Fear Street: Part One - 1994 (2021) Poster

Member Berries
matthewssilverhammer20 July 2021
Fear Street seems to be made for people younger than me who wanna feel nostalgic for a time they didn't get to live through. (Are there any radio songs from 1994 NOT on this soundtrack?) To me, it was just a shoulder-shrug mixture of tedious plotting and mean-spirited (though impressively brutal) kills. The last 10 minutes were just barely good enough to make me wanna check out the sequels.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The definition of a mixed bag
yoshinaruto3 July 2021
I didn't read the Fear Street books growing up, although I did read Goosebumps. Considering this was an R rated adaptation, I was cautiously optimistic.

I loved the opening scene. It felt like a nice call back to Scream. It wasn't nearly as iconic, but it did enough right to set my expectations high. Then the plot starts developing, and it goes downhill fast.

The characters are mostly annoying. I could argue I mildly liked two of them, but that's it. The protagonist is incredibly self absorbed, and treats her ex horribly. We've got the nerdy kid who knows literally everything. The comic relief who has maybe two lines in the movie that aren't jokes. Etc.

Then there's the tone. The best way I could describe it is the kid friendly feel of the Goosebumps movie mixed with a slasher film. Anytime someone isn't being murdered, it's really light in tone and kinda jarring. The profanity and innuendos are present during these scenes, but they still feel very kiddish, for lack of a better word. The closest example I could think of for a movie like this is "Summer of '84", but that wasn't nearly as light, and it was far more consistent.

The 90's music, while good, is heavily overused. The early parts of the film feel like someone turned on a malfunctioning jukebox that switches songs every ten seconds. Sometimes less is more.

The horror scenes are actually really good. The opening scene and climax are my favorites, but I enjoyed the rest as well. If the entire film was as good as the horror, I'd honestly consider giving this a 9/10, but I kept getting taken out of the film when there was downtime. There was very little tension or decent drama, just an overly quick pace with humor and exposition to bridge the scares.

It's on Netflix, so if you're interested I guess it's worth a shot. I'm disappointed, as it could've been an absolute classic, but if it sounds like your kinda thing you might like it.
117 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I haven't been this disappointed in a movie in awhile.
kevin_robbins8 July 2021
Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021) is a movie my fiancée and I watched over the weekend on Netflix. The storyline focuses on a legendary evil within the town of Shadyville. When a group of teens notice a string of serial killings they track it back to the legend and try to find ways to stop it as the body count grows. This movie is directed by Leigh Janiak (Honeymoon) and stars Kiana Madeira (The Flash), Olivia Scott Welch (Shithouse), Benjamin Flores Jr (Ride Along) and Julia Rehwald (Where's Daren). The storyline for this is so poorly written it made my head hurt. The film tries really hard to have a coming of age feel to it like The Faculty, Stranger Things, etc but falls short due to poor writing. The film has no parents, teachers and one detective...but no police. You have tremendous deaths and great kills...then no police, no interviews, hell there's a crazy good bus scene, but no concerned bus driver? Really? The film focuses on special effects to try making up for the pathetic writing but it didn't work for me. RL Stine deserves credit for a great premise, but the screenplay writers did this film no favors. I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I'd score this a 4/10. I haven't been this disappointed in a movie in awhile.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and predictable
Lovefilms987629 August 2022
This film was ok in parts but with a few jump scenes overall it was boring and predictable. It wasn't scary at all even though there is some slasher scenes during the film. It didn't didn't seem like the 90s to me apart from when you see the old internet chat rooms! I know horror films do have a young cast but the kids in this look really young and we're not the best actors. It's not the worst horror I have watched but have seen a lot better. A lot of horrors especially new ones all seem the same. Unless your really bored I wouldn't bother with this one. There's not many good horror films on Netflix at the moment.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If "1994" is in the title of your movie...
Shazam-O10 July 2021
If "1994" is in the title of your movie, don't open with a song from 1995. (They also play Firestarter by Prodigy a spin which was released in '96.) But musical anachronisms aside, this is the laziest soundtrack in movie history. It's like they grabbed a "90s Hits" playlist off Spotify and cranked it up every five minutes just to let us know that it was the 90s. Because it sure didn't LOOK like the 90s, except for an AOL chat room and the 4,000 posters on the main character's bedroom walls.

Speaking of the main character... she should be LIKEABLE if she's fighting evil. Nobody wants to cheer for a jerk. Her brother is basically the only likeable character in the whole movie.

And speaking of characters... did they run out of budget before they could hire extras? The towns were nearly empty.

And speaking of empty... the plot holes (and the plot itself) make for a very bumpy ride. **SLIGHT SPOILER follows** That thing with the X's at the end didn't make sense to me. Why not just put them on a rag you can toss away in case you find yourself cornered?

All in all, it's not terrible if you want something you don't need to pay much attention to while eating some pizza on movie night.
66 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1994? Don't think so
angdebruin2 July 2021
I was really excited about this, thought it was going to be this nostalgic 90's vibe with real 90's feels like Stranger Things. Sadly they missed the mark for me. The clothes, hairstyles, the way they speak... It's all modern, definitely not the 90's. The acting is done well, but the story falls flat. Missing that thrilling element...
260 out of 389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Slasher?
You've gotta be kidding me.

