Rust Creek (2018) Poster

(2018)

Nice Surprise
bobtis16 February 2019
I started this movie with little expectation, and found a hidden acorn. I really liked it, it was not just "wrong turn" movie the story had some substance. Acting was good and the story moved along with some twists and turns. Worth watching.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rarely do I give out an 8 out of 10!
coxpnw27 January 2019
I stumbled upon this movie but was worried about any graphic rape scenes that are included in so many of these type. I think it was very well done. There was action, drama, lots of twists and the acting was good. I really enjoyed just a great drama and thriller without the extra gore many other titles bring. It is definitely worth renting.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the Feminism-related Noise
alanfiske7 January 2019
Rust Creek is a good little drama/thriller. The story is pretty good. The directing, cinematography and acting are good. I don't remember any cringe-inducing moments where supposedly smart people do dumb things to move the plot along. And if there's an intended female empowerment message it's not obtrusive.

I know that in our current overly PC culture we have a few movies that are thinly-disguised excuses for male bashing (I'm looking at you "Bad Moms"), but this isn't one of them. The main (and only) female character is smart and brave but not unrealistically so. She worsens her situation by making some understandable mistakes. The three bad characters are made up of two men who are truly vile and one guy who, if left on his own, would probably make kinder choices but he's too stupid and weak to not go along with the other two. That's it for the bad men. All the other men have admirable character traits with one whose desire to fight injustice and protect the main character rises to the level of heroic.

This is a good movie made by competent people and I would recommend it.
44 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A Bad Little Film
gloopy-452397 January 2019
Read the mixed reviews on this but decided to give it a go, yes it's been done a million times over but have to admit, quite liked this one.I never give too much away, if i review anything but please give this one a go, i think you may be pleasantly surprised.
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad!
rupert-ian5 January 2019
Not sure what the one review is talking about with "feminist propaganda" but this movie wasn't like that at all. I can't stand SJW stuff and this movie didn't have anything in it that gave me that impression.

Cool thriller with a decent story, well acted, good characters.

Cool seeing this young woman knowing how to defend herself. Hopefully that inspires more to take their safety into their own hands. More women learning that would do way more to stop real sexual assault than the pink-hat hashtag movement of the week ever will.

I give it a 6.5/10
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Diamonds and Rust
slylea7 January 2019
Rust Creek was a thriller that managed to transcend the genre. The plot had sufficient intriguing twists and turns. More importantly, the main characters were well-acted, and they quietly engendered a strong sympathy. The screenplay was intelligent and well-crafted. The ending was unusually well-done, particularly for this kind of movie..
20 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thriller with a Heart of Gold
strangerinthealps4 January 2019
This one's definitely edge-of-your-seat, but there are several truly touching moments between the two main characters. Certainly worth a watch.
35 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average TV Movie
omendata5 January 2019
Having said that this isnt really that bad but its not really that good either.

I was hoping for a gruesome Wrong Turn clone but sadly not!

Some good acting, I have always liked John Marshall Jones and he puts in the best performance as always but the story has been done to death a hundred times before and there is no suspense or real drama.

Its pretty standard TV movie fair you would find on a wet Sunday afternoon on Paramount channel.
30 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good!
josiegirl054 January 2019
Well worth a watch, never dull and entertaining. Pretty much what you look for in a film.
33 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever
devynclaure_koa16 November 2018
Rust Creek had some clever twists that caught me by surprise. The scenery highlights the beauty in Kentucky's forests and it is great to hear that there is both a female director and writer.
43 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Balance Between Drama and Action/Thriller with A Fantastic Score
A_Nic5 January 2019
I was able to see Rust Creek at SDFF, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It wasn't too scary and had plenty of quiet, thoughtful moments. So it struck a nice balance between drama and action/thriller. I also love how much the environment played a part in the film, and how the Kentucky landscape is really featured. As much as I enjoyed the look and feel though, I have to say, the score is probably the highlight of the film for me.
18 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your average thriller
williamtdailey7 January 2019
Beautifully shot, very well-written, and wonderfully acted. Hermione Corfield is a new name for me but I suspect this film could do for her what Winter's Bone did for Jennifer Lawrence. Very strong performance and a very clever story. I stumbled onto this little gem while searching with my daughter for strong female leads and we loved it.
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
relies on the main character being an idiot
mcochrane-874005 May 2019
Once again,the whole premise of the movie is based on the fact that the main character has to be a complete idiot.

Maybe that's the theme with today's lack of common sense in people?

1) gets off highway to get past traffic. Fine, but follows "google maps" to a dead end. Instead of turning around and retracing her route, she continues until the road becomes nothing more than a path. 2) Stops,gets out of the car to read the map. Who the hell does that when it's cold outside? You sit in the seat, spread the map out in front of you and figure out where you are. DUH 3) Gets stabbed, runs away. Fine, Removes sweatshirt to patch stab, then leaves it behind. DUH 4) runs around for hours without tending the wound. Removes socks to treat wound the next day, removes socks to check, runs away yet again leaving "bandage" behind. 5) sees car wrecked by pursuers. Doesn't bother getting warm clothes, more items to bandage wound, immediately grabs phone and wanders around like a moron with her arm in the air looking for a signal once again, ignoring the wound in her leg.

