Duvvada Jagannadham (2017) Poster

fillerruth24 June 2017
When we buy a ticket for an Allu Arjun film, we known what we sign up for: a popcorn entertainer, nothing more or nothing less. And the DJ team had promised that the 'audience will have a blast' in the theatre, Read on to find out if they have delivered on their promise. A misfit, rebellious teenager from the Brahmin community, Duvvada Jagannadham, guns down five goons who try to kill an honest cop at a deserted public place. Without thinking twice, the same kid empties the remaining bullets into a rape accused at the police station from the same gun that he used to kill five bad people earlier that day. It was just the beginning of a series of killings that were about to follow. The honest cop, played by Murali Sharma, sees a warrior in the boy and lets him continue the killings with impunity to uphold justice and punish the wrongdoers so that he can sleep peacefully at night. About 15 minutes into the film, we are introduced to now adult Duvvada Jagannadham (played by Allu Arjun) one of the most loved youngsters in his community. A Brahmin youngster, who has mastered the Vedas and mantras, takes care of his family and its business that is catering services, respects elder, abides by the law (in the day) and keep preaching the right messages to the civil society. He is the ideal son and citizen when he is around his family members. When he steps away, his body and language completely change and he goes by the name DJ, a legend of sorts among the criminals. Any criminal who has the misfortune to see in person means that he has lived his last day on the earth. In simple words, he is a vigilante. But, director Harish Shankar, who has also written the film, has failed to give a solid reason to justify what drives a teenager to kill criminals in cold blood and continue doing so for years. It seems like he overlooked the necessity of logic while writing this film, hoping that the fans would accept Allu Arjun anyway and without questioning. DJ managed to capture the interest of the audience when the filmmakers released the teaser showing Allu in a non-glamorous avatar as a Brahmin boy. And the director has managed to milk that role in the film to the hilt to enthrall the audience. In a scene, DJ introduces himself to a group of goons, before killing them in style as the most interesting and entertaining character. But, actually, it is his Duvvada Jagannadham character that keeps the audience engaged throughout the film. His mannerism and dialogues draw some genuine laughs from the audience. When it comes to DJ, let's say we have seen Allu playing that role in many films under various names in the past. Duvvada Jagannadham's role is rather the only surprise in this regular run-of-the-mill commercial entertainer. Harish, meanwhile, has packed some punch into the screenplay of the film keeping hard- core Allu Arjun fans in mind. Allu's performance is the mainstay. While we expected Vennela Kishore to deliver some rib-tickling comedy, his character and jokes fall flat. Allu excels in the comedy in the film too. It looks like the director has poured all the interesting ideas into one character and made DJ alias Duvvada Jagannadham. Pooja Hegde has convincingly done the given job that is to look stunning in every frame of the film. Especially, she looks ravishing in all the song sequences. Rao Ramesh's character that initially comes across as a clever antagonist, has been compromised just to benefit the DJ character. No other performances stand out in the film except Allu Arjun's. It is a commercial entertainer made by the book and it works to some extent. And yes, composer Devi Sri Prasad's music is a big plus and dance choreography is just the icing on the cake. If you can keep your expectations level low and watch the movie, it might just be the thing for a lazy weekend.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Walk-out movie
karthikeyasharma6125 June 2017
Another pathetic movie! I wish I could give this less than 1 rating. We have seen them all. Through out the movie, I kept wondering how on the world could the director view audience's IQ with such contempt in this era. We have seen them all i.e, a misfit, protagonist having another contrasting side etc. This is such a lazy attempt.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a worst perfomance of allu arjun
jabeeibraheem29 October 2018
This is a worst perfomance of allu arjun

Kindly he will retire the movie field
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Routinaha routinasya routinobhyaha
vjnambu20 June 2019
Plus: 1. Allu arjun performance 2. Pooja hegde glamour 3. Songs(except box baddali poye) 4. Cinematography 5. Production values 6. Different ending Minus: 1. Rehashed story of gentleman 2. No valid reason for shastri becoming DJ 3. Crass comedy 4. No emotions Verdict: Allu saved this routine entertainer
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh GOD­čśŁ
vaidyalikhitha5 April 2019
Worst movie of allu arjun I didn't expect this s### acting is worst pooja hegde role is portrayed so dumb plot is funny no words to say one thing I can say is allu arjun portrayed the role of being a brahmin in a wrong way this is an insult to brahmins
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dj is a routine commercial entertainer saved by Pooja Hegde's glamour and Harish's dialogues.
shobanchittuprolu23 June 2017
Dj:Duvvada Jagannadham (2017):

When we buy a ticket for an Allu Arjun film, we known what we sign up for: a popcorn entertainer, nothing more or nothing less. But with Sarrainodu he tried an entire "Oora Mass Role" which may brought him a super hit but critically the movie was panned.So when he teamed up with Harish Shankar,we may not expect a different movie but entertainment is guaranteed at least in parts.So how is the movie?

