Fear Street: Part One - 1994 (2021) Poster

The definition of a mixed bag
yoshinaruto3 July 2021
I didn't read the Fear Street books growing up, although I did read Goosebumps. Considering this was an R rated adaptation, I was cautiously optimistic.

I loved the opening scene. It felt like a nice call back to Scream. It wasn't nearly as iconic, but it did enough right to set my expectations high. Then the plot starts developing, and it goes downhill fast.

The characters are mostly annoying. I could argue I mildly liked two of them, but that's it. The protagonist is incredibly self absorbed, and treats her ex horribly. We've got the nerdy kid who knows literally everything. The comic relief who has maybe two lines in the movie that aren't jokes. Etc.

Then there's the tone. The best way I could describe it is the kid friendly feel of the Goosebumps movie mixed with a slasher film. Anytime someone isn't being murdered, it's really light in tone and kinda jarring. The profanity and innuendos are present during these scenes, but they still feel very kiddish, for lack of a better word. The closest example I could think of for a movie like this is "Summer of '84", but that wasn't nearly as light, and it was far more consistent.

The 90's music, while good, is heavily overused. The early parts of the film feel like someone turned on a malfunctioning jukebox that switches songs every ten seconds. Sometimes less is more.

The horror scenes are actually really good. The opening scene and climax are my favorites, but I enjoyed the rest as well. If the entire film was as good as the horror, I'd honestly consider giving this a 9/10, but I kept getting taken out of the film when there was downtime. There was very little tension or decent drama, just an overly quick pace with humor and exposition to bridge the scares.

It's on Netflix, so if you're interested I guess it's worth a shot. I'm disappointed, as it could've been an absolute classic, but if it sounds like your kinda thing you might like it.
107 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Characters were so unlikeable
mz-kemp-199115 July 2021
Were we meant to hate everyone in the movie? Was that intentional?

Popular songs used in the background in a desperate attempt to make something about the movie seem good.

Awful disappointment.
75 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1994? Don't think so
angdebruin2 July 2021
I was really excited about this, thought it was going to be this nostalgic 90's vibe with real 90's feels like Stranger Things. Sadly they missed the mark for me. The clothes, hairstyles, the way they speak... It's all modern, definitely not the 90's. The acting is done well, but the story falls flat. Missing that thrilling element...
265 out of 398 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It didn't have the 90s feeling like it said. So much made no sense
WinterEcho5 July 2021
I wanted to like this so much, but it has so many errors and weird issues with it. It's the type of movie people will point out stuff nonstop that makes no sense.

I don't want to say anything ruining the story, but it's also weird this is a trilogy yet this movie kinda says everything that happens and who survives the other movies. Maybe there will still be some surprises in them though. Like it's weird to show the ending then say everything that happens before instead of letting those stories play out and leave surprises for them.

The whole movie also had a blue and dark filter over it which I didn't like. Even when they were in lightly lit rooms or looked like they were by a nightlight.

Just putting a dark filter over the whole movie doesn't make it scary.

Other than various 90s songs at the beginning almost none of it felt like a 90s movie or setting. Even literally copying a scene from Scream never gave that impression.

