Sing 2 (2021) Poster

(2021)

Broke My Movie Slump
view_and_review25 December 2021
The last three movies I saw in theater were real dogs. I won't say what they were, but the last one rhymes with "fake tricks." I was in a movie slump, which made me a little apprehensive about "Sing 2." Turns out there was no need to be apprehensive at all, this movie was amazing.

"Sing 2" had all the old gang minus the mouse. The movie began with a Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) production with a big time talent scout from Redshore City in the audience. Redshore City is like a suped up Las Vegas. Moon's updated musical version of "Alice in Wonderland" wasn't enough to impress the scout, but Moon would not be denied. In his classic hustling fashion he got his theater troupe on the Redshore City stage to secure a full musical, but with one big condition: he'd need Clay Calloway (Bono) in his production. With a new act, a new member, a missing link, and his life on the line, Moon would need a miracle to make it all happen.

I don't know why, but I liked "Sing 2" even more than "Sing." The musical numbers, again, were fantastic and the plot was wonderful. All of the characters are easy to like and the music works with the flow of the movie as well as the feel of the movie. Even though the plot is very similar to part one, enough elements were different to make it fresh and thoroughly enjoyable.
122 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful
Gordon-1126 January 2022
"Sing 2" is truly delightful to watch! The characters are cute, the colour palette is vibrant, and the songs are good. It will bring a smile to everyone's faces!
45 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a very well done movie that is a perfect follow-up to the first movie with a well thought-out plot and good use of characters
kevin_robbins14 January 2022
Sing 2 (2021) is a movie my wife and I recently watched in theatres. The storyline follows the gang from the first film performing together in the same theatre and not making it big time as they hoped. They decide to pack up and head to Vegas for an audition for a show on the strip. They win the audition but in doing so promised a star for the show who has long since retired. As the gang gets ready for their big act they will need to try and convince a star who has been out of the industry for 15 years to return to performing.

This movie is directed by Garth Jennings (Sing) and contains the voices of Matthew McConaughey (Mud), Reese Witherspoon (Legally Blond), Scarlett Johansson (Avengers), Tara Strong (Power Puff Girls), Jason Schwartzman (Moonrise Kingdom) and Nick Kroll (Sausage Party).

The movie starts with a bang with a fantastic rendition of Alice and Wonderland and is brilliant from there. The audition sequence in this is hilarious. The ending show is very well done and fun to watch unfold. They did a great job of not tipping off the final performance to the audience. The song selection is awesome and the portrayal of the characters is excellent. The animation is some of the best I've ever seen. The storyline unfolds well but predictably and the villain is perfectly intense.

Overall this is a very well done movie that is a perfect follow-up to the first movie with a well thought-out plot and good use of characters. I would score this an 8.5/10 and strongly recommend it.
37 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dream big dreams
legobuilderpro8 January 2022
First, I thought Sing (2016) was funny and entertaining. It had great voice acting, great characters, good songs, great musical numbers, and pretty animation.

So, I wasn't expecting much in the sequel. But, after watching I found it was just as good as the first movie.

Sing 2 (2021) was really entertaining. The characters are voiced well by the same great voice cast and I thought they were also funny.

There were scenes I didn't expect, and they were funny especially when there are serious moments, then they are surprising.

The songs are good, and the voice actors can sing well, along with great choreographed dance numbers. The animation is pretty and has improved since the first movie.

I think Illumination animation is really good and they've done great movies, like Despicable Me. The 3rd act was surprising and the final performance is nicely staged with great songs.

When the 3rd act starts, I start liking the movie even more while it keeps surprising me with unexpected scenes. I really do suggest watching Sing 2 (2021), but only if you liked the first one.

I really think you will laugh and will be really entertained in how it plays out.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun for the family
digitalbeachbum27 December 2021
If you haven't seen Sing (the first movie), I recommend seeing it before you watch this one. There is a lot of carry over jokes and information you need to see first.

Other than this, you should just enjoy the movie. The entire family did and the kids were laughing. There are plenty of singing, dancing, and hit songs. The script is easy to follow, the characters are funny and the movie isn't slogged down with any politics, sex or drugs. It's just fun entertainment, the way a movie should be made.
53 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun for the kids, because it is a happy go lucky animation. But fun for grown ups as well, because of the many great songs...
imseeg13 January 2022
Suited for young and old. Endearing musical movie about funny cartoon characters voiced over by famous actors and singers.

