Escape Plan: The Extractors (2019) Poster

Not quite worth the effort...
paul_haakonsen19 October 2019
They should have stopped after the first movie. Whereas the 2013 movie "Escape Plan" was actually good, the 2018 sequel "Escape Plan 2: Hades" and now the 2019 "Escape Plan: The Extractors" have been abysmal, to put it bluntly.

The storyline in "Escape Plan: The Extractors" was just pointless, and it even seemed that none of the cast actually bought into the plot, script and storyline here either. Just what were writers Miles Chapman and John Herzfeld thinking here? How did this script actually make it to become a movie?

The movie is monotonous, and that is actually putting it mildly. There is no adrenaline kicks throughout the movie, and it quickly settled into a boring trot and never got out of that mundane gutter. Yet, I managed to endure the ordeal, as this is a Sylvester Stallone movie after all. Not one of his best movies, not even by a longshot.

It was actually Devon Sawa whom carried the movie here with his performance, as he was the one that had the most screen time, the most energy and the most on-screen presence, whereas the likes of Sylvester Stallone, Dave Bautista and Jin Zhang were just autopiloting their way through this movie at the hands of director John Herzfeld.

"Escape Plan: The Extractors" not only lacked a proper storyline, it also lacked character motivation and the ability to engage the audience. The entire movie just felt like a copy/paste job quickly put together for the sake of cashing in on the franchise before it is too late.

