Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019) Poster

1,379 Reviews
Effective spin-off
Leofwine_draca25 October 2020
HOBBS & SHAW is the first spin-off from the FAST & FURIOUS franchise not to feature Vin Diesel, but it turns out you don't miss him at all. This is because the entire film consists of Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham engaging in verbal sparring and constant insults, some of which are pretty stupid, but many of which are witty. They certain sound good in the mouths of these two enthusiastic actors and they have a real camaraderie missing in many modern buddy-buddy comedies. Aside from these guys, you get a typically bombastic and unrealistic plotline involving Idris Elba's generic supervillain, a lot of globetrotting, and typically CGI enhanced vehicle chases. It's not remotely believable, but that doesn't really matter as this is all about OTT mayhem and humorous lines in between. Plenty of fight scenes add to the fun, although it's a shame about some of the performances, but generally this works.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fine until it's not
SnoopyStyle29 September 2019
Hattie (Vanessa Kirby) is a part of an MI6 team on a mission to secure a deadly programmable virus. They are attacked by the superpowered villain Brixton (Idris Elba). Sole survivor Hattie manages to escape and takes the virus with her by injecting the capsules into her hand. She is framed for the massacre and the thief of the world ending virus. The CIA recruits two outside operatives to retrieve her and the scientist who designed the virus. It's Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and Shaw (Jason Statham), and they don't like each other.

I like the first half. It's a fun superhero Avengers movie. The Rock and Statham have charisma to burn. Vanessa Kirby is intriguing and Idris Elba is a great actor. It seems set to be a fun ninety minutes popcorn movie. Somewhere along the line, the movie loses momentum and goes into slow motion action mode for the worst. I know exactly the moment. It's the torture scene. Like Brixton says, these guys are never going to turn. The whole exercise is futile. If the villains kidnapped Hobbs' daughter and figured out that Hattie is Shaw's sister, turning them may get interesting. The writing is never that smart.

As for being smart writing, I have an issue with the virus. The movie needs an opening scene where the MI6 team is introduced to virus. The virus needs exposition. Then I couldn't figure out why Hattie wouldn't simply cut off her hand and burn it. It kept nagging me for the rest of the movie. I know it's silly to nitpick this movie but it's annoying when an obvious solution is being ignored. Finally, two hours is way too long. Blowing up the evil base is plenty to close out the movie. It needs to end. This is not worth two hours. This movie is fine until it's not.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
Prismark1014 September 2021
With every movie studio needing a franchise these days.

Universal Pictures have expanded the Fast and Furious universe with Hobbs & Shaw.

It's a bloated mismatched buddy movie.

Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) are reluctantly put together by the CIA. The target is find a rogue agent called Hattie (Vanessa Kirby) who has stolen a virus.

It turns out that Hattie is Deckard's sister and she was framed by a cybernetic enhanced baddie called Brixton (Idris Elba.)

Brixton was once left for dead by Deckard. Now he is after Hattie. Deckard and Hobbs need to get the virus out of Hattie before it's too late and keep her safe from Brixton.

This is James Bond meets Lethal Weapon meets Terminator. There are comic cameos from Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds.

Hobbs and Shaw who started out as enemies in the Fast & Furious movies are now Frenemies. They bicker, argue and wind each other up.

Director David Leitch made his name in action films and here provides a lot of stupidly preposterous action sequences. Some go on for too long and get even more absurd. One example is all the vehicles all locking on to each other to try and bring down Brixton's helicopter.

The CGI is obvious in places but there is a lot of kinetic energy that pads out the flimsy story. Undemanding fun that goes on for too long.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never as exciting or fun as the trailers, or as it needed to be to carry the length - but still amiable enough distraction
bob the moo16 August 2020
Although the title is cumbersome and long, it is good to be reminded that this is a Fast & Furious spin-off, because it does keep you in the mindset of what you are walking into. Like those films, this one exists in a world of fast cars, gorgeous woman, unrealistic superman antics, and big macho stars. Hobbs & Shaw continue that in a pairing that lacks logic (as it has before) and in a plot that defies any attempt to make it make sense narratively. It doesn't really matter though because the plot is only a thin excuse to hang a series of set-pieces across a 145-minute running time. These set-pieces range from action to banter, often having them flick between or bookend each other.

It is fine - not much more though. Like all trailers, the marketing did it better - although they did show the whole film in the trailer, like so many do. Delivered with great editing, music, brevity, and no concerns for filling time, the trailer is slick, punchy, fun, and has great action. The same material spread over a much longer film doesn't work quite as well; more of it doesn't work as well as other bits, some of it feels unnecessary, and the character-driven elements feel forced and cloying. The chemistry between the stars just about carries it, even though both the male leads feel a little like they are on autopilot (Statham was lucky not to pull a muscle in his face with all the cockney sneering and side-talking he does). They have fun dialogue though, and when that works then it produces fun and gives the viewer permission to just enjoy it and not take it seriously (unlike the family, cloying stuff). Kirby is really enjoyable - not always served with the best lines, and having to carry too much of the weak plot, but she is a strong presence in the action and comedy. Elba is effortlessly cool, despite the silly character. He has real swagger and it is only a shame he doesn't have more dialogue scenes. Of the various starry cameos, some work and some don't, but you take them as you find them. Action is well put together and is noisy fun, with the usual F&F downside that the tension is not really there because so little of it has real stakes or weight.

