Glass (2019) Poster

(2019)

Beautifully weird
breneff11 January 2019
Let me start by saying the critics are just flat out WRONG with this one. And this is coming from a guy who has only enjoyed about half of this guys movies. If you are going in their to watch a superhero movie check yourself at the door. This is a dark twisted psychological horror with a chaotic like thread that reminds you of noir films of the past. It's like a Picasso painting in movie form. The ending is divisive and risky, which I love! It's not for everybody, but I think that's why I loved this movie.
438 out of 550 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give James McAvoy every acting award of 2019
Chiller718 January 2019
This is a thinking person's movie. It's largely dialogue heavy and not afraid to take its time. It's a movie that takes itself seriously. It's the kind of smart movie that confuses critics who prefer light easy-to-digest popcorn entertainment. When it shifts into full thriller or action mode, brace yourself, because it gets totally intense.

Director Shyamalan doesn't get much respect from the critics, but screw the critics, he did brilliantly here from writing to directing.

And James McAvoy deserves every acting award for 2019. Might as well just give him all of them now, best actor, best actress, best child actor, etc., all of them, because no one's topping this performance.

And about the action, I saw director Shyamalan talking in an interview about how he's mainly interested in drama and that action is not his strong point, but he was really downplaying his handling of the action, because the fight scenes here are legitimately awesome. Glass thankfully features none of the shaky rapid-editing style that plagues so many other action movies. It is all well shot, so you'll have no trouble following the action. We even see lots of unusually artistic camera shots during the action, such as showing long close up shots of people's faces while they're in the middle of fighting. My favorite was a long held shot from the point of view of being inside a van while we're seeing a fight happening outside, as the combatants are circling around and slamming into the van. That was just plain cool, the kind of shot that's just mind-boggling to think about how they managed to pull it off.

And don't trust the rotten critics. Just don't. They're so worthless, those critics. They're wrong about almost every movie these days. Glass just continues the critics' rotten streak of being totally out of touch with what's really good or bad.
150 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated by the Critics, but Too Talky & a Little Bit Messy
Yee_Reviews17 January 2019
Good: The acting across the board from the main cast: James McAvoy, Samuel L. Jackson, and Bruce Willis are great. However, like in "Split" McAvoy is definitely the standout portraying so many personalities one after the other is fascinating to watch. Although the setup is great and intriguing, it feels glossed over to get to the main plot. Shyamalan's direction with camera angles and shots also standout and help capture the scenes along with the color scheme as seen in the other movies. I appreciate the overall theme of the movie and the message Shymalan is trying to tell, but suffers in the end and pacing...

Bad: As a film that started off with "Unbreakable" and supposed to be the long awaited sequel to it, Bruce Willis' character does not have much depth and is more on the sidelines. There is a lot of talking and some parts definitely drag making the film feel longer than it actually is, however even with this not much seems to develop and happen.

Overall: The film is getting bashed way too hard by the critics, but overrated by the audience. The film's tone is more like "Unbreakable" than "Split" with more talking and a few action scenes here and there.

3.5/5
109 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you liked Unbrakable and Split, you will enjoy this one too
arabnikita16 January 2019
This is not a superhero movie or an action packed sci-fi flick, this is a psychological thriller with people having supernatural abilities...or do they really have these abilities and are they really supernatural?? Just like in Unbreakable and Split, you will have your doubts and theories but in the end it all ends up going in another direction and then another one.

M. Night Shyamalan tries his best to keep the movie closer to real life than to fiction by essentially eliminating special effects or any kind of CGI. Keeping a steady pace from the opening scenes until the credits, he fills the movie with clever dialogues that bridge the gap between the three movies and adds gritty action to keep the audience engaged. Overall, this fuses into a picture with a 2000s Old School feel about it that cant be seen in too many movies nowadays.