I was just really disappointed in this and it had so much potential that just feels completely wasted.
83 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cliche, terrible acting, just BAD all around
feelssorightx3 July 2021
This was such a let down. I was SO excited about these movies, I read goosebumps in elementary, and then absolutely loved the fear street books in junior high. It's like they packed every single cliche from the every popular scary movie and threw it into 1994. Oh, and they failed big time with the 1990s theme. The only thing 90s about this movie was all the top hits of the 90s played right after another. 🙄🙄 And the aol references, and one time the kid said whack lmao. This movie is funny in a bad way. Like it's so bad it's hilarious.😂 Maybe 1.5/10 ? I'll give it a 1.5 because the opening scene was nice, then it all went downhill.
128 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trying to hard
alyhammell2 July 2021
The story is ok. Guess it's based off a series of books. But it's as if they are shoving down the viewers throat that it's the early 90s. Based on the title alone we already know this. But the soundtrack is SUPER heavy handed (I joked with my SO that I was just waiting for Creep to play and Boom! There it is), wardrobe feels like what a gen z-er thinks ppl In the 90s looked like ( sooo many sun dresses with long sleeve shirts) and the script made sure in 90s slang like Whack which as a teenager in 1994 I don't know anyone that actually used it. You would sound like an idiot. Had to laugh when as they are pouring gas on the ground guess what song was playing?? You got IT... prodigy (firestarter). Lol. Come on Netflix. Do better.
155 out of 250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If "1994" is in the title of your movie...
Shazam-O10 July 2021
If "1994" is in the title of your movie, don't open with a song from 1995. (They also play Firestarter by Prodigy a spin which was released in '96.) But musical anachronisms aside, this is the laziest soundtrack in movie history. It's like they grabbed a "90s Hits" playlist off Spotify and cranked it up every five minutes just to let us know that it was the 90s. Because it sure didn't LOOK like the 90s, except for an AOL chat room and the 4,000 posters on the main character's bedroom walls.

Speaking of the main character... she should be LIKEABLE if she's fighting evil. Nobody wants to cheer for a jerk. Her brother is basically the only likeable character in the whole movie.

And speaking of characters... did they run out of budget before they could hire extras? The towns were nearly empty.

And speaking of empty... the plot holes (and the plot itself) make for a very bumpy ride. **SLIGHT SPOILER follows** That thing with the X's at the end didn't make sense to me. Why not just put them on a rag you can toss away in case you find yourself cornered?

All in all, it's not terrible if you want something you don't need to pay much attention to while eating some pizza on movie night.
42 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets worse by the minute
japileinchen3 July 2021
Had high expectations for this one but oh man what a letdown. After 5 minutes it was clear where this was heading to and it ain't nothing good.

The biggest problem of all: in absolutely no way felt like 90s. After Stranger Things setting the bar where it belongs you can't have half hearted mishaps like this.

Disjointed script, characters you just can't feel for and non flowing pacing.

One star for the selection of good songs which also turned against itself pretty quickly.

I got halfway through and had to give up. What a piece of steaming bad filmmaking.
95 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good bit of fun
mlwcsc2 July 2021
This movie was entertaining. Nothing exceptional, but a good bit of fun. Don't go into it expecting a masterpiece and you will probably have a good time.
101 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Slasher?
You've gotta be kidding me.

This movie has fun, a little surprises, however, I would suggest not to exceed your expectations before watching this movie. I'd been waiting to watch it for some time since it was announced by Netflix. It is, yet another, dark horrifying slasher. Haven't we watched the same again and again? This movie does have good fun though, you could enjoy it to some extent. Above Average. That's What a very good slasher movie can ho upto.
76 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable/cringeworthy/whatever other words mean not good
tonomigs2 July 2021
I started watching with 10 stars in mind. I dropped a star every time there was a cringeworthy scene from horrific writing/acting/directing. I got to 1 star pretty quickly. I gave it a bump to 2 stars since the soundtrack was on point. Should've leaned into a more comedic tone and it may have been decent. Since it did not and tried to actually be a nostalgic horror it becomes a non scary unwatchable whatever.
116 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
mightyjingles2 July 2021
The writing is extremely lacklustre and the entire plot is very predictable. It doesn't feel like the 90s at all. The victims are also not very smart, but no surprises there.
121 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining. Good, but not great.
thegriffenator2 July 2021
Predictable, perfectly ok acting, not enough gore, but still entertaining. Netflix strikes again with another slightly above average production. Maybe the second and third films will be better. Although the soundtrack contains a lot of great music, they tried way to hard to fit as many 90s songs in as possible and it gets a bit ridiculous by the end.
99 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, Not Great
laurenjfree2 July 2021
A fast paced and an entertaining watch, but Fear Street lacks the edge of your seat moments that horror movies require. There were some awkward tonal shifts and strange editing choices. That being said, it never tried to be something it wasn't. Some pretty cool needle drops and fairly gruesome horror elements really bring it to life. I doubt it will hold up upon rewatch, but definitely worth tuning in for. Can't wait for 1978 and 1666!
76 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I expected
Sandra-durand8010 July 2021
I remember reading the Fear Street books back in the 90's when I was 12 years old and transitioning into my teen years and with all due respect, this didn't feel like something out of a Fear Street novel. There are tons profanities and there are scenes not meant to be seen by a younger audience and I really don't recall reading about it in any of the books. I am sad because I was looking forward to this movie and it was okay. The acting was great but that's about it. They ruined it.
47 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the best
vitaliyhawes3 July 2021
This does not deserve high rating as it definitely does not feel like 1994. Poor acting and cliche cuts did not make me enjoy this movie.
63 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When will directors learn that music, if used sparingly can be effective.
michaeldanielbourke9 July 2021
But when it is overused and to loud it ruins atmosphere, not creates. Oh yes, also not great.
41 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't even finished it.
andreafurst-5812717 July 2021
I simply can not stand Deena. I couldn't even finished it. The plot is not really good and the acting is just bad.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very average
agbajelukmonola3 July 2021
It was overly predictable and with bad acting hawke killed it tho even if she was just shown at the beginning with limited screen time she should have been the lead.

