SEAL Team (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

(2017– )

Excellent Show
jdrogers128 October 2018
As a former TEAM guy, this show must have many TEAM/spec ops tech advisors on it! Very good on the smallest details. I give latitude realizing it's hollywood. But with that said, I enjoy the show tremendously. The terminology, the tactics and very close brotherhood they portray is incredible! Keep up the good work!!
131 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Military Show Ever
melsmelanosite17 April 2019
I am a former Special Forces detachment CDR, and I am just thrilled to see this show. In fact, I don't even like watching TV because it is so superficial sometimes. But this is a must see for everyone at all ages. The details remind me of so many things, down to the cages that look a bit bigger than ours for storing gear and stuff, and the absolutely normal looking CIA gal which is so true to reality. And so much smarter than everyone else ! Even the fast chats of some of the lines that a few reviewers found too fast to understand, is actually true to life. A lot of military people are fast talkers. They think they sound smart if they can say things real fast. That is the culture. But as true as the writing is and as close as the settings and actions are to reality, the feel of the show is the real gem. As an audience we feel what they feel, especially losing people from our lives who gave up on us. This includes the almost automatic drive to jump up and get to duty that is so common in those who act from dedication to this country and saving lives. One of the reviewers said it is good mindless fun. Its okay to not see further than that. It is just fun for some. Not everyone comes to dinner for the same thing. Not everyone wants to take the oath and do the dance, and run the North Island obstacle course over and over until it works. Not everyone wants to feel what it means to really care about putting away bad people to protect good people. But for those who want to know more, this shows what it is like to be a quiet patriot. It shows love of country and family and brotherhood without forcing watchers to put sand in their mouths and wave American flags. And it really does touch on things going on today in each of those countries. It is not all Hollywood. I did the jumps from the C17s. It is cold up there. But some people do jump a little exposed at times. Not everyone covers everything exposed perfectly on every jump. I thank you for reminding me who I am. What a gift you give to anyone who will just watch ! I think when this show stops its run which I hope is a long time from now, each of you involved will remember this as one of the most important projects of your lives. And each of the actors is so good that none of it looks like acting. I salute you all for an incredible job well done. I don't think any other military show can ever come close to this one.
28 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Persona non grata
brentonh-3151313 January 2018
A term used in the series that could apply to a lot of the previously uneducated reviews found for this title already.

Let's get one thing straight - this show is intended for the military-inclined audience and/or military enthusiasts. I was never a SEAL, but rather a Pararescueman for the USAF who served two tours overseas; many of the "cheesy" interactions and "campy" dialogue alleged by non-military serving reviewers are very realistic. This is how we talk. We crack poor, inappropriate jokes at the worst times because laughter - regardless of the timing - is our only weapon against the crippling anxiety that comes with combat deployments, regardless of who you are. Most of us shield ourselves from our own thoughts, especially when it's quiet, and even our loved ones (including those we served with) through humor. That is how we act and this series portrays that sense of fear amicably from the perspective of a real soldier. We speak quickly, we use jargon, we live and breathe what we do at that level because of the years of dedication to the cause that it takes just to get to that point.

Second, this inane need to downvote the series based on a "female operator" is not only ridiculous - but inaccurate. She is not an operator like the rest of the men, clearly acknowledged in Episode 2 when she tells Clay (the strap) to sit in the back with "her" and the "rest of the support team". She works in a TOC, a 'Tactical Operation Command'; the TOC is our lifeline when we're out in the field. Often times, your commanding officer, a procurement officer (supply), relief team and general support staff (including special JTF attachments like OSI, ATF, JAG, etc.) are on standby and are communicating with other assets in the general vicinity to coordinate the mission as it progresses.

