The Kid Who Would Be King (2019) Poster

Really good fun family film
english_artist6 May 2019
My wife and I watched this and really enjoyed it. It was a wet dreary day outside on a bank holiday Monday so this was a good way to spend it. Love how it was all set in the UK. Yes its King Arthur etc but that would not normally stop them from ending up in the USA at some point.

There was some great moments in the movie like making the round table by lifting the sides on a normal table and Excalibur coming out the bath... very clever and witty.

The special effects were also excellent especially the demon horse riders... really good stuff and of course its always good to see Partick Stewart but all the actors were great such as leading role Louis Ashbourne Serkis and Young Merlin (Angus Imrie)

A very good family movie and well worth watching
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A joyful British Arthurian romp
TrevorHickman21 January 2019
I didn't know if it were possible to get kids' films like this anymore. It was great fun from start to finish, it's (possibly) about 15 minutes too long (the middle section drags a tiny bit), but it's so enjoyable and there are excellent quips throughout. My kids went away quoting the jokes from the film, and that must be a good sign.

I read another review that director Joe Cornish was a big fan of Time Bandits Terry Gilliam's 1981 fantasy movie. Both have strong leads, slightly oblique plots, together with wizardry and magic

Time Bandits had Sean Connery, The Kid Who Would Be King has Patrick Stewart who puts in a sterling alternating performance (with Angus Imrie) as Merlin.

Louis Ashbourne Serkis is fabulous as Alex the main protagonist. He's got an acting pedigree (both his parents, Andy Serkis and Lorraine Ashbourne) are excellent actors. His Dad is best known for his portrayal of Gollum...fancy having a Dad who was Gollum?!

Anyway, TKWWBK is terrific. As a teenager I loved Excalibur but it's too long (and dark) for my 10 and 11 year olds. This was a perfect antidote. Arthurian Legend and heraldry but without (too much) bloodthirstiness.

Go and see it, it's the best film (whether aimed at children or adults) I've seen for months and months.
80 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome for kids up to 10
scubax15 April 2019
This movie is surprisingly good for kids the right age. My girls, 7 and 9 loved it.

It's a modern Arthurian tale, so set in the UK with all the adventure movie cliches you might expect which is no bad thing. I'm really surprised by some of the lower-scoring reviews. This movie is formulaic and predictable but it really isn't intended to keep a 44 year old man like me on the edge of his seat.

For it's target audience - kids - it's awesome.

The visual effects were far better than expected for what I thought was a low budget movie (it's $60m) and having Patrick Stewart to bolster the cast as the old Merlin helped too.

There's enough humor and pace along the way stopping it from feeling stuffy and too serious which keeps it light and positive.

Best family movie in ages :)
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspend disbelief and simply enjoy.
rptrezise4 May 2019
Didn't expect much from this but the kids are good, Merlin (both old and young) is a delight and it's actually rather corny fun. If you expected it to be anything else, why are you watching it? Only effect I thought weak was the one for 'MorganaDragon' and the rest are up to par, in the main. Story isn't overlong, unless you can only tolerate cartoons. Neither the best, nor the worst film you'll see. Give it a go. Avoid preconceptions. If you're disappointed, you simply have no soul. Particularly if you can't warm to Bedders immediately.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is more like it!
jmagruder-194-69920217 August 2019
Great family flik! Fun take, not too cliche in some points, humor and who doesn't love Patrick Stewart?
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good
clairehaywardot4 May 2019
Went with my husband, 7 and 12 year old boys. We all enjoyed it. A bit scary for the seven year old in parts. Yes it's a bit cheesy but has a lovely message, genuinely funny and moving in parts. Great CGI. We'd watch it again and recommend it
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming Film About How Anyone Can be A King
rannynm24 January 2019
The Kid Who Would Be King is a heartwarming film about a boy named Alexander who finds out that he is the future king of Britain. Now he, his friends and his enemies, must embark on a quest to defeat a wicked enchantress named Morgana (Rebecca Ferguson) before the end of a solar eclipse. This film is based on the legend of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, including the legend of the magical sword, Excalibur. At night, everyone disappears from the world except for Alex and anyone he has knighted. This way they can take whatever they want and try to defeat all of Morgana's minions. When they are all gone, Alex and his knights stay where they are and everything else returns to normal.

There are lots of cool scenes in this film that involve exciting sword battles. In my interview with Patrick Stewart (Merlin), Rhianna Dorris (Kaye) and Louis Ashbourne Serkis (Alex), I learned that the cast used real swords to train with to learn the real feel and heaviness of medieval swords and armor. However, in the actual film they used realistic plastic swords, because otherwise it would be too dangerous.

