liked the cinematography and I thought that the performances where actually quite good!
1,284 out of 1,839 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started out nice and then it just turned into rubbish...
paul_haakonsen14 June 2019
I wanted to like this movie. I really, really did. But I just couldn't get into it.

Whereas "Get Out" was mildly interesting at least, "Us" is just downright laughable.

The movie starts out well enough with writer and director Jordan Peele actually managing to set a good atmosphere and slowly build up suspense. But the entire setup came crashing hard when you find out what is going on and the mysterious looming strangers are revealed.

Now, the acting performances in the movie were good, but it was so hard to take the Red character serious with the way she was talking. It just fully destroyed everything that was even remotely interesting about the character.

I enjoyed the movie up to the point where you find out about the strangers in red, then I just went blank and watched the movie with half of my attention on the screen and the other half on social media on my phone. Yeah, the movie ended up being that unappealing.

I managed to endure this ordeal to the bitter end, and I can't claim to have been entertained in a memorable and satisfying manner from this movie. And this is by no means a movie that I will be watching ever again.
59 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Bad
billybacktown27 March 2019
All this movie wants you to do is go on the internet afterwards and read the 75 million different theories people have about it.

Also to call this a "horror movie" is comical. Dumbest movie I've seen in a while.
398 out of 622 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed.
coopde-8868422 March 2019
Trailer was better than the movie. To me this movie just never takes off. It's a shame because there is some fantastic imagery and a wonderful theme lying underneath but in the end it can not overcome its plot holes and failed delivery of the message its trying to speak. It truly believes it's deeper than it is, but left me unfulfilled. Kind of lazy/rushed writing in my opinion. Kind of just throws a bunch of mediocre stuff at you without any real substance and expects the audience to give it purpose and deeper meaning in there own heads. Which is fine to do but to me this movie wasn't worthy of that merit of thought. You keep waiting for it to evolve but it just never does. Honestly can't believe critics are putting this on such a pedestal giving it such rave reviews.
1,056 out of 1,424 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy not horror
MiriamAF28 June 2019
This movie should be listed under comedy category not a horror for sure. At one point I thought Madea's Tyler Perry character would appear.
221 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
Goonie_BR18 April 2019
I wanted to like this movie, I was so excited about the trailer and I like the idea behind it, it's very original... but it simply didn't happed. Although we can say that Jordan Peele is a filmmaker who thinks outside the box and brings important and strong subjects, I thought the movie was poorly developed. I need to believe in what I'm watching, but there are so many plot holes and inconsistencies that the whole experience was damaged. The metaphors are confusing, the explanations are flat and forced, the writing felt really lazy to me. And to add, I thought the mix of comedy and horror, that can be made in very harmonic ways, was unbalanced. All the time the comedic moments came up to break the tension, so I was not able to get scared at all and I wanted to be. Nevertheless, I'd like to point out the amazing acting of Lupyta. Her delivery is always intense and strong, no matter which character she is playing. And I hope Peele keeps his originality, but learns to develop better narratives in the future.
446 out of 569 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a film for plot-hole enthusiasts
umimelectric24 May 2019
Unpopular opinion: this film is ridiculous. It makes little sense, it's inconsistent, unreasonable, cringe-worthy, and at times unintentionally comedic. No I'm not talking about the cheesy jokes that a family who should be traumatized still manages to utter in times of great duress, I'm referring to the poignant and dramatic moments of the film being an absolute laugh. I've seen budget-production indie flicks that were just as good as this story, if not better...simply put, it's a lot of hype over a very mediocre film.
62 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much potential...so much confusion.
thejilliebean1621 March 2019
I liked the movie a lot. I thought it was very well shot and very well acted, and I can appreciate Peele's subtle homages to previous horror films throughout. However, the story itself is very weak and a bit of a mess.

A big concern for the main characters, as well as for the viewers, is why these doppelgängers (known in the movie as The Tethered) are attacking. So we are lead from almost the beginning, to want those answers, and when they're actually delivered, it's pretty unsatisfying.

The logic (or lackthereof) of The Tethered's existence and motivation is very messy and ultimately ruins the final conclusion of the film, because it leaves too many holes in the story that need to be answered.

If Peele had removed the explanation element as to the Tethered's existence, functionality etc. it would have made it a better story in my opinion. It becomes then a survival horror film, and leaves more to the viewer's imagination and thoughts as to the how and why, and that could even leave some good opportunities for symbolism etc. which Peele is known for. Not to mention it would have made the final conclusion even more shocking, compelling and thought provoking, and viewers would be talking about it for a long time, in all the best ways. Instead we're left talking about the many plot holes in the explanation.

All in all, as a standalone movie, it's really good and I can appreciate it for what it is, despite some of it's plot points I'd like further explanation on.