James McAvoy is absolutely incredible in his transitioning between different personalities which happens a lot more than in Split. Sarah Paulson brings a new character and Sam Jackson with Bruce step right back into their old shoes. Cinematography is solid with an effective use of colors and in the music department Shyamalan took a page out of Nolan's last movie. M. Night is a 50/50 director and this movie lands on the good side with a couple of twists at the end that make you wonder if this is the end or just the beginning.

Watch both Unbreakable and Split and if you enjoy them then go for this one. The movie wont make sense if you dont see the previous two.

movies.shmovies on instagram
96 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Im Angry!.. With the critics
balthier0316 January 2019
This is the first time that i posted a review in a while, its just because I'm so angry with the critics, I cant stand them to bringing down Shyamalan like this, giving the film a bad word of mouth. This completes his comeback, Critics are crazy giving this even 5/10. I get that the twist won't appeal to some. but for me its a very smart and realistic way to end the series, very grounded ending.

Loved Bruce's David Dunn as always. but Mcavoy Just wow! what a performance, he stole the movie with his performance, the only thing I can say bad about this film is the second act might be dragging or slow but it works (just like unbreakable). then it Explodes on the final act. One of the best trilogy in my list.

'm angry with the criitcs but i liked that cuz of them I went with low expectations then i went out of the cinema thinkin are the critics crazy? Loved the ending very satisfied with the ending.

Go watch if for yourself and decide. II'll give you guys a fact about this film, THE CRITICS ARE F*ing WRONG!!!

10/10 FOR ME!

Welcome back Shyamalan!
186 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep an open mind - and prepare for it to be blown away!
saarvardi15 January 2019
Wow, Glass actually got me writing a review after many years of absence. So I'll try and keep it short - this movie is most logical and beautiful continuation of the characters and stories we first met in Unbreakable and Split. James McAvoy is a true act of nature, as is Samuel Jackson, and I really loved the fact that Spencer Treat Clark reprised his role as Wilis's son Joseph, 19 years after first portraying him as a kid. It just adds that much authenticity to the story.

The twsts hit hard and fast during the third act, and knowing Shyamalan you'll try to work things out as the movie progresses - only to find out you got duped by the Twist Master. However, unlike some of his previous signature twists, these one actually serve the plot and the characters, so when the credits roll it all just makes perfect sense and leaves you smiling and feeling content.
138 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics got it wrong
bellalikespink13 January 2019
This movie exceeded my expectations! It was visually stunning, entertaining, and the storyline was incredible! I could not have predicted the ending, I was so surprised!! Totally recommend.
238 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the Avengers
pastoradam18 January 2019
Ok, my wife and I just got back from opening night of Glass. We talked about the movie from the end of the movie all the way back home. WOW!!!! We had a lot to talk about. As my title reads this is not an Avengers movie. Do not expect non-stop action. Expect action, story, details, dialogue, emotion, more story, and then some more action. This is a great movie to start off 2019 and James McAvoy deserves an Oscar. Like any M. Night movie you will either love it or hate it. My wife and I LOVED IT!!!!
119 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece on the inner nature of people
unbreakable197612 January 2019
Glass is truly a cinematic jewel, which closes the delicate and complex analysis begun by the two previous films.A journey to discover the inner strength (or weakness) that each of us has as a human being.Shyamalan directs this film, interpreted in an excellent way by all the protagonists, without smearing and will surely disappoint all those people who will go to the cinema with the hope of seeing a cinecomics or an action movie.Glass tackles the mystery of souls and does so in an intelligent and almost delicate way. A truly excellent product, Cinema for high and sensitive minds. Show to reflect on our existence using archetypes and almost alchemical references. Suffice it to think of the continuous and stressed reference to number 3 or the events of the Ulysses of the Odyssey of which the film is full of quotations from the attentive spectator.Bravo, Shyamalan. Thank you so much for this wonderful spiritual journey veered only apparently in the world of comics. Standing Ovation.
224 out of 322 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Left me feeling half empty
cricketbat18 January 2019
I was completely onboard with Glass for most of the movie, but then it decided to go off the rails. I was invested in the characters and was willing to overlook the clunky exposition and monologuing-until the finale. I feel like M. Night Shyamalan was so determined to surprise the audience that he forgot how to satisfactorily finish a story. To be honest, Glass left me feeling half empty about the whole trilogy.
82 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1/2 Of It Was Good But Mostly Disappointing
MadMax271018 January 2019
This movie concludes a 19 year trilogy in a mediocre way. There's some good and a lot of bad. Great performances from the cast especially McAvoy carry this movie and make it watchable. Some scenes required him to switch from multiple personalities within seconds of each other. The action is also exciting when it is happening. The camera work is something that is spectacular to look at. The POV shots are immersive and there are some creative uses of color throughout. The first half was interesting and engaging which was good but then you get to the rest of the film.