It is dumb distracting fun though, and it was enough to distract. It does run longer than it needed to, has parts that don't fizz or spark as they were intended to, and the usual excess of these movies - but the stars and the production values lift it to be more than it is.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Move like Mick Jagger
nogodnomasters3 August 2019
Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) is forced to team up with Shaw (Jason Statham) to save the world for the fifth time. Hobb's sister (Vanessa Kirby) is MI6 and suspected of murder and stealing a deadly programmable virus. They must find her and go after the real bad guys which include Brixton (Idris Elba) who is now a cyborg, i.e. a "Black Superman."

The film had its usual comedic banter. The helicopter scene was beyond Mythbusters. An enjoyable film with appearances by Helen Mirren, Kevin Hart, Ryan Reynolds, and Eddie Marsa. Hints at a sequel.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity
57 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
kosmasp21 October 2019
That is a bit what the two stars are supposed to be. Though don't ask me who is who - if you insist I'd say Statham is the unstoppable force and Dwayne the immovable object. Which would make sense, since he is the Rock ... Ok kidding aside now, we know this unlikely team made waves in the last Fast and Furious movie andwas the best thing about it. At least the funniest thing about it.

So if you liked that and you came for more of the same, you will be treated that way. And you should not expect anything other than just silly action and all that accompanies that. Idris Elba has quite the appearance early on, but cannot add to that after that. He is just a stepping stone - I'm being a bit unfair. He has quite a few moments. Still overall you might be a bit disappointed in his character - but an obvious continuation of Hobbs and Shaw might shed some light on that (who am I kidding it made enough money for them to continue with this)
96 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Well, who needs a drink?"
classicsoncall20 February 2020
I never got myself motivated enough to catch a 'Fast and Furious' flick, but this film might put me in that direction. I like The Rock and Jason Statham, and even though they play off each other as adversaries in this story, they have an engaging chemistry that makes them likeable enough, especially with the wise guy banter between them. The story itself is one of those 'stop the villain before he destroys the world' capers, but it's made fun and entertaining with the non-stop action, crazy stunts and the super egos of both protagonists. I'm of a mind to consider a couple of the vehicle stunts in this picture as about the best I've ever seen, particularly the one in which Deckard Shaw (Statham) barely clears his car beneath a trailer with the villain Brixton (Idris Elba) following close behind on motorcycle. Not an inch of room to spare on that one. Then there's that impossibly mind blowing escapade with the four trucks chained to the helicopter careening along the edge of a cliff to set up the movie's finale. Impressive too are the performances of Vanessa Kirby as Shaw's sister Hattie, Ryan Reynolds, and a hilarious Kevin Hart as air marshal Dinkley. Don't put too much stock in the credibility of the story, that's not what you sign up for with a film like this. Just settle back and enjoy the ride.

Say, wait a minute - Locke and Loeb?
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'The Rock' and 'The Stath' make this a must see for action fans
Tweekums4 July 2021
This spin off from the main 'Fast & Furious' series sees characters Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw forced to work together when a deadly programmable virus is stolen in London. The virus has been acquired by Hattie Shaw, Deckard's sister, who injected it into herself to prevent cyber enhanced terrorist Brixton Lore getting his hands on it. The authorities believe she is the terrorist. If she is to be saved, and a deadly plague prevented Hobbs and Shaw will have to put their differences aside, find Hattie and extract the virus before it activates in her body. This will see then travelling from London to Russia to Ukraine and finally to Hobbs's home in Samoa; all the time Lore and his associates are close behind.

I had a feeling this might be something special for action fans... having Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham makes a must see. They have a great chemistry as their characters insult each other and generally bicker and fight. Of course they also deliver in the numerous action sequences. Also impressing are Idris Elba, as Lore, and Vanessa Kirby, as Hattie... both hold their own in their action scenes. The action is nicely varied with fights, shoot-outs, vehicular chases and explosions. In the gaps in the action there are plenty of laughs to be had. If there is a weak point I thought things slowed down a little too much when they got to Samoa and we get slightly mawkish dialogue about the importance of family; this is a fairly minor quibble though. Overall I'd say this is a really good addition to the over the top action genre... definitely one to watch.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's next? Spaceships? A dragon?
BA_Harrison18 August 2019
Hobbs and Shaw (Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham) reluctantly join forces to try and find Shaw's sister Hattie (Vanessa Kirby), who is carrying a deadly virus in her bloodstream that will become active in 72 hours. Also trying to track down Hattie is technologically enhanced villain Brixton (Idris Elba), who intends to use the virus to cleanse the Earth of the weak.

