Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) Poster

1,245 Reviews
Not a masterpiece, but entertaining AF!
cherrysunday3 October 2019
Like I said, it's not a masterpiece, and it certainly has some problems, but the movie knew exactly what it needed to be and what it needed to do and it did it well. Statham, Johnson, Ilba and the rest of the cast all did a pretty good. The action is over the top but entertaining and exiting. The movie was also pretty self aware and wasn't as arrogant as the other F&F movies. And I loved the choice to make a F&F movie with such a bizarre and over the top plot. At some points the movie got a little to repetitive and cliche for me, and some of the jokes and skits were a little bit weaker than others, but like I said this movie is not the one made to be a masterpiece, or to be analysed for messages or deeper meaning, its just a dumb summer movie but a really good one at that.
199 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
kosmasp21 October 2019
That is a bit what the two stars are supposed to be. Though don't ask me who is who - if you insist I'd say Statham is the unstoppable force and Dwayne the immovable object. Which would make sense, since he is the Rock ... Ok kidding aside now, we know this unlikely team made waves in the last Fast and Furious movie andwas the best thing about it. At least the funniest thing about it.

So if you liked that and you came for more of the same, you will be treated that way. And you should not expect anything other than just silly action and all that accompanies that. Idris Elba has quite the appearance early on, but cannot add to that after that. He is just a stepping stone - I'm being a bit unfair. He has quite a few moments. Still overall you might be a bit disappointed in his character - but an obvious continuation of Hobbs and Shaw might shed some light on that (who am I kidding it made enough money for them to continue with this)
167 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Action Movie
rogersdaniel-1101119 October 2019
Ok, so for the only bad thing I can think of to say about this movie, the story is just ok, and has been done before, Stop the bad guys from getting the Virus, ok its been done, But that being said the action parts of which is almost the whole thing are done really well and I really enjoyed watching this movie. There where some corny parts of course but I can over look those as it was just a really fun movie. I am actually looking forward to a sequel despite there being so many of these movies already, I really want to know the actor behind the voice at the end and to see which of the pervious movies that this person ends up coming from. This movie wont end up being a classic but I highly recommend watching for a fun afternoon
125 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to hate it.
danhoughton2 October 2019
... But I just couldn't. It was so obviously refusing to take itself seriously that you couldnt help but be swept up in the fun. Yes, it's over the top, unsubtle and about as deep as a politicians sense of honesty, but I found myself enjoying the banter. It's a movie you can watch with half an eye and chuckle at. Just watch it with no preconceptions and enjoy the ride.
187 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A champagne problem.....
FlashCallahan20 August 2019
This film is a divider, you're either going to love it, or you are just going to dismiss the fact that this film exists.

Ever since the dawning of the F and F franchise, each film has become more ridiculous as the budget and the stars have got bigger. The first film was about stealing DVD players, and now we have a bad guy who is enhanced by technology, a kind of Robocop/Terminator with a little G.I Joe thrown in for good measure, and it just never lets up until the final one liner.

Ever since Hobbs and Shaw first faced off, they have swapped smack talk and body blows as they've tried to take each other down.

When cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever - and bests a brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent, who just happens to be Shaw's sister - these two enemies must partner up to bring down their seemingly invincible foe.

If you were a fan of the buddy-cop sub genre that was rife in the eighties and nineties, then this has nostalgia written all over it. It resembles 1989's Tango and Cash more than any other film, as that film was purely tongue in cheek, never took itself seriously, and the stars were happy to send themselves up to get a laugh and to enhance the nonsensical narrative.

Statham and Johnson are clearly having lots of fun making this, and the first and final act are clearly the best parts of the film. When the pair are doing their separate things, it falters in the second act, which is a shame, because Elba's 'bad guy' is a true cinematic villain, full of speeches, protuberance, and envy, all the makings of a brilliant antagonist.

Add a couple of wonderful cameos, and Hobbs and Shaw is a fun action film that throws everything at the screen, hoping that something will stick, and most of it does.

It's a shame that most of the tentpole set pieces were offloaded on the spolierific trailers, but that really doesn't matter, as the final confrontation is pretty visceral and inventive, and one wishes fro once that it maybe would have been enhanced by the medium of 3D.