My favorite character in this film is Merlin (Angus Imrie/Patrick Stewart). He is serious and gets things done most of the time, but he also does a lot of funny and cool things that are really appealing to watch. For example, when he does his magic, all the stuff around him is flying through the air and all the lights are flickering. That is a really interesting effect.

My favorite scene is when Alexander and a few of his knights are rushing through the woods on horses, while trying to defeat a large army of fire monsters on fire breathing horses who are trying to take Excalibur away from them. This scene is very exciting and has a few funny parts in it too.

The message of this film is that anyone can be a king; you just need to have a good heart and follow the knight's code which says that you must "honor those you love, refrain from wanton offence, speak the truth at all times and persevere in any enterprise until the end."

I rate this film 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 7 to 18, because it is a good combination of an action movie and a heartwarming storyline that gives it a great message. I think adults will enjoy watching this with their kids.

Reviewed by Damon F., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kdisfirst dot org.
35 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basic and way to long!
muamba_eats_toast15 February 2019
The basic premise of the film is fine and some of the action is ok but the script is beyond basic and the film is atleast half hour to long. Young kids will probably still love it but not much in it for a maturer audience
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun concept, too cheesy
cardsrock4 February 2019
I enjoy the idea of a modern retelling of King Arthur, but I wish the film had turned out a little better. There were far too many cringey moments relative to every touching or entertaining moment. Kids movies can be fun and profound without being super cheesy. It's an okay film, but it ends up being kinda forgettable.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kid Who Would Be King (2018)
rockman18227 January 2019
Well January in film has pretty much come and gone and I have to say that I'm surprised that I've enjoyed most of the films that have come out this year thus far. Wasn't really looking forward to this film that was a child friendly rendition of a modern day King Arthur but I gave it a go. Its really dumb at times as expected but is entertaining enough to warrant its own existence. I do hope to not have any more film adaptation of Arthurian legend for a while though.

The film is about a kid named Alexander who one day stumbles on the legendary Excalibur sword. This event unleashes Morgana, an enchantress who is looking to gain access to the sword. To stop her and her soldiers, Alexander enlists the help of an unlikely trio while receiving aid and guidance from the ancient wizard, Merlin. The film stars the son of Andy Serkis and the always gorgeous Rebecca Ferguson (except not when she transforms in this film).

The running length of this film is too long especially for a children's movie. These types of films should clock in at a max of an hour and a half. The effects of the film were pretty decent and the characters were good enough to keep you watching their plight. Its a modern day re-imaging of the successor to the sword and the stone which I find the younger crowd could really enjoy.

There isn't a whole lot of good or bad in this film, it meets its mark in the middle. Its an introduction to Louis Ashbourne Serkis, who I am sure we will see more of in the future. Also, its a chance to see Rebecca Ferguson who really needs to be in more things because she's super great. Overall, don't expect anything more than what the trailers show you but its a perfectly fine film that will go over well with the younger viewers.

6.5/10
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joyous English fantasy for the right age kids
Billius4417 January 2019
My 11yo absolutely loved this movie, as did I. Pretty sure my 14yo would find it boring and lame.....

Joe Cornish has captured the spirit of classic English 20thC fantasy (Narnia, Bedknobs+Broomsticks, Dark Is Rising etc) wonderfully, and brought it into the modern era. It's by no means perfect, but if you just suspend your disbelief willingly this film has enormous charm, excitement, magic and humour. (Could the kids really train to take on an army of undead warriors that quickly?? No, of course not. Now shut up, hold your child's hand and Eat Your Popcorn),