With every subsequent Fast & Furious movie, the franchise has steered further and further away from its street racing roots, becoming more and more like any other mega-budget action series: full of incredible stunts, massive explosions and hard-hitting fights. Spin-off Hobbs & Shaw sees the F&F universe enter science fiction and fantasy territory: sci-fi because of the futuristic technology involved (which includes a transformer style motorbike ridden by its cyborg villain), and fantasy because of the impossible nature of the stunts which defy all the laws of physics. Oh, and a Samoan mechanic has the know-how to fix a high-tech computerised gizmo, the likes of which he would never have seen before. Magic has got to be involved somewhere!

The crazy action includes the following: a high speed chase through the streets of London during which both a car and the super-bike slide under not one but two moving trucks; an armoured buggy doing a 360 degree roll through the air, landing on the roof of a building; and an extremely silly finalé in which several vehicles are daisy-chained together to prevent a helicopter from escaping. It's cheesy over-the-top blockbuster nonsense designed to be as outrageously daft as possible, and might be reasonably fun, if it wasn't for the endless, supposedly comedic banter between its two stars, which results in a bloated runtime of well over two hours -- far too long for a film of this type.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
F&F spinoff, Hobbs and Shaw must cooperate to save the world.
TxMike11 January 2020
My wife and I watched this at home on BluRay from our public library. When it was over we both said "That was entertaining."

Dwayne Johnson, the American as Hobbs and Jason Statham, the Brit as Shaw, were both in prior Fast and Furious movies. Here they must form a team, very difficult since they seem to detest each other, but the fate of the world is literally at stake. They must recover an engineered virus before the radical gang gets it.

One of the entertaining scenes is when Hobbs and Shaw were arguing, at 30,000 feet during a flight, when Kevin Hart (in real life good friend of Johnson) comes into the aisle as an Air Marshall to calm them down. Hart had flown overnight from his gig in Houston to be in London to shoot this cameo.

That is in a way indicative of the whole movie. While it involves some really bad guys and lots of shooting, at its core it is just a comedy. The action is fantastic, meaning so over the top that I found myself laughing out loud at the absurdity. But the acting is good comedy, Johnson and Statham have such screen presence that they make the movie enjoyable.

Just a fun movie, it is amazing to see what situations the filmmakers think up and what they go through to transfer that to film. Of course the actors are getting paid $10Million to $20Million so there's that!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best movie in the "Fast & Furious" franchise...
paul_haakonsen20 September 2019
Initially I had some reluctance about sitting down to watch this 2019 addition to the "Fast & Furious" franchise. I mean, fast cars and ludicrous over-the-top racing is just not exactly my cup of tea. But still, the movie had Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson and Idris Elba on the cast list, so of course I had to sit down and watch it.

Turns out that as soon as they took out Vin Diesel from the equation, the movie was a whole other experience. This 2019 movie was actually the best movie in the entire franchise thus far.

There is an abundance of action in the movie, to the point where it is outweighing the fast and shiny cars. And that was a definite plus in my book. I watch the movies for the action, not the vehicles. And as for the storyline, well this is a "Fast & Furious" movie, so plot, script and storyline is not going to be any work of Shakespearian caliber.

The movie runs at just over two hours, which was a little bit on the heavy side, because it felt like you were sitting through a four hour movie. Don't get me wrong, because the movie is good and entertaining, but two hours of non-stop action and fighting gets a bit chewy to get through towards the end.

The dialogue in the movie, while not being particularly groundbreaking, was actually a fun enough injection of nitro for the audience. I am sure that the banter and headbutting between Statham and Johnson might not be just everyone's cup of tea; but I sure enjoyed it.

Now, the part of the storyline with an organization wanting to make people into cyborgs for a better New World Order seemed a bit far fetched and was actually cheesy. And having Brixton (played by Idris Elba) as an über cyborg was just hilarious in a campy and goofy way. While it wasn't realistic, it sure made for some good, wholesome action movie entertainment.

The visual effects department really was productive and they brought the movie to life in a very pleasing manner. The entire movie was just visually great to sit through.

"Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw" is definitely a movie well worth investing 2 hours in watching. I am rating it seven out of ten stars.
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
BandSAboutMovies9 August 2020
We did it! We made it through an entire week of Fast & Furious movies and let me tell you, we saved the best for last. This is a big, dumb, ridicuous and way too overblown action movie and I have to confess, I loved every single minute of it.

It was directed by David Leitch, whose first time directing was John Wick. He's since made Atomic Blonde and Deadpool 2. Before that, he appeared in some action films of his own, such as Ninja Assassin, The Mechanic remake and as Terry Bogard in the movie version of the video game The King of Fighters.

Vanessa Kirby is the person who brings the action together. She plays Shaw's sister Hattie, an MI6 agent who has been infected with a Snowflake virus that a terrorist group known as Eteon wants. They are led by an unseen commander and his henchman Brixton Lore (Idris Elba), a cyborg that has a past history with Deckard (Jason Statham). And Deckard, well, he has to learn to work with Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson).

