America: The Motion Picture (2021) Poster

I think you guys missed the point
dwc-479301 July 2021
This isn't supposed to be a Monty Python sketch or a nuanced satire. This is supposed to poke fun at the ultra patriotic Bro dude history that people homology together into our past. This is the version of America where Lincoln rides a grizzly bear into battle on a t shirt. It's chock full of references and humor and while not perfect I found it ridiculously entertaining and I'm a historian. Just don't take it so seriously.
196 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been a 20 minute adult swim show
resevil4954 July 2021
Opening was good. The rest was so boring and unwatchable. After the theater scene I was not into it at all.
44 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite disappointing
wafflepenguin30 June 2021
The thing that surprised me the most about this movie was how boring it is aside from the first and last 20 minutes. The humour has its moments, but the majority doesn't really work, at least for me. It also lacked action aside from the very end, a lot was off screen or just didn't exist. Overall was rather disappointed as had been looking forward to it for a while.
105 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kinda misses the mark
ryanbarrett-6682110 July 2021
I didn't hate it but... The writing definitely has its moments and it's very over the top. Especially since it never knows (or even pretend to know) what century it's taking place in. Sometimes this fact makes watching it a bit confusing. If you literally take your logic brain and turn it off completely, it makes it more tolerable. So yeah. Don't overthink it, it's not that kind of movie.

Animation and acting are brilliant. Story is kinda meh (far too many Star Wars references), even with the over the top moments. Probably should be watched while drunk. MURICA! 🇺🇸
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange movie for a Canadian to watch on Canada Day.
tinidrilcharon2 July 2021
I'm not sure what I just watched, but I was entertained.

I enjoyed it, you can tell the voice actors had a good time.

But I would guess it will take some time before the people that will be offended, to realize they actually are. And I can support that.
54 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could've been great. Such a wasted opportunity.
PsychoBeard66610 July 2021
Much like Sausage Party, the novelty wore off quite quickly and I stopped laughing. With all of the talent involved in the making of this, it was harder to fail than to succeed but they succeeded in failing.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't even pass the low bar of being vaguely entertaining.
twegkamp7 July 2021
Totally off the rails with historical accuracy, which I know is not the point, but if you're gonna sacrifice accuracy you better damn well be funny. If not, then the inaccuracies just become annoying. Not only is this not funny, but not even vaguely entertaining; apparently flashing lights are supposed to distract from lack of a consistent plot line and vulgarities are supposed to pass as punch lines, so lazy! What this "movie" boils down to is an opportunity for liberal Hollywood elites to show their current wokeness by demeaning the Founding Fathers, and bashing America and men so they can get their pat-on-the-back by their fellow Hollywood elite buddies.

I used to be a fan of Olivia Munn in her early days on G4 TV, but it turns out she's become a great litmus test for knowing if a movie is total crap. The larger her role in a movie, the worse you know it will be!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alert
rabindrakumar-1562010 July 2021
Guys please don't watch this movie . This movie is soo bad and i never seen any movie like this before.

And please childrens and students stay away from this badest movie .

Please don't watch this movie . Waste of time . And waste of you net also.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
saiken-303418 August 2021
I have no idea if this thing had a political agenda or what that agenda is because is sucked so much that I couldn't get to the 10 minute mark before I had to turn it off. I only gave it two stars because I didn't want to give a movie I hadn't seen all of one star.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not very funny but kind of enjoyed it a little.
johnny-5063429 July 2021
Definitely was looking forward to this. The animation is fun, voice acting is pretty good. The jokes were just missing hard. Some of the fighting shenanigans were ok.

Wasn't expecting much but felt it would at least be funny.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure hot garbage
mweaver-104014 July 2021
There is way too much going on in this movie. It's sorta trying to be Team America, but it's 1000% less funny. It's kinda Borat, but less interesting. Maybe trying to be Monty Python, but more like a frat boy wrote this while drunk. It's unfunny, not sure what it wants to be, and frankly boring. Maybe it's trying to be woke but it just comes off as annoying. The animation was good, but the script is top 10 worst ever written. This is awful and a new low for Netflix which has honestly been putting out pure trash that make straight to VHS B movies look good.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not nearly as bad as most say
ksheridan-202942 July 2021
Like, yeah some jokes fall flat. But for the most part this is a fun over the top dramatization of Americans. The characters are enjoyable, the plot is easy to follow, its really good fun. Its not high brow, nor is it ground breaking. Its an hour and a half of just making fun of America, told through a intriguing "Tell Tale" games animation style. I dont really see a lot of the faults others do, I see it for what it is. A beautifully dumb movie thats good for some giggles and slams against America. Id recommend this to friends.
41 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
jacobwellsons-03711 July 2021
It had it's moments but overall it's meh, I think this movie could have been a lot better if it weren't for sensitive people and pandering to that crowd imo.
56 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extreme lowbrow fun.
sholto-793792 July 2021
We got some class-A whack-a-doodle nonsense right here, and it's awesome!

If you like your humour scatological, absurd, and VERY offensive then you will love it.

If not, this film is just going to annoy you. It is not subtle or sophisticated.

The satire is pretty thin stuff and the narrative relies heavily on the conceit of dys-chronous cut-up history to maintain our engagement - i was always waiting to see what the next anachronistic wink would be, and you never have to wait long (Tea 'N Tea - FFS!) So if you have trouble accepting George Washington and Abe Lincoln being Homoerotic BFFs, look elsewhere for your entertainment.

Some may complain this film could further compound American ignorance of quaint notions like "Truth" and "Facts", but I reckon that lifeboat has already sunk.

