Dead Water (2019) Poster

(2019)

Drowns in amateurism
filmklassik27 July 2019
At one point in DEAD WATER (a rip-off of 1989's infinitely superior DEAD CALM) one of the characters boasts that his brand new harpoon gun is, "the same kind of harpoon-gun that Quintin used on Bruce."

"Bruce?" someone asks.

"The shark from JAWS."

Fascinating. Except Robert Shaw's character in JAWS was named "Quint," not "Quintin."

The most iconic character in a truly iconic movie - a masterpiece of cinema - and the filmmakers were so sloppy that nobody - from the screenwriter, to the director, to the actors, to the editor - could be bothered to get his name right.

And that kind of sloppiness informs the whole production. A dialogue scene takes place in a stationary car because the filmmakers obviously couldn't afford to film it as the car was moving. And a short while later, characters talk on the deck of a supposedly moving yacht that is obviously standing still.

Entire scenes are not properly "covered" by the director, and numerous scenes are borderline inaudible because they didn't have enough money to fix them in post-production.

And that's just technical stuff. As for the plot and dialogue ... oh my God, where to begin ...

Here's just one example of how bad this story is: Dude A carefully arranges for the murder of Dude B because he is secretly in love with B's wife - a motive that makes perfect sense - yet A starts putting the moves on B's wife (and freaking her the hell out) before B is even reported dead, which makes ZERO sense.

The whole thing reeks of amateur hour.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring wet sunday afternoon material!
omendata27 July 2019
Nothing new to see here, no sharks, no scares, no story. Been done a million times before and much better! Although Casper is looking good for an old guy so the ladees might get some excitement from this but sadly not for me it bored me to tears!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three annoying people on a boat
imdb-29204 August 2019
Hey, characters, we're all having a tense time. Let's go on a small boat where there's nothing to do in the middle of nowhere and drink a lot. Great idea.

Every character in this schlockfest is a cheap ripoff you've seen before:

Newscaster "babe" is a low-rent Renée Zellweger with the annoying voice of Leslie Mann. Unfortunately, she's the only sensible character.

Pirate guy is the Dollar Tree version of the bad guy who is always standing in the back left of the mob boss's office. Normally he never gets any lines. This movie shows you why.

The two main guys are basically indistinguishable. No, wait, the creepier guy has a cleft chin.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely not open water
pmcorso18 August 2019
Not that Bad!!! It's strange to see Judd Nelson playing a villain after seeing him in the Breakfast Club years ago!!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice scenery but that's about it
bjornar-182-26035130 July 2019
Virgin Island, boat, two men and woman and Judd Nelson as the surprise. A predictable, «thriller» but if you regard it as commersial for green beatiful sea and a nice boat it's not the worst I've seen - though pretty close.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seen this story before...a lot
Tina_jeppesen15 October 2019
Big time spoiler!!!!- predictable....But not unwatchable...idk at the end I just wanted the main dude to say to his *wife* realistically what anyone else would say " this whole thing didn't need to happen?!?!- if only u weren't screwing my friend while I fought in Afganistan for our freedom!!!!!" Then ditch her along with them. Maybe not kill her lol.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
dont waste your time
ariyanto-188086 August 2019
Dont waste your time to watch this film, so bad, even the film is not better than the trailer/poster picture.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just go to 50:00 to see the story of this movie
winbert12 August 2019
I rarely made a review but after watching this movie, I had a feeling to write something so other will know what is going to do with it. This is some kind one had a 2 pages of script but insist to make a 90 minutes movie. So the first 50 minutes was just nothing. So if you still insist to see this movie, skip and go to 50:00 and you won't miss anything.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been worse.
dar04176 August 2019
Was nice to see Judd Nelson & Casper Van Dien in a normal film. For what it's worth its worth checking out.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boat with some action (towards the end)
julianxbishop5 August 2019
We went to the "World Premiere" of this movie along with 30 or so others. It's a distinctly average action picture set mostly in the middle of the ocean on high end boat.

The acting and production are OK, but the film is let down by its structure and its general lack of suspense. I think it is supposed to a mixed genre film: action/suspense. A fundamental problem is that the action really only comes in the third act. The low budget for the film means that the action is of relatively low impact. Another fundamental issue is the lack of suspense in the movie. One of the main characters is obviously a sleaze-ball, so there is no surprise later when he isn't what he seems.

There is a lot of scenes of the high end boat which really could be taken directly from the manufacturer's sales video. One of these is used twice in the movie!

Ok to watch if you are streaming one evening, though frankly there are better things to watch.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's play truth or dare
nogodnomasters4 August 2019
Cooper (Judd Nelson) retires from the Marines. His wife Vivian (Brianne Davis) is a newscaster. Their friend John (Casper Van Dien) is a doctor and owns a yacht. He invites them for a vacation off the coast of the Virgin Islands where they bore us for an hour. It is clear John has designs for Vivian. The flaccid action starts at about an hour into the film.

Not worth the time. Predictable and boring.

Guide: F-word. sex. No nudity.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Dead Water
burlesonjesse531 July 2019
"Nothing but open water". Darn, if only my latest reviewed pic was as good as 2003's Open Water. Sigh

Anyway, a former Marine, his wife, and his best bud go on a boat trip only to be confronted by a pirate bent on robbing and killing them. That's just the surface with these wishy-washy characters (no pun intended). At ninety evaporating minutes, I give you the snaky and somewhat fizzled out, Dead Water.

"Water", with its overhead vessel shots and its one continuous (and confusing) flashback, feels like a low quota thriller with C-list stars you don't "see" much of anymore (Judd Nelson, Casper Van Dien). Part Midnight Crossing I suppose and part 1989's Dead Calm, Dead Water has a couple of neat, puzzle piece twists even though you can see them coming a mile away.

Directed by an unknown rookie (Chris Helton), shot in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and featuring a military dog tag throwing scene straight from the annals of "Maverick", "Water" feels all too brief while giving us only a conventional level of torrid strain. Heck, the credit titles "and Judd Nelson" are featured three times within Dead Water. Twice during the movie and once on "Water's" regular poster. It seems fitting because it only reminds us that swindler Nelson was actually in the darn thing. He sleepwalks through his role like a bloodhound on extra strength NyQuil.

The other actors are otherwise decent with Russell Crowe lookalike Griff Furst playing the PTSD-laden Marine named David (mentioned earlier). All in all, Dead Water is not really noir, it's not really camp, and it's not in a word, budget extravagant. It's just the type of flick you watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon. "Water" is over before you know it and then that 2:30 nap comes around. Rating: 2 stars.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.