For me especially the U2 songs were interesting to listen to and Bono's voice over was pretty funny as well. For U2 fans especially it is worth while taking a peek at this movie for the new U2 covers, which are quite fun to listen to. And let's not forget this is Bono's acting debut, although in the costume of an old, but gracious lion...
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than the original
briancham199429 January 2022
I was pleasantly surprised to see that Sing 2 was better than the original. Although I didn't have an extremely high opinion of the first film, this sequel took the same elements and really blew me away. All the characters are true to their personalities and develop more as they confront challenges on a larger scale than ever before. Tired of being overlooked, the ever ambitious Buster Moon cheats his way into the dazzling Redford City and wins over Crystal and his daughter... for as long as he can! The rest of the cast find they're not what it takes, as Suki had warned them, but they force themselves to make the show work, no matter what. Throughout this film we get many new characters and some returning ones, which does mess up the flow of the film and makes the plot feel choppy at times, but it all comes together at the end.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! Didn't expect that.
silvermistvio11 January 2022
Unbelievably great. Although Sing film series has only one purpose that they perform a great show no matter how difficult situation they are in, I didn't think that it would turn out to be this great. That being said, I'd like to see some other different plots. Still, it's so much fun and in my opinion, it's better than the first one. I had a great time with this film.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Matches its predecessor.
Anurag-Shetty8 January 2022
Sing 2 continues with the story of Buster Moon(Matthew McConaughey) & his buddies. They try to persuade the notoriously private rock music icon, Clay Calloway(Bono), to sing with them for a new musical, they're staging.

Sing 2 is a fun film. Director Garth Jennings has retained the feel-good spirit of Sing(2016) & of course lots of new foot-tapping songs sung by our favorite stars. The original music by U2 lead singer Bono, is fantastic. The cast's voice-overs & their singing, is the highlight of the movie. Matthew McConaughey is brilliant as Buster Moon. Reese Witherspoon is spectacular as Rosita. Scarlett Johansson is fantastic as Ash. Tori Kelly is outstanding as Meena. Taron Egerton is phenomenal as Johnny. Bobby Cannavale is perfect as Mr. Crystal. Bono is excellent as Clay Calloway. The supporting cast is unforgettable. Sing 2 is a must watch, with your entire family. Go & singalong with your favorite characters.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NOT DEEP BUT GREAT FUN TO SING ALONG WITH...!
masonfisk27 December 2021
The sequel to the 2016 original is more of the traditional 'Little Rascals/let's put on a show' as our intrepid promoter, voiced by Matthew McConaughey's Buster Moon, has hopes of taking his mildly successful local show to the big leagues; a Las Vegas like residency but after the scout is not overly impressed by their little show, Moon decides to gather the troops anyway to hopefully crash an audition. Getting his foot in the door, Moon bluffs his way to the show's backer, voiced by Bobby Cannavale, he can produce a reclusive singer, voiced by Bono, out of hiding to participate in their new production; a sci-fi travelogue created by Gunther, Nick Kroll but there is one caveat, Cannavale wants his daughter, singer Halsey, in the show so off the movie goes as the various cast members have their tasks to do interspersed w/warbling of recent hits keeping the well rendered visuals a delight & even though it's not to the story caliber of say Pixar films, they nonetheless still entertain a whole bunch.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect way to end the year.
mrashtastic8930 December 2021
It's not often that a sequel is actually better than the original, but I can certainly say that that was the case here, Sing 2 came out of nowhere and was an incredible surprise.

You might not know this, but Matthew McConaughey is one of my absolute favorite actors ever, and he's one of the the reason I love these films so much, he carries all of them.

The first sing was awesome, and Interstellar was gorgeous, he was perfect in Interstellar and smashed it here.

Johnny and Meena get much better character work than the previous film, and I was so happy when his dad appeared.

Sing 2 also features some of my favorite songs ever, they need to release a sing-along version.

This animation is spectacular, just like the first one, that ending sequence is breathtaking, and Sing 2 is extremely funny.

Whoever got rock star Bono here deserves an award or something, perfect casting choice, he plays a very damaged character, and when he started performing it was amazing.

Sing 2 is a better, funnier, realer version of the first one.

A+.

Perfect way to end the year.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the critics
MattD1202724 December 2021
This movie is wonderful, gorgeous, sad, sweet, and entertaining. You can't help but shed a few tears and bob your head with the beat. It's a feel-good experience without much substance but a ton of joy! Please go see it and feel again :)
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like the 1st installment - the characters carry it through
ayoreinf14 December 2021
I had one more look at my review of the previous installment - I could almost copy paste it here - it's once again riddled with cliché - in fact I could say its basic premise is one of the biggest cliché in the book - follow your dream - is basically the heart of the so called "American dream" - if you really try hard you'll make it - just - never give up.

