24 Frames (2017) Poster

(2017)

nope
treywillwest6 February 2020
I find it puzzling that some critics found this last work by Abbas Kiarastam, made as he knew he was approaching the end of his days, disappointingly uncinematic. 24 Frames seems to me the logical end point for the arc of the career of one of the fundamentally cinematic artists. Surely, the Kiarastami aesthetic can best be boiled down to an Ozu style static camera mounted on a car window, a still, pensive acknowledgement of a world in flux.

Or perhaps one can see this work as an inversion of that aesthetic. For here, Kiarastami uses digital animation to bring movement to still images: a painting, a post-card, and 22 of his own still photographs, trying to inject temporality back into a "frozen moment". The movement comes mostly in the form of animal life, a nature that seems very much in peril. The few contributions by human characters are generally destructive, as if the humans think they live in frozen moments, a world that cannot end. Kiarastami seems to be trying to remind the viewer of the fragility of life in this world, how quickly we may be approaching it's end, as of course, he was approaching his as he made the film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful and Hypnotizing
irishboy14124 April 2019
I can't review this like a typical movie, because it's not a typical movie. This is an experimental art film, so there are two questions; Does this movie achieve what it set out to do? and How did it affect me?

I do believe it achieved what it wanted to, It's beautiful and an interesting idea (seeing what could happen before and after a photograph).

It mostly kept my interest due to the beauty of the shots and what the subjects are doing within the shot. This is definitely a great background movie to have on at a casual party similar to a music streaming channel.

The only failings come with some the the effects, certain things feel and look worse than others.

I would recommend it if you want to see something calming and are interested in the premise. It's a decent watch.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT BACKGROUND !
gdspth21 February 2019
Gr8 Background ! It's like living wallpaper for your TV ! 24 LIVING FRAMES ! .hence the name. And some gr8 tunes too.

Frame 13 was brutal ! True and touching !
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
snow, meet water
lee_eisenberg18 June 2019
Abbas Kiarostami was probably Iran's most famous director ever. He died in 2016, right after completing the experimental "24 Frames". This movie features several scenes - many of them containing animals, snow or water - simply depicted as their own free-standing stories. No dialogue except for music, and no people except those who pass by. Characteristic of Kiarostami's frequent blending of simplicity and complexity, as well as his common theme of life and death. Like Akira Kurosawa, Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock, he was a director who revolutionized cinema.

This movie will not be for everyone. The absence of narrative and the single shots test your attention span. But if you want to see what a movie can be at its best, then this will be the film for you.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect stories, even if they barely exist
rubberbandman19724 March 2019
Most people want to compare this movie to non-narrative visual art, and that's not what I saw. Really, it reminded me more of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, another collection of short stories which feels meticulously plotted yet like an illusion that vanishes when you try to make literal meaning out of it. The two are the best evocation of the era when short story collections mattered to normal people and vice versa. There are almost no humans, but the movie is full of perfectly observed character moments that are orchestrated with thematic precision. This is the Winesburg, Ohio of avant garde filmmaking, and probably a better cinematic version of that book's accomplishments in micro-observation than the adaptation.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film belongs to a fine art gallery.
shushupu6 August 2018
Beautiful film and some frames are striking. It is slow and would take peserverance to sit till the end. I am surprised it'd be shown in HK cinemas which are usually quite commercial - probably because of his big name. I fell asleep from 11-16th frame, then again the last two frames. But no audience left the cinema which I find quite amusing.

I wouldn't say it's a great film. At many points I was a bit disappointed at how rough the details were made...it was like seeing a large installation work of a respectfulartost in a gallery, but noticing execution flaws here and there.

It would not have been shown in hk cinemas or received that many awards, if it were a film by a new film maker.

It's experimental but I can hardly describe it as a good film. I'd not recommend t to friends. Sorry.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible posthumous exploitation of a great directors name
ivan-539-5307812 March 2018
I had the misfortune of buying tickets to see this at the London Film Festival and actually getting there on time. I was one of the few people who persevered and watched the whole thing. Most left after the first scenes. The lucky ones. It's a collection of scenes with most being a fixed camera pointed at some room or landscape, nothing happens, no dialogue or voiceover or humans. It should have been a 10 minute short, but someone decided to exploit a great directors name and create this 2 hour abomination that the credited director would have never allowed to be published had he been alive. If you're curious make sure to download it so you can fast forward through most of it, nothing happens anyway, no surprises. Once you see the first frame of a scene, the rest is just it for 5 minutes. That the film was part of the LFF program is just incredible. The whole concept was so poorly executed it's simply astonishing it would be shown anywhere. I doubt they watched it at all.

If a movie doesn't have dialogue, then the scenes have to be powerful, emotive or at least beautiful to the point of moving you at least a little. Art is supposed to make you feel or think. This just makes you wish you had left earlier. There is nothing there. Probably the worst movie ever made. Kiarostami is rolling in his grave.
20 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S tier
kavijohnchauhan9 August 2021
He is able to state a controversial opinion such as when he said Scooby Doo two thousand two is better than Scooby Doo two.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sheer waste of time!
nitejoker620 March 2019
Seconds before and after would have been good enough. It might then have been a great short film of 12-13 minutes. As it is, impossible to sit through and monumental waste of time.
3 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silence is the best Alchemy
sulemanashiq214 July 2020
"I always wonder to what extent the artist aims to depict the reality of a scene. Painters capture only one frame of reality and nothing before or after it.

For "24 Frames" I started with famous paintings but then switched to photos I had taken through the years. I included about four and a half minutes of what I imagined might have taken place before or after each image that I had captured"

Abbas Kiarostami

24 Frames is an experimental film and was the final film of the Iranian legend "Abbas Kiarostami" which was released after his death in 2017. Those of you, who have seen his work, you may know him that he was a film-maker, photographer, and philosopher and this film was the final and last stroke of his mastery combined with all the metaphors of his personality and aura.

In this review, I will embark on personal exploration, as I've watched this film with my mother and for us, it was a one way trip to an art gallery, we both amazed and relished on the aspects and possible themes of all the "24 Frames". Throughout the film, I had an endless discussion with my mother, we detailed and professed every minute scene of this film, I can't relate you the elation I felt. There were 24 photographs, no characters, no dialogues, and yet we were mysterious about the frames, and happily, every frame ended with a sense of mediating, revealing something unique about this life and the world.

It's an open invitation to a free webinar for the distressed soul to enjoin on a meditation which brings prosperity and peace to your life,

an open invitation to an art gallery which gives you the perception of what happens before a photograph taken,

an open invitation to art students to let them learn the art and craft of filmography,

or an open call for people who are observant and deep about nature and surroundings.

It's a simple and unique film, which has the power to entangle your intellect and makes you think about small things, birds, ocean, places. As Rumi Said, "Silence is the best Alchemy", this film is class, which taught you to learn the language of silence and to enjoy life.

If you love myths, philosophy, art, and literature then "24 Frames" is the right door to bang in, and if you're a modern geek with superheroes and Nolan stuff, It would be a boring frame of life.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.