The Resident (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

It's not House, M.D.. But a suitable replacement.
pam47230 July 2018
Love this show!!! A suitable replacement for House M.D. that I mourned for ages. Yes, it isn't 100% medically accurate. But if a TV show was 100% medically and ethically accurate, it would be boring as hell. 90% of the show would be watching them do paperwork and clean up poo.

The storyline is entertaining. The protagonist characters are very likable and relatable. The antagonists are the hospital equivalent of Marvel villians.

I adore that there is FINALLY a TV series I enjoy and can watch with my Mother without having to hear her complain about inappropriate content.

Well done, Fox. Now if only you'd bring back "Surviving Jack".....
46 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different than every other hospital drama
molda219 September 2018
Sure, most other hospital dramas touch on the broken American healthcare system but The Resident is the first one to make is the focus. Sure, it's kind of corny at times, but at its root it has a great heart - nurses being the unsung heroes, insurance company super villains, new technologies lost on aging surgeons unwilling to hang up their stethoscopes, and the treatment of patients as numbers instead of human beings by hospital administration. Sometimes the way the patients are talked about and treated by the hospital management is harder to watch than any surgical treatment. It's worth a watch.
36 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great dramatic portrayal of the deficiencies in American medical care
mplesset-834-24275527 February 2018
Chillingly accurate portrayal of contemporary American medicine - driven by big money more than quality of care, insurance the determining factor for decisions, and with a veil of secrecy to cover up disasters. Quotes the true fact that preventable medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in the U.S., after heart disease and cancer. That all makes for great drama, but it's not an exaggeration of the situation with U.S. health care. In addition, the human relationships between the characters, both doctors and patients, are believable. The realistic accuracy of the plots makes this not just another soap opera set in a hospital, but a very compelling drama.
79 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this show!
FitzSimmonsAOS27 March 2018
I seriously don't understand why people don't like this show. It's so entertaining and exciting, there's always something intense going on and the characters are great. It may not be completely realistic in terms of the medical detail and how hospitals actually run, but you can't expect a medical drama to be 100% accurate, and it also has to be entertaining so even if some things are incorrect I don't see the issue if they change some things to make it more engaging. I'm enthralled by every episode. A must watch in my opinion!
42 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watched one episode... great cast
rehabdoc30 January 2018
Show seems OK so far. Really excellent cast, likeable and good actors. Definitely on the melodrama side. Moralizing definitely on the heavy handed side.

Do note that a large number (16%) of the 1 votes are clearly politically motivated, from conservatives, because of the liberal slant of the undocumented immigrant plot line.

This show is far from perfect on the medical details, but the 1s are undeserved in my opinion and the lack of scores in the 2-6 range are really telling, with most scores 8-10.
38 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New Favorite Show
karatio9 April 2018
I love both main actors, so that makes this show fun. But I especially appreciate the truth about the medical field being exposed. Even if it's a bit exaggerated (which I don't need think it is), it's definitely close to the money. Great acting all- around. Sure hope it gets a second season!!
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch judge for yourself
bjapexnc26 January 2018
I actually like and hate the show at the same time. While I like the doctors and nurses I stay angry with the administrative side of things and those who are representing them. While some reviews here say how unrealistic the show is the most unrealistic part is the doctors who stand up to the bureaucrats. If you are a patient who has been turn down because you didn't have the money or insurance to pay for the needed medical attention you know it is closer to reality then those here want to admit. I say watch it and judge for yourself. If you can get past wanting to punch the head of surgery then you might just find that you like it.
37 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does what it´s supposed to do - entertain
halbdunkel23 January 2018
I get that there are series out there, that are much more medically acurate. And yes, The Resident plays with stereotypes and clichés. But it does so in a really entertaining way. So I do not get the negativity. I really enjoyed the first and second episode and look forward the what´s coming.
38 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show - great message....
DreamyOneNumber115 April 2018
I've very much enjoyed this show for a variety of reasons. I like the premise. The writing for the most part, is excellent, The acting is perfect. The story lines, despite the fact that they might scare people, are sadly true. If it takes a drama to get the message across to folks, so be it.