The film references The Rock, Escape from New York, G.I. Joe, The Terminator, and even Transformers in places, but it delivers exactly what you'd expect, a testosterone fuelled adventure that demands you take it with a big pinch of salt and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Lots of fun, and instantly forgettable.
196 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want more of madam M!!!
theenigma1299 October 2019
The movie was very good. I enjoyed it. But there was one big thing That's been bugging me: I wish eiza Gonzalez had more screen time!!! Eiza had her name part of the main cast list and she's part of the poster for the movie and yet eiza and her character madam M were only in the movie for 5 mins. That's not right! (Ok to be fair, she's was already working on another movie "bloodshot" at that time. So she only flew to london, to be in Hobbs & Shaw for a couple of days) still, I love, enjoyed, appreciated and praised every single second of eiza's scenes, her performance and character so so very much. Madam M and all other different characters eiza had played recently and so far. (Even though they were small roles and one or two earlier movies she was in are not my favorites) but still, I love eiza with all my heart & soul and everything she has done so far. Hope they'll be a sequel to Hobbs & Shaw and eiza comes back as madam M, has more screen time and is more involved because eiza deserves it 100% I love you eiza Gonzalez!!!
180 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some scenes too long but ... Fun action movie!!
GDovW3 October 2019
3 points. 1. I am surprised by the large gap between scores. It looks like the fans of Fast and Furious were the most disappointed ... but the title of the movie says it: "F&F *presents* Hobbs and Shaw" and not "F&F: Hobbs and Shaw" ... so of course the style is different !! It is Hobbs and Shaw's styles !!! They are not drivers, they are not over-complicated-often-going-wrong thieves !! ... they are ACTION men !! One is a bulldozer, the other one a lets-get-to-it-then guy ! That is what the movie is giving = you KNOW what you get ! (that is why i like it) 2. It is good that they do say it is an F&F movie ... so you know at some point, it is going to be a mess, too much, out of logic, and getting too long. And because you know it ... you are NOT surprised when at some point - Helicopter Vs. Cars - it is exactly LIKE THAT: too much, out of logic, and too long (that is why i prefer to watch such movies at home => you can fast forward !!! :D ) 3. Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham (2 very famous action actors) provide us a movie with funny moments (pick yours), lots of action, a view of Samoa, and very diverse environments to let go of the adrenaline ... and doing so with some actor friends in it! What else do the 1 to 5 stars voters want ???

I do not like most of the F&F movies because of the "too much too stupid" parts, but i knew what to expect from this one (no Dominic and his team, some car chases, some over the top scenes) and i knew it was going to be too long some times ... that's why i don't go to the cinema to watch such movie - i know i would be disappointed by lonnnngggiiiinnnnngggg scenes and the "Oh come on!" moments - and i choose my wide screen computer instead where i can jump up the scenes i don't like ... suddenly the movie gets so much better !! And really, Hobbs and Shaw did not disappoint !! ... actually hoping to watch another one in the near future ;)
161 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venessa Kirby is gorgeous and so worth seeing along with the other goofballs
UniqueParticle14 August 2019
Action filled and perfect summer banter movie! Definitely one of the best Fast and Furious adaptations since the first 2 films, David Leitch is an incredible director and I love his style! I'm shocked their was only 1 other person the theater and he didn't even stay for the ending. I laughed a lot too; also it was in IMAX which is always great! I definitely would recommend this to anyone a fan of the series or not, it's still very entertaining.

