The Head Hunter (2018) Poster

What's it all about?
Leofwine_draca20 October 2020
THE HEAD HUNTER is a strange little fantasy horror indie, American-made but shot in Portugal on a tiny budget. It looks fairly good given the constraints it was made under, but it literally consists of a Viking-looking berserker guy living in an old shack and filling it with the heads of various monsters and villains he goes out and kills regularly. So if you're looking for plot complexity or depth then you've come to the wrong place. The film's running time is understandably brief, clocking in at a little over an hour, and come the predictable ending I did wonder what the point of it all was; it's gruesome, sure, but also devoid of suspense and generating very little interest in the viewer.
Vengeance is Upon Us.
nogodnomasters10 May 2019
Jorge (Christopher Rygh) is a Middle Earth hunter of beasts, living in a cold almost barren land. He takes his daughter (Cora Kaufman) with him on hunts and has her stay in a hut of twigs. He seeks vengeance for her death of the beast that killed her...at least I think she didn't die of frostbite. Jorge hangs up the heads like trophies. He makes a substance that has remarkable regenerative properties that cures his wounds.

He has jars of substance which he has a loose lock and chain around them, although they are not really secured. We don't get to see any real fighting due to the budget. This is the type of thing that needed a graphic novel approach. There is a twist at the end that has been done and you can see coming once you see the trophy wall.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Viking Vengeance
kosmasp31 January 2021
That is the German title of the movie (not sure if it was used in other countries too). It may be or at least feel a bit missleading. But then again everybody and their mother is trying to cash in on the Viking craze .. even a sequel of sorts to the tv show is being produced as I read the other day.

All that aside, this stands on its own two feet and has its head on its shoulders! See what I did there? Nope? But you can guess? Still no? That is because you haven't seen the movie. Now I understand that some may take issues with this low budget movie. Especially because of its pacing! It is slow, there is no denying that. And it does not have really that much story to tell. But it sets a mood and walks very confidently in it! Technically very well made - and the special effects of it ... amazing! Just for that my love for low budget movies that actually give you (the viewer) something more than just another movie, jumped right in. This is not for everyone as stated, but there is a reason this was nominated and won things ... nice twists and all that included
Kind of pointless
siderite9 June 2019
No, this is not a cheery movie about an optimistic employee of an HR department. It's quite literally a hunter of heads, even more towards the end. And I have to say that the movie started very well, with a Nordic bleak and oppressive feel, a Witcher like character, a simple backstory and an oath of revenge, a purpose. It could have gone several ways, but none more disappointing than the actual ending. This is a film that sets up something grand, then settles for a pun and a weak punchline. I've heard so many good things about it that I had some high expectations, but I have to say that it felt like a very low budget Game of Thrones film: starts interesting, builds up momentum, ends suddenly and pointlessly. OK, my expectations that were subverted, but they were that this was a movie worth watching.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly Researched
westsideschl8 June 2019
Had potential, but ... Little to no background to tell the viewer about what's going on in this mismatched mix of timeline periods. If you look at the girl's mascara & lipstick she's 20th century; if you look at the range of props you get 19th & 18th centuries. You are given little to no information about the surroundings; the beasts; the purposes; and even any scenes of the events themselves. What you're given is a gloomy, heads-on-stakes prop filled cottage for almost the whole movie. Located somewhere. Three puzzling incongruities: First, what happened to the horse. Second, our hunter walks through a vastly different range of environments & way too quickly. Third, the unrealistically quick final head mover crawling on the ground.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not so much viking even though the beard
ops-525355 April 2019
I saw this on the SOFA-festival at åkra, and expected a bit more than delivered in this movie. its a big bearded man with big hunches on his shoulders, that reacts like a manchurian candidate everytime the horn is blown from the nearby castle. he is kind of preprogrammed to fight down ''the head'',that has once upon atime killed his beloved daughter. if he gets his revenge, well youll have to see for yourself.