The second half makes this movie end with a sense of betrayal as the entire buildup of the last 2 movies and the first half are ruined. The ending wastes a lot of potential that these movies have set up and trades it in for a conventional message to the viewers. Some of the scenes are laughable but not in the right way.

Overall, this movie was ok. It had some great moments but the ending ruins it. The movie has some nice references to the people who have seen unbreakable and split sprinkled in there. One of the twists is pretty good while the other just doesn't work.
59 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it until the end
sobelman-3840610 January 2019
This is coming from someone who has been looking forward to this movie for a long time. I thought the acting was fantastic, especially James McAvoy who plays all the personalities fantastically. Bruce Willis doesn't phone it in and actually does a good job. If you're expecting a superhero movie, you're not going to get one. This is most definitely and physcological thriller that happens to have superheroes. This film is filled with incredible memorable moments that you'll certainly remember walking out of the movie. However, the end will turn a lot of people off, as it goes in directions that are very divisive. If you go in with an open mind, I think you'll enjoy most of it.
91 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GLASS ROCKS
erictrigg9715 January 2019
The ultimate trilogy is here. Shyamalan has closed the Eastrail 177 trilogy in an unexpected but tragic way. Don't listen to the critics
60 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
well that was interesting
trollerbrendan12 January 2019
Hmmm. Left not knowing whether I liked it or not but when I REALLY thought about I can say I did. Acting was good (even from Willis) and the last 3rd had an iconic Shyamalan sprinkle of genius. Would give it 8.2/10. If you liked the first 2 movies of this trilogy chances are you can enjoy this one.
85 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Movie
This was an amazing offering. Another movie the critics seem to have reviewed without bothering to even watch, I think. I really liked the first two in this series, but Glass is just a step above. The story, the message, the characters, for me this was as close to perfect as a movie can be. As written by others here, this isn't a standard cookie cutter super hero movie. Thankfully. We have enough of them, and they're starting to get a bit stale.

This trilogy is a modern cult classic. I do, very much, hope that this universe is explored in future offerings, and I also hope that we can get some new critics who actually take the time to watch the movies they are paid to review.
64 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As the conclusion to this original superhero trilogy, Glass feels unfinished and empty.
LloydBayer18 January 2019
As with most of his films, Writer-Director M. Knight Shyamalan's widely appreciated trait is to pull the rug under our feet during the film's closing minute. Which is why we all thought Split was a psychological horror film until the last minute, where that final unbroken shot sweeps across a diner until it stops over Bruce Willis' David Dunn. That's when we realised we were watching the sequel to one of Shyamalan's best films - Unbreakable. When Spilt revealed that it existed in the same universe as Unbreakable, it instantly positioned those films as two-thirds of a trilogy. And almost immediately after, Shyamalan revealed that Glass would be the finale to an idea gestating for nearly 20 years. That itself sounds like a labour of love for Shyamalan who not only embraces but also defies popular comic book logic.

