Vault (2019) Poster

(2019)

A 5th-grader can write a better screenplay
TheTopDawgCritic26 July 2019
Even all the fake 9 and 10/10 reviews can't save the rating of this film.

Actor, turned novice writer-director Tom DeNucci, did a fairly decent job behind the camera as director, but failed to direct his cast properly.

But his screenplay... wow, why didn't anyone else proofread this mess? This is one of the worst screenplays I've seen, and seriously failed what could've been a great biopic. A 5th-grader could've written a better screenplay. The first half was ok, for a novice writer, but what was the point of 80% of the second half? Long dragged out and unnecessary scenes with a terrible pace. I literally had to FFW some of the long useless scenes. The 99 min runtime should've been cut down to 80 mins max with the content filmed. Editing was the next flop... did someone simply use scissors and tape randomly to edit the first half of the film, then simply not edit/cut anything at all the second half?

The acting was decent, considering the director did a lousy job directing his cast, but not as bad as other reviewers mention. The cinematography was great and the era settings/props where on point. The score wasn't bad either.

It's a shame Tom DeNucci didn't at least get a seasoned writer to proofread his script, as it would have made a great film on this biopic (for actual story, Google "Wikipedia Bonded Vault heist"). Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. Sadly, it's only a 3/10 from me.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
contactmaz14 June 2019
A good story because it's based on a real heist but the acting and script was bad. Very poor acting and much of Deuce's and Chucky's acting was laughable. There was no way that 2 low-IQ goons could do this heist but apparently, they did. I was very surprised/shocked that I watched it all the way through! Never mind, it could have been much worse, but a 2 rating is all that I felt it deserved. Sort of proves how poor the acting was if these goons did actually pull off the job with their 'buddies'!

I think IMDB/Amazon should also be able to filter out all of these fake ratings and reviews that are occurring. Several reviews, all on 14th June, a 9 or 10 rating, and written in the same format! Pretty pathetic if this can't be detected and just proves that fake reviews with high ratings is needed to help this rubbish film along. Just changed my rating from 3 to 2 by the way!
37 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very good
damocles12829 June 2019
Poor script, pacing, acting, just generally not a very good file. The only redeeming feature being the great soundtrack. I recommend that you watch it with your eyes closed.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thanksgiving came early.
bobbyrisigliano15 June 2019
This movie is a turkey. The Acting was cringe worthy except for Chazz and Don and the guy who said his name was Benjamin Benjamin. Doubt I'll watch again.
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Omg don't bother... like at all.
metalheadviper18 June 2019
My dad really wanted to see this, so we watched it together and words can't describe how bad this writing was. I found myself shaking my head most of the film instead of enjoying it. The worst use of Burt Young... like ever. Why even have him in the movie other than to say he was in the movie (for 6 seconds). Chazz is the man! I think he was more interested in being Raymond then being in this movie. For what little we saw of him, he's awesome. Rossi also isn't bad at all and a stand out among laughable acting. He needs to be in a real mob movie, not amateur hour. So much potential wasted and I'm super mad about it. Being from RI and hearing my dad tell stories, I was really excited to see this. Ugh, so sorry I wasted my time. Btw, my dad lived the news clips as it brought back memories for him but that was about it. He said a lot of this was " bad interpretation" rather than what REALLY happened.

