Glass (2019) Poster

(2019)

2,050 Reviews
Works, generally
Leofwine_draca1 January 2020
GLASS is an unusual beast, a sequel to two separate movies: UNBREAKABLE and SPLIT. I love the former movie and enjoyed the latter, despite thinking it a bit gimmicky; this film ties together both plots into a largely satisfying whole while at the same time building on the shared universe's superhero mythos. This is one of the director's better movies of recent years, although it's still not perfect: it goes on a bit too long, and the double-twist ending made me think "so what?" rather than being genuinely impressed by it all. However, the performances are all strong - Willis dependable, Jackson understated for a change, McAvoy a showstopper - and the quiet, non-showy direction works a treat.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the journey of our characters
SnoopyStyle2 May 2019
David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is now a vigilante working closely with his son. They are investigating a series of missing young women. Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy) has unleashed the Beast upon his victims and is holding four cheerleaders prisoners. David battles Kevin but they are interrupted by the police and Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) who uses strobe lights to control Kevin. She holds them in her institute along with Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson). Her goal is to convince them that their superpowers are nothing more than delusions. Price's mother (Charlayne Woodard), Dunn's son (Spencer Treat Clark), and Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy) try to intervene.

M. Night Shyamalan delivers his superhero trilogy. I have issues with the story structure of Unbreakable. I like Split better. This one falls somewhere in the middle. From the start, I assumed that Staple to be the new super human. I never bought into her explanations or the world in general. Something is obviously off. The legality of the situation seems problematic. David should get a better lawyer or even any lawyer. When the reveal happens, none of it surprises me. The story needs a reality check. I really like the initial battle at the beginning. The institution doesn't have the needed tension. The audience isn't given the story elements to believe that it's all a delusion. What works are the characters. They are compelling characters built up over two movies. We are invested in them. We are interested in their journey. It's a compelling watch all the way to the end because of them. They make this movie work.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The signs are there
Prismark104 April 2019
You can get a sequel to one film. Glass is a sequel to two different movies that span several decades and different production companies. Split (2016) and Unbreakable (2000).

David Dunn (Bruce Willis) is the vigilante who plans to catch Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy) the man with multiple personalities including the Beast, who has abducted four cheerleaders. After a showdown both get captured and sent to Raven Hill Memorial hospital which has been adapted to keep them both locked in their rooms.

Also inside the hospital is Mr Glass (Samuel L Jackson) almost comatose filled with drugs and confined to his wheelchair because of his brittle bones. The man who killed hundreds to prove a theory that some people had extraordinary powers. The kind of powers you find in comic books.

Dr Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) has been sent in to show these three people that they are normal people, their abnormal frontal lobes making them think they have superpowers.

M. Night Shyamalan after his initial success with movies like The Sixth Sense and later flops such as The Happening. He went back to basics and re-invented himself through low budget independent horror/thrillers. It culminated in the critically acclaimed Split.

In Glass, Shyamalan pits Dunn against the Beast but it is also a tease. The film is called Glass. Watching and waiting is Elijah Price/Mr Glass. He has woven a web, his body is weak but his mind is sharp. That is his superpower. His past actions has led to the present and he envisages a comic strip superbattle.

Shyamalan has made the movie he wanted to make. The pace is deliberate, it alludes to comic book conventions but without taking the Marvel Films route. I thought it was wonderful even if the movie had faults.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting concept but lacking in heft and impact
bob the moo22 September 2019
If Split had been a better film, and M. Night Shyamalan had been in his prime, then maybe Glass would have excited me more. As it was I came to it with interest and hope, but with an acceptance of its weaknesses before it even really started. In terms of concept, it is a decent shot at something interesting. The bringing together of the superhero creationist idea, and the characters we already know from previous films, combined with the idea of it being a closure of a trilogy, so should be good. I liked that it played it small, and kept it focused on the three of them but linked to more.

Problem is that, like Split, so much of it lacks spark and feels a little flat. It runs to over two hours and it feels longer thanks to a pace and tone that works to deaden the film when it needed to be ratcheting up tension and urgency. This is the case throughout the film, even in the final 30 minutes, when some elements should have had loads of impact, it feels very matter of fact in what it does. Due to this, the ending also feels like a shrug of a conclusion. It is a shame, because I really liked Unbreakable, but I'm put off from returning to it on the back of these two, just because it probably wasn't as good as I remembered. Timing may have helped it then too, because superhero films were not as big, and certainly not as interesting as they have been in the last decade, and although interesting, this doesn't deliver its ideas in a way that has energy and engages - they are just 'presented'.

The cast have big names but they cannot do much to lift it. Jackson and McAvoy have energy when they are asked to - they just don't have the material around them to make the most of them. Willis is poor, but this unfortunately seems to be the new norm - he seems bored and/or financially obligated with most things he does of late. As a whole production it had potential, and the resources are certainly there, but the writing fails it and it is, in the end, a disappointment which promises without delivery.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're not one of those Hello Kitty pervs?
nogodnomasters2 February 2019
Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) works at the Raven Hill Sanitarium in Philadelphia. She studies patients who believe they have superpowers and tries to convince them they are normal. Her three patients include David Dunn (Bruce Willis) who is a vigilante. Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson) is confined to a wheelchair and has a brittle bone ailment. His superpower is his mind. Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy) has multiple personalities, one of which is "The Beast."