Picking up roughly a few weeks after the climactic events in the previous film, Glass has Willis' vigilante David Dunn, James McAvoy's deeply disturbed serial killer Kevin Crumb, and Samuel L Jackson's titular criminal mastermind assemble for a face to face showdown for the first time. You just have to wait for nearly the entire length of the film for that to happen. To get there, Shyamalan takes us through a long and elaborate setup where he's showing us one thing but secretly doing something else; His preferred modus operandi maybe, but this time employing the illusion of delusion. Which is where Sarah Paulson joins the story as a psychiatrist whose speciality is in debunking people deluded into thinking they are superhuman. Read that again. In other words, there may have been others who think they are superheroes. This is the single most commendable idea in the entirety of this trilogy. It simply means that unlike popular characters from the Marvel and DC comics, Shyamalan's superheroes are not from another planet, or a result of lab experiments gone wrong. It's an idea that has immense potential, not only for this film but also for any indie filmmaker who wants to tell a superhero story in the future. Shyamalan got this right, but only in theory.

The execution is a different story, and why Glass is a shattered mess. As much as Dunn, Crumb and Mr. Glass are fleshed out characters on their own, they are strangely incompatible together. It's as if Shyamalan has invested so much attention on their individual character development that he has overlooked the whole purpose of what they were meant to become. Instead, a lot of time is spent reintroducing the same characters again. That's an unforgivable mistake for the final episode in a trilogy. The passage of time is also another questionable flaw. Dunn is seen in his rain poncho from 19 years ago and he is helped by his son Joseph track down petty street criminals. If not for a fully grown Spencer Clark Treat as Joseph, you would think nothing has changed since the first film. On the other hand, McAvoy was praised for his outstanding versatility in Split. Shyamalan knows that and so gives us a triple dose of McAvoy cycling between Hedwig, Kevin, Barry, Dennis, Patricia and even more of growling and wall crawling from The Beast. The air of mystery and terror turns to repetition, which feels like a stall for time and a full hour before Jackson's catatonic Mr. Glass has anything to say. Have you ever seen a film where the notoriously verbose Samuel L Jackson does nothing but blink?

In time everything falls to pieces. The biggest problem with this film isn't how disjointed the narrative is, or the unnecessary recap of the previous two films at laborious pacing, or even the complicated attempt at another twist ending. The problem is that despite nearly 20 years in the making, Glass feels unfinished and empty. Akin to the concept in the film, it's like finding a solid gold bar and then throwing it out through a window.
46 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rating: B+
msbreviews17 January 2019
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free reviews, please follow my blog :)

The first act is seamless. I love how David is introduced 19 years later and how his life is now. Kevin continues to abduct impure teenage girls, and after a few minutes in, we get the first confrontation between our hero and villain. I wasn't expecting an action-heavy film, and I'm glad it isn't because it would ruin the tone of the other movies. This was never intended to be a massive finale with epic CGI fights, like a Marvel or DC installment. If you're one of those people who expected Glass to be an Infinity War-ish film, I don't even know why are you reading this because you have no idea what this trilogy is about.

Sarah Paulson portrays Dr. Ellie Staple, and she is responsible for treating people who think they are superheroes. So, the second act revolves around a fascinatingly engaging yet overlong narrative which leaves the main characters (and the audience) doubting if everything they did was a product of their supposedly damaged minds. There is so much to love and hate throughout this act. The interactions between these characters are as captivating as they could be, and I couldn't take my eyes off screen. Then, there's James McAvoy ... I have no words to describe how astonishing his performance is. Portraying one character is hard. Portraying almost 20 characters is just outrageous! However, McAvoy nails each personality delivering himself to his roles in such an unbelievable way. Sometimes I chuckled because I couldn't understand how it was possible an actor being able to do what he did, several times, in one-take sequences.

Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson return to portray David and Mr. Glass, respectively. The former is solid, and the respect he has for his character is evident. However, David is sort of left aside in this movie, but I'll get there. SLJ, even with less screentime than the other two, has more to do, regarding moving the plot forward. He gives an extraordinary performance, as expected from such a capable actor. During this act, these four characters offer a lot of memorable scenes, but the narrative is filled with exposition, and it overextends its stay. Shyamalan wanted to show everyone that he knows what he is writing about and a lot of times he used his characters to explicitly say, well, everything the audience needed to know, without any need to.