By skipping out on watching "Escape Plan: The Extractors" you will not be missing anything vital to the franchise. This 2019 movie wasn't really worth the time or money invested into it. As such, my rating for it is a mere three out of ten stars.
41 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the second, not as good as the first.
dandelts7621 June 2019
When the first one made 25 million in the US, but a further $75 million in China, it makes sense that it got Chinese backing for sequels and the producers took the money and ran. Whilst the second one used Stallone and Batista for a poster and credit only to suck you in, it was a vehicle for Asian market with Asian stars. With a more competent direct on John Herzfeld on the third, there's a noted improvement. First Stallone gets about 40 minutes of screen time, whilst he barely got 10 minutes in the second one, there's still great fights for Max Zhang to shine, but Stallone gets more to do here, 50 cent is in it for 2 minutes (always a bonus) and Bautista is the Terry Crews of Expendables, big guy with the big gun, gets a few minutes to shine. HIghights include the career resurgence of Martial Arts Action Star Daniel Bernhardt gets a great end fight with Max Zhang and Stallone gets brutal with Devon Sawa 90s heartthrob from the Final Destination movies. Overall, a vast improvement on number 2, nowhere near as good as the original, but we get fights, we get blood and we get Stallone kicking but here and there. It's easy to see why he's established Balboa Pictures in his twilight years and doesnt want to get caught doing these sequels and Backtrace style films for a quick payday. He cares more about his career than a Cage or Travolta or Bruce Willis at this point and doesnt want to do this for the pay cheque. Overall, starts bad and gets better and ends well. Worth a watch and support with your purchase.
95 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another one-man army vs. the baddies..
drsoubhi13 August 2019
And yes..it's just as cheesy as it sounds..No good plot whatsoever here..just some people punching and gunning each other..and in the end, the so-called "hero" gets his poetic justice type of revenge..Hell, they even added the girlfriend-killed type of false emotional moment and then the hero gets his revenge after and hour and half of torturing the viewers brains and eyes in a lame attempt to play on the emotional side and yet it just failed soooo bad. I mean yes the kung-fu parts are good but that's it.. nothing else is.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak Plot, Boring for an Action Film
dannyji0027 November 2019
There is no real connection to any characters in this movie, as there is no real regard to who lives and who dies. The action is okay, but the blood Is cartoonish and fight scenes are so clearly staged it makes them boring to watch.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dear Sly, please stop!
jacobalessi-8501229 August 2019
How does such a great movie spawn two horrific sequels?? What a bludger of a film. The whole thing is just a mess.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves better than 4.3/10
barbell_2813 July 2019
This wasnt that bad. It was a basic formula. Cheesy. But it was entertaining and a good way to kill a bit of time. Turn your mind off and watch for fun.
42 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh no
andreas_v-4886617 August 2019
No Sly, what happened? Low budget chinese feeling.
27 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than the last one
zathan-3284823 June 2019
After watching Escape Plan 2 you have the lowest expectasions for this one. Then with the big fear of this also beeing bad i was surprised to see that it was an ok action movie.. It will never be a classic worth watching again and its nothing like the first one, but is ok. the production is at a higher level than in number 2
38 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I personally enjoyed it.
garygoss-5226123 June 2019
Just wanted to say i am so glad i ABSOLUTELY take NO notice of reviews on here UNTIL i watch a film. Enjoyable watch for me. Bye.
48 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WAYYYYYYY better than "Escape Plan 2"....but....
camarossdriver13 July 2019
Sly is actually a BIG part of this one,and he goes FULL RAMBO MODE! I actually liked this one. The ONLY thing is the advertised 97 minute run time. I don't think TWO MINUTES of movie bumper intros,and 10 minutes plus of end credits should factor into the run time. The movie is actually REALLY SHORT! Other than that....if you DIDN'T like the second one,"Escape Plan 3" is FAR superior,and worth a watch......in MY opinion.
23 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
See and decide for yourself
I often wonder why someone would trash a movie because they're unable to understand the plot. This movie has got all the grit, action and suspense you'd expect from it. The east meets west mix of cultures is endearing. I don't need to give away any spoilers, watch it for yourself and decide. Don't make a decision based on the reviews here.
42 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7/10 Entertaining and well done action scenes
djpure126 June 2019
Entertaining and well done action/fight scenes with some surprising moments. I did not actually watch the 2nd one cause it looked awful but I liked the look of this. 7 MAX
37 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another nice one from Stallone.
dokicharles24 June 2019
The plot and the actions scenes are well organised. I would almost not watch it when I saw the ratings but I'm glad I didn't consider the ratings. It's another good work from Sylvester Stallone bring the first movie into caption in this new sequelae.πŸ‘πŸ‘
39 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all πŸ‘
duckboy-9417121 June 2019
Ignore any negative reviews, this is a 7/10 for sure, and I'm a tough movie critic, very enjoyable. But I will tell you this under no circumstances watch the second one, it's awful !!!
41 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ACTION ACTION ACTION!
Horseman5624 June 2019
Sly killed it with this third installment o Escape Plan - I will its better than ONE and we will forget TWO altogether. As an action seeker, this film provides all the right goods - MMA - Boxing - Kungfu - integrating so any styles and left me cheering. Escape Plan THREE will be on my purchase list. Keep Punching SLY!
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Getting worse...
Top_Dawg_Critic21 June 2019
Novice writer and creator of Escape Plan, Miles Chapman, had a great story and concept with the 1st film, flopped on the original premise in the 2nd film, and seems like he ran out of ideas and got lazy for this 3rd film. What happened to Stallone escaping OUT of prisons? Where was the tech and gadgetry for the "extraction"? Oh wait, exploding fire bullets? Pshhh give me a break. Then add major plot and scene issues. Again, lazy writing. The directing was lousy with terrible camera work and editing. The score was annoying and out of place. Basically an all-around cheap C-grade production, that even the original great lead cast couldn't save. The martial arts fight scenes were choreographed really well, but it felt like director John Herzfeld had shaky hands recording with his iPhone4. It's a shame this one couldn't even compare to the first film. The 2nd film was even better than this one. It's a very generous 5/10 from me - mainly for Stallone, Bautista, and the 5 mins we saw 50 Cent.
54 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ACTION - SICK FIGHTS - SHOCKING DEATHS
kirk_lancaster3 July 2019
A must see for those who enjoy action, MMA, and humor.
32 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WHY SLY!!!!!
enq-4505721 June 2019
I don't understand why a movie that grosses 25 million in the US gets a green light for 2 sequels. I am a huge fan of Sly but there was no reason for him to make these 2 sequels. Incredibly bland and boring and certainly one of his worst movies that he has been in.
57 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT MMA FIGHTS. STRONG CASTING. VERY ENTERTAINING.
manthird23 June 2019
They changed genres from ESP1and 2 - This is old school violence and a story of revenge.
34 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Director and Actor 🎭 bring old-school action into the modern game
wildbillstanton23 June 2019
Being a huge fan of both Stallone and Herzfelds past work. I was overjoyed to see they've finally collaborated on an action film that delivers on all fronts. Herzfelds direction is smart and concise. As he brings out the very best in Stallones ability to translate inner rage onto the screen. The climatic fight scene at the end feels totally unscripted and visceral. A welcomed alternative to many of today's over choreographed fight scene ballets IMO.