its a primitive,almost neolittic kind of settings-movie, with a bonfire inside a stone house, thus having the ability of using heavy metals, there are and overtone of adrenaline kick as to kill or to be killed,through the whole movie. its cold and winterly,wet and dirty everywhere, and lots of woods. the props,and some of the effects are quite good, but youll have to let yourself into the character to enjoy the watch.

the acting are with very few words, and until he open his first phrase you would expect something ''norrøna''-styled of language to come, buuut, its just english. the main male, does a fine job on the physical level, and had scared the guts out of me if standing on my door step.

the grumpy old man has ambivalent feelings for this kinda flicks, so if you like vikings,swords and boobie-traps, then its for you. i give it a 6.
25 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atmospheric monster-slaying tale ...
parry_na9 October 2021
This is steeped in cold, old world, Gaelic atmosphere. What the budget may lack in monsters, it makes up for in detail. On fact, the lack of finance is used to give the film uniqueness - a lot of potentially expensive moments simply happen off-camera. This approach might annoy some, but I like it very much. The focus is very much on 'Father', played by Christopher Rygh and his relentless head hunting, with a series of impressive beast-heads mounted on a wall. This isn't to say we don't see any creatures at all, but those we do see are filmed in icky close-up, or fleetingly - and for me, this works very well.

The atmosphere is the most important thing, and this film has it in spades. You can allow yourself to live in this world for the duration. There's a brave and unexpected ending too. My score is 8 out of 10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I strongly recommend seeing this and hope there's a sequel.
kevin_robbins13 May 2021
The Head Hunter (2018) is a movie I recently rented off Vudu for $3.99 after receiving the recommendation from Uros Nikolic. The storyline takes place during medieval times when a man loses his daughter to a monster so he begins hunting monsters and collecting their heads until he finds the one that took his daughter. This movie is directed by Jordan Downey (ThanksKilling) and stars Christopher Rygh (The Last Kingdom). This movie is a little slow at first as it establishes the hardships and challenges of the main character's life and of the times but picks up quickly during the final hunt in terms of its intensity, gruesomeness and intrigue. It's definitely a movie as it ends leaves you feeling like you could watch an hour more of the storyline. The main character is compelling as are the settings, backdrops and premise. This is a very good movie that reminded me a little of Valhalla Rising mixed with Beastmaster. I strongly recommend seeing this and hope there's a sequel. I would score this underrated gem a 7.5-8/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The rate must be fake! Not a single action scene! Bored to freaking death! Avoid at all freaking cost!
kwenchow10 July 2019
This movie is about a man hunting down the monster's head because his daughter dead! Typical revenge horror film! But poorly executed! Entire film showing audience the main actor making some potion, waiting outside his house, waiting the alarm to sound, apply the potion on his skin after injured! Not a single killing monster scene show to us! Most intense scene is the monster accidentally revive by his potion kill by him when the monster use it's skeleton to strangle him! Big spoiler ahead! The monster haven't die and cut down the main actor head to have his body! That's all! Completely wasting time to watch!
2 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Disapointing
valleyjohn31 March 2021
This is the official IMDB synopsis for The Head Hunter .

A medieval warrior's gruesome collection of heads is missing only one - the monster that killed his daughter years ago.

The reason I posted that was that I had to find that out after I'd watched the film because during it , I didn't have a clue !

This is 72 minute fantasy film that in all honestly should be a twenty minute short . It's very artfully filmed . In fact the majority of the movie are framed scenes set in beautiful locations . It felt like a postcard of Scandinavia at times and while all that's going on we have this grunting man chopping off heads .

It's never clear why he's head hunting and that's because there is little or dialogue, so we have to guess .

They kept showing clips of a girl in a tent and couldn't see if it was his wife of his daughter and I couldn't tell if it was a memory or it was current.

It's was a bit of a mess to be honest.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bit Underwhelming
Foutainoflife11 May 2019
A medieval father searches for the beast that killed his daughter.