Third, the technical adviser for this show is far more capable of portraying our armed forces in a respectable fashion than the vast majority of other shows on television. I saw a lot of complaints about Episode 1's "boat scene" shootout; clearly you've never fired a weapon on a moving skiff in the dark to understand that you're firing for effect - to suppress. Sure, you hope to land the shot, but a bouncing, lightweight skiff on top of firing at a moving object from another moving object makes even the best shooters in the world miss shots; that's just practical application to a common sense scenario. The show handles some complex issues, and my only complaint thus far has been the HALO/HAHO jump (would have to re-watch to see which it was) without the proper altitude gear - a minor flaw, certainly not enough reason to "stop watching" in disgust. I've also seen a few comments about how "predictable" and "archetyped" the characters are - well, no shit. That's precisely the reason they've made it to such top-tier outfits; no loose cannon or quirky halfwit makes it to teams like these because there's no spot for someone who's unpredictable. I feel like all of the "unrealistic" comments come from those who have nerved served and don't understand the military as a whole besides some bullshit "news" report they see on television masquerading as fact.

To close out, learn to enjoy quality shows for what they are and stop believing you're forced to pick extreme scores to show how outraged you are by a show; if this is honestly so poor that it deserves a '1' and is the worst television show you've ever seen - I'd love to see what television you feel deserves a 7+.Don't be so over-dramatic, and moreover, stop judging what you don't understand.
256 out of 323 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this series
lizwjesus71 November 2018
I spent 26 yrs as a wife of a military man. God bless him. He's been gone almost 4 yrs now. This show brings him back to me on so many levels. Thank you for bring this series to us. Even though I cry a lot watching it, I will not miss a single episode. Every character is someone I have known.
67 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best military show to date
sm142430 November 2018
For the life me, I can't understand how anyone can compare this show to "Six" or "the Brave". Absolutely no comparison. This is the most realistic show about a SF unit that I have seen. Though not without it's technical imperfections, the interaction , dedication, and brotherhood between these men is the most realistic I've seen depicted in a television series. The casual wise cracks, character interaction, and frequent jokes made to diffuse the stress of the mission, deployments and balancing family/personal life, is greatly portrayed. Bravo from a 26-year vet.
26 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Show
timmurphy-27 December 2017
Look...no network TV show is going to be totally accurate. This isn't a documentary. I was a JAG and that TV show wasn't even close to being accurate. But it WAS entertaining. And, like this show, it captures the spirit and fellowship of a tight military team. Whoever these folks are dissing the show I have news for you...women play vital roles in our armed services. The contribution here is fairly accurate from what I understand. This is entertaining, it's patriotic and it honors the men and women in the front lines of the war on terror. I also appreciate that it attempts to highlight the sacrifices of the family members supporting our servicemen and servicewomen. As a veteran and the father of two servicemen, I thank CBS for a pretty solid and interesting show. Thanks for honoring the best America has to offer.
67 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
toby-315-70695124 April 2019
I have no military background so as a civvy I found this series to actually concentrate on the problems the individuals involved to be a bit of a revelation. No glorifying of war but just a straightforward synopsis of what I can only imagine an elite fighting unit would undergo. They're human. Not robots.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is the best...
mozzis6 February 2018
...of the military-themed shows out there this season. Sure, Boreanaz was a bit wooden at the series' beginning, and sure, a lot of it is predictable. But Jace's emotions have really started to come through as story has progressed, and the plots are getting tighter as well. Above and beyond all of this, the characters and their interactions have an authenticity that is better than The Brave or even The Unit, to name a couple at random. (The last paragraph contains a minor spoiler) I want to address some of the complaints from other reviewers. First of all, the dialog. It _is_ brisk, it is salted with acronyms and military slang, and all in all has a ring of authenticity that once again outscores other military dramas that come to mind. If you can't hear it, I suggest you improve your TV sound, or it may be time to invest in a hearing aid. If you don't understand it, google-fu is there to help you out. Politics. You salty dogs who complain about "PC" in this series need to pay more attention. For one thing, PC culture has definitely infiltrated the military, but this show is definitely sending all kinds of signals that are contrary to that. The latest episode, Getaway Day, even made reference to the current administration's changes to the rules of engagement in Afghanistan, and in a subtly favorable way as well. The thing is, the politics in this show are done deftly and in an understated way that in my opinion is more effective than would be the case with too much boo-rah, and it definitely does not have the level of false equivalency and apology for the enemy that you see in, for instance, The Brave. They are much more respectful of the military (well, except for the "cake-eaters"!) than anything else I have seen in a long time, and that certainly includes The Unit with all of its manipulative "conspiracies in high places" and "you can't trust anyone" nonsense. Realism. Yes, this show gets some details wrong: weapons, uniforms, equipment, ranks and ratings, etc. All of this stuff is way less important than the story, the characters, the dialog, and the acting. And this series does very well in all of those areas, and continues to improve. It is really hard to get info on all of the details stuff that every military-knowledgeable person will agree on - at least partly because so many of us are arrogant SOBs who won't admit when we get it wrong ourselves. Listen, uniforms and equipment do change over time, top-tier SOP guys can often carry what weps they want, and everything is subject to the chaotic circumstances of conflict. At least this show is trying to tell stories about a real military unit, not some fantasies about a bunch of near-freelancers living in a bunker somewhere. In addition we should consider that too much realism in details might not be best for the security of the real operators.