Plot:

Dhuvvada Jaganadham(Allu Arjun) is a small time brahmin boy who goes against all odds and helps others. Seeing this quality of his, a high-profile cop(Murali Sharma) asks him to become DJ, a man who fights crime in disguise.This is the same time when Dhuvaada falls in love with Pooja(Pooja Hegde) the daughter of a high profile minister(Posani) involved with yet another crime lord Royyala Naidu(Rao Ramesh) who also operates in disguise.On the other hand, DJ decides to take on Royyala Naidu in his mission but does not know who he is in actual life. Rest of the story is as to how Duvvada Jagannadham alias DJ manages to finish Royyala Naidu.

Plus Points:

1)Pooja Hegde: After a long time,I found an actress in a movie to be a real gorgeous lead.She may have same limited clich├ęd glamorous role but her glamour is the major pro of the movie.Her bikini show is one of the most eye stunning beauty in Indian Cinema.She matches equal steps with Bunny and her chemistry with the star hero is just awesome.

2)Other Performances: Allu Arjun looks stylish in Dj role.Rao Ramesh emulates his dad, Rao Gopala Rao from Aa Okkati Adakku and does his best.Subba Raju is decent.

3)Gudilo Badilo song: A chart buster already.Visually the song looks ravishing with beautiful locations and neat choreography.

4)Dialogues: Harish has written some genuine funny dialogues which worked most of the time and made a lot of clich├ęd scenes bearable.Harish Shankar has left his stamp as writer than director. He is known for writing clever punch lines and he has many such here.

Minus Points:

1)Routine story and Screenplay: Dj runs on the same lines of Shankar's Gentleman where a Brahmin Caterer is a secret vigilante (Which is not at all a secret here). But the screenplay is so predictable and clich├ęd.If not for Harish's dialogues this movie could have been a complete disappointment.

2)Duration: Throughout the movie's run time I have frequently checked my watch.Movie is so much lengthy with no matter at all.

3)Allu Arjun as Brahmin guy: Allu Arjun severely tried to be a Brahmin guy as naturally as possible.But we can clearly see that he is trying to,so he definitely didn't give his best output.

So,Dj is a routine commercial entertainer saved by Pooja Hegde's glamour,Harish's dialogues.

My rating 5.5/10
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Duvvada Jagannadham is a Brahmin who works in his family's catering business at day but is a vigilante named DJ at night.
shreelekhad25 June 2017
The movie is brilliant and I believe it to be one of the only that address the issues of this new age. Indian audiences have seen plenty of Dual role but Dual personality are rarely seen.

Although there are few comedians, Allu Arjun manages to fill the crowd with laughter perfectly. The story line could have been more polished, but it was an awesome entertainer, not to be missed.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lot better than Tubelight
mohanhullannavar27 June 2017
A cool entertainer...... What else to say.... By trailer, you know that you're not going to a action movie. Then why raise expectations and feel bad..... Watched Brahmotsavam(Mahesh), can you feel my disappointment at that time, movies will be as same as trailers. Expectations lead to disappointment. Expect least,get Happy a lot..... Lot Better than Tubelight....
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not necessary that Every Allu Arjun movie is Stylish
mundeparth28 January 2021
I know that Telgu movies work on masala commercial entertainers .While other industries are bringing realistic content ,Telgu should try something new. Now I don't have any problems from these movies as they show our culture and Indian sanskriti really well. But movie needs to be entertaining .Very few dialogues made me laugh . Story was descent but screen play was not engaging .Very boring and slow screenplay , slapstick one liners ,a hot heroine for glamour , that's what the movie consists of. Very disappointed from AA and the movie .
DJ - Allu Arjun & Pooja Hegde
shrivastavagurudeep13 September 2020
Allu Arjun do food business also he work with retired police man to bring justice. And defeat his villain.
Would have given 0 if there was an option
ashuashutosh1 August 2020
Total cliche nothing else...total show off.. usually I don't watch these type of movies but one of my friend suggested to watch this.. turned out to be a total disaster.
Worth Watching
mohit_sinsniwal26 May 2019
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bed
kkhan-766418 July 2020
Overall its fantastic movie.. Allu always stylish acter.
Good movie
turagjubayer6 May 2020
Not a must watch movie but if you have a lot of time or you are a fan of allu arjun then you can watch it.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie from allu arjun.
biswasarjun12 April 2020
I like this movie very much because I this movie you larn something about your life..
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DJ Review: Another record-breaking and record-making action film from Allu Arjun.
Prashast_Singh20 November 2017
Movie: DJ (UA)