The third act is where everyone is going to either love or hate the film. In this genre, we all know that the "middle ground" is non-existent. Either you're part of the group who loves it and you will defend it at all costs, or you're part of the group who hates everything about it just due to its final moments. There is more than one Shyamalan twist during this final act. Truth is, I left a bit disappointed. It doesn't matter what your expectations are, it doesn't matter your preferences, at least one of the twists is always going to upset you. What disappoints me the most is that I don't really love any of them. Unbreakable has a final plot twist that completely changes its whole story, and it comes out of nowhere. It's literally mind-blowing! Split has the 17-year twist of it being part of the former's universe, which made several audiences in festivals give it a stand ovation. Glass has ... a bunch of twists. Period. There are no OH-MY-GOD-like reactions. There are no jaws dropped.

Instead, we are left with an arguably questionable decision. A couple of the twists are fine. I would even call them "good twists". However, the one that changes everything feels incredibly forced and most of all, it falls short for such a highly-anticipated trilogy's last installment. I can't help but wonder "is this really the best path you could have chosen Shyamalan? Of all the endings you imagined, this is the one you think is the best to finish a 19-year-in-the-making superhero trilogy?" Regarding the screenplay and the characters, I have the issue above and one associated with David Dunn. If Split didn't have that final twist, it would be a good thriller. Way above average, but not astounding. The link to Unbreakable's universe is what makes it a standout movie of 2017. So, I was expecting a lot of David, and I only got a small fraction of him.

I'll put this way:
  • if you're expecting an Unbreakable sequel, you'll probably leave disappointed;
  • if you're expecting Split 2, you'll love McAvoy's take on almost 20 distinct personalities, and that alone is worth the price of admission;
  • if you're expecting a formulaic superhero epic finale, filled with massive CGI fights and tremendous visual effects, all wrapped around colossal set pieces, then you are not worthy of even watching Glass, because this means you don't have a clue what this trilogy is about.

This is NOT a conventional comic-book trilogy. If you don't know this by now and you're still waiting for that last climax, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment, when no one asked you to anticipate such unrealistic stuff. Never criticize a film for not selling you something it was never even marketed to do (it's like expecting a horror movie to have a romantic happy ending). That said, I left disappointed with its conclusion, but there's still so much to love and praise. Seeing how David accepted who he was and the life journey he took, experiencing Kevin's pain and how each personality was born, understanding what Elijah's purpose is and being blown away by his mastermind plans ... These are characters so well-developed and so well-established that I can forgive some missteps here and there.

Before diving into the technical aspects, Anya Taylor-Joy, Spencer Treat Clark (Joseph Dunn) and Charlayne Woodard (Elijah's mother) deserve appreciation for their performances, even if they don't have that much impact in the overall story. Anya has more to do as Casey since her character's bond with Kevin is an explored subplot. Regarding the last two, they only serve as exposition devices which connects to one of my problems with the second act, by not helping the plot move forward in the smoothest way possible.

Concerning M. Night Shyamalan filmmaking skills, I barely have anything negative to say. The only minor issue I have is the excessive use of POV in the action scenes (a camera attached to the actor's body which provides a close-up of his face while fighting). Nevertheless, this film is yet another proof of how skillful this guy is behind the camera. There are so many memorable moments where the technique at display is worthy of awards. We will have to wait a few months to find such marvelous cinematography as in this film. Shyamalan and Mike Gioulakis (DP, director of photography) use our characters' respective colors (yellow for Kevin, green for David and purple for Mr. Glass) as the background palette of each scene in glorious fashion. The gradual change in color tells the audience so much about what our characters are going through, elevating one of the best dialogue sequences in the entire movie (the pink room).

The editing is sublime, and I love how Shyamalan uses close-ups to show how remarkable his cast is. McAvoy's performance is one of the best this year is going to give us, but part of it is even better due to the camera work. The unfocused background stunt work in a character's close-up is the art of filmmaking at his very best, and Shyamalan knows how to film it beautifully. The score is not as memorable as Unbreakable's, but the sound design is on point. Even with a low budget (compared to the other superhero movies), Shyamalan is able to produce a technical showdown of all his attributes as a sensational filmmaker. And this, my fellow readers, I will defend until the end of his career.

