The Commodore Story (2018) Poster

Great stories. Bad film making.
rikki-107 July 2018
The film maker appears at the start introducing and narrating but he is not skilled in front of camera and it starts off on the wrong foot. Then we get choppy cuts on interviews, accidental shaky cam on constantly annoying slider shots and strange zooms on static photos. A lot of recent Commodore films have been made so this is too little too late and unfortunately badly executed.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting story. Not so great video.
macjohnmcc26 April 2018
Throughout the story music plays over the top of people talking making it difficult to hear them clearly. At times a bass line is thumping over the talking. Other times the talking in one scene is much louder or quieter than the previous. It really suffers from poor editing more than from the content. I think all of the background music should be stripped from the video or at least removed from segments where people are talking. It is especially grating when someone is talking with a noisy background and the music is playing over the top.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting story let down by a poor documentary
toshxs-1831013 July 2018
Dry, that's probably the best explanation of what's wrong with this documentary.

While the stories are interesting and let you into another time of computers, when there was an almost hippy ethic to getting products to market, the interviews get a little boring after a while, major figures are introduced without fanfare so it's hard to keep a track on who was important and who's not. But the worst part is there is very little in the respect of showing off the hardware or the software, just a lot of talking heads.

example: "People are still programming games for the Commodore 64 and Amiga" - then show you no examples or even box art.

It suffers from the Star Trek Paradox. We must get to point A, the whole fleet is there ready to engae the big ship that's chasing us. Big ship disables the Enterprise and we never get the (hopefully) special effect laden space battle we were promised.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would have deserved much more..
tszula27 July 2018
It is confusing. Difficult to follow who is who. The models are not really secribed or compared. No games are shown as examples or music or demos showed.

It could have be much more interesting and nostalgic. Difficult to watch this long.

But all in all thank you for making it as it shows so much infos we could not knwo before. And also for paying respect to these beautiful creations.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but we've been here before.
mf281229 April 2018
As stated, this is a good documentary, but many of the stories have already been told in "From Bedrooms To Billions - The Amiga Years". Still definitely worth a watch though.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been interesting
bartmueller6 October 2018
Interesting facts and insights, but told in a boring and lengthy way. I got my VIC 20 when I was 14, and should have been thrilled, but I could not stand this documentary through.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.