I'm only 30 minutes in, I'll keep watching to see what other idiotic things she does.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing original
benjaminlauriesmith6 January 2019
Aside from the female lead it's a story that's been told before only this time with a weird relationship between the female lead and her would be criminal captor/rescuer It's TV drama level acting and direction with a dull story not helping it out. Pretty sure this would only appeal to those who have a great fear of being lost in hill billy land otherwise avoid watching
23 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Unique & Entertaining Indie Gem!
dzlcomedy28 December 2018
I came in expecting the stereotypical "damsel in distress" horror movie, but it turns out Rust Creek is not that. At all. Anchored by the impressive performances of Hermione Corfield and Jay Paulson, Rust Creek is a unique little tale that offers both entertainment and food for thought. All the supporting performances were excellent and I liked the fact that it was filmed in the Kentucky woods, something rarely seen in cinema. Always great to find an indie gem & this one checks all the boxes!
35 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was decent
mrssjbarnosky5 January 2019
I gave this a 7 because of the way some bits in it were a bit silly.

People would not just believe the first thing they see and you can't just bump off a police officer if you are a police officer yourself and within 2 minutes they are off the hook.

Other than that the trio of main leads were Strong, relatable and they kept me interested. The relationship between them is interesting and believable.

I enjoyed it, was worth a watch, different although it's not going to smash any records.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth it for the expression revealed in the last 30 seconds
mikehannah-629535 January 2019
Fine acting directed to perfection as an unlikely friendship evolves beautifully, to the final scene, to one of loyalty and possibly even love. Expect to be touched as chemistry sets the scene; not only in the talk when they cook, but the male-female kind too.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Thriller!
gmascari-908475 January 2019
This movie was absolutely thrilling. I was completely engaged the entire film and thought the storyline was both unique and suspenseful. 10/10 recommend for anyone looking for an intriguing plot that will certainly keep you guessing.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delicate Yet Powerful
alexandra-747-3688784 January 2019
Beautifully shot, delicately directed and acted. Production design was also really detail-oriented. And a lot of scores for films like this are somewhat cookie-cutter, but not Rust Creek! The composer did a standout job. I actually noticed how much I liked the music right away. Not to mention a handful of women behind the camera in key roles! Something I love to see. The acting really is phenomenal in this film. Hermione Corfield does such a great job, I almost forgot I was watching a movie. The relationships between the characters are believable and the pacing really kept me on my toes. I want to watch this one again because I feel like there are some details and things that I missed. It kept me on the edge of my seat and made me really take a hard look at how I would be able to survive in this kind of situation (not sure that I could, to be honest...). It was great!!
32 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The lifetime version of "I spit on your Grave"
tkaine39 January 2019
"Rust Creek" 5/10 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 This film has "I spit on your Grave" written all over it. Is it because of the outta town woman who becomes terrorized by the local hillbilly boys. Or maybe because the way she's injured and stuck in their neck of the woods clinging for dear life. It also could be the shaky unapologetic sheriff or other locals who seem to not have her best interests in mind not knowing what side of the fence they're on good or evil. Whatever the case may be this movie doesn't provide enough mystery it's very rushed and the predictability meter is off the charts. Even the way it ends just isn't plausible and seems very cheesy for the film to not put more effort into the final sequence. The acting wasn't too bad but nothing marvelous to hold your breath for. I thought the storyline was interesting enough to watch it all the way through but it wasn't worth the wait. I give this a 5 The film was Ok but I would say pass if it's a take it or leave it scenario.
14 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deliciously enjoyable
ben_fordham14 February 2019
Deliciously enjoyable thriller with taught acting, strong production, engaging characters and captivating story. Well worth time and money.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're all the stupid this family needs
nogodnomasters17 January 2019
Sawyer (Hermione Corfield) is going for a job interview and her GPS steers her wrong. She ends up in the middle of meth country where two yokels think she saw something and want her dead. Their cousin, who does the cooking in a remote trailer, hides her in plain sight.

This is another girl hunted in the woods film without the thrills of a decent chase and hunt. Sawyer is a long distance runner, which played slightly into the film but was not a major plot point without a flashback. I thought the acting was decent, but it was apparent they were struggling with a bad script. Hermione Corfield had a decent soft Southern accent for a Brit.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Plot Holes Than Swiss Cheese
james-135-97234312 January 2019
Too many plot holes in this film. A seemingly intelligent girl, relying on GPS and ends up on the beaten track. First of all, why not just turn around (like normal people would?). Secondly, when the Pritchet Brothers push Sawyer's car off the cliff (at the request of the Sheriff we find out), when the coast is clear, she doesn't grab her back and food/drink which considering she's injured and cold and needing sustinence would make sense, instead she just grabs her damaged mobile phone. At the point Deputy Nick gets shot by the Chief, I AM DONE. At a minimum, knowing the Sheriff is bent and must have some comprehension his (Nick) life is at risk - he'd have at least shot him in the leg or something to immobilize - no, he bends down for his dropped keys and winds up dead. Even the State Police are dumbasses and accept the evidence planted in Nick's locker after the Sheriff confirms he has "disappeared". Now, I have just lost interest. Not worth the $8 rental. Too many stereotypes with the rednecks in the woods - been done so many times before and so much better.
19 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting and Inspiring
lexbaughz24 December 2018
My friend and I caught an early screening of Rust Creek at Soho House in Chicago. We may have screamed through the whole thing - but this is truly an outstanding indie film. Hermione Corfield is outstanding in this - she has a big career ahead of her. Jay Paulson's performance is also very, very good. The movie is a thriller- but it is also incredibly inspiring, and it's wonderful testament to the strength of a woman. My friend and I left deciding to get self defense classes. A great movie for young women to see!
30 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stacks of tension that never lets up
SexyCinephile6 January 2019
My husband and I just streamed "Rust Creek". What a thrilling gut punch. Stacks of tension that never lets up. Great actors. Beautifully shot. Directed perfectly!! It is a MUST SEE!!!
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.