All in all, Glass doesn't live up to my extremely high expectations, but it does more than enough for me to enjoy it. I can't help but feel disappointed with the way everything ends and the path that Shyamalan chose, but there's still so much to love. James McAvoy offers you a performance worthy of any price of admission. Watching him portray over 15 characters is something you won't experience maybe ever again. Going through the layers of suspense, disbelief and mystery that the screenplay is structured by is itself an adventure filled with twists and turns which grabbed my attention until the very end.

An almost flawless first act delves into an overextended second act where the story lacks consistency and even logic, at times. However, the performances and the main thread of the film keeps everyone enthralled until the polarizing third and final act, where the significant plot twists occur. How can a movie be so fascinating and frustrating at the same time? Shyamalan, ladies and gentlemen. This masterful filmmaker lends all his skills to the film, and technically it's close to perfection. Disappointing? Yes. Frustrating? Yes. Does it ruin the franchise? No, not even close. This isn't The Matrix Revolutions, but it's not Return of the King, as well. It's a good ending to a superhero trilogy that might not be the best of all-time, but it's up there, and it's definitely unique, imaginative and the closest to what our real world would be like if superheroes were a real thing.

If you're a comic-book fan, this trilogy is mandatory. If you love Marvel or DC, don't you dare use the word "grounded" without watching this saga first. Shyamalan, see you around!
42 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best superhero sequel ever made
veryhotvindaloo15 January 2019
Great, ignore the haters. This was a realistic way to end the saga.
77 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh, disappointing as I expected more, much more.
TheTopDawg16 January 2019
Not sure what's worse, this film or the fake 9-10/10 reviews.

Not what I expected - in a disappointing way. Then add all the ridiculous praising 10/10 reviews and it takes more away from any positive aspects this film had.

For starters, outstanding performance as usual by James McAvoy, and he perfectly brought back his Split characters. Samuel L. Jackson was great as always and even Bruce Willis actually showed interest in performing for this film.

My issue was that the writing was all over the place and the 129 min length felt like 180 mins. Maybe it was the pacing, or more needed to be edited/cut to shorten this film to a more acceptable 100-110 length. The directing was decent but nothing spectacular.

I expected more but sadly was disappointed. It's not a flop, nor is it a 10/10 like all these fake reviews. It's a well deserved 6/10. Would I recommend it? Sure if you're a fan of Unbreakable, Split and its characters. Would I see it again? Nope.
106 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best trilogy endings EVER.
nikosdoc9517 January 2019
Enterimg glass and after seeing the mixed at best reviews i was trully worried but what i saw and what this movie gave us is just the opposite of what the critics are saying the movie had soul and passion m night outdid himself this time it was a character driven movie not falling in the superhero term it was a character movie with superpowers all the cast did an amazing job , i got teary eyed by the end. Amazing movie. Gongrats M night and cast.
40 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glass non-spoiler review
Darksidecrew17 January 2019
Ninteen years ago M. Night Shyamalan made a film called 75 million dollar film Unbreakable when he was hot off the heels of a world wide sensation with The Sixth Sense. The film film did okay money wise (248 million) and with critics but did not generate the excitement of his prior hit but has since garnered a very strong following despite talk of it becoming a trilogy having long gone silent. Fast forward to 2016, Shyamalan after a string of high profile, higher budget flops is now making smaller budget films and gets himself a big hit with the 9 million dollar film Split that goes on to make over 278 million. Not only that, the final post climax scene ties it to the Unbreakable universe, setting up the highly anticipated Glass that will serve to cap the trilogy as a sequel to both Unbreakable and Split.

