Being Frank (2018) Poster

(2018)

They pulled it off!
stevepat9911 September 2019
Comedy about a man living a double life with two families for 20 years? Movies with such serious seeming themes are not made for comedies. Walking the line if a tough act which, when accomplished, usually results in classic type black comedies. In this case Frank's writers pull it off in fun and also serious fashion. Son Philip and dad Frank are both likeable and do well acting. The remainder of the cast also does well. The writer(s) win the day crafting a dandy back story and current goings on. Frank's effort to convince his son Philip that he did the 'right' thing, embarking on a double life, given the circumstances. What else was a man to do!

The writers missed a final fun twist. They could have had wife #2 announce her first child was not Franks removing a major obstacle to sibling love.

That aside, well done!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
quite a pleasure
ops-5253510 September 2019
Infidelity and adultry, siblings and halfsiblings, a wife here and a wife there, never mind it tastes good, the bitter taste comes in the end whatever you do

its a comedy with a bit seriousity, alot of hide and seek, some teenage festival humour, and a whole lot of family-business. its the story about the man that has made himself two families, and have lived that life successsfully for nearly 20 years till the day he is being disclosed by one of his somns, and so the blackmailing and the whole charade starts.

its quite an original turn on the idea, and the sort of filmgenre that is hard to make a good ending on, but i think they do it well, and the acting are allover pretty good and you really feel the desperation at times. some may feel the makers are just scratching the surface of the topic , but its meant to be a comedy, and they have made a good one too( i skiped dinner to end the film)

so the grumpy old man recommends a view of this family bundle, its good and its fun...
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite Clever & Funny
larrys311 September 2019
I thought this movie was quite clever and funny. Logan Miller portrays Philip, a teenager who decides on spring break to deceive his parents and head up to the lakeside Starling Festival with his best friend.

However, upon arrival, he will get the shock pf his life when he discovers his father (Jim Gaffigan) has a complete second family. Of course, from there things will get very, very complicated.

All in all, this type of movie is not easy to get all the pieces to fit together. But I thought director Amanda Bailey and writer Glen Lakin did well here to get the elements to gel nicely. Although the movie can be sad and cutting at times, I did find myself laughing a lot and I really enjoyed the film.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only Frank could be frank ...
silverturquoise18 September 2019
I really enjoyed this clever comedy about Frank, and its deep dive down the rabbit hole of the life of a creative bigamist. The script and characters are hilarious, and I knew from the moment the plot and cast were revealed in the trailer that this was going to be a riproaring little gem. This is the directorial debut for Miranda, and it's great to see a female director and Skidmore alum step up and excel with such a bold film. Don't miss it!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Title and revenue problems
4friedchickensandacoke15 September 2019
First of all this title should be Being Frank ' period! No 'you can /can't choose your family., terrible terrible title not to say the title also gives away the plot instead of being surprised 15 ministers in. Also what's with this $67,000 box office revenue ? Typo or extremely poor marketing? This title and movie should have gone straight to Netflix ( do not pass Go) . I hope the marketing team was fired for this stupid idea of spending close to a year to get it in the theatres. When streaming is the new media for 2 star movies.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy Polygamy
dgrenaud12 September 2019
Wanting to despise Frank, the polygamist, but fascinated by his incredible ability to secretly juggle two families successfully, this movie made me feel uncomfortable, but I couldn't stop watching the movie nd laughing despite the tension. When one of his sons confronts him with the truth, Frank claims to love both his families. Can it be true? Will he lose the love of both families, as he predicts, if the secret is revealed? The ending of this high comedy is satisfying and even heart warming. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and thought the acting was excellent and the story believable.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it works, it's fun and funny
Rob-O-Cop12 September 2019
I was worried by the 5.6 rating but that's not the reality of this movie. It's well put together, complex, funny and fun. Jim Gaffigan is perfect as the two timing dad, he pulls it off with believable self unawareness, clumsily but surely getting himself into and out of tight spots. All the cast were good and it was a clever and complicated set up to pull off. Writing, editing and directing this piece wouldn't have been easy so full credit for a well executed end product. The film ending was the least strong part of the story but really where could it have gone and remained believable? It was left a little open ended, and that's probably for the best, although the happy ending junkies that we are would have hoped for a tidy finish, the one they chose left you to think a little after the movie finished.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a feat
Gordon-1114 September 2019
This film tells the story of a young man who discovers that his father has another family.

The plot may sound sad and offensive, but the film is actually quite funny. Even though the father has committed such an act, the film portrays him sympathetically and makes you feel for him. It is quite a feat to turn a monstrous life of lie into a comedy.
Fairly amusing
franklindf12 September 2019
I wouldn't say this movie primarily is a comedy. The subject matter is approached with enough clarity and depth that you sense the emotional situation family members find themselves in when they find out their father/husband is leading a double life. If it were purely a comedy, they would gloss over the emotions and drama. The delivery nevertheless is entertaining and there are some laughs along the way. The main actor who plays the father mostly carries the movie, with help from the son character - the other actors are mostly just filler or placeholders and don't really add much. The movie introduces the premise in a fairly amusing way, nicely setting up the plot. But then it drifts for quite a while and really you're only watching at that point to see how it ends. Not a great movie but I haven't seen anything else tackle some of the subject matter quite the same way and so it gets some points for originality.
I enjoy it
takumimitsui12 September 2019
Is a family story.. that a guy frank married 2 wife until his son suddenly find him.. With his daughter soon fallen in love with his other son Philip.. luck not stick forever soon both of his wife meet..
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought this was going to be better
Wasn't really funny. Laughed a few times but ya nothing special about this film. The Ross character was the best I thought.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.