I'd love to see these 2 team up again for a sequel and or another project. πŸŽ₯

I completely enjoyed this movie and remain a fan of both the Director and Stallone 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 PS The rest of the ensemble also brings their A GAME. With Batista and crew chewing up the action themselves like woodchippers! Bravo πŸ‘ to this production team.
36 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better action no action for escape plan
farqen25 June 2019
Better action no action for escape plan, good in action, there's no escape plan, wait for the forth sequel for the best.
29 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Make your Plan to see Escape Plan! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
wildbillstanton23 June 2019
Writer, Director πŸŽ₯ John Herzfelds collaboration with Stallone shows how 2 Ol Dawgs can still bring new tricks to the 21st century Action Genre. By bringing the very best of practical effects and realistic fight scenes into sync with anything out there today.

It's apparent these 2 guy's know what the audience wants and needs as EP3 delivers! Supported by Batista and crew, it's a must watch for any fan of action!

I'd love to see further collaboration between the actor and director for future projects.

Great job to all and thanks for the ride. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟πŸŽ₯πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ
29 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10 BECAUSE ACTION ROCKS AND IT DESERVES IT!!!!!
Horseman5623 June 2019
I AM AN ACTION JUNKIE!!!! The scenes were choreographed by 87eleven - by far the most superior group of stuntmen working today - hello John Wick Franchise - this movie gets a 10 based on action balls alone!!! Sly, Bautista, Max Zhang (Chinese martial arts extraordinaire) give us memorable fights of precision and fury. In saw this prescreened film - I suspect some snarky commenters - have not seen the film as it hasn't been released - maybe well placed competitors - GO SEE THIS MOVIE and prepare to enjoy the action ride!!!
34 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YES SLY!!!!!!
peazybugs23 June 2019
If you thought Sly was done with hardcore action and transitioning to the "peace loving grandpa" retired stage of his career - boy are you wrong! I attended an early screening and the audience cheered, moaned, and gasped. Sly gives a true beat down and displays his diversity chops. Bautista rocks us with wit and badassdom. MMA fans will love. Looking forward to release to watch and rewind!
35 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Popcorn rescue action film
criscrossin24 June 2019
I liked this movie quite a lot. I approached without any great expectations. I knew at this age and scenario, Sly will not be doin a great deal here. And that's so. A mighty chinese business tycoon's daughter was taken and has to be extracted - that's the job. Some personal angles were brought into play. But mainly this movie was showcasing action. The chinese players brought the kung fu display. Quite good. And the American stars were doing the bone cracking wwf style things. Some shooting. The main part is shot in a prison in Latvia. It can be considered as a polished high end version of the better quality Steven Seagal style video movies. Sometimes they are pleasant enough. Sly wasn't required to do much physical action except at the end. 50 cents showed up in a blink and miss scene. The main villain was built up a lot from the screen play but the climax seemed underwhelming. No stylish brainy hi-tech plans or grandiose screen bursting moves. But some hand to hand comabats were nice.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.