Also, I don't really think it can or should be compared to Get Out in any way because they're two completely different films, in genre and the overall tone. Us is a horror film and Get Out is a social thriller. So it's unfair to pit them against each other, or put them in the same league, even though they share the same director. I feel like people looking to do that are going to end up disappointed with this movie no matter what.
955 out of 1,302 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film with dodgy voices.
bob-the-movie-man22 June 2019
What a great film "Get Out" was. Jordan Peele's classic which unpeeled (sic) race relations in a wholly novel and horrifying way. Yes, the story was a bit 'out there' and unbelievable, but he pulled it off with great chutzpah.

With his follow-up film - "Us".... sorry but, for me, it just didn't work.

It all starts so promisingly. Young Adelaide Wilson (a fine debut performance by Madison Curry) is on a seaside holiday with her mother and careless father when she wanders onto the deserted Santa Cruz beach at night. There sits, like some gothic horror ghost train, the Hall of Mirrors. "Find Yourself" it taunts. She makes the mistake of entering and changes her life forever.

Spin forwards 30 years and Adelaide, now a married mother of two, is back in Santa Cruz with a terrifying feeling that things are about to go pear-shaped. And of course they do!

Why oh why oh why those voices? This film had me gripped until a particular point. Having people stand still and silent at the end of your drive is an incredibly spooky thing to show. But then, for me, the wheels came off big time. The "reveal" of who these people were I could take. But the manner of their behaviour and - particularly - how they talked was horrifying; and not in a good way. When "Red" started speaking I couldn't believe my ears: Joe Pasquale after swallowing Donald Duck.

From there, the film became farcical for me, descending in progressive stages to a tunnel-based apocalypse: a plot element that was just so paper thin it bore no scrutiny at all.

This was, no doubt, an attempt at a satirical dig at the class structure of America ("We are Americans" adding a double meaning to the name of the film). If it had been played as a deliberate comedy farce it might have worked. But otherwise no.

This is not to say that there are not positives in the film. The excellent Lupita Nyong'o gives the whacky material her all, and the other adult female lead - Elisabeth Moss (from TV's "The Handmaid's Tale") - is good value as Kitty Tyler: a diabolical incarnation in either form!

Peele also delivers flashes of directorial brilliance. The "hands across America", disappearing into the sea, is a sight that stays with you. I also liked the twist at the end, although in retrospect it's difficult to relate it to the rest of the story and strikes of desperation in the storytelling.

I know there are some who really like this movie. Each to their own, but I was not one of them. After "Get Out" I was hoping for something much better. I hope that was just Jordan Peele's "difficult second album".

(For the full graphical review, please go to "One Mann's Movies" on t'internet or Facebook. Thanks.)
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
intriguing but flawed
SnoopyStyle31 August 2019
In 1986, a girl wanders away from her father in a carnival fair. She is shocked by a doppelganger. In the present day, the Wilson family is on vacation. They are shocked by their own doppelgangers wearing red overalls and armed with scissors.

I like the comedy when they happen. The horror isn't that horrific but it is intriguing. What I love most about the horror is its unknowable premise. That it is unknowable until the movie tries to let us know it. It's actually a lot more creepy when these unknown doppelgangers appear out of nowhere without explanations. The problem starts with the opening text. The knowledge of tunnels is unnecessary. It's a piece of a puzzle which is better left unsolved. The present day story should really end after the news report on the TV. It can then go back to 1986 for that surprise reveal but it's not necessary to try to explain the world beneath. I do like the final twist but it doesn't need more than that. Jordan Peele has a pretty good concept but it's not as clever as he thinks it is. That's why the harder he attempts to explain, the less interesting it is.
37 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Get Out" of the mindset that this is a straight-forward horror film
pere-2536622 March 2019
People thinking this will be a straight-forward horror film will be disappointed; Us (2019) is a complex, mind bending experience that tests the limitations of what a horror film can be. What's great about the film is how differently people will interpret what they've witnessed. I left the theater tonight to the sounds of people passionately discussing theories, different explanations and thoughts on it all - and that, to me, is one of the great joys in leaving a great film.
501 out of 887 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty bad
pacman-8125 March 2019
I struggled to like much in this. Good cast but performed badly in large parts with over acting to try and be scary being the worst thing. The Plot started well and was intriguing but the more it went on on I actually found it laughable. By the time it hit a big a twist at the end I didn't care. Plus point of the film was the child actors were impressive.
129 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The plot ruins this film
edwardjsmith-0209022 March 2019
I understand what was trying to be achieved but it fell flat.

This movie reminded me of movies like the mist or cloverfield. There is this underlying plot of "sci-fi experiment gone wrong" that doesn't get explained. However in this film we get a small but lazy explanation. This came in the form of a text card at the beginning of the film that basically reads "There thousands of tunnels in the world. Who knows what's in them". This was the movies only explanation and setup for a civilization of 6 million clones of people living in an underground tunnel. When the movie ended and it pieced together to be this it made for an overarching plot that was just stupid.