I want to finish with a comment (here's the minor spoiler) on one scene from the last episode that really got to me. The team was on its way to a mission and came upon a set of flag-draped caskets in a hangar. No one said anything, but the looks on the faces, the body postures, said more than enough. This scene was eloquently set up, and then sprung with no warning. A series with even slightly worse writing would have had someone lash out with some cliché phrase about how "we're gonna get the bastards that did this", etc. But the approach taken here was so much more effective. When you see coffins like that, it is deeply affecting, and that is exactly how they played it.
50 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best show ever
kahildy4 January 2018
I have never written a review of everything, but I love this show. It has heart, feeling and tells a very compelling story.
42 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really OK for an all action series.
immortel_la14 January 2018
Scripts were well written, actors all really good and acting smart, not the usual kind of mindless chase n pursuit n shooting, but well calculated plan for each action. I just love this series, real smart n pack of full action.
36 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pay Attention to simple details, and you've got hours of fun ahead
sreynolds-0906722 January 2018
Apparently some of the other reviewers didn't even watch the show. None of the women are Seals. One is a Naval Intelligence Officer, and the other is CIA. Though paired down, it's exactly the type of comand direct interdiction that seal teams actually work in. It's surprisingly good if you know anything about the subject. (And I get it, I don't care for the leftist media agenda either, but the ladies in this show aren't an example of media bias.) The plot moves fairly well, and the show is quite good about dealing with very generalized details of planning covert ops. I would described it as mindless, action oriented fun, but they keep it relavent by basing most the plot points on current foreign affairs. During a resent episode they even dealt with the US helping Saudi Arabia, causing more enemies for us in Yeman. But don't let facts get in the way of your hate. I would also venture to guess that the family back stories don't exist just to draw in the female crowd (as another reviewer suggested) but rather to illustrate that these operators are people too, so the audience actually has a vested interest in weather they live or die. If you pay attention to even the slightest details, like who the female characters are, you'll get a lot more out of it.
40 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than many reviews say
andrewjbbr22 November 2018
If you believe the bad reviews that is awful. The show actually is really good. It is worth it just to see Jessica Paré!
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the cast, great show.
kristal-422014 January 2018
I like it. It just works, and for me it did from the word go. No idea if it is all realistic, but I'm not concerned with that either. Í'm not a Seal so if things aren't all realistic it doesn't bother me. I want to watch a good show that's captivating, and as far as I'm concerned it delivers. I like the story lines and the cast. The actors seem to have the right chemistry, it just works. And it is quite refreshing -and surprising- to see David in this lead role, after I'd given up on Bones years ago. I like to see him playing a masculine character as opposed to a masculine woman's doormat. And he pulls it off really well. The man sure as heck has risen on my hunk-O'meter! Character Clay Spenser manages to throw a little spanner in the works here and there, which gives it all a little extra. And don't know why, but I am really fond of actress Jessica Paré's character. Apart from these three, I like all the actors and characters. Doesn't happen very often, usually there's one I dislike. So I feel the casting's done really well. I'm definitely a fan of the show, and I really hope it doesn't get canceled like so many good shows. I love it :)
41 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Like The Rest
JasonJPiccolo19 February 2018
I've seen a few reviews of SEAL Team. It is NOT like the Brave or SIX. The Brave is more like a Rainbow Six book, covert multi-service team that takes on the tier 1+ cases/ops; fiction to the max. SIX is just, eh.