Comic books are the real history books. The film was an interesting twist on mutants or X-Men. Unfortunately, there was too much non-action in the asylum and Samuel L. Jackson doesn't make an appearance until 40 minutes into the feature and doesn't speak much. Anyone else notice this is a sequel to "Split?"

Guide: No f-words, sex, or nudity.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finish line
kosmasp6 June 2019
When Unbreakable came out - I don't think anyone could have imagined where that movie would lead us. I remember that I did like it, but I have to rewatch it to really write a review. But Split was not released that long ago and remembering that character and also the cameo Bruce Willis had in the end of that movie (or after the credits if you will) kind of makes up for that. I do think that it makes sense having certain things fresh in mind, but an overall understanding is enough I reckon.

I have to admit this went quite differently than I thought. The addition of Sarah Paulson might annoy some (her character that is, Sarah herself seems like a great and funny person), but is necessary for the story. When it comes to the ending (and you should expect this to twist again - sort of), the scope is big, the overall sensation is missing though. It felt a bit underwhelming for what it actually is suggesting. So this is really good and it ties up neatly .... but where is the emotion? I do think that might be an issue for some. Still curious to go back and revisit Unbreakable
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics once again, know nothing!
Sleepin_Dragon30 January 2019
If you believed everything that was written by critics, your movie viewing options would be high limited. I'm my opinion they got Glass badly wrong, what's slated for being dull and flawed is actually a terrific movie. It had be captivated, I loved Split, and it literally felt like I was returning to the cinema to watch events directly after that great movie.

I thought the film had a very grounded feel, never did it go utterly bonkers, or dip and lose my attention. I thought the way they concluded it was fantastic, opting for a showdown that wasn't the typical superhero style, displayed on top of the new huge building, if anything they underplayed it.

Fantastic direction, sound, action etc, but as with Split, it was the phenomenal performance of James McAvoy that had me hooked, once again he switched from character to character with ease, even his demeanor and facial expressions told you which persona he was in before speaking, quite extraordinary.

Enough tension, enough action, and more then enough story to keep you totally entertained.

Exceeded my expectations. 9/10
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"If super-heroes exist, why are there only three of you?"
classicsoncall11 June 2019
Having seen all three films in the Shyamalan trilogy, I'm still not going along with the premise that the story was about people possessing comic book, super-hero abilities. Extraordinary physical and psychic abilities, yes, but not enough to qualify them for The Avengers or The Justice League. The closest any of the characters comes is David Dunn's (Bruce Willis) status as "Unbreakable", and even then, one might consider his surviving a massive train wreck as incredibly good luck. What this story does is pit three individuals of widely divergent talents and (dis)abilities for and against each other in a tense, psychological drama that plumbs the depths of rational and irrational behaviors. Unlike many viewers, I wasn't upset about all the principal characters dying at the finale; what bothered me was the motivation of Dr. Elle Staple (Sarah Paulson). She appeared to betray her profession to learn as much as she could for the benefit of mankind by analyzing the psyches and abilities of Dunn, Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson), and Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy). Instead, she was the leader of a cabal to eliminate those with innate capabilities beyond normal understanding. David learned this, and it became the instrument of his undoing. It might have been better if we had an insight or an inkling into Dr. Staple's background to better understand why she had it out for the protagonists in the picture. Yet for all that, I thought this was a compelling story with a phenomenal performance by McAvoy, who positions himself as a contender for the role of a 'real' super-hero villain at some point down the road. Too bad "Joker" is already spoken for.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it works to go for the eerie stuff
lee_eisenberg12 July 2019
M. Night Shyamalan made an interesting movie with "Split". It was no "Sixth Sense", but still worth seeing. "Glass" turns out to be equally mind-bending, with the characters from "Glass" and "Unbreakable" meeting. And there are some other people to add to the mix.

Maybe the movie goes a little too far in posing the question of whether or not superheroes exist, but I liked the tricks that Shyamalan played; basically, he needs to make more movies like this and fewer like "The Happening". Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and James McAvoy put on the performances of their lives. I also hope that Sarah Paulson (whom one of my friends met in New York) gets more roles like her role here.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing and suspenseful film excellently played and compellingly directed by M. Night Shyamalan
ma-cortes6 February 2020
A suspense thriller with supernatural overtone full of intrigue , thrills , emotion , surprise and plot twists . Intriguing film and magnificently played film with special mention for James McAvoy , being competently made by M. Night Shyalaman . Interesting picture and one of the greatest successes of the excellent filmmaker M. Night Shyalaman . Provoking and amazing thiller movie with fabulous interpretation , specially by James McAvoy who delivers a magnetic acting along with Bruce Willis and Samuel L . Jackson . It deals with a strange man diagnosed with 23 distinct personalities (James McAvoy) . He is Kevin Crumb , and suffers from disocciate identity disorder DID . While , David Dunn (Bruce Willis) finds himself locked in a mental hospital alongside his archenemy , Elijah Price (Samuel L Jackson) and Kevin Crumb . They are treated in their weird illness by a cunning psychiatrist named Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) , an obstinate therapist who delves deeper into his mysterious conduct , undergoing a real personal analysis . The strange Doctor is out to prove the trio do not actually possess superhuman abilities. In the meantime Kevin has 23 personalities and the 24th is about to be unleashed . Are You Ready For The Truth? .Are You Unbreakable? Some things are only revealed by accident . You Cannot Contain What You Are. Real villains are among us. Real heroes are within us.The World of Superheroes will be Shattered. It Has Begun.