I have no complaints about the show. The cast members are well suited for their roles. While the fact that doctors lie about the conditions of patients and then treat patients for non-existent conditions might make people uncomfortable, I know these behaviors to be true and accurate. I'm also aware of doctors with medical conditions who should have retired long ago. This is real life, folks, and it's being brought to you on the small screen.

Think about some of the messages here. Treatment of poor versus rich... Doctors who shouldn't be operating, operating. Doctors treating non-existent illnesses to make a buck... Medical errors. Disasters covered up....

Watch it. You'll understand why it's imperative that you take a pro-active position in your own medical treatment after seeing this.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF??? People chill , it is a bloody TV show!!!
g4557631 January 2018
It's a TV show and stop saying that it is inaccurate, it's normal no one will use it as a guide for medicine in real life at least no one with brains! Not the most original storyline, but it does entertain, it's full with passion .
45 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spot On!!
lastarling-682339 May 2018
I have worked in surgery for many years, and this is the most realistic show ever produced. The bureaucracy that exists in "for profit" hospitals, and the surgical "cover-ups" are not exaggerations! It's all about the money! GREAT SHOW!
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the critics. Go and watch it first.
fahadshaikh-2718422 January 2018
Just watched The Resident today. Amazing show, cast is good too. It's still new so the storyline won't be as clear this early but I'll stick to it.

But what I don't understand is the negative reviews. I mean what did you expect from a medical show? Guns blazing or comic characters? It's supposed to be contained in a hospital where there are doctors nurses and other stuff, follows their life. Are they supposed to have different lives or what. I mean yes it has some similarities with greys anatomy, night shift and Chicago med but again it's a medical show. It's like saying, why The Punisher and Daredevil have the same villains, same base ie fighting villains. I thought it was pretty decent. Don't listen to the critics go and watch it, then choose.
40 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep it going
sarawasefpass4 March 2018
I am a huge fan of medical dramas and I am aware that the information is not as medically accurate, but I love how the show addresses the emotional aspect of being a doctor. On top of that, it is thrilling, entertaining and the acting is impeccable. I love the presence of a diverse cast and especially Nic's role. This show deserves to keep going!
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Develops well as it continues
jmrx-242-21832512 March 2018
I don't even like medical dramas, and I like this one. Many of the reviews here are from those who only watched the pilot, which I admit showed a rather surface-level power clash of the two main characters. But as the show has gone on (I just finished S1 E6), it has gotten increasingly interesting and much smoother to watch. I mainly started watching because of Matt Cuzchry, and he holds down the cast with a strong performance every episode. I am fascinated with their exploration of corruption in hospitals (although I think it is exaggerated at times, but what drama isn't?!), and they do weave that theme into every episode.

Good overall mix of medical drama, a romance, and individual character stories that have gotten more complex and real. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it for yourself! It's not bad!
fatelovesthefearless18 March 2018
It's not the greatest medical drama and does not compare to ER as far as realism goes but as a nurse most of the medical stuff is correct and every show gets stuff wrong so don't not like a medical show because it's not 100% accurate.

I like that they have taken this show on from a different angle - money and corruption! I don't live in the USA but I imagine this is actually quite accurate in the way hospitals are run and that it is all about money and not necessarily doing what's best for the patient.

The characters so far are interesting - I'm 7 episodes in and I like that some patients are in it for longer than an episode. There are characters you want to root for the do gooders and there are characters you love to hate who are selfish, rich and really in the wrong business. Oh and there's a main character that's a nurse which is always a plus since we basically make the hospitals run!