Nice to see Tintagel again, although the scenes shot in North Cornwall were over too quickly for me.
41 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of fun
hh-9445020 January 2019
This is a kid's movie. it doesn't pretend to be anything else, and it delivers where most kid's movies pull up short. The plot keeps a good pace, the acting isn't dumbed down, the script is good, there is enough humour to entertain, it shouldn't offend the Arthurians, the opponents are scary enough and the moral of the movie is there but not OTT. An A- production where typically these movies are C+ or C-
35 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great kid movie...
arcanjl22 July 2019
I thought this movie was great for the kiddos, and was entertaining enough to watch with them. Probably a pass for the theater, but a fun movie night at home, this is perfect.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just because we've, essentially, seen it before doesn't mean it isn't good.
Pjtaylor-96-13804428 February 2019
Let's be honest, we've all seen 'The Kid Who Would Be King (2019)' before. It's a kid-friendly, modern-day reimagining of an old legend entered around a 'chosen one' narrative and an ensemble of single-trait characters. That doesn't mean that it's without its merits, though. It may occupy a well-worn genre but it occupies it well, comfortably conforming to - and occasionally contorting - the conventions it knows so keenly. It also has a good amount of edge, self-censoring only through its central conceits, and, as such, it feels much closer to the fondly-remembered 'kid' films of yesteryear than most of the stuff being pumped out today (and not just because it's live-action). This actually makes it feel incredibly authentic as each moment seems to serve the story. Whether it's scary, funny, heartfelt or just plain action-packed, the flick always makes a point of staying true to itself, having an excellent understanding of its target audience in the process. Of course, this means that much of the piece is painted in pretty broad strokes. The humour is never really successful and the character-work is all incredibly basic. Still, it's appreciated. By the time the finale rolls around, you'll be invested in the characters and will actively want to see them succeed. Speaking of the finale, it's probably the best part; it's exciting, well-staged and uniquely large-scale. Unfortunately, it's preceded by a pace-killing 'fake-out' that's not only obvious but also just far too long. Without it, I feel the picture would have moved much more smoothly into its final movement and, generally, been all the more successful. It doesn't destroy the experience, though. Overall, the movie is a fun and well-executed entry into a widely-seen genre. It's, essentially, as predictable as it is enjoyable. It's not groundbreaking, nor extremely engaging, but it's entertaining enough to be worth a watch, especially - I suppose - if you aren't as familiar with its framework as I am. 6/10
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice first half, mediocre second half.
gwest-5816026 January 2019
I'd give the first half a high 6, nice. A fun family adventure movie with a couple of funny parts.

But then it lost steam and the second half was generic- a below average 4. I wanted to like the action but it became pretty tedious.

So I guess it's a 5/10. Shame.
33 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting and hugely entertaining
brunette_blueye2 September 2019
I watched this with my 6 year old boys and they absolutely loved it - they were captivated by the story! The lesson is great, the way the bullies overcome their selfishness and learn to fight together against evil! All of the acting was superb too! I loved it too, an enchanting, exciting and brilliantly written story. Defintaely give this a watch- it deserves way more than 6 stars!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun And Different Children's Movie
MovieBuff1173214 June 2019
The Kid Who Would Be King is about a kid who draws a sword from a stone and a wizard named Merlin comes and tries to tell him what he needs to do. He also some of his friends to help him destroy a evil dragon from destroying the world.

The Kid Who Would Be King was way different then what you would expect the movie to be. It took a different path than most movies you see now. The story was pretty solid. It was a normal story but they used different ways of telling it that made it more interesting. Also the acting was a key part to this movie. The kids all did fantastic jobs. They felt like really people in a real situation. The only thing I didn't like was Patrick Stewart part. I thought he didn't get enough screen time. It was more of this other kid that did fine but Patrick Stewart would have been better as Merlin the whole movie.