This nail-biting flick has thrilling moments well delivered by the top-drawer director Night Shyalaman with surprising incidents , great ending and plot twists . It packs an adequate, though dark , at times , cinematography by Mike Gioulakis . As well as a thrilling and frightening musical score by West Dylan Thordson . The movie revolves around rare people with multiple personality , super-strength , and complex characters , being full of intrigue , emotion , surprise , violent fights , twists and turns . The film relies heavily on the bizarre personality of our starring and their claustrophobic ambient . At the end happens a surprising outcome when there takes place a dangerous confrontation in unexpected results with the appearance by the astonishing Beast , as Kevin has 23 personalities and the 24th is finally to be unleashed. Over-the-top performance from Samuel L. Jackson , Bruce Willis and especially James McAvoy who gives a real tour-de-force , it results to be a James McAvoy recital , playing a great number of personalities , including the horrible superhero monster . Along with Sarah Paulson acting as the psychologist who discovers deep traumas on the patients , at last . As usual , Night Shyalaman shows up , a brief cameo in Alfred Hitchcock style as a purchaser .

This film takes part of a splendid trilogy : 1ª ¨Unbreakable¨(2000) in which David Dunn : Willis is taking a train from New York City back home to Philadelphia after a job interview that didn't go well when his car jumps the tracks and collides with an oncoming engine, with David the only survivor among the 131 passengers on board, astoundingly , David is not only alive, he hardly seems to have been touched. As David wonders what has happened to him and why he was able to walk away, he encounters a mysterious stranger, Elijah Prince : Samuel L. Jackson, who explains to David that there are a certain number of people who are "unbreakable". Being starred by Robin Wright , Spencer Clark , Eamonn Walker , Leslie Stefanson and Charlayne Woodard, who plays the mother to Samuel L. Jackson's character, is actually almost a full 5 years younger than her on screen son . The second : ¨Multiple¨ (2017) regarding three beautiful teenagers : Anya Taylor Joy ,Haley Lu Richardson , Jessica Sula , they are classmates who while are in a car are taken by the mysterious kidnapper , as the terrorífied and locked adolescentes attempt to getaway from a terrible and feared Beast : James McAvoy . And this third installmet : ¨Glass¨ (2019) who closes the stunning trilogy .

This ¨Glass¨packs a colorful and evocative cinematography by Mike Giuolakis . As well as marvelous and thrilling musical score by West Dylan Thordson , though he incorporated several of James Newton Howard's themes from Unbreakable (2000). Well written/produced and directed by Night Shyamalan . The motion picture was well made by Night M Shyamalan , writing , producing and directing , though being some claustrophobic and slow-moving . Here Shyalaman was able to incorporate unseen stock footage from Unbreakable (2000) into this film, for flashback frames involving the younger versions of David : Willis and his son Joseph : Spencer Clark . He usually shoots in Philadelphia , this is Shyamalan favorite location . Night is an avid comic books fan , which was made in this film that along with "Unbreakable" , ¨Multiple¨and "Glass" belong to the top-notch trilogy starred by Bruce Willis , Samuel L Jackson and James McAvoy. Well produced by Night Shyamalan himself , many of his films involve pivotal roles with extraordinary abilities or events happening to them and with children always having family problems . Night Shyamalan is an expert on fantastic and Mystery films plenty of Intelligence and thought-provoking issues as proved in : ¨Signs¨ , ¨The village¨ , ¨Lady in water¨ , ¨The Incident¨ , ¨The sixth sense¨ , with exception for an extreme flop as critical as boxoffice : ¨Airbender¨. Rating 7/10 notable . Well worth watching . Better than average .
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glass < Split < Unbreakable.
BA_Harrison21 January 2019
After carefully establishing a new super villain in the form of The Beast (one of the many personalities of Kevin Wendall Crumb) in Split, director M. Night Shyamalan does precisely what I feared he would do with Glass and wastes all of the series' potential. For the majority of this movie's two and a half hours runtime, the three main characters - Crumb (James McAvoy), David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson) - have virtually no interaction and are given very little to do other than to sit and stew in a psychiatric institution where Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) tries to convince them that they're not so special after all. I can't say I was enthralled by this, but hoped that a blistering final act would make all of the waiting worthwhile. Fat chance...