Ok. So, this is a low budget film but it is filmed well. Some of the landscape scenes are very nice. This is supposed to be horror but I'm a bit of a horror buff and it wasn't horror for me. The biggest problem I have is that the story is so vague. You know what is going on and you sorta know why but it lacks detail. You have no backstory and for me, that is what draws me in and causes me to invest in the characters. The effects were passable but key moments were shot in low lighting and it couldn't be seen well.

It isn't awful but it is short, extremely about being "in the moment" and the scenic shots were good. If that sounds like something you are about, check it out.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could've been a cool short
kuarinofu20 October 2019
There's a lot of stuff to nitpick in this one but I don't really want to. My only real compaint is that it is overly long. They didn't have the script to make it to at least 90 minutes so instead of making it a cool little short they just stretched it with lots of not particularly engaging scenes.

Some dialogue still wouldn't hurt, maybe some flashbacks, nightmares. I understand that we're shown the Head hunter's routine, but you still have to give the viewer something to work with. The protagonist also doesn't have to be an emotionless brick wall.

Getting sidetracked, anyway, nice location, sets, costumes, good casting and music. The cinematography wasn't that great though since there are lots of uninteresting flat angles and drone footage mostly look like 4k demo for TV showcase in a store. You really should've color corrected this better or just leave it alone.

I gave this a much higher score than I think I should've mostly because this was made on bare enthusiasm and I think it's a good thing to support a good endeavour.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Atmospheric Brilliance that Suffers On the Other Aspects of Film Making!
SoumikBanerjee2517 August 2020
"The Head Hunter" is compelling with its technicalities; an impressive Atmospheric brilliance that surely grabs your attention with every passing frame. But the same cannot be said for other aspects.

It's one of those rare occasions when a Movie impresses on the technicalities part but disappoints on the rest. Having seen many indie films before; I generally look forward to these atmosphere centric projects. That's why I decided to give it a go.

Well I'm not disappointed on the vibe front! Set in the medieval age; its unsettling imagery, claustrophobic yet beautiful scenic shots did give pleasure to my eyes. Impressive sound design does help setting up the an overall dark tonality! With its eerie, haunting treatment of the sound score does put up a lot of emphasis on the same.

Can't talk much about the performances as there is literally two person in the movie and the rest are non human beings! The main lead 'Christopher Rygh' does a commendable job portraying as a Monster Hunter. But the written material on him is as low as it could get! Lack of character study does take its toll as the film slowly progresses towards it end.

I simply couldn't establish any sort of empathy for him. Same goes for the monsters! I can't feel this guys' angst even when he's ripping their heads apart. That signifies how less of an attention has been gone into writing those characters and the storyline here. The plot raises more questions than answers! That's probably the sole reason for its downfall.

