Champions (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

Nice movie, nice crew & a good message
realart_ds20 April 2018
In the ironic world in which we live today, where the rights for all should be something common and accepted, where discrimination should be a word forgotten by the past, we realize that for nothing sexual,gender rights or worst in basic human rights as being able to be treated the same regardless of physical aspects or medical differences, the human is still being unable to treat the others as he would like to be treated himself .

In this film we see this reality, but we also see how that assumption we always make in the face of what others can and can not do ends up being wrong.

The improvement and achievements that for some do not seem to be the great thing, for many is an epic achievement.

This film is not only well done in the film aspect, it also gave in the background aspect a lesson , that I hope many apply in their lives.

Not always the best movies have implicit the great effects, famous actors, and millionaire budgets, in this case the casting was perfect choice, the touch that the protagonists in real life are people with "mental disability", and I think they should be an example for many actors that today are more divas than what they act, the movie gave us also a script well taken, turns in to a comedy that takes you to the joy at times, (not simple laughs) and that true feeling sensation , and a very good direction that I think has merits that I hope the academy and the public in general can recognize.

For last ,remember we all are the same ............HUMANS, the movies should be this, something inclusive, as everything else should be

A movie that has to be seen by everyone, 100% enjoyable and to have a good time at the cinema

EN HORABUENA JAVIER FESSER
31 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's good to be predictable when your focus is your message
francescgo8 September 2018
This tender and beautifully made movie is quite obvious and predictable. But it is worth to sacrifice originality when your goal is to focus in the moral message. And this movie has a strong an powerful moral message, so overwhelming that it makes you feel almost like in a church listening a sermon of an old and good hearted priest. It is like 2 hours of visual Aesop greek fables where the characters, instead of animals, are archetypical humans. The most important critic is to our own Spanish history: the National Basketball team cheated in the Paralympic Games of Sydney 2000, because 10 out of 12 of our basketball players did not have any mental disability. They won the gold medal, but they had to return it afterwards. Also the film showcases the extraordinary negative consequences of hyper protective parenthood in raising narcissistic people, completely immature in their 30s an 40s to the point that they can not endure the risks and challenges of sustaining a relationship, facing rejection or creating a family. Specially consistent during the whole film is the critic to our society, based in success over experience, performance over playfulness, fitness over kindness, dominance over community. Finally, the most subtle but powerful subversive message in the movie is questioning to which extent are sick and poisoned the people that consider ourselves "normal". Much of our "normality" might be counter productive, to the point to make us too rigid, cold hearted and stressed because of our own insane standards. All the special basketball players of this special team show us that most of the times it's ok to look silly, to do something stupid or to fail constantly, because they still have each other. So many of us can not say the same.

This movie is such a nice, entertaining, sweet and tender way of reflecting about all these moral values. It's been selected to compete for the Oscar to the best foreign film, but honestly I think they have no chance. We are still too much into an Instagram Age to take a movie like this one seriously.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brutal!!!!! Soooo funny
mariamianowska12 October 2018
Non stop laughing!!!!! I think one of the best Spanish comedy
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie
rajnot20 November 2018
One of the best movie made.. realistic and heart warming. It shows how disable we are judging people by looks and behaviors.. Pretty sure whoever watches this movie won't get disappointed..
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A plea for humanity
feguillena6 September 2018
..tells in a humorous way. An appeal to all of us....who forget the real meaning of life.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Muy buena
dafr-270274 October 2018
Muy buena película, drama comedia y tiene buena historia
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sublime movie
kekenu@yahoo.com8 April 2019
Very touching with humour, sincerity that touches full of argument such as prejudice, coping, courage, flight, love, simplicity, difference, respect and communication. Ideal for going with children to learn values
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best comedy movies I've seen in years!!!
ladislavnulicek28 December 2018
This is by all means a super brilliant comedy movie! Made me laugh so much, its hillarious. It's a must see !!!!!! Don't wait to see it !!!!
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I will wait the second
suleymanfidan3 September 2019
Its so funny, thanks for your work. good job. I loved. I will wait the second
Great movie
txemi-2777020 August 2019
Touching, Funny, very good script, great director and actors.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie to see when you're feeling down
farkasmatej22 February 2019
I had no expectations when I went to see this movie and I wasn't sure in the beginning if it is disrespectful or what. I ended up having a great time and laughed a lot. The message of this movie is obviously and it is greatly done. A must see.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film about the power of love
YellowFever6911 December 2018
This film which is about a second tier basketball coach is sent to train disabled people as court ordered by the judge. Marco moves out of his house to live with his mother to avoid problems with Sonia. As training the disabled people he finds he needs absolute infinite patience to deal with their slowness and quirks. They have problems but the players are full of love. As they progress through the rankings they show absolute great sportsmanship. Marco initially didn't want to deal with them but finds he is not so different from them and that we are all the same. It shows the funny things people with disabilities do without being disrespectful. If you want a comedy with a heart then this is it.
awesome movie
facebook-9423626 December 2018
I'm not much into this kind of films, but this is an all-time must. The directors aces a hilarious movie while showing a outmost respect for the people the psychic challenges, without resorting to paternalistic or cheesy messages. Recommended for both adults and kids (I must say there's some swearing)
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie to watch
nanthakumarrr25 December 2018
Simple yet this movie teaches the most important values to be followed in life in a humorous way on the go
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intentions are not enough...
lf_macias4 January 2019
Inspiring sports film that follows the formula of the trainer with problems that grows as a person next to his team that also has problems. If the formula works do not break it, and here it works for a good time in the movies with mom. The colorful characters that make up this basketball team are those who maintain this film with their charisma, as well as the initial approach to the story, which is attractive and captures attention. However, the plot is going through the path of laziness to resolve their conflicts, until reaching a moment where the main character makes an unethical decision to solve a problem; this makes the outcome anticlimactic. In the epilogue, this character also sins superbly and makes his team do something that he should have done because his life changed thanks to them. This ruins the moral of the story, putting a corny but loose outcome. In short, it is a film of good intentions but that goes from more to less until reaching an unsatisfactory resolution.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost potential
hectorhtr21 October 2018
I came with terrible desire to see the movie, at the time everyone put it very well and to top it has been selected to be sent to the Oscars. Out of the theme of the oscar that I would give for a separate comment, the hype has made the film fall completely to me. In case someone came without knowing anything: The film is about how a basketball coach (Javier Gutierrez) is sanctioned training a group of disabled people. These have been interpreted by real disabled people, which is a risk with pretty good results.

The premise gives a lot of play, both for his comedy that is his genre, and to build and see the evolution of some characters not seen in the cinema. WELL, NO! The comedy works very well, rather, I've laughed a lot and I do not think it's an easy humor to do. At no time is it to laugh directly at them. But the great fault that separates it from something greater is that its characters and the universe it creates are very simplistic. The disabled are shown and are more than façade, but it is very artificial, it does not delve into how is your life, removing a couple of inconsequential moments in the plot. On the other hand, the interaction of the characters is also very simple, and not only that of the disabled that would be logical, but that of others that work at such a basic level that it almost seems written for children.

Not everything is bad, the direction is quite functional and camouflaged, which helps to just focus on the story of the characters. Javier Fesser, the director, rolls in a very cold way showing the reality, with quite tragic points. The conclusion I draw is that the film is based on the claim of a social cause, which is very noble for its part, but has little else to scratch.
1 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.