When Crumb, Dunn and Glass finally face each other outside the institution, we get a lame smackdown that fails to generate excitement, followed by the sudden deaths of all three characters and a couple of Shyamalan's weakest twist endings (and that's saying something): 1) Staple is actually part of a secret organisation tasked with controlling superhumans, and 2) before he dies, Glass uploads footage of Dunn and Crumb fighting to the internet to prove their existence (as if people believe everything they see on the web is real).

As in Split, McAvoy impresses with his ability to switch between many different personalities, but to be honest, even his performance starts to irritate, a case of too much of a good thing.

4/10. The weakest of the Unbreakable series.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sequel to two movies, 'Unbreakable' and 'Split.'
TxMike22 May 2019
I watched this movie at home on BluRay from my public library system. My wife chose to skip.

M. Night has made a few good movies and also a few real stinkers. He is a great director, shots and scenes are always interesting. But he is very hit-N-miss as a writer. While this script isn't that good it is OK for the story here.

What he has done is merge sequels for two movies into one, 'Unbreakable' where we see the beginnings of a man realizing he has some super powers, and 'Split' where a man has 23 different personalities and kidnaps young girls. In this movie their paths collide.

James McAvoy is back playing the 23 characters and he does it fantastically. While Bruce Willis is back as David Dunn, who runs a store selling security equipment in Philadelphia, along with his now grown son. And of course Samuel L. Jackson is back as Elijah Price, but calls himself Mr. Glass.

There is a very slow section in the middle when all three men are imprisoned in a secure medical facility, and a psychiatrist works with them, one time with all three together in a large room, in essence trying to convince them they don't have super powers, everything can be explained by natural phenomena. I suppose that was necessary, considering how the movie played out, but I came away thinking that could have been shortened some and still get the points across.

Overall a good effort, I enjoyed viewing the movie and, although the conclusions are not what I was hoping for, I can see how it made sense to the filmmaker.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
M. Night Shyamalan's Glass confused me though it probably didn't help I wasn't completely awake during much of it...
tavm7 February 2019
When M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable came out way back in 2000, I remember enjoying it but it's now been about 19 years since then and I didn't know about his Split-which shared some characters with Unbreakable-from a few years ago but I hoped watching his Glass which now shared characters from both movies would bring it all back to me. While it probably didn't help that I was sleep during some of the beginning scenes, I have a feeling if I was wide awake the whole time, I still wouldn't make sense of it all. Especially when the Samuel L. Jackson character seemed less energetic compared to other characters he played. In summary, Glass seemed a confusing mess to me and my movie theatre-working friend.
3 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A confused and contrived way to create an unconvincing cinematic universe
Gordon-1117 January 2019
This film tells the story of a psychiatrist who tries to treat three supposed super humans.

I'm afraid the story does not work for me at all. To me, it is a contrived way to blend in comic book elements, to rise the wave to Marvel successes. It is a poor way to create a cinematic universe.

First, the story is implausible. There are many times when I question the plot. For example, if they are such dangerous individuals, why are they not behind double doors?

Then, the story tries to dispel the plots of previous films. It makes everything really confusing.

The plot twists are very contrived. The story is not convincing either. In addition, to properly understand the story, it requires you to remember the plot of a film from almost twenty years ago. As a result, the cinematic experience is more of a confusion than a thrill.
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weird brain bruiser from M. Night Shyamalan
michaelRokeefe9 July 2020
A psychological thriller written, directed and produced by M. Night Shayamalan. This is the final installment of a trilogy including his UNBREAKABLE (2000) and SPLIT (2016). Three weeks have passed since three young girls were kidnapped by a man (James McAvoy) suffering dissociative identity disorder that can manifest at least two dozen personalities. McAvoy is superb! This film also features Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Anya Taylor-Joy, Shannon Destiny Ryan, Diana Silvers Luke Kirby and Adam David Thompson. The critics were gave unfavorable reviews, but GLASS finished as the ninth highest-grossing film of 2019.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
COMIC BOOKS 101...LONG...THICK...HEAVY DREAD
LeonLouisRicci3 September 2021
Almost Two Decades in the Making.

This is Sort of a Follow-Up-Sequel to "Unbreakable" (2000) and "Split" (2017).

M. Night Shyamalan has been Trying to Emerge from a Career Slump.

Some Say He Has, but it's Still Debatable in Certain Circles.

These Two Movies that He is Riffing here are of Different Epochs in the Writer/Director's Filmography.

"Unbreakable" is Arguably His Best Film, even to this Late Date.

So it is a Welcome Return to a More Pleasing Time, although "Split" was mostly a Critical Success.

This one, Not So Much. It Received a Luke Warm Reception All Around.

"Glass' is a Movie that can seem so Sophomoric at times in Dealing with its Conceit of "Comic Book Intelligentsia".

The Deconstruction is Pedantic, Pedestrian, and could be Acceptable in an "Introduction" Course.

But Shyamalan Lays it on so Serious and Thick that it Screams of Pretentious Platitudes that are so Shop-Worn even "Newbies" might Cringe.

Other than that Anchor Weighing the Proceedings, the Movie has a Relentless Tone of Dread and a Certain Spooky Atmosphere that the Director Excels.