Now these clones did refer to themselves as shadows because they were sometimes forced to mimic the movements of the person they are cloned after. It was weird how selective that was and is very inconsistent in a way that hurt a couple scenes in the movie.

The rest of the movie is just those 6 million clones coming out of the tunnel and killing the person they are cloned after. Once they accomplish that they hold hands and form a line stretching across the United States. And no I'm not kidding, this is exactly how the movie ends.

The only redeeming qualities was good acting, good music, and decent humor. However, none of that can fix a terrible plot that ended with an nonsensical twist. Like a sour cherry ontop.
1,166 out of 1,542 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annoying and Illogical
claudio_carvalho10 May 2020
The overrated "Us" is one of the worst films recently released that I had the chance to see. The plot is annoying and illogical, with a terrible senseless story. The performances are awful, with most of the black characters with the eyes wide open. Gabe is a stupid character taking the most imbecile attitudes. The explanation in the ending is ridiculous. In the end, "Us" is a waste of time: read a book, watch another movie or take a nap instead of watching this film is the best advice. My vote is two.

Title (Brazil): "Nós" ("Us")
92 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretentious, predictable, silly stretched, unlogical waste of time.
danielfiodorov4 April 2019
30 min silly plot stretched to 2 hours with long exposition, pretentiously long shots, stupid action, logical gaps and potentially good ideas.
294 out of 452 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filled with ideas and inspiration
BandSAboutMovies23 March 2019
I was concerned that after Get Out that there would be no way that this movie could live up to that work of art, nor could it equal the hype. That's been the problem with so many elevated horror films of the past few years, movies that were so hyped that they couldn't help but be vaporware on celluloid, ciphers of films that barely hold interest much less devotion.

Writer/director/producer Jordan Peele has stated that he was dismayed by the genre confusion of Get Out, so he opted to make a full-on horror film as his follow-up. Unlike nearly every horror movie I've seen in a theater for the past two years, I'm happy to report he's succeeded. The packed house we saw the film in was only too happy to scream out loud, yell things at the scream and react to every story beat as a horror movie audience should.

Unlike a movie like last year's Halloween, Us is all about the terror of someone coming after you. There are numerous instances of stalking here that add up to true tension - as a horror movie should. It's also a testament to Peele's growing skills as a storyteller that there's so much humanity under what's also a pretty darn great popcorn movie.

The film starts with a TV showing us commercials for the beachfront at Santa Cruz and Hands Across America, the May 25, 1985 benefit and PR stunt where 6.5 million people held hands for fifteen minutes, creating a human chain across the United States. If you look closely, several VHS movies are on the shelf: The Right Stuff, The Man with Two Brains (a nod to Get Out), The Goonies (one of the evil twins yells, "It's our time now!" a Corey Feldman quote from this film) and C.H.U.D.

Between the quote that opens the film about tunnels under America and this VHS box, what happens next shouldn't be a total surprise. Those Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers were all the rage in the mid-80's, as that film and whether or not it could be true were hotly debated topics in my teen years. It's also a movie directed by Douglas Cheek - the father of Peele's first girlfriend.

We then discover the film's heroine, Adelaide Thomas, on a beach vacation with her parents. The film even cleverly references another film that deals with the terrors of the boardwalk, The Lost Boys, by having Adelaide's mother say, "You know, they're shooting a movie over there by the carousel."

Wandering off on her own, the young girl enters a hall of mirrors where she meets her doppelganger, a moment that we only see in small bursts until the end of the film. She becomes traumatized by the experience and it's only through becoming a dancer that she is able to express her emotions and move on.

In the here and now, Adelaide (Lupita Nyong'o, Black Panther), her husband Gabe (Winston Duke, also of Black Panther and someone who feels like the voice of one of Peele's comedy characters at numerous points in the film) and their children, Zora and Jason are on their way to that very same beach. Adelaide is content to stay in the beach house and never go to the boardwalk, but her husband begs them to go to the boardwalk to hang out with another family, the Tylers (which is made up of Mad Men's Elisabeth Moss as the mother, Tim Heidecker from Tim and Eric as the dad, and their twin daughters).

Adelaide has been on edge all day. The man she saw as a child carrying a Jeremiah 11:11 sign is now a dead body being loaded onto an ambulance. And that Bible passage - "Therefore thus saith the Lord, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them." - doesn't seem like a portent of anything good happening. That quote - and the 11:11 duality - is also referenced in the digital clock shown before the power goes out later in the film. A trivia note here: the doppelganger that replaces the man with the sign even has 11:11 scratched into his forehead.