If you look closely enough, Brixton has a Weyland Corporation symbol on his shoulder. So...will there be xenomorphs in the next film?

That director was supposed to be played by Keanu Reeves. The voice is supposedly Ryan Reynolds, who also appears in this movie as CIA agent Victor Locke. The name in the credits is Champ Nightingale", which Reynolds has used in a fake Amazon review for his Aviation American Gin.

Beyond meeting more of Shaw's family, Hobbs goes back to his homeland and we discover his brothers Jonah (Cliff Curtis, Once Were Warriors) and Mateo (WWE star Roman Reigns, who Johnson considers a cousin). Jason Mamoa was also supposed to be in this, but Johnson has promised that it will happen in the next movie.

Eiza González from Alita: Battle Angel and Baby Driver (as well as Satanico Pandemonium in the TV version of From Dusk to Dawn) is in this, too. She plays Madame M, a former associate of Shaw who helps them break into the terrorist's base.

You know, for being in a G.I. Joe film, Johnson made a way better version of it with this movie. He loves this role, as you can tell, and even named his French bulldog - who shows up in he beginning - after his character.
An enjoyable blockbuster
Gordon-1111 January 2020
This spin off is an enjoyable blockbuster. It has a lot of fights, beautiful locations and really cool action scenes. The scene involving a helicopter and several cars is really jaw dropping.
Ok
bevo-1367831 March 2020
Only ok but it makes up for lack of plot by having kevin hart in it
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hooray for the folically challenged.....
CinemaSerf10 December 2019
A good old fashioned end-to-end action movie. The script is irrelevant, it's about loads of pyrotechnics, special effects and not a lot else. Who cares? Idris Elba is clearly in his element as the baddie against the F&F equivalent of dumb and dumber - Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham - who are also having fun and it is contagious. It is way, way, too long, but there is certainly some charisma on the screen and where else will you still see a bow and arrow and an axe in a fight these days?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above-Average Spin-Off Epic
zardoz-136 September 2019
Villains make a movie memorable. If the villains are smart, you've got "Die Hard." If the villains are stupid, you've got a comedy. A stand-alone spinoff of the "Fast & The Furious" franchise, "Hobbs & Shaw" suffers from mediocre villains with too much money. These villains shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly from fade-in to fadeout. Basically, our heroes worry more about the ticking clock than these anemic adversaries. The sloppy villains spoil half of the fun in this white-knuckled, high-octane, adrenalin-fueled race against time to avert a global apocalypse. Brawny action icons Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and Jason Statham reunite as heroic co-stars in this exciting but implausible science fiction escapade. Johnson and Statham deliver adversarial charisma as they compete with Idris Elba in this overblown, 137-minute, PG-13 rated, demolition derby. Our heroes must thwart an evil United Kingdom corporation named Eteon from recovering its own bio-engineered super virus. Benignly codenamed 'Snowflake, the virus liquidifies your internal organs. Surprisingly, apart from celebrating family unity, this souped-up apocalyptic outing shares little connection with the Vin Diesel franchise. Although Johnson and Statham reprise their roles from "The Fate of the Furious" (2017), you need not have seen "Fate." "Atomic Blonde" director David Leitch & "47 Ronin" writer Chris Morgan, with "Iron Man 3" scribe Drew Pearce have rehabilitated Statham's Shaw character. Polishing off his rough, abrasive edges makes Shaw more sympathetic. Diplomatic Security Service agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson of "Skyscraper") and soldier of fortune Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham of "Crank") abhor each other. The C.I.A. dragoons them into an uneasy alliance. Meanwhile, Eteon's cybernetic super-soldier, Brixton Lore (Idris Elba of "Pacific Rim"), tracks down the stolen CT-17 virus. Not only must Brixton contend with Hobbs and Shaw, but also Shaw's sister Hattie (Vanessa Kirby of "Jupiter Ascending"), an intelligent, resourceful British MI6 field agent. Actually, as the leading lady, Hattie doesn't typify your traditional damsel-in-distress. Providentially, British MI6 had intercepted the Eteon plague before the villains could deploy it. After Brixton single-handedly eliminates her five-man unit, Hattie has no option but to embed the doomsday virus in her bloodstream! No sooner has Hattie stolen the virus than Hobbs' nabs her. While our quarrelsome trio struggle to evade Brixton, Hattie develops a fondness for Hobbs, much to Shaw's chagrin.