Can Scorsese plllleeeaasssseee redo this???
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like A Cross Country Drive On Cruise Control....Y A W N......
PurpleCrayon201416 June 2019
With a runtime of 1h 39min, VAULT sure is a long movie. The film is filled with really uninteresting main and sub characters, the writing oh so bla·sé, with Chazz Palminteri, Don Johnson, William Forsythe and The Sopranos gang giving just enough to get their paycheck and go. The production of this film is really horrible. The most disappointing item of all-Samira Wiley getting typecasted as just another crack whore, with no redeeming quality to offer Vault at all. There was a lot of talent that could have been offered in this film-and all of it squandered by inexperienced writers, directors and producers.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a total waste of time, but a waste of a golden opportunity
carlos-pires18 June 2019
The underlying story is really great material to make an epic mafia movie. These guys botched it. The scriptwriting sucks. The direction is average at best. The acting, with the (expected) exceptions of Don Johnson and Chazz Parmenteri, is below average. Editing, sound mixing, makeup, and production design are also below average. For starters, at least some 20 minutes could be edited out, preventing some boredom and making for a much more exciting movie. Then there are all those small details that pull you away from suspension of disbelief: the terrible makeup to pretend hangovers and drug use actually makes actors look like quarterbacks with blackeye on; the over-the-top 70's fashion; the computer-printed signs on the supermarket window; the constant background music with a senseless baseline which doesn't match the mood of 90% of the scenes... it all comes through as somewhat amateurish. The last scene, though it is actually an expected plot turn, is actually very well directed. That's about it. In short, this is not a total waste of time, but a waste of a golden opportunity. I hope someone with talent can one day make a really great movie with this story.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No goodfellas
Headturner126 June 2019
I went into this not knowing this was based on a true story. I agree with the consensus. The writing and script were awful. A true story how hard is it?!? Now seeing Chaz in this I need to hurry and watch " Bronx Tale" to wash this performance out of my mind( not like he was awful) but not how I want to remember him. The best acting was from Lala Kent haha. I recognized her from VR. I usually love 70's based movies and they should of at least taken advantage with a good soundtrack. This just had a very cheesy low budget feel. I wasn't awful just badly shot , edited, written etc.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow and steady...
moorestahl24 June 2019
...I really wanted to like this movie. The trailer looked promising and the cast good but sadly it just didn't float well enough to sail. From the moment it started, every minute felt like an hour. I just wanted it to end. I stuck with it until the end and was so relieved it was finally over. The best role in the whole movie was Samira Denise Wiley, who was fantastic, other than that...it sank!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the "10's" Worst mob movie ever
nutekllc23 June 2019
It's really laughable to see the 10 ratings that are clearly friends and family being asked to rate the movie. Not many average moviegoers talk about the director, by name, hitting it out of the park.

This movie is bad guys, really bad. I'd say it was a "B" movie but I've seen some decent "B" movies so I'll say this is a "C" movie. Instead of being engulfed in the story and captivated, you find yourself shaking your head. Bad acting, WASTE of actual great acting talent and screenplay is high school play level. Vincent Pastore, Burt Young, Chaz Palminteri are all wasted in this movie. Chazz needed about 30 more min screen time and not the 5 he got. Vincent and Burt got about 10 seconds each. I don't normally hate on movies much but when it comes to mob movies, Do it right or please don't do it!!! People that are clamoring saying this is a mob movie done right, I hope you're on the payroll. The only and I mean only good part of this movie is the ending. 1) because that 20 second part was actually good and 2) this disaster was finally over, so there's that.

Oceans 11 this is not. No real "heist" here with an elaborate plan. Just "hey the cops show up at this time so let's rob it before they get here". Talk about lazy writing. So much potential with this movie and all wasted and I'm really mad about it. The premise of the movie, if done right, could have been a blockbuster. Instead is was just a buster