Still as an Indie movie admirer, I adore what they have done in their own set boundaries. With a little more backing up from the producers, this could have been something else.
An amazing film!
jp_918 January 2021
"The Head Hunter" is a modern classic, a horror-fantasy tale starred by one actor playing an excellent character. The direction is amazing, the music is good and the cinematography and filming locations are totally beautiful, a perfect job. There is some cool gore scenes. The script is simple but effective. An arthouse horror film, a masterpiece!
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow!!!People nowadays trying to create a gem out of pile of crap)))
tchitouniaram30 January 2020
Wow!!!People nowadays trying to create a gem out of pile of crap))) I'm very tolerant to low budget films and some of them are really amazing. But if it smells like crap,looks like crap and feels like crap,even the amazing scenery or good camera work,can't make a decent film out of it...Absolutely boring,stupid movie,which feels like a student project...3 stars for some nice landscapes...Don't listen to pretentious "critics" and just avoid...Sorry...
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not for me
bgar-8093213 February 2020
I didn't get much out of this movie. It just wasn't for me but it did have good visuals for a low budget movie
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been amazing. Falls short in storytelling.
frankblack-7996114 August 2020
I was really enjoying this one. I don't need a huge plot to enjoy something. It was good and then the story took a huge nose dive. Plot was driven by some things that didn't seem to follow any continuity of what was already shown. Then the ending was like huh? That's hugely disappointing and again doesn't seem to be a very likely outcome to this badass warrior we've seen kick the crap out of these monsters, but ok then. Wasted opportunity with this one and subpar storytelling where it counts. 30k budget doesn't mean you can't write a plot that makes sense.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heads Will Roll! This is Stunning to see!
WalkdenEntertainment26 February 2020
Set in medieval times, a lone warrior (Christopher Rygh) seeks revenge on a creature who claimed the life of his young daughter many years ago. The plot is simple- a warrior hunts different monsters down, comes home and pins the head of the dead monster on his wall. The warrior will also take time out when he's required to recover from his wounds before hunting again. But it's obvious that while the warrior is killing many monsters, he is ultimately seeking one creature for the complete revenge that will give the warrior peace and satisfaction. Should another violent creature cross his path while on his main mission, then the warrior will handle them too. To my surprise this film only has a couple of actors in it- the warrior and the warrior's daughter which is only seen through flashbacks or visions. For a solo actor to carry the film is very risky. Not only that, it's an actor who has never been in film before. For the most part, I'm pleased with the results and ultimately surprised. Many viewers may find the film's plot slightly slow at some points, in particular when the warrior is repeating some of his tasks. But what makes it exciting is the different locations the warrior investigates and the stunning visuals that are used in the film, which brings me to my most positive point about The Head Hunter The visuals here amaze me. It's a stunning film to look at and incredibly well shot. It's obvious considering the film's budget that the style of filming and the quality was important to the director and fellow crew members. While the third act is shot in rather dark locations, I still found the image quality and creativeness the best element of the film. I also loved the costume work, especially the leading warrior's costume. He just looks awesome and it's rather convincing when he's suited up in armour ready to kill. As an audience, I believed this unknown man is an experienced killer and it's obvious he has no problems getting his hands dirty (or bloody) if it means revenge is served against creatures within the land. This film also has a quick runtime of 1 hour and 12 mins. This was a wise choice given how basic the plot truly is. Overall, this is a film that left me feeling pleasantly surprised. It's a film that delivers a high quality of visuals and a creative style of filming. Sure, it's a story that is basic, but it still feels fresh as it reintroduces horror and fantasy which I feel have been lacking from our big screens of late. The disappointment factor did occur for me with some of the elements within the story, which can feel slow at times or slightly repetitive. But! Based on the film's budget and the fact it was filmed within approx. 30 days it is quite an achievement to witness and the team behind this movie should be very proud of the end results. 6.0/10 - Walkden Entertainment
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange oddity that is worth a watch
drunken_munki18 October 2020
Loved the creepy atmosphere, and there is something to be said about this format of film that pops up once in a while. The movie is essentially one guy playing as a monster hunter; the plot follows him around as he seeks vengeance on a horrid beastie.

What I liked was the attention to detail and the twist in the second act that gave a second wind to the story. The end is a gut punch but from the outset the movie seems quite bleak, perhaps that was their point.