"Hobbs & Shaw" crosses genres from gravity-defying car stunts into sci-fi absurdity. Director David Leitch and his writers trot out many familiar tropes from earlier doomsday sagas, such as "The Satan Bug" (1965), "The Cassandra Crossing" (1976), and "Shaker Run" (1985). Even if these clichés lack appeal to you, Johnson and Statham have a field day amusing us with their endless verbal repartee. A wrestling match in every respect, "Hobbs & Shaw" has our hot-tempered heroes egging each other on with hilarious insults. Some will discover sooner than others that "Hobbs & Shaw" amounts to little more than a game of one-upmanship, with our heroes spending more time fighting against each other than their collective foes. Like any good wrestling match, "Hobbs & Shaw" builds to a crescendo, with a Samoan faceoff where our heroes regroup for the big finale. Estranged from his family for many years because of a criminal patriarch, Hobbs approaches his Samoan clan with contrition so he can enlist their aid. Armed with nothing more than a flip-flop, the grand Hobbs matriarch Sefina (Lori Pelenise Tuisano) rushes to Luke's defense when her huge family refuses to help him. Later, she is ecstatic when Hobbs introduces her to Sam (newcomer Eliana Sua), her nine-year old granddaughter.

The chief flaw in "Hobbs & Shaw" is its error prone antagonists. The formidable and affluent Eteon Corporation with its huge army is reminiscent of billionaire owner Carlton Drake's corporation in "Venom" (2018). Like the Drake corporation, Eteon espouses a similar agenda: humanity must undergo augmentation. Although the man behind Eteon sounds every bit as ominous as Darth Vader, Leitch and his writers never reveal the dastard in the flesh, and this undercuts his omniscience. Instead, Brixton serves as Eteon's point man, and he commands legions of disposable black-clad henchmen. Brixton careens around on a bizarre motorcycle which resembles a Decepticon from a "Transformers" movie because it can alter itself physically. Sheathed in a bulletproof body suit, Brixton boasts electronically enhanced eyesight so he can duck each blow before Hobbs and Shaw can land them. A glimpse of his cybernetics when he submits to a painful upgrade is intriguing. Literally, the technicians have to split open Brixton's back to tinker his metallic spine. Egotistically, Brixton hails himself 'the future of mankind. After building up Brixton as an indestructible, Eteon treats him as expendable. Why wasn't Brix guarding the plague device in the first place?

As in "Deadpool," "John Wick," and "Atomic Blond," Leitch indulges his wizardry as a grand master of chaotic pyrotechnics. He stages dozens of wildly improbable stunts. One of the first has Brix miraculously weaving his shape-shifting smart-cycle beneath the churning wheels of two eighteen wheelers as they crisscross in front of him at a London intersection. Later, Brix crashes through a London double-decker bus and creates two gigantic holes in the vehicle. Naturally, Brix suffers nary a scratch, and no passengers were injured. Brix may remind you of the bungling Wily E. Coyote in the Roadrunner cartoons as he survives one calamity after another. Leitch saves the best stunt for the finale when Brix's helicopter winds up towing a string of cars along a winding cliffside road. Idris Elba makes a memorable villain. Motormouth Kevin Hart springs up in a cameo as a nosy sky marshal who wants a piece of the action. Luke's former partner Locke (Ryan Reynolds of "Deadpool") annoys him before and after the mission with his goofy antics. The scene following the end credits is sidesplitting stuff, especially Locke's B-positive gag. Happily, the incompetent villains in "Hobbs & Shaw" aren't big enough to overshadow Leitch's audacious stunts and the wattage of the Rock, Statham, and Idris Elba.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun
neil-47614 August 2019
A clandestine organisation is thwarted in its attempt to obtain a genetically programmable virus when a female MI6 operative escapes with it, at considerable risk to herself. Cybernetically enhanced superpsycho team leader Brixton slaughters her team, framing her for their murder. CIA muscleman Hoobs and renegade Brit operative Shaw are recruited by their respective sides and teamed to recover the virus despite their mutual antagonism.

The chemistry between Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham led to this movie, which looks like being the first episode in a franchise within a franchise. It has little to do with F&F other than that the two characters first met there, and the family theme is maintained. Instead, the two protagonists/mutual antagonists go off on a spy-type caper sent in London and Samoa, with a number of chases and set pieces (at least one of which is as implausible as anything in the F&F movies), lots of fights, and a suitably unbeatable baddie in Idris Elba's Brixton (I do wish he would stop saying "wiv" instead of "with", though).

The best thing about this is, indeed, the chemistry between the two leads. The antagonism mixed with grudging respect and growing affection is very believable and the script, while not Shakespeare, is very enjoyable, with some funny zingers in it.

Vanessa Kirby as the MI6 girl is likeable and combines vulnerability and bad-assedness well. Helen Mirren returns, and there are a couple more unbilled and uncredited cameos which are more than amusing.

This is the sort of film which gives "Popcorn movie" a good name.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SOBS
view_and_review5 August 2019
I knew that there was a good chance I wasn't going to like this movie. I didn't even watch the last 45 Fast and Furiouses because I'm not a fan of the franchise but, I saw Idris Elba and thought, "maybe it'll be worth it this time." And when I say worth it I don't mean an Academy Award winning movie, I simply mean I'll be adequately entertained.

No. it wasn't worth it.