This movie has fun, a little surprises, however, I would suggest not to exceed your expectations before watching this movie. I'd been waiting to watch it for some time since it was announced by Netflix. It is, yet another, dark horrifying slasher. Haven't we watched the same again and again? This movie does have good fun though, you could enjoy it to some extent. Above Average. That's What a very good slasher movie can ho upto.
80 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not what I expected
Sandra-durand8010 July 2021
I remember reading the Fear Street books back in the 90's when I was 12 years old and transitioning into my teen years and with all due respect, this didn't feel like something out of a Fear Street novel. There are tons profanities and there are scenes not meant to be seen by a younger audience and I really don't recall reading about it in any of the books. I am sad because I was looking forward to this movie and it was okay. The acting was great but that's about it. They ruined it.
51 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was supposed to be scary?!
maerlyn1386 January 2022
As a lifetime connoisseur of horror I have to say that this was a huge letdown. Nothing about this movie was scary. It was more like an extended mixtape for teenagers who like 90's music. Painful to watch.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an interesting watch.
Sleepin_Dragon18 July 2021
Shadyside, a town with a bloody past, and following recent events, a bloodthirsty present.

I thought the opening scenes were great, I was instantly reminded of Scream, it's a slasher movie, but it's a little different. I like how bleak it is, and naturally it's made with today's politics. A few scenes feel like they've been lifted from other films, but I suppose there are only so many ways of doing things.

So to begin with, it looks good, even though it perhaps doesn't look very 1994, not sure I remember it being such a high glam era.

Best of all is the music, I don't care what anyone says, this was a great era for music, way ahead of the trash today, we have Radiohead, Portishead, and several other classics.

I see number's two and three are out, talk about an impatient audience.

It kept me entertained, 6/10.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Characters were so unlikeable
mz-kemp-199115 July 2021
Were we meant to hate everyone in the movie? Was that intentional?

Popular songs used in the background in a desperate attempt to make something about the movie seem good.

Awful disappointment.
79 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High School Slasher Flick Part 1.
kenzibit4 July 2021
Lots of nostalgia from this movie. It started out nice and very interesting but from the middle to the end was so childish with nnrealistic runs. Some events folded out very nicely but not so many. Chuckled at some scenes and nearly lost interest. These kids were good at their performances though I must say but plot wasn't very well done and was a bit disappointed. Might be fun for the younger ones.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It didn't have the 90s feeling like it said. So much made no sense
WinterEcho5 July 2021
I wanted to like this so much, but it has so many errors and weird issues with it. It's the type of movie people will point out stuff nonstop that makes no sense.

I don't want to say anything ruining the story, but it's also weird this is a trilogy yet this movie kinda says everything that happens and who survives the other movies. Maybe there will still be some surprises in them though. Like it's weird to show the ending then say everything that happens before instead of letting those stories play out and leave surprises for them.

The whole movie also had a blue and dark filter over it which I didn't like. Even when they were in lightly lit rooms or looked like they were by a nightlight.

Just putting a dark filter over the whole movie doesn't make it scary.

Other than various 90s songs at the beginning almost none of it felt like a 90s movie or setting. Even literally copying a scene from Scream never gave that impression.

I was just really disappointed in this and it had so much potential that just feels completely wasted.
84 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good bit of fun
mlwcsc2 July 2021
This movie was entertaining. Nothing exceptional, but a good bit of fun. Don't go into it expecting a masterpiece and you will probably have a good time.
104 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trying to hard
alyhammell2 July 2021
The story is ok. Guess it's based off a series of books. But it's as if they are shoving down the viewers throat that it's the early 90s. Based on the title alone we already know this. But the soundtrack is SUPER heavy handed (I joked with my SO that I was just waiting for Creep to play and Boom! There it is), wardrobe feels like what a gen z-er thinks ppl In the 90s looked like ( sooo many sun dresses with long sleeve shirts) and the script made sure in 90s slang like Whack which as a teenager in 1994 I don't know anyone that actually used it. You would sound like an idiot. Had to laugh when as they are pouring gas on the ground guess what song was playing?? You got IT... prodigy (firestarter). Lol. Come on Netflix. Do better.
147 out of 236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst 30 minutes ever
chris_rowe-881-16882013 July 2021
I love horrors I'd say I'm a bit of an aficionado and although comedy horror is my jam I love a slasher! I was bought up with the summer films, scream etc, this films first 30 minutes we're about as awful as I've ever seen, too dark, rubbish characters, I just think the nineties worked as technology was there but not great so people had social skills, writing for today is writing for angry confused entitled clones.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid movie
willandcharlenebrown27 April 2022
Bad acting, bad cinematography, worn out story line, and weak jump scares. Haha a wannabe scary movies series that isn't worth your time. Oh my gosh what a stupid movies and series.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yikes
patrickharding-630139 January 2022
Worst horror movie I've seen in a decade. Not scary. Not funny Not original. A holy hot mess A shame given some of the no name actors are actually likeable but they script is the only part that is horrifying.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mid-90's Slasher Flick Nostalgia
Idle_Hands082 July 2021
If you thought you were going to enjoy this film (part I)... Like me, you'd be right...!