6/10, a good watch that needed another character in my view to bolster the script.
Body, mine
TuesdayThe17th9 May 2019
This is an interesting piece of indie horror. "The Head Hunter" tells the story of a lone viking living on the outskirts of an unknown kingdom who ever so productively awaits the moment to avenge his daughter death. The viking acts as the kingdom's protector and guard, as the kingdom sounds a loud horn at the sight of any threat, alerting the viking of the situation. He then gets geared up and "heads" out to take care of business. The Viking beheads monster after monster, hoping and fearing at the same time he will come face to face with his arch nemesis before long: the beast that took his daughter's life. Everything in the film is done practically, and the film does feature some impressive monster heads, but everything is just so hokie feeling at the same time. The hokieness was obviously intended, as the puppetry is very similar to that used is the directors last two films, "thankskilling 1 and 3", but at times its a little much and it takes away from the intensity of the moment, not to mention the somewhat corny atmosphere it creates. The budget only being $30k im shocked at how much is put into this film. I would think the practically made heads and the location used alone would've costed much more than 30k, so in that sense its great to see a young director utilizing every budgeted dollar to reach their films full potential. The last 20 minutes of the film are very dark. Almost too dark. Something about this movie feels truly evil, truly awful and vile. Like something straight out of a nightmare. I rated this film a 7. Minus one star for hokiness, and 2 stars for poor character development when you only have one fharacter to begin with. If it's about making us feel for him when he dies, at least give us something to feel bad for. The interaction he has with his daughter's grave doesnt feel very genuine. Anywhhoo, this indie fantasy horror is worth the watch but requires some open mindedness and commitment. Once you accept the hokie dokie, you'll find a really good movie hidden underneath. A film this ambitiously sound doesn't deserve the harsh judging, as the opening scenes alone seem like a feat for any low budget filmmaker. A new standard for low budget horror films.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very solid film for its genre
boydpeters7 July 2019
Gripping, gritty, entertaining, engrossing, captivating.

When I spent $25 today being insulted by Annabel comes home, it was a pleasure to watch something like this.

Well done to all involved in the production
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you kidding me! 30K never looked better. A small budget storyline but a million dollar plot twist.
tkaine310 December 2019
The thing about great movies isn't just about one aspect it has to combine the elements well enough that each of them seperately can hold their own respectively. The storyline, The acting, The look, The pacing and directing. You want everything to mesh well and not stick out like a sore thumb for lack of a better word and be the one element that holds a project down when it could of lifted off. Now for all intents and purposes that element and aspect for this film "The Head Hunter" should and in 99% of all cases would be the shoe string budget of around 30K. Now whether that's in Euros or my slightly watered down American green backs it still isn't getting you too far when it comes to producing a film worthy enough for todays everyone in the world now is a super duper TV watching who cares about Siskel and Ebert they know nothing critics who I myself am apart of world where indie films don't get watched if they are too subpar. But beyond the fact that early on you may have wanted to see more action and figured the budget couldn't cut it but then later realized it was sort of tucked away perfectly to make later scenes that much more dramatic, It just really shows the effort and ingenious put behind such a beautifully shot feature with elegant dreary and dark scenes that blended so well with the over all feel of this feature I am like another reviewer stated, literally blown away. Definitely the best small budget under 100K flick I've ever seen. And I've seen quite a bit, most of'em I couldn't make it all the way through but atleast I've attempted quite a bit.. KUDOS to those involved for this one the awards are well deserved.. I'll be looking for future endeavors.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. Low budget and STILL exceptional. Who'd a thunk it?
S_Soma10 April 2019
I'll make the important point before I lose you to my own verbosity.

If you like stories of fantasy, mythic monsters, magic and thud-and-blunder barbarianism, then this is a must-see movie for you. While this genre is generally not a personal favorite of mine, I have to say this is still my favorite movie so far this year. It's not without the occasional low-budget blemish and I would have preferred a more upbeat ending as a matter of personal preference, but all things considered, THE HEAD HUNTER is simply superb. The title and poster artwork had me prepared for a real junker and I only watched it because I couldn't find anything else that looked more appealing. How nice to be pleasantly surprised for once.

It is unclear where or when the story unfolds, but it is a time and place where monsters abound and dominion of the land by humankind is not yet determined. Our unnamed hero, a large, hairy brute, lives in his one room hovel in the forest on the edge of what little society exists. For company he has only his daughter and his horse, and is otherwise shunned.

His occupation is simple and horrific. From time to time he hears a clarion call roll across the forest, and he puts on his armor and sets forth. As coming into direct contact with our hero is beneath those for whom he risks life and limb, he receives his assignments as a scroll wound round an arrow shot into a particular tree from a safe distance by his employers. The scroll describes the problem monster at hand which he is then tasked to destroy. There are many past arrows around this tree.