Save your time.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would not recommend
JohnFahta8717 June 2019
Phoned in performances, a meandering plot, and screenwriting that will make you scratch your head in bewilderment, Vault has it all. Leaning heavily on classic mafia movie tropes as a crutch, Vault limps along throughout its 1 hour 40 minute runtime, somehow finding a way to make "the biggest heist in American history" a total snooze fest.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was disappointed
mdemersi17 June 2019
I was actually waiting to see this. I love Chaz and this was an interesting topic. But man was I disappointed. The writing and acting was plain bad, other then Theo and Chaz who did their best. There's actually a scene where the two bank robbers "get caught" because the driver left. The two of them CLEARLY see the drivers door wide open and nobody in the car but they get in waiting for the phantom driver to start driving. It was meant for comedy but made them look ridiculously stupid. Movie then hops around, no real backbone to the actual heist that made it special and felt rushed. Almost like absolutely anyone that could hold up a 7/11 could pull this off. Chaz probably filmed his scenes in one day because he's in the movie for about 3 minutes. Lots of 9's and 10's from no doubt friends and family but the general public will no doubt agree... This was a mess
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NOT WORTH YOUR TIME
rriva-417-99371916 June 2019
I really wonder why someone bothered to make a film based on this true story. Absolutely no redeeming value...
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievable plotline - lacks true motives.
LindaBurdick6 July 2019
DeNucci tries his best to "fill in the holes" for his version and story of the Bonded Vault Heist. But, what is his fantasy, lends to unrealistic and hard to believe assumptions that do not logically pan out. The greatest example is this - Raymond Patriarca does not need to steal from himself, thus, the supposed "plot twist" of his confession to the theft to satisfy his own greed fails and pales in its own light: the character portrayals of these "real" individuals suffer. Due diligence in his research on this topic might have helped DeNucci create a real blockbuster. Dialogue was too "on the nose" and lacks subtext, as well, too much expositional writing and not enough "showing" of the personality and inner workings of each character, leans to very slow pacing and a disturbing reliance on cliché verbiage and presentation of this genre and era. There exists no theme in this movie - no Central Dramatic Question - no inciting incident - no plot points - no climax - no resolution - no arcs in character development. I would label this as an attempt for the genre of "documentary" rather than a "live action film". This would contribute to the account for low ratings, as the "hype" established in marketing and advertising, "The Largest Heist in History" expectations were not met; the audience wants to be highly entertained - not experience the common theme of strained in disbelief - ironically a rip off - where set ups, payouts, and payoffs are non-existent.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is Awful with a capital A..
helensr-845776 July 2019
All of that positive reviews are from family and friends that the director asked them to leave because he didn't like that real reviews saying the movie wasn't good. I saw that video on his Facebook page of him asking people to leave a good review. Bad writing, Bad acting, bad acting and more bad acting.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story but...
revoludayo21 June 2019
The story is good but the acting is poor. Its also lacking in directorial competence. Some film elements that gives a fictional work 'credibility' needed be added. Overall the story is a good one but not worth the time watching it!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Vault
burlesonjesse512 July 2019
Macho criminals who don't wear masks, don't think rationally, and don't get the controlled crime lingo, try to pull off the biggest heist in U.S. history ($30 million-plus kiddies). That's the blueprint for 2019's pseudo-stylish and hot-messed, Vault.

Vault, with its slight Scorsese influence, its Steven Soderbergh drawl, and its Providence, R.I. suture, is yet another crime drama that seems to disregard long-ago ingenuity. Part Black Mass, part Departed, part 2018's Gotti, part Kidnapping Mr. Heineken, part Goodfellas, and part Ocean's Eleven, Vault is the cinematic equivalent of a debased mutt who can't find his mommy.

Vault is based on true accounts, takes place mostly in Rhode Island, and is directed by a thirtysomething named Tom DeNucci (a Rhode Island native himself). DeNucci likes to show off with the camera a la triple split-screens, zooms, flashbacks, and the occasional freeze-frame.

What Tom's Vault lacks ultimately is flow, flux, or a sense of A to B. As you watch Vault, you say to yourself, "why should I care about these characters, what is their deal, and how the heck did they get here?" The monkey editing in Vault is slipshod, the Mob violence is pedestrian (it could be the budget), the end credits in Vault make you chuckle (because everything feels a little arbitrary), and the actors (Theo Rossi, Clive Standen) do what they can with a tough-talking, clunky script.

Known troupers like Don Johnson, William Forsythe, Burt Young, and Chazz Palminteri show up occasionally but they barely register. In truth, everyone in Vault comes off like parody versions of ruthless gangsters.