It's Talky to a Fault, especially for the Genre, and it Moves at a Lumbering, Lethargic Pace.

The Acting is Good and the Quirky Characters Abound making it an Interesting if Unengaging Watch for most Audience Expectations.

The Look of the Movie is Artistically Accommodating and Striking to the Eye, and there's a Certain Off-Beat, Other-Worldly Charm.

Just Like Comic Books.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Glass" Isn't Shatterproof
zardoz-135 February 2019
"Sixth Sense" writer & director M. Night Shyamalan's psychological superhero thriller "Glass" concludes the East Rail 177 Trilogy that his earlier epic "Unbreakable" (2000) launched and his previous outing "Split" (2016) followed. Better than "Unbreakable," not as emotionally gratifying as "Split," "Glass" chronicles the events that ensue after Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy) pulled off a vanishing act in "Split." Meantime, since "Split," this deranged, multi-personality, serial killer has remained at large in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. When "Split" came out, nobody knew Shyamalan would link "Split" to "Unbreakable," particularly the diners' comparison of Crumb to Glass. "Split" introduced moviegoers to Crumb and his 'Horde' of 24 personalities that formed a bulwark against the grim reality of his traumatic adolescence. His sadistic mom, Penelope (Rosemary Howard of "Super Troopers 2"), tortured him, after his father died in a train wreck. Similarly, one of Crumb's hostages, Casey Cooke (Anya Taylor-Joy of "The Witch") had suffered abuse at the hands of her decadent uncle. Since "Unbreakable," the taciturn David Dunn has maintained a low-profile, because he knows the authorities have their eyes on him. Nevertheless, he still moonlights as a vigilante and uses his superhuman qualities to thwart random street crimes.

In "Glass," Shyamalan has brought the ultimate villainous mastermind, Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson of "Pulp Fiction"), David Dunn (Bruce Willis of "Armageddon"), and Kevin Crumb together as a psychotic riff on "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Naturally, if you have seen neither "Unbreakable" nor "Split," you may find yourself at a severe disadvantage where the characters are concerned. Interestingly, Spencer Clark Treat, who played David Dunn's young son in "Unbreakable," reprises his role as Dunn's adult son Joseph. Anya Taylor-Joy encores as Casey Cooke, one of Crumb's abducted high school students who survived 'the Beast.' Finally, Charlayne Woodard returns as Mr. Glass' doting mother. The first two acts of "Glass" deliver exciting, action-packed drama, bristling with intrigue. Sadly, the anticlimactic third act doesn't witness the triumph of good over evil, but a compromise. Comparably, this third act is reminiscent of "Avengers: Infinity Wars." Moreover, Shyamalan has said publicly that he has no plans for a fourth film. Not surprisingly, McAvoy's hammy, hyperactive performance, as he skips elusively from one personality to another, overshadows his straightforward co-stars. That's a whole lot of winking on McAvoy's part. By comparison, Mr. Glass and David Dunn appear dull and dreary.

Shyamalan has created a new character for "Glass." Creepy, but conscientious, this reserved research psychologist, Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson of "Ocean's Eight"), treats patients afflicted with delusions of grandeur. Curiously, after admitting all three to Raven Hill Memorial Hospital, Staple points out she has only three days to convince them that they have nothing in common with comic book super heroes. Shyamalan never justifies this arbitrary 72-hour deadline. Dr. Staple has tailored their accommodations carefully so nobody can escape. These scenes generate more excitement than the talky, therapeutic panel discussion about their superhuman powers. She has incarcerated Crumb and his 'Horde' of personalities in a room equipped with banks of blinding strobe lights. These activate automatically when Crumb crosses a line or behaves in an aggressive manner. Every time the lights blaze at him, Crumb changes from one personality to another. Nothing he can do enables him to escape. Another former trauma victim, football stadium security guard David Dunn, who nearly drowned in a community swimming pool in his youth, confronts similar obstacles. If David moves too far in his cell, a battery of water nozzles installed in the ceiling is poised to saturate him into submission. Dr. Staple struggles to convince Dunn that his super heroic manifestations are a byproduct of his near-death experience. Finally, not only does Staple keep Mr. Glass heavily medicated, but she also orders the installation of additional surveillance cameras, so her staff can keep track of his escapades. Later, the villainous mastermind reveals to Kevin when he visits him that he is one step ahead of Staple. Just as Mr. Glass crashed the East Rail 177, so David Dunn would realize his miraculous powers, he is also responsible for Crumb's warped multiple-personality and the rise of 'the Beast.' As it turns out, Kevin's father, Clarence Crumb (newcomer Bryan McElroy), boarded the same train that Mr. Glass sabotaged, and Clarence died, leaving his poor son in his wife's treacherous hands. If you find Mr. Glass's machinations slightly preposterous, you're not alone.