I am happy to report that despite the massive success of Split that Glass is a low budget film made for just 20 million dollars with a great deal of that presumably going to the larger cast. This film brings together characters from Unbreakable (Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Spencer Treat Clark and others) and Split (James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy) with a bevy of new characters. The feeling of comic book mythology that was expertly woven into Unbreakable is back here in spades and this definitely feels more the tone of that film. I won't go into specifics but the story elements of the first half hour feels what someone would typically make as the entire third film in this trilogy but Shyamalan wisely goes into some different territory and we get some great scenes with the characters in a slower paced middle section of the film. Unfortunately not every character really gets to shine here as is common with many team up films each person only has a limited time which makes this film unlike both prior entries really only viewing for people who have seen the others, definitely not a stand alone tale.

They make the most of the limited budget and as is often the case with good film makers, it makes them more creative. It is a nice looking film and well made but I think the abundance of POV shots could have been tempered back a a little. The performances from the many characters were all great but as expected James McAvoy steals the show taking on his role from Split again as the man with 23 different personalities (of which he plays 20 here). There were a few things along the way that seemed like lazy or silly scripting that did get a new light once the final twist was revealed. Speaking of twists, there is more than one and he may have overdone it. I imagine the ending will not be for everyone but I enjoyed the film from start to finish, there was a possibility for a while that it would have made the Kill Bill Vol.2 error of promising a big showdown and not delivering but the route they went in the end worked much better. In the end I am happy with this film despite preferring the previous two entries and it has become quite the trilogy.. one that I will revisit.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a mess
rayan22-186-74511917 January 2019
Seems to be hit or miss with Shamalayan. This one was a miss, the movie had incredible potential. But it became a mess. James macavoy acting was superb tho
55 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
(Almost) a satisfying ending to a great trilogy.
averresen17 January 2019
If you haven't watched it yet:

I enjoyed watching this movie. The viewing experience itself was great, although thinking about the movie in retrospect uncovered some minor grievances.

I would recommend (re)watching 'Unbreakable' and 'Split' first due to the amount of callbacks, references... for an improved viewing experience (and they're good movies). If you like those movies, then this is a recommended watch, as it takes some of the best elements of both movies.

-- What I think about the movie?

The biggest highlight of this movie is definitely the acting performances of the main characters, especially James McAvoy. A satisfying bridge is made with the other movies, and the plot is solid at a high level.

However, the movie starts to show some cracks in its overall execution during the second act, and starts to really break down in the third act. The epilogue left a rather bitter aftertaste when leaving the theater. The outstanding actor performances kept the movie entertaining, but I feel like the director really dropped the ball towards the end of the movie.

A minor personal gripe was the inconsistency when it comes to on-screen violence. One moment they put it in your face, but most of the time, they completely avoid it, even though I have the feeling that it definitely would have benefited from it if it was done in a tasteful way. At no point was it as visceral as I wanted it to be.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dissapointing
Doeh19 January 2019
Glass starts pretty damn good and hooks you in very early on. The first act has some fantastic action sequences, and for fans of Unbreakable, you'll love the nostalgic feeling you get.

Sadly, it's all downhill from there. Elijah and David barely have any talking time with each other, which was weird when considering the history the two of them have together. Speaking of Elijah, he is severely underused during the first act and some of the second act.

The third act is one big dumpster fire. There were so many ways you could take the final thirty minutes, and it's like M. Night Shyamalan purposefully chose the worst one to piss off the audience. Oh, and the ending? One of the most unsatisfying and frustrating endings ever.

Regarding the acting, James McAvoy gives a stupidly good performance. Seriously, it's some of the best I've seen, and without his return, this movie would be a complete piece of garbage. Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson are solid in their respective roles for the content that was given to them.

I'm a massive fan of Unbreakable and enjoyed Split, so as a fan of the two films, I hate the fact that this is one of the most disappointing movies I've seen. It's not horrible, but it it's not what fans deserved.

Glass gets a 5/10
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't wait to watch AGAIN!
aviston-harris15 January 2019
Man this movie was fantastic. Went to see this during a screening that included all three films,etcetera. I really enjoyed glass, i love how the previous films were included in the final film.. Great job.. go see it!
36 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.