Now, SEAL Team, I dig this show. I'm by no means an operator but did spend time around them, and a bunch of time in the service. They get a lot right in this show and must have a great crew of Subject Matter Experts (SME's) attached to the show. A big plus is not every show is a shoot out!

David Boreanaz stands out; especially his matter of fact, no sh*t stance leadership style. He's getting it right in this role, a bit better than the "sniper" FBI agent from Bones.

Check this show out. Don't just watch one show, give it a few.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Hollywood PC Magic
mordair8 October 2017
As a veteran I have worked around special operators, while I am not one of them. These are hard driven very serious and very closed people. The opening scene of episode one, these guys couldn't hit their targets, there was no sniper and not knowing one of their own was hit is just unacceptable. While I don't have an issue with the women (CIA handler and what appears to be the logistic/intel person, which in the military is never one person, the technical errors I do have a problem with. The Halo jump from 2 miles higher than mount Everest was done in stand battle fatigues. At over 40,000 feet you could freeze to death while in free fall. And that is just the first two episodes. While I kind of like the show it is more like Scorpion, just kind of silly.
76 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One dimensional characters
pgooden28 September 2017
Nothing new here - in fact plain old stuff as in Six, and the new show the Brave Obligatory characters- the untrained newbie , the female support person, the dog , the separated family man and the dedicated family man. I thin David B is wooden and delivers his lines without conviction
70 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Good Show overall
sjmcoarch23 October 2017
The arrangement of action scenes are very well. Also I like the way they actually made them from point of view if the team themselves. Actors did really good job in recent episodes. The show is also very good for those who actually want to know how is it to be an SOG in real life and their problems.

There are some rough edges like low dialogue voices, or sometimes unrelated sequences of training camp and trainees. I think if the writers could make better relation to main story, it could be bang on!!!

Final word... I like this show very much, a little more work on small details will make it absolutely perfect.

PS. Acting skills of David Boreanaz is wonderful! Two thumbs UP!!!!
36 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally, a show that accepts reality, and still makes you feel good
mshavzin10 October 2017
Itsd gritty, and it has a tight plot. I watched it with several people who work in the military and they were all impressed by how accurate and how realistic the show was. The cast is amazing, and the plot is very grown up. It is such a departure from the typical cheesy action shows you see today. No stupid gadgets, no morality lessons about how we should dislike our own country. None of that. Oh, and the guys are HAWT! David Boreanz is gorgeous as ever. I would almost love to read the triggered reviews here, but it would be too boring. Oh, and one more awesome thing; There is a character named Stella, the stereotypical hypocritical feminist Millennial, and I love that they dropped her in. Kind of a wink wink at those in the know. Everyone I know has grown to like this, even those people who started out in different.
35 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainment!
npvarley1 November 2018
Ok, first up, there are a lot of people dissing this show for accuracy reasons who, I will bet, have never served a day in their entire lives. I wasn't a SEAL, or even Navy, but I did serve in Armor back in the 80s, before later becoming a cop (lieutenant, detective) in civilian life.

The camaraderie and dialogue is pretty accurate, actually. These guys are your brothers. Family. Units become incredibly close-knit and you would die to save them, simple as that. Yes, we cracked stupid jokes, that's a coping mechanism.

Sure, it's not 100% accurate, It can't be. It's TV. Entertainment. But it doers a damn good job of portraying the life.

And as for the dumb comments about it being government propaganda, politically correct, whatever, you guys are talking nonsense. In fact, I don;t understand why you're watching it if that's what you think. Go and watch Dancing With The Stars or something.

