Landing Lake (2017) Poster

(2017)

Lost in the woods
BandSAboutMovies19 July 2019
Shot in Super35mm in Trentino, Northern Italy, and the UK, director Cesare Pollacci Libardi di K's aspires to be "cocktail of The Thing and Rabid," according to the film's PR materials. Well, you can't fault the hyperbole, as those are big goals to shoot for. The truth is, there's a lot of wandering the woods and people yelling one another's names.

Satellite technicians enter the woods to repair a communication station, but then they encounter the crew of a crashed airplane. However, something inside the lake is taking over everyone's minds, loosening their inhibitions. However, one of their number is about to bond with the entities and be reborn in a new body.

There's a fair amount of body horror on display, with one character melting into a giant pile of guts and blood. But there's also more than a fair amount sheer nonsense. And not in a good way. In a way that makes this film seem like it's ten times longer than its actual running time.

There is a pretty cool synth soundtrack, though. So it has that going for it. I've just seen too many movies lately where people are lost in the woods and screaming one another's names for twenty minutes in a row, maybe.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Landing Lake": Swimming in Swill
jtncsmistad26 June 2019
"Landing Lake" is sunk by underwhelming acting acumen and proceedings so incomprehensible it is impossible to determine what these filmmakers intended. Except evidently to make their audience both baffled and bored.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "Landing Lake"
ASouthernHorrorFan30 July 2019
The story, in theory, is a fun, and chilling way to approach first contact tropes in sci-fi horror. I have seen it done well in movies like "Yellow Brick Road" and "Star Lead". Unfortunately "Landing Lake" never coalesces fully enough to marry the dreamscape psychedelia and core sci-fi aspects. It all plays out like a wilderness mushroom high but weren't all tripping the same.

The fault doesn't fully fall with script or direction. Not that there isn't some issues in both, it just seemed that too many concepts came into play without proper structuring. The acting is decent, some characters really came out strong. A couple were just so---ugh! They just made it impossible to fully succumb to the movie's experimental theatre vibe enough to wanna like this madness.

Now on a positive note, the cinematography is great. And on its own, the whole surrealism, arthouse style was- at times impressive. Sadly the foundation of the story and continuity just didn't come together to allow the audience to make sense of the going-ons. Another cool aspect is the creative, throwback score.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promises Unfulfilled
HughBennie-77712 July 2019
It's not a zombie film, so the movie earns a point there. The practical effects on 35 mm film, plus atmospheric locales and a genuine synthesizer score, raise this to above average, but the grade is paralyzed by the always-fatal imbalance of quality acting versus wretched acting. The bonkers plot, which does has the nerve to play out with little concern for coherence or audience-pleasing, still could have benefited from a 100% strong cast. Yet it's not often you encounter good acting in most horror-thrillers nowadays. At least there's ample gore and squishy killings to delight all the Fangoria geeks.
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved This Movie !!!!!
christianlovella16 August 2019
Ok so I am a fan of 80s horror movies, I fully appreciated the effects in this film the story was intriguing Id like to see a part 2, maybe the characters can come back different and start a colony on earth !!! Camera work was beautiful. Mystical and wonderful, action packed 80s thriller!

Not too mention some really good acting in there, in particular I rated the character of Matt played by Aaron Stielstra I thought that accountant guy was played nicely, Some very natural characterisation happening this guy knows what he is doing. Id like to see more of him if theres a part 2.

Alexandra played By Joanna Leigh Hewitt, beautiful actress. her inner life reads extremely well on camera I think she's a natural and one too watch! Im exited to see more from her, definatley and Actress to follow. she looks like a young Margot Robbie.

Thats all from me folks !!
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
marika-gnolidze11 August 2019
Kept my attention the whole way through. Rare for me...love it

Everyone should see this film...if you see no other film this year.
0 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.