Nevertheless, far-fetched as Mr. Glass' scheme is, the last-minute surprise at the end of "Glass"--appears even more outlandish. In the final quarter hour, after Mr. Glass, David Dunn, and 'the Beast' have broken out of the hospital, we learn Dr. Staple's secret. Literally, she as well as an anonymous group of others like her have something up their collective sleeves. She summons the Philadelphia Police, with their SWAT teams, and watches as they subdue Dunn and 'the Beast.' 'The Beast' had locked two female mental hospital attendants in a vehicle, but David released them once he whipped 'the Beast.' Imagine David's surprise when the SWAT team tackles him as well as 'the Beast' to regain control of the situation. What follows undermines everything before it. Although our hero and villains prove themselves endowed beyond any doubt with superhuman powers, the ending is dreadfully depressing.

Writer & director M. Night Shyamalan springs not one but several of his usual last-minute surprises. Each has an incredible but gratuitous, tacked-on quality. Reportedly, according to Shyamalan, this complicated ending was something he had planned as far back as 2000 when he helmed "Unbreakable." My earlier comparison between the comic book heroes in "Glass" and those in "Avengers: Infinity War" seems too good to be true. The outcome of David Dunn's fight with the SWAT team is tragic as is the demise of 'the Beast.' Nevertheless, Shyamalan isn't content to hit us with only two surprises but also a third. Altogether, the "Unbreakable," "Split," and "Glass" trilogy amounts to nothing less than an elaborate but implausible conspiracy thriller!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than half full
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews19 January 2019
David(Willis, stoic) has fully embraced the role of hero, and routinely takes down violent criminals. He's looking for one in particular: The Horde(McAvoy, with several new alters for him to act), who continue to unleash The Beast on increasingly larger groups. But both are put in a mental institution, that seeks to rid them of their delusions of grandeur, led by Dr Staple(Paulson, compassionate as she tries to bring them back to reality). There, they are joined by Elijah(Jackson, on his quest, deeply compelling as the mastermind). Can Dunn prevent them from escaping and killing dozens of people?

I respectfully disagree with most criticisms of this film. This does a great job of putting every returning character(all six of them) into places that are both new to them, and logical as growth from where they used to be. Not to mention having interesting things result of the meeting of the casts of the previous two movies. I'm not going to claim that this is entirely satisfying in bringing them together, and as a sequel to a nearly two decades old picture, it doesn't completely live up to hopes for it. "How could it possibly" is not sufficient in explaining why it doesn't. Some developments were exactly what we had already guessed they would be - it almost feels as though this was made by people who don't know what internet speculation is. Parts of the ending, which can feel like it goes on forever, ironically seem as though they simply stop part way through. I will say that the twist, or some of them, rather, blew my mind. When Shyamalan nails that aspect, it's amazing. His signature style is impressive, coming off as chosen because it fits the material, more often than not. The action is memorable and well choreographed, even if there could be more of it.

There is a lot of disturbing material, and a small amount of moderate violence, in this. I recommend this to fans of comic books and of this Cinematic Universe. 8/10
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unusual and effective sequel to two films
neil-4761 November 2020
In Unbreakable, we met Elijah Price, a brittle bone sufferer who engineered a multi-fatality accident in order to prove that David Dunn was a superhero with great strength and resistance to physical harm. Then writer/director M Night Shyamalan's run of critical and commercial hits entered a downward spiral, culminating in the awful The Last Airbender.

After some years spent rebuilding his career, Shyamalan came out with Split, in which one of Kevin's multiple personalities is The Beast, who has a tendency to kidnap and muder young women. The very end of Split teases us with David Dunn, making it clear that the two films are connected.

And so we come to Glass, in which, after some exposition and plot engineering, Elijah, David, and Kevin end up in the same psychiatric unit, where Dr Ellie Staple is trying to deal with the mental condition of people who think they are superheroes.

Shyamalan has done a good job here. This is a good and original story, well scripted, with resolutions for the three main characters which make sense, and two late plot doglegs which are quite fair but not easy to anticipate. It is also well directed, with some excellent directorial choices.

Thanks are due to Bruce Willis for playing the very necessary but lowest key of the principals. McAvoy, as in Split, gets to do masses of showing off and, boy, is he good!
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
split decision
ferguson-617 January 2019
Greetings again from the darkness. It's pretty simple. If you are a fan of UNBREAKABLE (2000) and SPLIT (2016), then you need to see this finale to M. Night Shyamalan's trilogy. If neither of the two previous films tickled your creep fancy, then you'll likely find nothing of interest here. The biggest fear is that fans of the first two (like me) will be disappointed and frustrated (like me) by the missed opportunity. Rather than real world super abilities clashing, we get what is mostly a silly letdown.

The set-up is outstanding. David Dunn (Bruce Willis) and his now-grown son Joseph (Spencer Treat Clark) have teamed up for years in tracking down lowlife societal scumbags and teaching them a lesson. Mostly avoiding cameras (more difficult now than when he first realized his power), Dunn now has a nickname, The Overseer, and still dons his green poncho - though it's now equipped with a headset for communication with Joseph.

The Dunn men have been tracking Kevin Wendell Crumb (with a Beetlejuice twist), who has kidnapped more teenage girls and is holding them hostage. James McAvoy returns as Kevin, and his 23 other personalities (referred to as The Horde), and early in the movie we get our first Dunn vs. The Beast battle. Unfortunately, it's brief and ends in their capture and being locked away in an institution. And this is where the fun comes screeching to a halt.