Scream, Urban Legend and the like, all play their roles in this film... and you gotta love that. You must know that it's hard to live up to these types of films that shaped the genre, especially in the 89s and 90s... Just enjoy it for what it is...

The set design and colour grading will remind you of Stranger Things, no problem there, and the writing is taken from a Goosebumps story, adapted to suit the intended outcome. Even though it's only part I, I'm really looking forward to it being ready as a full trilogy from the outset. It's rated R due to the gore, but definitely has a more PG-13 type of feel to it, and not as intense as the 90's features previously mentioned. The reason being, it's just not really funny enough or scary enough... It needed to be both or focus on one or the other, that's why we will find it's rating no higher than 6/10...

The actors are well cast and you will recognise some of them from other teen-comedy-dramas on Netflix. It's good to see them in these roles paying homage to the slasher flick's of yesteryear... The Shadyside and Sunnyville town names were great, and reminded me of the Shellbyville / Springfield rivalry from the Simpson's. The 90's music, products, and early internet usage were fun to watch. The story moves at a good pace and will keep you entertained, of course the main and ultimate goal...!

Watch and enjoy...
44 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, Not Great
laurenjfree2 July 2021
A fast paced and an entertaining watch, but Fear Street lacks the edge of your seat moments that horror movies require. There were some awkward tonal shifts and strange editing choices. That being said, it never tried to be something it wasn't. Some pretty cool needle drops and fairly gruesome horror elements really bring it to life. I doubt it will hold up upon rewatch, but definitely worth tuning in for. Can't wait for 1978 and 1666!
76 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A serviceable slasher tribute and a very solid RL Stine adaptation albeit cliche.
tresm872 July 2021
Anything related to the legendary RL Stine is intriguing in my book. He has always nailed the tween/teen horror genre and this might honestly be the best adaptation we've gotten so far. The witty comedy stays true to the old stories as well as the brutality that surely hasn't been shown in any goosebumps series or movie yet. Blending all this together is the director's ode to 90s style slashers in the visuals and atmosphere of this intro film in the trilogy. This really could've been released in 1996 and we wouldn't know the difference. The cast is very well put together and bring these characters from the books to life very well. While sometimes the overall delivery can get cliché it's still maintains a great deal of entertainment value, and I can't wait to see what the next two films have in store in the fear street trilogy.
57 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent enough mid-nineties set teen slasher film
Tweekums12 July 2021
The town of Shadyside, Ohio has had an unusually high murder rate throughout its existence. Every few year it seems there is another massacre perpetuated by a previously normal person; some link these the execution of a witch in 1666. In the opening sequence there is another; a young man in a skeleton mask kills seven people in a mall before being shot by the police. After a vigil for those killed leads to confrontation with kids from the 'perfect' neighbouring town; this ends in an incident involving protagonist Deena and other Shadysiders and a trio from Sunnyvale, including Deena's ex, Samantha, and her new boyfriend. In the aftermath Sam disturbs some bones in an unmarked grave. Soon afterwards Deena sees somebody in a skeleton mask... a person trying to scare people or something more sinister? Given the genre we know it is the latter; it appears that those at the scene of the incident are about to be hunted down.

To fully appreciate this film it will probably be necessary to watch the remaining two parts of the trilogy; that said the story does feel complete. It starts really well with a scene that is a clear nod to 'Scream'. It then quickly introduces the main protagonists and through Deena's brother's fascination with the town's macabre history we learn about various past killings. Once it is clear what was happening there were plenty of scary moments and a few gory kills... especially two near the end involving characters I thought might survive. There is plenty of '90s music to remind us when it is set; perhaps a bit too much at times. The cast do a solid enough job; certainly better than some of those who starred in classic, dirt-cheap, early slashers. If I have a real complaint it is that it is about twenty minutes too long. Overall though I thought this was a decent enough slasher film that fans of the genre will probably want to check out; hopefully the next two films will be as good or better.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really not that bad
UniqueParticle23 August 2021
For a horror buff I should've watched sooner but don't use Netflix as much as other services. I'm not sure why people bashed part one so much even if some of the characters are unlikeable it's well filmed, Stylish, and very entertaining! For some reason I love high school stories so I appreciate this despite anything negative. The music is so good and some of scenes are exciting; I'm glad I decided to watch Netflix!
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was a let down
tampaaries3 October 2021
I watched about 30 minutes of this movie and I had enough. This movie was boring! Nothing 90's about it except the music and on top of that it wasn't scary at all. A huge let down.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad teenager horror flick..
aryopermono20 March 2022
First of all...

Where are the adults in this movie??

Why are those kids live alone..

Why there are no adult doctor in the hospital?

Why there is no security guard or some sort..

Are the adult in this movie only the sheriff?

The story just doesn't make any sense..

I know that the writer intended to make a teenager movie, but please put more sense into it..

You can't ignore normal adult people in your movie, eventough your movie is teenager movie..

What kind of world is that? Non-adult Paralel universe?

I think the horror concept is good..But the story writer makes it look stupid..
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.