Deena and Sam love story was meh beyond reason fighting because she moved half an hour away and because she isn't ready to come out to her parents, deena should have respected her decisions and I'm pretty much sure deena was the reason she decided to leave because she's Narcissistic only caring about her feelings and doesn't care about sam feelings and she broke up with her. That wasn't the end of it she eventually caused the accident that leads to the disturbance of the witch burial ground thus leading to the death of 5 innocent pple.

The plot was all over the place with so many not so good decisions made by the teenagers. The movie is not great but it's not 100% bad either and it wasn't even scary it's just a mess.
45 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the heck was that
Tyson-593362 July 2021
For a movie having fear in its name this wasn't frightening at all what the hell was this childish and predictable.
94 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My First Slasher Movie, by Fisher-Price...
faolanredwolf2 July 2021
I don't like RL Stein, he's a bad writer whos best ideas, are well known to have been ghost written. That said, this has little to do with his books. It's clearly made with teens in mind. That said all the 90s references and horror movie tropes, are going to be lost on the teens, who watch this as their first slasher.

If you want to watch a mild slasher movie, it's perfectly fine, but be warned it's about as scary as a glow in the dark Skelton.

FYI: I can't remember the last time, I was this bored watching a horror movie!
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High School Slasher Flick Part 1.
kenzibit4 July 2021
Lots of nostalgia from this movie. It started out nice and very interesting but from the middle to the end was so childish with nnrealistic runs. Some events folded out very nicely but not so many. Chuckled at some scenes and nearly lost interest. These kids were good at their performances though I must say but plot wasn't very well done and was a bit disappointed. Might be fun for the younger ones.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How many '94 era songs can we cram into this?
airborne_trooper2 July 2021
About a half hour into this disjointed mess and there's legit more 90's music at every turn than there is dialogue. Literally every single scene starts and/or ends with some song from the era and if it's not that, the rare time they actually are talking about something, it's being drowned out with more music.

I wanted to like this, but I'm over all this wannabe Stranger Things fad. That's all this is.
54 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes, having 0 expectations does not work
Marincho974 July 2021
The movie started off quite strongly (although the Scream homage came across a rip-off) but, as soon as Garbage's "Only Happy When It Rains", I was immediately taken aback; that song didn't came out until 1995; "More Human Than Human" and "Firestarter" also came out later in the decade.

Anyways, musical innacuracies aside, I was pretty dissapointed. I expected nothing from this movie and I was still let down, that says a lot.
45 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soundtrack OK, Rest not OK
tonytangney4 July 2021
A derivative low quality mishmash of other better teen movies. No actual 90s feel. Unlikeable whingy characters. It's very LBGTQ positive for pride month which will please some of the audience . There's 3 of them apparently.
42 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.