It's at the institution where we discover Elijah Wood/Mr. Glass (Samuel L Jackson) is also being held, and Dr Elle Staple (Sarah Paulson) is the psychologist specializing in treating those who believe they possess super human traits, be they good or evil. This misdirected plot line is our first real frustration, as we have already seen the super strength of Dunn, the massive transformation of The Beast, and the villainous mastermind of Elijah. By definition there is no suspense when we know the answer. Because of this, the entire treatment segment drags on far too long, and features entirely too much of Ms. Paulson, and too little of those we came to see.

Also reprising their previous roles are Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey, the only surviving former captive of Kevin, and Charlayne Woodward as Elijah's mother. Ms. Woodward is given little to do, and Ms. Taylor-Joy's strong acting almost saves her from the ludicrous script ... a development we intellectually understand, but emotionally refuse to accept. In fact, the script is to blame for most of our frustration here. McAvoy is again tremendous in his ability to convey multiple personalities, and Jackson, once he is no longer catatonic (never a good use of a dynamic actor), relishes his return to evil. There is an interesting use of color for the three main characters: Dunn - green, Kevin - yellow, and Elijah - purple, and the cinematography of Mike Gioulakis (IT FOLLOWS) contributes some unusual angles and views.

Disney and Universal are to be commended for a rare rival studio collaboration, and M Night Shyamalan certainly deserves credit for being on the front end (with UNBREAKABLE) of the serious, dark, atmospheric superhero movie perfected by Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, but this film is nothing to be proud of. The film's twist is easily predictable (and dragged out), and some parts are disappointing while some are an insult to our intelligence ... and downright silly (the ending). Still, there is a certain value to closure, even if it's a letdown.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of talent and potential.
bombersflyup4 April 2019
Glass is basically a re-hash of the second film, expanding on nothing.

Willis and Jackson are back, but don't have significant roles with McAvoy the centerpiece. Which is a huge mistake, as McAvoy again is quite annoying and they're both greats in the field. I like that Willis's character's son's played by Spencer Clark, same as the first film. He does a good job, why his character's sitting with Jackson's character's mother at the end baffles me though, as she raised a monster and he's good. The footage being uploaded to the net's a poor ending and I don't see how anybody's life changes the following day because of it. Unbreakable's a remarkable film however and the only reason I gave this a chance.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James McAvoy kills it.
deloudelouvain11 April 2019
Unbreakable is just too far away for me to completely remember, the only thing I remembered was that I liked it. Split on the other hand is still fresh in my memory, a movie that I really enjoyed, especially for the convincing acting skills of James McAvoy. In Glass James McAvoy excels again, he's by far the best actor in this movie, and that not only due to his exceptionally weird character. Bruce Willis is just an okay actor, nothing brilliant, it seems like I know all his facial expressions even before they occure. Samuel L. Jackson had more of a silent role but even then I thought he was better than Bruce Willis. Glass took another direction in the end than I thought it would, so that was a surprise, i don't really know if I liked that route though. For that I will have to binge watch Unbreakable, Split and Glass again, an option that I already look forward to as the three movies are all better than the usual stuff..
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boredom at Ravenhill Memorial
lavatch18 April 2019
In the bonus track of the DVD of "Glass," writer-director M. Night Shyamalan described his premise of the film as a drama unfolding within the interior spaces of a single facility. Unfortunately for film viewers, the result was a static product with so much of the action occurring in the Ravenhill Memorial institution in Philadelphia.

Shyamalan's first cut of the film came in at a whopping three hours and twenty minutes. While the theatrical version was slightly over two hours, it was still a slow-paced experience even after the deleted scenes. Much of the problem was the rather predictable action occurring in the hospital with little visual variety.

As a filmmaker, Shyamalan's strength is in his outdoor scenes, especially the great locations in Philadelphia. The best scenes in the film occur outdoors. For the balance, the audience was stuck in a room with either Elijah Price (Jackson), David Dunn (Willis), or a set of cameos in the multiple personality world of Kevin Wendell Crumb (McAvoy).

While the three actors performed admirably, the principal adversary of the three comic book characters was a nondescript psychiatrist, who did not sustain interest through the film. The theme was a contrast of good and evil, and it was never clear whether the psychiatrist was on the side of light or darkness.

Shyamalan's best films include an element of the paranormal, the most compelling of which was "The Sixth Sense." But "Glass" was an ordinary comic book film within the structure of a thriller. It never provided the thrills, especially when the high tower of the Osaka building had been carefully set up, then was never used. This was a long, drawn-out homage to comic book heroes lacking both substance and imagination.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Interesting Spin On Superheroes!
namashi_120 January 2019
Writer-Director M. Night Shyamalan's sequel to the director's previous films Unbreakable and Split , 'Glass' is the director's most ambitious attempt in years. And the man helming this recent box-office Hit, gives his Superhero saga an interesting spin. So, if you go in thinking that this will be a yet another Superhero movie with the usual cliches and it's generic tropes, you're in the wrong movie. Shyamalan flirts with the ideas of Superheroes, but gives us a tale on what makes one special and how one's gift cannot be denied or contained, irrespective of the people who want to destroy it.