There were plenty of explosions, fights, bullets, and death defying stunts--I take that back--physics defying stunts. And there were plenty of jump cuts to make the most impossible maneuvers seem possible. I only like that stuff with conditions.

The most important condition is that it has to be within the realm of possibility or the movie has to be sci-fi/fantasy. The absurd stunts done by Idris Elba's character made sense. He was a technologically enhance human being. He was superhuman for all intents and purposes. The rest of the characters on the other hand--meaning Hobbs, Shaw, and Hattie (Veronica Kirby)--there was no reasonable explanation of how or why they could do the things they did.

This movie is pure mind-numbing entertainment. This movie is more for the adrenalin junkie. There's non-stop action, a lot of muscles, a lot of machines, and even some cute girls. The few times the movie does pause for some character development or exposition it was so clumsy I thought that they better get back to the action because I can see the audience coming down from their high.

Not to fear though because Hobbs and Shaw were there to give the audience another shot of drool-inducing action in the form of Harry Potter level magic stunts. You know when the heroes say that it's impossible to do something that they'll do it. It's standard protocol but they have to say that to prep the audience to be amazed. If the heroes said that the task at hand would be very difficult, well then, anyone can accomplish that. But impossible! Only them, the heroes, after they've convinced you they will die trying.

It wasn't all bad though. Cameos by Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart added some real entertainment. So, even though it wasn't all bad it was mostly bad. The whole movie was SOBS (Standard Operating B.S.). There's no real fear the heroes would fail unless you've never seen a F&F movie before. Come on, they have to put out another 20 of these.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shaw and Hobbs.
morrison-dylan-fan2 August 2019
From The Rock Bottom done in Furious 7's opening,I've been hoping to see The Rock & The Stath team-up alone. Going to the IMAX at Manchester Printworks, (second biggest screen in Europe)I got set for Hobbs and Shaw's fast and furious team-up.

View on the film:

First in the franchise since Fast & Furious 2 ( 2003!) to not be solely written by Chris Morgan, co-writer Drew Pearce joins returning Morgan,and brings a new Sci-Fi element which neatly fits in, thanks to Brixton's superpowers (and bike) heightening the glorious frantic Action, spinning chase sequences where Brixton gets knocked down,but gets up again to drive through buses and under trucks. Packing Hobbs and Shaw with (intentionally) funny buddy cop-style snappy dialogue, the writers continue the F&F theme of "family" by going into their family history, leading to a sweet bonding of the duo,when Hobbs returns home.

Bringing the neon lights which made their Atomic Blonde (2017-also reviewed) shine, director David Leitch reunites with cinematographer Jonathan Sela and brings a terrific gritty clarity to the hand to hand combat scenes, as Leitch holds the wide-shot to allow each fighting move to be cleanly seen,and then goes for the close-up when the knock-out punch is unleashed. Changing gears to drive the set-pieces home, Leitch fully embraces the utterly bonkers, from sky dives with no parachutes and a epic Hobbs's family V Brixton's henchmen, to a military chopper being pulled down with one chain.

The newest members of the "family" Idris Elba (The Elba!) and Vanessa Kirby (The Kirby!) (along with fun cameos) give wonderful turns,with Elba giving Brixton a menacing snarl,and Kirby bringing a urgency to Hattie,which keeps the mission on edge. Building on their past chemistry, The Stath & The Rock give splendid performances as Hobbs and Shaw, thanks to The Rock's sarcastic put-downs and furious body slams, being a perfect match for The Stath's British slang gags and brutal take-downs, driving Hobbs and Shaw to a new mission.
64 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A champagne problem.....
FlashCallahan20 August 2019
This film is a divider, you're either going to love it, or you are just going to dismiss the fact that this film exists.

Ever since the dawning of the F and F franchise, each film has become more ridiculous as the budget and the stars have got bigger. The first film was about stealing DVD players, and now we have a bad guy who is enhanced by technology, a kind of Robocop/Terminator with a little G.I Joe thrown in for good measure, and it just never lets up until the final one liner.

Ever since Hobbs and Shaw first faced off, they have swapped smack talk and body blows as they've tried to take each other down.

When cyber-genetically enhanced anarchist Brixton gains control of an insidious bio-threat that could alter humanity forever - and bests a brilliant and fearless rogue MI6 agent, who just happens to be Shaw's sister - these two enemies must partner up to bring down their seemingly invincible foe.

If you were a fan of the buddy-cop sub genre that was rife in the eighties and nineties, then this has nostalgia written all over it. It resembles 1989's Tango and Cash more than any other film, as that film was purely tongue in cheek, never took itself seriously, and the stars were happy to send themselves up to get a laugh and to enhance the nonsensical narrative.

Statham and Johnson are clearly having lots of fun making this, and the first and final act are clearly the best parts of the film. When the pair are doing their separate things, it falters in the second act, which is a shame, because Elba's 'bad guy' is a true cinematic villain, full of speeches, protuberance, and envy, all the makings of a brilliant antagonist.