Despite a decent sense of time and place (the mid-70's), a clear-cut reference to Richard Nixon, an interrogation twist ending, and some retro commercials on the tele, this "vault" is still an unsavory "depository". Rating: 1 and a half stars.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely Worth Watching
unger6016 June 2019
Suspenseful. Keeps your interest. Entertaining. Denucci is getting better with each film.
10 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Authentic Mafia Movie!
malutka-5234415 June 2019
Vault is a good mafia movie with a twisted end. Theo Rossi and Clive Standen playing Deuce and Chucky in the story of the biggest safety deposit vault heists in US history makes this the must see Mafia movie of the summer. Beautifully shot, too!
12 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A long awaited mob story
ccofri17 June 2019
There is no one that doesn't appreciate a good mob story! The originality of this film was impeccable. The color, the music, the acting and writing was on point! I wanted so much MORE! Theo Rossi was amazing ... and Chaz P. depicted Raymond perfectly. I couldn't get enough of the scenes in RI and the twist at the end was nothing short than genius writing! Congratulations to all! Oh BTW... Don Johnson... was the perfect Frenchman! Way to go Tommy DeNucci & B Dolan. Music was on spot! Not loud not overpowering of movie! Just fantastic!
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
interesting historical big money heist made on low budget
ops-5253514 June 2019
Its a low budget, small cast, and very few extras on this filmproduction. its a classic take on the mafia money in new hampshire in 1975, and the start and the end of the movie gives some nice archive clips from the media made before and after the heist.

there are a cast that has been used , merely in small roles in big productions from the 80's till now, and considering their brand x they still do a fine job. the filmography tells a good story, but the screenplay could have been better made. its not like the oceans movies but an alright flick to see fro one night.

the grumpy old man liked the speed of happenings here, the humour are nice, and the films playtime are just perfect. i will recommend a look at this semi succesfull heist, were the majority of money still not accounted for
12 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame
italiacampioni20 June 2019
Don't waste your time with this "movie". It's very boring, poorly written and directed. I thought with the cast it would be a decent movie. Very disappointed.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Fault with the "Vault"
zardoz-1316 August 2019
"Almost Mercy" writer & director Tom DeNucci and co-scenarist B. Dalton bite off more than they can chew in "Vault," an ambitious but humdrum portrayal of a momentous robbery that also heralded the decline of La Cosa Nostra in America. Basically, "Vault" depicts a little known but spectacular $34 million robbery committed by two small-time hoods who never learned that crime doesn't pay. The infamous robbery took place on the morning of August 14, 1975, at the Hudson Fur Storage at 101 Cranston Street in Providence's West Side in Rhode Island. Not only did they pull off this once-in-a-lifetime robbery without casualties, but they also got clean away with more loot than you can ever imagine. Afterward, however, they discover that claiming their share of the loot would be an involved and drawn-out proposition. Up-and-coming thespians Theo Rossi and Clive Standen, who headline this low-budget crime saga, orchestrate the operation in this cliché riddled heist caper. Several familiar crime genre stalwarts, Chazz Palminteri, Don Johnson, William Forsythe, Burt Young, Andrew Divoff, and Victor Pastore, provide sturdy support in peripheral roles in this 99-minute, R-rated potboiler. DeNucci and company score brownie points galore for restoring the year 1975 with nothing egregious to burst the nostalgic bubble. Unfortunately, DeNucci isn't as gifted a maestro as Martin Scorsese, especially since his historic Mafia heist in "Goodfellas" (1990), co-starring Robert De Niro and Ray Liotta, shares certain similarities with "Vault." Despite its' commendable production values, "Vault" generates little excitement, resorts to hackneyed movie formulas, and ultimately tempts you to fast-forward the action to fadeout. Indeed, crime doesn't pay in "Vault," but the authorities have never able to prove in court without a shadow of a doubt who ordered the robbery. DeNucci and Dalton have their own take on the mystery man. The action boils down to criminals versus criminals. In fact, the police are seen only occasionally! At the same time, DeNucci chronicles the friendship between the two protagonists, Deuce (Theo Rossi of "Cloverfield") and Chucky (Clive Standen of "Patient Zero"), who met when they were fifteen. DeNucci delivers few surprises along the way, and the action is wholly derivative. The supreme irony of "Vault" is the Mafia may have been the culprits who made off with the $34 million. Crime buffs may tolerate it once but watching it more than once might be sleep inducing.