So if you like medical dramas give it a go! I've seen them all - ER is the best, I've got a soft spot for Greys Anatomy even though sometimes it's ridiculous m, Code Black is great, Chicago Med is alright, The night shift was good. They are all entertaining so in my mind they do what they are suppose to!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The negative reviewers here must be in the medical field. lol
scrooloosek23 January 2018
I have watched the first hour. It gives your the dark reality of medical field in America. I have personally viewed some of this and know it to be true. Why do you think Medical Billers are making soo much money? The more money they make for doctors via reimbursements they happier they are. I am talking about reimbursements of the ICD 9 and 10 coding. Most think Obama care is great and Trump care (even though it does not exist yet) is bad. Try asking someone who is on the current government medical on how it is. There are more and more doctors that are pulling out of Obama care on a daily basis. The medical field in America is about money not helping the patients. This is what this show creates. So watch both parts and decide. This show has a lot of potential. I laugh at the show because some of this stuff I have seen and now they are letting the true cat out of the bag.
50 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good show for REGULAR people
ai-1635224 February 2018
Since the classic drama, ER, I believe this has been probably the best medical show so far. The pace is good, and the characters are very clear. The storyline is attracting, hope this show gets renewed for next season. Btw, don't listen to those people giving negative reviews. Not every audience is professional in medical field, but I've been to the emergency room and experiencing the hospital system, I know how chaotic and crazy it. I would say The Resident reminds people to question the current healthcare environment and policy, only improvement gets life better.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining
anndi1623 January 2018
I thought this show was very good. Entertaining. Pretty good cast - great acting and it moves pretty quickly. Makes me want to see the next episode!
41 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly Entertaining!!!
lorivand23 January 2018
The Resident is cleverly done. Great Actors and Actresses. You get completely caught up in the story lines and the characters. A step up in the medical profession with what's coming next! Love it!
34 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Entertaining
tronics9712 February 2018
This show is very entertaining and keeps you watching for a full hour, Matt Czuchry does an outstanding job and is a great leading man for the show. The show is a bit over the top but in todays society I don't doubt that these things happen in the medical field. Every industry has a dark side, law enforcement, government, ect. Like I said this show is a bit over the top and a bit extreme but it shows how dysfunctional certain industries can be. Those of you that are in the medical field I get it, things are not this blatant. I felt the same way when the show "S.W.A.T" aired, I'm in law enforcement and I was truly embarrassed, but that's Hollywood for you.
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show.
toriiicasey24 January 2018
Watch the show before you judge. The show is like any other new series. It is getting its' footing. This show has great potential. Give it time.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent pace. Its got potential
japiespoelstra22 January 2018
I've really enjoyed the Pilot of the Resident. Although there are some stereotypes here you do get a quick lovely pace and storytelling happens fast. If I haven't met people and co-workers that fit these stereotypes I wouldn't have liked it. Easy and casual series.

A good sit back relax and watch show with great potential. If the writers keep this up and let the characters grow I think we will have some great TV to come.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show
hiteshgoyal-9650412 February 2018
I think this show will be a success. It has great storyline and big potential. Lol People are saying its medically inaccurate, they all must be doctors or want to become one. My advice is to go to colllege for that. Its only a show for god sake with good storyline and characters.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVE IT!!!
projadegt23 January 2018
This is definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a long time!
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
S2 E15
ellediva-949-682020 February 2019
We the Nigerians who are fans of this show, collectively heaved a sigh of annoyance at the aforementioned episode in the subject line.

Gombe is not in East Africa and I am glad Mina had the sense to let them know Dr. Okeke is Igbo and not Yoruba and it is spelt Igbo and not Ibo.

We were perturbed at the lack of research done on the Mina character. I hope you guys know she is Igbo too. Well her mama is so she is by default Igbo. Her last name is also phonetically pronounced Or-car-for (the r in Or is a bit silent). Please tell Dr. Bell and Dr. Austin to either learn how to pronounce it or just call her Mina.

Apart from all the ranting. I love the show but wanted to point out that your researchers did a horrible job with thinking Gombe is in East Africa. They were close. It is in the NorthEastern part of Nigeria and they are seen more as Northerns and Easterners. Thank you!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.