Add a couple of wonderful cameos, and Hobbs and Shaw is a fun action film that throws everything at the screen, hoping that something will stick, and most of it does.

It's a shame that most of the tentpole set pieces were offloaded on the spolierific trailers, but that really doesn't matter, as the final confrontation is pretty visceral and inventive, and one wishes fro once that it maybe would have been enhanced by the medium of 3D.

The film references The Rock, Escape from New York, G.I. Joe, The Terminator, and even Transformers in places, but it delivers exactly what you'd expect, a testosterone fuelled adventure that demands you take it with a big pinch of salt and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Lots of fun, and instantly forgettable.
110 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An escape from reality - or not...
gradyharp26 May 2020
Strange time for this Fast & Furious presentation, an action comedy with the 'enemy' being a virus meant to eradicate the world to prepare for evolution!!!! The theme may initially offend some viewers, but forget about the current pandemic for a couple of hours and ride this fast escape into wild entertainment.

There is not a whole lot of plot - just a 'bad guy' (Idris Elba) touting a virus meant to alter the populace of the globe to prepare for further manifestations of his 're-invented' mechanical and indestructible self. The 'good guys' of the title are lawman Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and outcast Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) along with Shaw's duplicitous sister Hattie (Vanessa Kirby) and jailed mother Queenie (Helen Mirren) - and Hobb's daughter Sam (Eliana Sua). Along the way we meet mad scientist Professor Andreiko (Eddie Marsan), Eteon Director (Ryan Reynolds - at his best with quips and tongue in cheek dialogue), Air Marshall Dinkley (Kevin Hart) and a mass of Hobb's Samoan family.

It's all a matter of fighting and explosions and derring-do, much of which seems in place to honor CGI artists, but it works - because it is at once silly, entertaining and - at this moment in time with COVID-19, poignant. This is a fine diversion while we are in that stay at home status.
nothing to do with F&F
trashgang1 October 2019
So with the F&F in th etitle I was expecting something completely different. Okay, we all know that there are troubles between the actors of the F&F franchise but why o why do they have to use F&F in the title?

Is it because they are using the names like in F&F? Whatever, it took me a while to get over it because no fast cars or whatsoever. What you get is in your face action. Top notch special effects and a not so believable story. Acting is what you can expect for such a macho flicks. Still after a while I was into it and liked it but naturally it's one of those flicks that once seen you will forget immediately. Pure action, not the Mission Impossible style or Bond style.

Still I have some mixed feelings about it. And for the WWE geeks, Roman Reigns is in it too

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 4/5 Story 2,5/5 Comedy 0/5
The bastard child of F&F and The Expendables
siderite25 October 2019
You get the charismatic meat heads, you get the hot lady, you have the geeky scientist and the evil villain that fights against humanity. It's a team up thing, and it occasionally has cars, and there are a lot of punches and things hitting faces and some scenes with Deadpool in them and many red shirt StarTrek guys. It's fun, even when you know it's completely stupid, that physics doesn't work like that, that when you identify with the strong champions of humanity who protect the weak, the makers of the film identify you with the weak, and they are right. Mass media doesn't work like that, weapons don't work like that. Hell, women don't work like that. Viruses don't work like that.

Bottom line: occasionally funny, lots of testosterone, no sense whatsoever, two hours long.
Fast & Furious Firsts
thesar-215 January 2020
This first Fast & Furious spin-off is the first Fast & Furious I loved, the first I'd consider watching a second time and first I want to buy.

I had an absolute blast watching this action comedy. Now, it's not perfect, had way too many "NO" moments (more later) and it's absolutely not a Mission: Impossible/John Wick contender, but it is the very best Fast & Furious film out there. By a landslide.

In a movie that knows what it is from the get-go, we're set on a mission from two fighting muscle men who must put aside their differences to save one of the action star's sister from a deadly virus meant to wipe out the "weak" members of society and "restore order" amongst humanity.

I love the Rock. I love Jason Statham. And I love Idris Elba...in other movies (here, I just hated him as the bad guy.) But, I mostly loved Vanessa Kirby. She was the real star of this feature, despite the title "heroes."

While she was fairly good in Mission: Impossible - Fallout, she was absolutely fantastic here and stole every scene. Funny. In a series that got me hooked again thanks to the always wonderful Charlize Theron, it took a little-known actress to get me re-energized in the franchise. I can't wait to see more of her.

This movie had incredible action, so much comedy and a tad bit heart, I was onboard from minute one and I never let go. As stated, I do wish to buy and see this again after finally getting Fandango to work so I could rent it tonight.

Now, for fans of the series this spawned from, you will have PLENTY moments of "NO, NO, NO!" in other words, crazy action/stunts that would never, ever happen in real life. I did see most of those and as much as I was having fun for 95% of the film, I kept saying: "NO, NO, NO!" throughout.

Didn't stop me from enjoying the fun. I would HIGHLY recommend this movie and mercifully: You do NOT have to see ANY of the other mostly mediocre Fast & Furious films to enjoy this gem. Well done writers for that.