Also, this is an interesting counterpoint to "The Underground Railroad" and its similar approach, using a-historical pastiche as a narrative device.

Reminiscent of "Team America" and "American Dad", this may keep citizens giggling as democracy continues down the toilet.
51 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All the voice talent for nothing
Shoedovoodoo7 July 2021
Couldn't wait to see this based on the actors alone. 20 minutes in I knew it's where it was going. Unfortunate.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Out of touch
brajsmit-225994 July 2021
Another dystopian Hollywood production that shows just how out of touch they really are with the real American people. Yes we understand the joke's on us you're not clever you're not intelligent you're not even educated please make some good movies again not more garbage like this nonsense.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh.
techstrip3 July 2021
I am dumber now than I was before I watched this garbage.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who thought this was a fun and fresh script?
maakus10 July 2021
The lowers simplest form of edgy comedy where they use the F-word so much in the wrong places, it becomes annoying.

I never do this, but after one hour of total boredom from watching modern day science and culture placed in the past-jokes (which is just as funny as rapping grannies), i just had to turn it off.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond Stupid.
farawayman-2081214 July 2021
This is the stupidest least funny thing I've ever seen.

Pure trite.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A one joke premise stretched well past its welcome
IonicBreezeMachine2 July 2021
When Benedict Arnold (Andy Sandburg) sabotages the signing of the Declaration of Independence, killing the founding fathers, he later lures Geroge Washington (Channing Tatum) and Abraham Lincoln (Will Forte) to Ford's theater where he uses his werewolf powers to kill Abe. While George is initially despondent, he eventually decides to put together a team consisting of figures such as Thomas Edison (Olivia Munn), Samuel Adams (Jason Mantzoukas), Paul Revere (Bobby Moynihan) and Geronimo (Raoul Trujillo) to take down the tyrannical King James (Simon Pegg) and establish the nation of America.

America The Motion Picture, a joint production between Lord Miller Productions, Netflix Animation, and Floyd County Productions has a lot of proven talent both behind and in front of the camera. With a cast and crew that have worked on everything from Archer, 21 and 22 Jump Street, Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse and many other successful ventures in combination with an intriguing high concept premise, this was a movie I was honestly anticipating since its announcement in 2017. Unfortunately despite having all the right pieces, the movie is less than the sum of its parts.

The animation in the film is at least decent with good use of perspective, appealing character and environmental designs, and fluid movements and expressions that make the visuals really pop. In terms of its technical aspects you'd be hard pressed to find a film of this type that looks this nice.

The writing and performances are unfortunately where the movie falters. America The Motion Pictures primary joke is in taking the American Revolution and cramming in all manner of anachronistic references and persons and framing it as if it were a blockbuster action film. Watching America The Motion Picture I found myself comparing it to Drunk History which would also take historical events and play them in increasingly ludicrous directions at the whims of the inebriated host. America The Motion Picture has enough material for a five minute Youtube sketch or maybe 22 minutes of a TV episode, but at 90 minutes it becomes all too obvious the material is not strong enough to sustain feature length as it rests on its basic premise as the beginning and end of the joke. The performances are also not very good as they have a very self aware approach to the material with many of characters feeling like interchangeable "frat bro" types whose only purpose is to spout contemporary references solely for their own sake including head scratching references to the long dormant Jason Statham Transporter series and Lorenzo Lamas Renegade TV show.

America The Motion Picture takes a moderately intriguing premise and does virtually nothing with it, while the animation is fluid with appealing designs they're unfortunately in service of played out rambling reference heavy humor that is so lacking in context, set up, or payoff that the movie just ambles aimlessly between comic setpieces with no sense of comic friction or pacing.
38 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely Mindless
KyleDial1 July 2021
It has some clever jokes, but the majority of the movie was mindless potty humor mixed with wokeness. Could be enjoyable if you watch drunk or high...
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't Deliver
Nomad0076 July 2021
Falls completely flat. For most part not funny, not exciting, and really not shocking either, well that much. While I did watch the movie it just didn't keep me engaged and I generally appreciate this kind of content.

This had the potential to be completely amazing. So disappointed. Otherwise.

Trailer looked awesome.

Loved the whole concept.

(Mostly) great voice actors.

TONS, literally metric tons of references to popular culture.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply not funny
benniegrezlik30 June 2021
I like satirical takes on anything, yet this script seems to be written by ten year old boys from the bottom of their class. Okay, satire doesn't have to make sense, bur it does need to hang together in its own universe. This movie doesn't hang together in any universe. All would be forgivable if it were funny. It is not. I gave up about twenty minutes in. I'm thinking of sending Netflix my grandchild's crayon drawings to see if we can get a movie deal.
73 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard Pass
NoMegustaMeBuritto30 June 2021
I understand this is satire mocking the history of the country. Yet the humor falls short on every level. It attempts to push so much down your throat it forgets the very purpose of its satire. Some will praise it, some will say it's woke trash. I just think it failed cause it lacked any connection with the random humor it attempted to garble all in to one.

Hey Netflix if you pay for this kind of content you should see what my dog can come up with. It amazes me the money Netflix throws at trash productions. Some big names in the cast too, I am sure this wasn't cheap.

Just a sad attempt to jab at history and push a narrative is all I can see cause the humor was so forced it failed to be humor and instead just shows for what it is. An agenda at an image that certain people want America to be.
70 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not What The World Needs Now
donself-175754 July 2021
The education system is failing to teach history to children. This has gone on for two or three generations. For satire to be effective, you have to know the material satirized. I do. This is not satire. There's nothing funny about it. No redeeming qualities. Don't bother.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.