Enemy Within (2019) Poster

(2019)

Not filmed in Hawaii, what could go wrong
cedric-594-11883310 September 2020
The original events would have made a better story. The most unHawaiian movie about Hawaii. Everything was off. From houses to clothes. Hawaiians didn't hunt boar with long bows and who spears fish that way. What Nisei speaks with a Japanese accent. It would have helped if the film makers did a little research before the filmed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very slow movie
Mah_Jam15 August 2019
The events in the movie are very slow, that I almost fell asleep. There are also many scenes in Japanese where you can't understand what's happening but you have to guess. And the end is not good. In short, the movie can be shortened to a half an hour instead wasting two hours on such slow movie.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i know im sitting on the dayside of the earth
ops-5253513 August 2019
But even as hawaiian this story was it was barely a mediocre one. if you expect war your lost, if you would like some harakiri then your in. you will also find a whole lot of village around the bonfire talking or walking and not much more than that. there are some fistfights between friends , and foes too. itll may have some appeal for the right wing japanese audiences, because it has some japanese imperialism in its hidden agenda.

the acting are at b and c level, the locations and settings are rather like ''your mama and my mama, sitting by the fire'', and feels like a bunch of locals in a theater company joining forces to tell their part of the islands war history.

the grumpy old man saw it and will attend the haugesund international film festival later today
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So.....
rhilseberg14 November 2020
Fascinating true story but....low budget? The first half hour of dialogue could have come from a Gilligan's Island script. In the final scene, the US soldiers land on the beach in fiberglass Boston Whalers....in 1941?
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
minor spoilers - story based on pearl harbor event
ksf-29 November 2020
Spoilers... Theoretically taking place in December of 1941, one of the japanese bomber pilot crash lands near one of the hawai'ian islands. the islanders save him, before they know who he is or the role he has played. much discussion over what to do; they are worried that the Japanese military may be coming to rescue the pilot. also arguments over his military papers that may or may not exist, who may have them, and what they could contain. one big weakness -- the clothing, the speech and mannerisms are all very modern and americanized, so you have to buy into that. no effort seems to have been made to the fact that this took place in 1941. and the residents speak very modern english, and keep throwing in hawai'ian nouns, almost to convince us they really are islanders. Shown on roku streaming channel. Written and directed by scottish Gabriel Robertson, which explains why this seems to be a UK production. a whole bucket of violence near the end. and the credits indicate that this is based on a real event, supposedly describing what happened to the various characters in the story. some went to jail. some were sent to interment camps, as was the custom after WW II broke out. others were recognized for their bravery during the events. it's pretty good, if you just follow along and don't question too much.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't watch this crap.
psxexperten20 August 2019
One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. Won't waste many words on this review. I was hoping for some action but fell asleep instead until the last 15 minutes when there was some action.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie of unknown heros
bethtrice11 January 2021
I had no idea that this story existed. While somewhat slower in places, this movie was excellent in showing the conflicted, raw emotions that would have been felt when this occurred. Don't miss out.
Not accurate at all
wstetler514 December 2020
Not accurate at all. Much of The movie plays with the facts in that how the Japanese soldier was killed and how one of the people who helped them escape committed suicide. After the tribal leader was shot he gathered enough strength to throw the Japanese soldier out the door of the building and into a stone wall while the soldier was laying there his wife crushed his skull with a rock. As far as the person who committed suicide he blew off his head with a shotgun not a pistol.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good, but not awful.
FreddyShoop20 November 2020
First, the Niihau Incident is a great dramatic story from WWII, so why mess with it and change things. I'd give the director a pass on the plane crashing into the ocean instead of a field, because I'm sure that dropped the budget a lot (easier to fake in a pool). But, the other changes are rather insulting, primarily because they aren't better or more dramatic than the truth. I guess they wanted make up the actions and motivations of the Japanese so it might balance out some sort of morality tale. Weird.

Second, while the performances and productions weren't bad per se, it came across more as TV quality, rather than cinematic. Some of the dialogue was clunky, simplistic and didn't work.

Meh.
I loved it
glensarahs3 August 2020
I LOVED IT. I am wondering why it doesn't mention it is based on a true story. When I click on the wikipedia link, it uses this title and brings up the title but then changes it to the tv series with a similar name. I can't find any information about the events it is based on outside of the movie.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as people here make it out to be
radovicivan16 February 2020
Sure the movie is slow its not an action movie its full of suspense and drama especially towards the end the last 30 minutes save the movie, you have to be in the right mood to enjoy this film and its not for everyone but its far from being a bad flick.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.