***

Final thoughts: Since I have NOT seen a single Fast & Furious movie twice, but I have seen them all, this list is gonna be from memory. Enjoy!

From Best to Worst - the Fast & Furious Franchise: 1 Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 2 Fast Five 3 Fast & Furious 6 4 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift 5 2 Fast 2 Furious 6 The Fast and the Furious 7 The Fate of the Furious 8 Furious 7 9 Fast & Furious
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i don't understand the love
FeastMode12 August 2019
I am frustrated. Partly with how bad this movie turned out to be. But mostly with the reception. 7.0 IMDB, 89% RT audience rating. All of the following reviewers gave positive reviews: jeremy jahns, schmoes, austin burke, sean chandler, john campea. I DON'T UNDERSTAND. This movie was bad on so many levels. And for all of these reviewers to say, oh well you know what your getting into, this is the way this franchise is... are you serious? There is a limit. There is an extent to the disbelief we can suspend.

Listen, i am normally the one who tells my friends, "you are taking the movie too seriously. It may not be a 'good movie' but it's extremely entertaining, awesome and bad-ass." i have said this multiple times about most of the fast & furious movies specifically. I am totally fine with not taking a movie seriously and enjoying it for what it is. And for reference, here are my fast & furious ratings.

(1) original 8/10... (2) 2 fast 7/10... (3) tokyo drift 3/10... (4) fast & furious 7/10... (5) fast 5 - 8/10... (6) fast & furious 6 - 8/10... (7) furious 7 - 4/10... (8) fate 8/10...

i love this franchise. I'm okay with a little over the top. But people, that doesn't mean anything goes. That doesn't mean you can turn this into a cartoon. I always say the best action movies toe the line between improbable and impossible. To quote joey from friends, "you're so far past the line that you can't even see the line! The line is a dot to you!" lmao.

For all these reviewers to basically forgive the vast amount of sheer stupidity in this movie is a slap in the face to the rest of this franchise. I can't believe not a single one of them called it out for what it is, a stain on this franchise.

Are we reverting to 90s action movie absurdity? PLEASE DON'T. Almost every 90s action movie is straight trash. It was almost like it wanted to be one of those, throw realism out the window and let's go insane movies, like Shoot Em Up (which i love). But this cinematic universe has already been set up. None of the previous movies fit in that "insane" category.

This is similar to what happened to me with furious 7. I was really disappointed while everyone else loved it. But it's SIGNIFICANTLY better than this movie. And while i thought it crossed the believability threshold, this movie nuked the threshold. For the first time in the franchise, a movie can and should be labelled in the sci-fi or superhero genre.

To the movie itself. I enjoyed the four leads very much. Continued chemistry between hobbs and shaw. Idris elba is always awesome. And vanessa kirby severely outperformed the material given to her. The cameos were great. There were lots of funny parts. But there were also lots of failed attempts at humor.

This movie is FILLED with dumbness. I can make fun of so many things specifically, but this would turn into a full blown essay. Other than the action being absurd and cartoonish, most of it wasn't even good. There aren't any memorable action scenes. Most of it was hard to follow. Choppy with lots of quick cuts. The story was nothing. The editing was questionable. And something i never normally noticed, but the scene transitions just felt off. This is not a well-put-together movie.

Example of why this movie is poorly made. I am always able to have a general feel of where i am in a movie, ie. Middle act, climax, conclusion, etc. I went into this movie knowing the runtime. And yet during a major action sequence in the middle of the movie, i was almost certain it was the climax, the movie was almost over, and the calmer scene following is the wrap-up scene. I was shocked when i realized the wrap-up scene turned out to be the beginning of the third act. The movie was nowhere near finished (45 minutes remaining). I don't know what they did wrong, but they did something wrong. I really can't believe that happened. Then we get a really long character building scene out of the blue. Followed by more absurdity

i hated the entire third act. They tried to force-feed us some heart after 2 heartless acts. I was cringing or shaking my head throughout. The best part is when, in the middle of a life-threatening, nay, world-threatening situation, hobbs decides to put a shirt on.

EDIT: i'm a sucker for watching series i love in order. Before F9 i watched the entire franchise including the ones i didn't like. I bumped tokyo drift from 2 stars to 3 and furious 7 from 3 stars to 4. With both i felt like they were slightly less bad than i remembered.

I got to hobbs and shaw. Man i really hate this movie a lot. I knew it was bad but i feel like i was being too nice the first time. There are still a few things i like (mentioned above), but this movie is so awful. I dropped it from a 3 to a 2. Yes, that means i think it's worse than tokyo drift.

Everything looks and feels fake. Most of the action is crap. Why are we watching superheroes? Why does a really great car mechanic know how to fix state-of-the-art never-before-seen biological equipment? This movie angers me. I really hope F9 follows the world created before this garbage. (2 viewings, 6/23/2021)
105 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.