Tom DeNucci covers a lot of ground with little flair in this half-baked but historically exciting yarn. During the opening 30 minutes, DeNucci and Dalton introduce Deuce and Chucky, and their first scene together is reminiscent of a Tarantino conversation from one of his early films. Poised to rob a pawnshop, Deuce refuses to wear a mask. Futilely, Chucky argues with him about wearing a mask. Everybody will only remember the muzzle of his revolver, Deuce rants, rather than his facial features. Eventually, Chucky relents and then sheds his own mask. The two gunmen enter the store and brandish their weapons. All but one of the employees, Karyn (Samira Wiley of "Rob the Mob"), refuses to cooperate with Deuce's revolver staring her in the face. Deuce marvels at Karyn's defiance and finds himself attracted to this fearless African American dame. Oddly enough, despite her initial hostility, Karyn reciprocates Deuce's interest. Later, she accompanies Deuce home and samples his mother's cooking. Meanwhile, Deuce and Chucky get too big for their britches and try to rob two banks in the same day. Indeed, they might have gotten away with it, had Deuce not enlisted his younger brother, Tommy (Michael Zuccola of "Erebus"), as their getaway driver. As he listens to the police-band radio, Tommy loses his nerve and splits seconds before Deuce and Chucky dive into the backseat. The police surprise the pair, and they land in prison. A shady Frenchman, Gerry Quimette (Don Johnson of "Miami Vice") recruits them as bodyguards to protect him from the Mafia. Since he is French, Gerry cannot become a Made-Man, and Mafia chieftain Raymond Patriarca (Chazz Palminteri of "The Usual Suspects") isn't happy with Gerry's blasphemous request. Nevertheless, Raymond and Gerry have a complicated history of collaboration, and Gerry knows more about Mafia business than any non-Italian could and still rise for breakfast each day. After our protagonists are released from prison, Gerry contacts them about a heist at the Hudson Fur Company. He promises them each a $70-thousand payday. Initially, Deuce is leery about it, but Chucky persuades him to change his mind. They hire five accomplices to help them clean out about 146 safety deposit boxes in a huge commercial vault at a private warehouse. Nobody has ever dared to rob Hudson Furs, probably because everybody knew it was a Mafia safehouse.

DeNucci directs "Vault" as if it were a documentary. First, neither Deuce nor Chucky engage our sympathy. Low-life thieves that these characters are, the enigmatic actors portraying them struggle to give them any redeeming qualities. Little about Deuce and Chucky is likeable. Second, by the time these two give up the ghost, you'll find nothing amusing about their naïveté. Morally, DeNucci glorifies neither the crime nor the criminals. DeNucci stages the heist, but he doesn't generate a palatable sense of either dread or suspense. The actual robbery is more monotonous than nerve-racking. Our protagonists aren't even in the vault while their accomplices drill industriously into one safe deposit box after another, piling up heaps of currency on the floor. Meantime, Deuce and Chucky keep several Hudson Fur Storage employees at gunpoint. Indeed, "Vault" musters a surprise or two, and one is the reversal ending that surprises both of them. DeNucci helms the first two-thirds of "Vault" with efficiency rather than finesse, while the final third, where Deuce and Karyn reunite, spirals into boredom. At this point, you'd think these guys would have realized they would get their share of the lead instead of the loot. Despite the unique significance of its historical background, "Vault" qualifies as routine at best and uninspiring at worst.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun watch with great historical footage
rorybsmith17 June 2019
Starts off with very interesting historical footage of Patriarca and Rhode Island in the 70s that is worth a watch in and of itself. A good mix of action, comedy and drama with a shot of a beautiful female booty along the way. Don Johnson crushes it. Chuck Zito makes a few cameos and Chazz Palminteri plays a great Patriarca. Def worth a watch.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A long time coming
robertone-1378517 June 2019
Vault is a movie more enjoyed with prior knowledge. I enjoyed the cast Theo Rossi, John Forsythe, Don Johnson, Chaz Palmanteiri. it was simply incredible how this group of men, all buddies, pulled off such a magnificent score and how Dessault ( Theo's character) was a great lead. Too bad he became a stool pigeon at the end. I intend to watch again.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.