'Glass' follows David Dunn (Bruce Willis) who gets locked in a mental hospital alongside his once-rival Mr. Glass, (Samuel L. Jackson) as well as the multi-personality "The Horde" (James McAvoy) and must escape from a psychiatrist (Sarah Paulson) who is out to prove the trio do not actually possess super-human abilities.

'Glass' combines Shyamalan's very own Superheroes to deliver a spectacle that will keep you invested, although it lags in parts. Yes, 'Glass' isn't perfect, but what makes the film work overall is how it pushes the audience to think beyond the usual mayhem and over-the-top nature of Superhero Blockbusters have turned out to be. While there is action here and some true thrill too, this superhero-thriller flick is more about exploring one's self. We watch the three characters locked in a mental ward by a psychiatrist who wouldn't let them be who they are, thus, arresting them from their superpowers. Shyamalan keeps the narrative progressive and the connections between the 2 previous films prior to this, add up nicely. But his message and vision of making 'Glass' remains clear: You are who you are and the truth of being special, cannot be denied!

Shyamalan's Screenplay definitely could've been sharper, though. While I enjoyed the themes and particularly the film's final act, the Writing lags in the middle portions. Also, the narrative doesn't gather much speed in the first-hour, it's only when Sam Jackson's Mr.Glass comes into play and the film grabs you. The middle bits, particularly the continuous jabbering by the psychiatrist, is given too much screen-time, but hardly leaves any impact. Simply put, The film begins with a bang, then slows down for a good 30-minutes, and then picks up for a truly enjoyable second-hour. And a word for the much-talked about culmination of the film: Rousing! Shyamalan's view of superpowers and his brave approach to do away from the cliches, is rather innovative and impactful.

Shyamalan's Direction is commendable. The man is in form this time, and despite his own Writing not giving him support all through, he Directs the film with a distinctive style. Mike Gioulakis's Cinematography is excellent. The Lens-Man's work is especially impressive when he goes for the close-ups, that explore the intensity of it's characters. Luke Ciarrocchi and Blu Murray's Editing could've been a little more crisper, but it's decent nonetheless. Art and Costume Design are well-done. West Dylan Thordson's Score is excellent.

Performance-Wise: Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson and James McAvoy reprise their popular roles and none of them disappoint. Willis is restrained as the unbreakable hero, delivering a controlled performance from start to end. Sam Jackson has a blast as the conniving Mr.Glass, who despite his bad deeds, makes us feel for him by the time the film ends. And McAvoy is absolutely sensational as The Horde/ Kevin Wendell Crumb, the multiple personality brat, who's flair for change is a joy to watch. His change of personalties are funny and scary, in equal measure. Sarah Paulson is one-note as the adamant psychiatrist. Anya Taylor-Joy, Spencer Treat Clark and Charlayne Woodard return to their roles and deliver credibly.

On the whole, 'Glass' pushes the Superhero Genre to interesting results. While it's not perfect and will not appeal to all, for a change of pace, it works well! I recommend it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
McAvoy is marvelous.
jdesando18 January 2019
M. Night Shyamalan's Glass, the third in Shyamalan's Eastrail 177 trilogy after Unbreakable (2000) and Split (2016), breaks into fragments of story line that the director, in his classic style, ties up through twists that partially put the pieces together. Although James McAvoy's multiple split personalities are more bearable than in Split, and we do get into his psyche better, the character still confounds as his parts elide and crash up against each other.

As chief psychiatrist Ellie (Sarah Paulson) deals with three sociopaths who think themselves super heroes, the common denominator is traumas from childhood that never leave and do contribute to the adult's aggressive behavior. This disclosure is made multiple times in the film---unnecessarily.

In addition to McAvoy's many personalities, David Dunn (Bruce Willis), a former security who should not be imprisoned in an asylum, is committed to arresting those McAvoy wackos while Glass (Samuel L. Jackson), a comic book fanatic, acts like a super villain right off the pages.

The director's homage to comic book culture is a bit late since comic book super heroes have peopled the pop cult scene for almost 20 years.

I'm making more sense than Shyamalan, for the basic story centers on the three inmates freeing themselves from the hospital and themselves. The sterile and lonely hospital might evoke Silence of the Lambs except that Hannibal Lecter is so much more developed than these one-dimensional, pulp heroes.

In addition, Lambs doesn't have to rely on plot twists to create an atmosphere of dread and fear. Agent Starling (Jody Foster) and Lecter (Anthony Hopkins) fully embody the good and evil, no one dimension for them.

McAvoy should receive some award for his seamless trips to his character's personalities. Willis and Jackson are underused, and perhaps that's my dilemma. Glass would make much more sense and have more intrigue if there were more of their characters. But then there would be more split characters to deal with. Enough already.

"This is not a cartoon. This is the real world." Elijah Price (Samuel L. Jackson)