Rating: 4.5/5

Allu Arjun has gained a lot of popularity in Northern States, which resulted in his previous breathtaking entertainer SARRAINODU's Hindi version raking in over 100 million views, a record not even achieved by a straight Hindi film. Everyone, including me, was awaiting the Hindi release of DJ. And finally it premiered in Hindi yesterday night, and I'm glad I saw it because I totally enjoyed it.

Allu Arjun is the best thing about DJ. He brilliantly plays the lead role, and keeps the entertainment quotient extremely high. He even pulls out emotional sequences very well and excels in the excellently choreographed and well executed, brilliantly shot action sequences. Pooja Hegde does a fine job. Rao Ramesh is brilliant as well as funny at the same time. Subbaraju impresses once again after BAAHUBALI 2. Murali Sharma is very impressive in the role he plays. Rest of the cast does a great job.

The screenplay is excellent, and the editing is decent.

The action is excellent, as said before, and the cinematography is splendid. The background score is terrific and the visual effects are extremely impressive. The film provides not only a very decent humour, but also some gripping edge-of-the-seat thrills. The ending was quite impressive and the climax was quite an amazing one.

Director Harish Shankar has done his best throughout the film. The dubbing is top notch, and Sanket Mhatre's dubbing for Allu Arjun is another major asset.

Overall, DJ is another excellent action entertainer from Allu Arjun which is likely to make and break new records. And I won't be surprised if the film surpasses the record held by SARRAINODU, which too was very entertaining.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
parushuramreddy4 July 2017
DJ(Duvvada Jaganadham) - The movie and its title looks stylish. Concept - The movie concept is based on the mythological characters Lord Krishna And Arjun, where Krishna Helps Arjun to fight out the evil in this world, in the same way DJ is being helped by some of his friends and a police officer. Story - It's a good story, but these type of stories have been already served by many of the story tellers. Screenplay - Harish Shankar is always best with his screenplay and this time too, but doesn't seemed interested in elevating the love angle between Lead Roles. Direction - Though having a good script, Director focuses more on Hero Characterization, styling and some smoky hot shots for the heroine. Dialogues - Some dialogues have a good meaning in them, where as some of them have been remained in silence(some of them are senseless). Production values - Production Values are high and always would be high, since it's an Dil Raju Production(They never reduce their production values). Cinematography - It's one of the asset for the movie which helps in making the movie more stylish. Music - In recent times we are missing the DSP mark. Only two songs the whole album are good. Villain - Another Asset for the movie. Rao Ramesh, one of the finest actors of TFI, rocks the movie with his acting skills. This character has some comic sense which his greatly essayed by him. Initially the character is shown in a Furious manner, but it didn't stand up to the last. Hero - Allu Arjun tried his level best in this DJ Avatar but lacks some intensity which is required for this Character and Looks Ultra Stylish as always he does. Heroine -Pooja Hegde, Biggest Asset for the movie. She stole the show with her Looks and Screen Presence but doesn't have a great character in the movie. It's Just another Bubbly girl character. Subbaraju, Thanikela Bharani, Posani and others have done justice to their roles. Vennala Kishore is an special mention, he tickles and makes you laugh with his comedy timing. Publicity Design - The title looks stylish, which is according to the story. Costumes - There is not much scope for Costumes in this movie, since the story revolves around a Brahmin character, who mostly wears traditional clothes. Art - Art Department shown its best in creating the traditional house setup and streets. VFX - Not a great a work by VFX team, they lack intensity in the Hero Introduction scene where VFX plays an important role. Editing - Editor has done his job. Hero Sidekicks can be removed because they don't play a great role in this movie and their screen presence is less when compared to other characters. Pooja Hegde acted in many movies, but she is more glamorous in this movie when compared to other works of her. This is due to Harish Shankar style of taking. He was Successful in making the movie stylish. It's a not great story in case of elevating the love track. The climax of the movie ends in a comic way, it can be a way better than this.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent commercial entertainer
saru202017 March 2018
Good film with all commercial elements mixed in. I do have an effect of watching Sarrainodu just yesterday.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
excellent dance by Allu Arjun
savithasiddharth24 January 2018
DJ - Allu Arjun....... excellent acting n dance..u r one of the best dancer. Good entertaining movie :)
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.