Edit since this review is doing so well my name is Alex Nolan and I'd like to become very well known like Roger Ebert!!
238 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action Packed
gandhibrar5 October 2019
Great movie with alot of good action and nice story. Worth a watch if u like action movies.
190 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like expected,superb action flick!
tchitouniaram10 August 2019
Like expected,superb action flick! Any of the Rock or Statham movies never disappoint! For a die hard traditional action fans-a must see!
172 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's exactly what you want from an action film
simo158810 August 2019
Saw this film with no previous knowledge of past fast films. It was enjoyable to watch and the on screen chemistry of Hobbs and Shaw make for an enjoyable experience. A couple of 'continuity' issues in regards to time but it's an action film. If you get too hung up on that you will miss the action. Definitely a must see if you want to switch off and be entertained for two hours.
189 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Guys, villains, chases and explosions
Figgy66-915-59847012 August 2019
12 August 2019 First Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw. Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) form a dysfunctional partnership to save the world. What's not to like? Eye candy for the girls (and no doubt some of the boys) action for the boys (and the girls), a frankly ridiculous plot, nothing really new.....our heroes on a tight time schedule to save the world ...... but the whole thing works. Admit it, we love car chases, explosions, good guys, bad guys, the whole caboodle, it began with cowboys and Indians, took us into space fighting aliens and as long as there are writers to reinvent the whole time , our film industries around the world will continue to flourish and draw the audiences to the cinemas. This film was very watchable, and although directed by David Leitch the producers numbered one Statham and one Johnson. Idris Elba made an outstanding bad guy (I personally think he'd made a great Bond). Did the Fast and Furious title make me watch it.....probably, but it was a film on its own, not as compelling as the rest of the genre but a good watch nonetheless.
205 out of 246 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice film for a quiet evening
lorenzofracasso-6511710 August 2019
This is a nice film, it contains a lot of funny parts and the story isn't trivial. There are a lot of action scenes.
162 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
aseem-kc2012 August 2019
Hobbs and shaw..a spin off from FAF does true justice to its franchise..for some moment you will even think it has surpass standarization of FAF series..yes there are some ridiculous scenes but they will surely fascinate you in many ways..i admit there is no solid plot but whi cares when Johnson and Statham kick ass of antagonist together ..strongly recommended for action flick lover
182 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupidly unrealistic, funny and awesome
kfilippopoulou12 September 2019
There are things that can't be done no matter what, there is the sound of the transformers every time we see the bike, a mad max vibe but it is really funny, a lot of action and guys.. When u have Johnson, Elba and Statham... U got watch it and u have to like the movie 🤙
187 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoy
prairiewalker15 August 2019
Simply fun, and worth your time. A nice addition to the F&F genre.
186 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just do it!
ObviousCapitan2 September 2019
Man, don't trust the negative reviews. This film is full of action and it was a treat to watch in cinema. Some great laughs, cameos and epic stunts!
151 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow tons of fun
radszabat16 August 2019
Just seen it with my Gf and we both loved, tons of car chases, fighting, shooting great fun I really recommend it. There's real chemistry between main characters and you get few surprises like.... No spoilers here. There's few flaws of course but it's not important this is not this kind of movie. Go take popcorn and drinks and enjoy.
151 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overall satisfaction
l-7041715 August 2019
It's still a little commercial. But in line with the welcome experience of people in the context of new media.
159 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be labeled as a comedy
joshw179617 August 2019
So funny and will be Sequel. Totally not what I expected
183 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting, old-school and funny
yeolit21 October 2019
I guess this is what Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol was trying to achieve if it focuses more on comedy. The plot is kinda overused, however, the execution and the focus on family ties makes this series heartwarming at some points.

The comedy resulting from two loggerheads helped to soften the serious atmosphere from the early scenes which reeks of Terminator.

To be honest, the stunts really amazed me, even though some of it is reminiscent of earlier F&F series. What amazed me was that this movie combines F&F with more spy-related themes such as Mission Impossible and 007, yet it is still quite refreshing, and that's saying a lot, given how stunts and plots are largely similar throughout these kinds of films.

In conclusion, lots of stunts and great family fun.
113 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best spin off thriller !
saptesh78622 October 2019
This spin off is enjoyable ride and alike from previous Fast & Furious franchise. Casting is perfect all main four characters are well fitted in their roles. Action scenes are highlighted part of the movie. Climax action sequence of Helicopter with car and tractors is brilliantly created. It is worth to watch. Jason Statham is as he was always. Dwayne Johnson is also rocking Hobbs. Surprise is Vanessa Kirby she looks beautiful with stunning performance of dangerous kick ass sister of Shaw. Whereas Idris Elba played machine ghost perfectly. His bike trailing under long truck is just watchable sequence while chasing. As me movie is worth to watch for two sequence one chasing and another last climax. Recommended to watch for every action lovers and F&F fan that will get a new taste of this franchise.
125 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect for fast and furious fans
jonathanbekunda7 October 2019
Those who liked to see Hobbs do his thing as well as Shaw...this movie will definitely make them happy.
161 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Treat From Fast And Furious Team
itsactuallyamanda7 September 2019
Hobbs and Shaw was one of those movies from the first trailer that it seems interesting and indeed it was interesting. The ratio between drama, action and comedy made for a unique Fast And Furious film that could be enjoyed by all over and over again. The chemistry between Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham was shown once again and it made for a great film. The only thing that was not really enjoyable about this movie was that it did not really match with all the previous Fast and Furious films as there was not much car action in my opinion and I think the storyline could have been improved so that it matches the Fast and Furious story. Other than that, Hobbs and Shaw was very enjoyable and I already saw it twice but I would see it over and over again for sure.
132 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over the top action and comedy - MY FAV
kailyntacy13 September 2019
I have been a Fast & Furious fan since I saw the first movie. I loved when Dwayne Johnson joined the team, and I absolutely praise Jason Statham! So I was pumped for this movie. Vanessa Kirby is a gem and though she says she is not an action actor, she has proven herself wrong because it was phenomenal.

The constant bickering between Hobbs and Shaw was wonderful and I found myself laughing out loud throughout. I know the action is over the top, but that is what I look for when I watch any action movie. I want to see the over-the-top. This movie was on point! I saw it twice already!

Though I will always love the original Furious crew and those movies, I do so hope they continue the story with these characters.
198 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.