But his battles come at terrible costs. As he returns from each clash carrying the heads of his vanquished foes, we see that he is always clawed and ripped to pieces, often only barely able to return home under his own power. To help him absorb these wounds, he produces his own putrescent concoction, a black and slimy mixture that he pushes into his wounds before passing out from the pain. When he comes to, he is healed enough to continue.

Staggering physical wounds, unfortunately, are not the only price our hero pays for his gruesome occupation. One of the monsters manages to kill his daughter, and later, another his horse.

And so our hero slogs from day to day, answering the clarion call now on foot and with no one awaiting him at home, waiting for the monster that killed his daughter to pass his way again that he might have his revenge.

At length and at last, the hated and waited-for creature returns, and our hero has his day. Winning this battle, he returns home to add this new head to his collection. Ah, but only were things so easy.

There is an accident, and the hero's container of healing salve is spilt upon the head of this latest monster while our hero is momentarily away, and when our hero returns inside, the head is gone.

Apparently, the salve is a bit more powerful than even our hero knew. Dripping the few remaining drops upon a dead spider as an experiment, our hero sees the spider stir with life anew and realizes what has happened. Uttering the king of curses, our hero slams his fist down upon the moving spider and prepares to put an end to his daughter's killer yet again. But what he doesn't see in his haste is that the smashed spider gets up yet again. Our hero is going to have more trouble than he knows, and this resurrected monster will visit horrors upon him that he cannot yet imagine.

Though I realize many will cringe at the comparison, THE HEAD HUNTER is stylistically not entirely unlike THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA with Spencer Tracy. There are only 3 people in the entire movie: the hero, the daughter, and a knight that we only see for a few seconds in the distance. The only dialogue is a handful of words spoken by the hero either to himself or to his daughter already in her grave. The entire movie is accomplished as a collection of wordless actions. Everything the movie has to say is said by what happens. This is done extremely well and THE HEAD HUNTER is so full of grit and ambience that it collects in a puddle on the floor beneath your screen.

One aspect of the movie that I found especially enjoyable was how artfully it concealed its low-budget realities. In most circumstances you have to watch very closely to see any low-budget tells. Occasionally, for example, the hero bumps against one of the collected heads of the monsters and it wiggles just enough that we see it's a rubber cast.

To save money, the only battle we actually see is where the hero is struggling with the resurrected monster. In all other cases the battles with the monsters happen offscreen, a money-saving device. The hero suits up and heads out to do battle and the next thing we see is the aftermath and our hero badly torn up as a result of the battle. But all of this is done so well and with so much atmosphere that we don't feel cheated as viewers. We may not get to see everything but everything we DO get to see is extremely well done.

As I have often mentioned before in other reviews, I rate movies on a relativistic scale: how does a movie rate against other, similar movies within its genre and how does it compare against the movie it was obviously trying to be. I gave THE HEAD HUNTER a 9/10 only because of its few execution mistakes. If not for those, I would have given it a 10 out of 10. The only thing I actively didn't like about the movie was the ending. It was completely legitimate and not at all a cop out and was completely in keeping with the rest of the movie. I would just have liked something a bit more upbeat.

See what you think.
33 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An incomplete attempt.
yogeshevolution18 April 2019
The movie is abrupt with very short running time. The makers should have made it lengthy to establish a base for the movie. But taking the fact it is a low budget movie it is quite impressive and entertaining. A good watch.
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low Budget isn't always a bad sign
polednick5 August 2021
The plot of this movie is minimal, a warrior seeks revenge on the monster that once killed his daughter. Therefor he lives in the wild and once in a while goes on a hunt. His hut has a wall full of the heads of the monsters he killed.

Now, this one tries very hard to be emotional deep. But at no point could I find sympathy for the character.

It even fails to show us the wonders of the nordiclandscapes.

For me this was 72 minutes of boredom....maybe if they would cut it down to 5 minutes.....