Overall, The Kid Who Would Be King was a fun movie for the whole family.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun and Charming Film
amirmustafaa9 July 2019
This movie wasn't even on my radar, but I decided to give it a chance, and I'm glad I did. This is pretty much your standard children's fantasy story made in the same vain as Harry Potter, but what sets this apart is how fun and charming it is. This movie succeeds where other fantasy movies like Percy Jackson and Eragon failed. Unlike those movies, this is a fun movie with a very good message. If I watched this movie when I was a kid, I would have absolutely fell in love with it, but watching this as an adult was a great experience.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good kids film
Benslie26 January 2019
First of all, the musical score, which is composed by Christophe Beck and Electric Wave Bureau, was incredible. You could just listen to the score and understand what is going on in the film at that point in time. It helped to understand what was going on in the scenes and what you should feel in that moment. The scenery in this film looked well done and you could tell a lot of detail went into them. At certain times in the film, the CGI and special effects were decent to look at but for a majority of the film, it looked like the special effects department was rushed to get something done. The transitions in this film were awkward and made no sense. At some points, it would feel like the scene had more in it but they had to cut out something to get to a shorter run time. Now, I understand that a majority of the actors are kids and I believe they all can go far in the future is just their acting in this film was really bland. There was very little to no emotion given in any scene from the four main characters. There was only one actor who actually showed emotion and that was Angus Imrie, who plays young Merlin. His character was weird and outgoing and he was probably one of my only favourite things in this film. Although at some parts he probably should have toned his acting down a notch. The villain in this film was just bad and made no sense. I think if they had a longer run time this film could have fixed any of the flaws the had. The last thing I want to mention is how this film relies on certain things to happen and if one of those things didn't happen the entire film wouldn't happen. In the end, this film is a good time for younger kids but not for the whole family.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Modestly entertaining. Very modestly
Mike_Noga29 January 2019
SO it's a kid's movie and as such I judge it differently than a movie aimed at someone my own age. And I have to say, the kids I was with felt it was " OK". And I agree with them. For a modern " re-imagining" it was surprisingly by the numbers. There weren't any surprises and the second act dragged. The kids I was with ( 10 and 11 ) looked pretty listless during the middle of the film. The exception was Merlin. The actor who played him did a good job of making him comic relief without portraying him as a buffoon. I mean he acted the way you'd want a major wizard like Merlin to act, while still being funny. He was a hit with the kids and they wished the movie had been more about him. Tge SFX were good too. Morgana, while not being given much to do,came across as a formidable villain and frighteningly, her argument for subjugating all of Britain seemed well reasoned. Finally, there was a lot of talk about how Arthur excelled at making enemies into allies and a united England. And the kids were all told by Merlin that they could grow up to make a difference if they would only fight for what they believed to be the right thing. You have to think that in these days of Brexit and political devisiveness that's not a mistake that that message wandered into the film. It's a good message, I just wish the film makers told it more effectively.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome family action flick with slick Sci-Fi
UniqueParticle21 January 2020
Fun adventure story that's inspirational and delightfully confident! I love the magic aspects, sound design is soothing, the battles are epic, and several parts are funny. Nice experience for any age unfortunate IMDb has it at 6.0 definitely deserves better! A nice treat that might surprise you.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great TV Show Pilot, Okay Movie
matthewssilverhammer1 February 2019
The Arthurian legends were the YA novels of their day. Full of magic, humanism, drama, and adventure, they carry the epic traits of so many of the modern tales we get wrapped up in. Now those tales have returned, boasting the influences of so many of the stories it helped to birth (Harry Potter, Star Wars): the oafishly wise mentor, the unassuming hero, the otherworldly foes, the good-hearted sidekicks. It's a plot as old as time and as predictable as any old fable, but with strong characters and cool lore, The Kid Who Would Be King manages to be forgettable, childish fun. When young Alex finds and removes a sword from a cinder block, it becomes clear that he may be the descendant of King Arthur himself. Joined by a team of outcast schoolmates, they go on an Amblin-esque quest, including the action ingenuity and lovable loser protagonists of beloved films like Goonies. On the same note, it also includes the obnoxious tendencies of those 80s films that parents squint their eyes at (constant yelling, demonizing of adults). Luckily, director Cornish displays a care rarely seen in modern live-action kids fare, as proved by big themes like modern politics and little details like dirty fingernails. Ultimately though, this is a silly little movie, which isn't a bad thing. The hero's-journey opening and the final battle are a blast, combining the best elements of Home Alone, Hook, and even Lord of the Rings, and its calling card in those moments is its over-the-top-ness. Do I wish it was maybe either more substantive or more overtly juvenile? Sure. But my 6-year-old was fully engrossed throughout, so what do I know?
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I was 12 this would be my favorite film of the year...
CubsandCulture19 April 2019
As a clever re-working of the King Arthur tales this film is very entertaining. The few action set pieces are exciting and the final battle is really fun. The film's sense of humor is spot on for this type of film; The guy who played the younger Merlin is absolutely hysterical in this. The film has just the right tone for a family fantasy flick.

It plays a little long and the pace lags now and then. The third act complications around Alex's father are really not needed, and make the film a bit too serious for the other material.

This is a great film for family fun night.
Fun fantasy adventure
masonsaul15 February 2019
It has a few familiar elements and wastes Rebecca Ferguson but The Kid Who Would Be King is still a fun fantasy adventure. It has great performances from all of the young cast and also Patrick Stewart. The CG is good enough and it's a fresh and unique take on the legend of King Arthur. It also makes some surprisingly mature choices.
Decent Stories
syarwanhamid11 April 2019
Opening is good, but after one hours, it decent. I really hope epic battle, but, is not really, is decent. But overall, if i can compare, this story is like Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia. I think, this movie have potential on animation, who people can really understand about fairy tale. But overall good, even this movie is failed on commercial.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.