This is a very entertaining show.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2 and still hooked
FLYINGGADGET20144 October 2017
(Spoiler) Just to be safe.

In my opinion nice tone and great acting. I was very worried about seeing David B in something so fast, so soon. However this suits him as an actor, I don't see him as Agent Boothe (Bones)anymore. I believe there is mystery to his character yet to be discovered. I think I found a new TV show I Enjoy but not binge worthy yet, Like NCIS. There is shacking on the camera. I think it gives you a perspective like watching it on their helmets, like how they show the Seal's on NCIS. When taking down a high level target. I'm in Season 2 and It honestly gets better and better....
27 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
shaky camera work
mogie-9987827 September 2017
Had a difficult time following the story line with the shaky camera work. Actually got so bad it made me dizzy. Do the producers think that a shaky camera conveys action or movement? Perhaps more action then is really on camera? Why do they feel the need to do this? Makes watching very frustrating.
64 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like The Brave
stankactorman30 September 2017
THE BRAVE (NBC), SEAL TEAM (CBS): I group these together because it's the same show - different casts but the same predictable plot lines, same characters - each with some kind of specialty, same trite dialogue ('You can run, but you can't hide.' They actually paid someone to write that?), same mediocre acting, same over-edited action sequences, and same female commander just like every other procedural show on TV with the possible exception of NCIS. (Before you get all bent out of shape over this, I get it. I understand the necessity for equality, but com' on! Really? I think we've reached the saturation point.) Their job is to stand in front of a slew of monitors, supposedly watching events in real time so they can spot problems and advise their teams on counter measures, all the while emoting expressions of concern during and relief after the operation is completed so they can deliver the 'Well done team. Return to base.' line, while the other members of the team in the situation room clap and congratulate each other on another successful mission. The pity is, there are some good people wasted in these: Anne Heche and Mike Vogel in The Brave, and David Boreanaz stars in Seal Team. The deserve better material than this and so do we. Neither is worth your time. Score: The Brave: 6, Seal Team: 5. I'd be very surprised it either lasts a full season.
48 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Potential.. Lost...
glockknuckle29 September 2017
This could be so good, but it is bad...

The plot is poor, as well as the realism. The characters are not believable at all. The female CIA character is probably the worst, horrible casting. Probably a good actor, but not believable at all as a senior CIA case officer.

To add to this: - The main character has a micro helmet. - Extremely poor cheek weld all over. - Tier 1 operators missing their targets at 20 yards in the laughable boat chase, while the terrorists are delivering suppressive fire at a bag 1 yard from the boat. - Only an idiot would be that aggressive in critiquing the operator who shot the terrorist with a suicide vest.

SIX had at least better realism, the actors had put in the work, but it suffered from a very shallow plot, and poor dialogue.

This show fails in both regards...
51 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Social Justice Warriors
imdb-422489 March 2018
Could be good, but constantly pushing the leftist Hollywood agenda. The Jessica Pare character is fine, good even - but it seems like they couldn't resist making almost *every* scene into a "teachable moment" (oh wait, we don't say that anymore, as we're informed in the show). The strong female character *has* to talk gender with the other female character. The token black guy with pregnant wife *has* to make a point about being black. None of them can just do their jobs! The team leader unprofessionally defies orders in episode two, putting his team, as well as a unit of army rangers, at risk - but it's great, because he did it for the *feelz*. The show actually use the word "heteronormative" non-ironically.

Technical stuff is nothing to write home about either. VX gas is so incredibly lethal IRL that the second episode seems absurd.
62 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Bad!
WarRelic230 January 2018
All things considered...this show is so full of crap. Technically, it is a load of sheep dip. So many problems with military side of the show it is difficult to name them all. For one, No one would HALO jump with exposed skin, But, there he is, hardcore hero, jumping in temps of -40 degrees with sleeves rolled up. Acting is okay, but if you are looking for something that is close to reality, look elsewhere. Just another show for the Axe generation.
43 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.