This is a film based on duality and the scene that follows repeats the same journey that Adelaide made as a child, now with her son Jason wandering off, as he finds a stranger dripping blood. She instantly freaks out and gives chase, finding him and forcing her family to leave the beach.

That night, she demands that the family cut their vacation short. But then, the power is cut and the movie does what horror does best: drop the bottom out. Reality is no longer what you expect and now, a family that looks exactly like the Wilsons are on the front doorstep of their home. The police are fourteen minutes away, but that may as well be a lifetime.

This cracked mirror version of our heroes goes after the family with a vengeance. Adelaide is handcuffed to the living room table by Red, the leader. Zora, who wanted to quit track, is now chased on foot by Umbrae (the name literally means inner darkness or an eclipse). Gabe is dragged across broken glass and taken outside by Abraham. And Jason is pulled into a closet by the burned and scarred Pluto (the smallest of the planets, but also the name for the god of the underworld).

Each member of the family must deal with their duplicates on their own. Gabe, who has been a comedy figure and obsessed with his barely operating boat, uses said nautical craft to effectively murder his twin. Jason is able to realize that he can use his duality with Pluto to trap him in the closet, which gives his family time to escape to the boat.

Here's where this movie gets even better: when the family makes their way to the home of the Tylers, we soon realize that the shadow versions aren't unique to our hero family. No, everyone has one of these twins and they've all started to rise from the underworld with murderous intentions. Now, the creatures known as the Tethered are killing their surface world sides and forming a human chain.

Umbrae attacks the family as they drive off, but Zora uses the car - and not her human running ability - to kill her. But as they get to the boardwalk, the road is blocked by Pluto who has set fire to numerous cars and traps the family. Jason realizes that he's still tied to the boy, so he makes him walk into the flames before Red kidnaps him.

Adelaide follows her twin through the hall of mirrors and then deeper and deeper into the earth, passing the cages of rabbits which we saw in the title sequence. Now, we learn that the Tethered were a government creation, made to control people before being abandoned. Now, they are forced to remain in the shadows, stuck replicating the motions of their free twins above ground. Once Adelaide and Red met in 1986, their connection was a message from God that Red must lead the Tethered into the light.

Again, any other movie would stop here. The ideas are big enough. But like the best in horror, reality can be further destroyed by the real duality of the film: the heroine that we've been behind the entire film is actually the doppelganger. The real Adelaide is the one who has led the uprising, with the 1986 Hands Across America action as her childhood vision of what adults do to make a statement. Only Jason realizes this, as he slides his monster mask down on his face (I love how he constantly wears this, much like Frankie wearing the Dracula mask throughout The Lady in White).

The final thing we see is the family driving an ambulance into a burning city, surrounded by helicopters and the human chain of the Tethered stretching out into the horizon.

For all the talk of movies appearing to be John Carpenter influenced, this is the most Carpenter film I've seen that he didn't direct. It has all the elements - a group under attack by forces they don't understand, evil that wants to destroy you for no reason other than it wants you dead and an ending that appears as positive as it does negative. There's an underlying menace in Us that Carpenter's films have and few others can achieve.

Peele gave the cast ten horror films to watch so they would have a shared language when filming this movie: Dead Again, The Shining, The Babadook, It Follows, A Tale of Two Sisters, The Birds, Funny Games, Martyrs, Let the Right One In and The Sixth Sense. I believed this allowed them to easily create a language of their own. Peele has also called out a direct inspiration for this movie came from The Twilight Zone episode "Mirror Image," in which a woman sees her twin at a train station and becomes obsessed with the fact that her evil side is trying to replace her.

Some may decry this movie for how it leaves so much unexplained: how could there be an entire world under ours, where people do the same actions as us, trapped to live in our shadow? Why do we need an explanation spelled out to us? Why can't we accept this premise and enjoy where it takes us?

Me, I'm wondering what the symbolism of having two Black Flag shirts - the logo shirt and the My War shirt, an album that divided the band's fanbase due to it being more Black Sabbath than fast punk rock - means. I was probably the only person in the theater concerned with such things. In fact, clothing is a big part of this movie, with the Michael Jackson Thriller shirt symbolizing the strange duality of the childlike Michael and his horrific red-clad zombie twin in the music video. In fact, Peele has referred to Jackson as "the patron saint of duality." Hell, the Tethered wear the same red as Jackson and also have one glove on their hands.

My favorite part of this movie is that it explores the dark side of the neon hue of the 80's. Even Hands Across America - an effort to bring people together and raise money for charity - always seemed creepy to me. I wasn't alone. As Peele told the L.A. Times, "There was this kind of almost Stepford-creepy sense of American hope that we can do anything as long as we just hold our hands together."

Obviously, I've put plenty of throught into this film. What I've come out with is that Peele is no one trick pony. I'm pleased to report that Us only confirms what Get Out hinted at.
343 out of 663 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.