So - no originality and no surprises at least not in the basic plot. But here's the thing - when you have such wonderfully written roles performed so beautifully by the still stellar cast - it doesn't really matter. And the fact that the basic plot isn't very original is all but forgotten when the narrative twists and turns following these lovely characters we're all so fond of by now. It may not be surprising it's still riveting because we care. We want to see these characters as they struggle on their way to fulfill their dream. We want to see them make it big.

As it's so character driven one must mention the voice acting. As a rule they're all great, but I've got to make some special notes for Bobby Cannavale who's brilliant as the villain and for Halsey who does very well as his spoilt daughter. The entire original cast is still shining bright and one more special mention must go to Bono who does surprise performing the role of the aging recluse Clay Calloway.

Bottom line - it's well done, it's charming, fun and funny all other details are beside the point.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent animated musical.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic8 January 2022
I found this sequel much more fun than the first film. It had me tapping and humming along. The story was well put together too. Excellent character development. This is certainly one of my top ten animated musicals. The animation quality was pretty good too. This is really a film the whole family can enjoy, both young and older will have grins and smiles on their faces by the time the end credits roll. A very good, feel-good film.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sing 2
JoBloTheMovieCritic13 January 2022
7/10 - while I do not think Sing 2 does anything to reinvent any wheels nor may it be the most memorable release, I had a lot of fun watching this music-filled, visually-stunning, and all-around fun flick that ranks as my favorite animated film of the year.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touches the Heart, Universal Studios has made another family hit.
goshamorrell28 November 2021
Buster Moon has a dream: to be the most successful koala in showbiz. In "Sing," he managed to salvage the run-down venue where his musical theater ambitions might thrive, much to the delight of family audiences. Now, in that toon's jam-packed "let's put on a show" sequel, Buster Moon and his menagerie of pigs, primates and other crooning critters head to Redshore City - the Las Vegas-like entertainment capital of their parallel universe, which is basically human in every way except for the fact that there are no humans to be found in it - to launch a massive song-and-dance extravaganza. If "Sing 2" sounds like a shameless excuse for a bunch of celebrities to perform cover versions of Top 40 hits while animated animals lip-sync the lyrics for our amusement ... well, that's essentially what it is. Buster Moon (voiced by Matthew McConaughey) and friends set out to pitch an original show to oddly Trump-like hotelier Jimmy Crystal (Bobby Cannavale), a white wolf with an enormous arena to fill and nothing to draw in the crowds, joined by U2 megastar Bono as a rocker they must lure from retirement for the big night. Bono is an undeniably big get for Illumination, although one assumes that Universal just backed up the cash truck, getting a new U2 tune in the process. The "Sing" recipe is all about recycling familiar songs, but that track, "Your Song Saved My Life" - which is terrific - hints at how special this franchise could be if the team committed to writing original music instead. It's a more unified sequence than the series of solo performances that concluded Sing, emphasizing the camaraderie of a company that's not just a collection of performers anymore, but a community with its own set of values and aspirations. Sing 2 gave me goosebumps when Bono stated walking out playing his famous song, Your Song Saved My life... truggling with loss, Calloway just can't find any reason to sing again after the passing of his singular inspiration. By adapting the melodies of some of the grieving lion's own songs and internalizing their emotional arcs,. Sing 2 will hit theaters December 22, 2021. #sing2.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time 2 Sing
rgkarim23 December 2021
LIKES:

The Animation: DreamWorks may not break the ground that Disney does with the CGI work they do, but it still does impress this reviewer with how gorgeous they make the world of Sing. The popping colors of various set pieces are full of that hopeful energy, perfect for an entertaining movie and keeping your eyes in wonder at the fun to be had. Yet, at the same time, there is a "darker" side to things, which are a work of beauty on its own to help paint the mood and add on to the work of the voice actors. As for movement, it is smooth, great transitions, and filled with that same pizazz the first installment did in the dance and singing moments, alongside the natural movements of the characters. The whole design of the world is a great blend of human merging with animal, and the copying of our architecture and it just makes for a wonderful setting.

The Voice Acting: Sing 2 has acquired quite a cast to bring the group to life, which is always worrisome when it comes to using them to their complete potential. Sing 2 fortunately does an okay job with that and the actors get props for their performances once more. Buster Moon, our loveable koala, has the same hopeful tone McConaughey infused in the last film, adding a bit more stubbornness and focus now that he has been established. Witherspoon feels like a natural again in her role, and nails the performance of the mother and nervous star attempting to go the next level, adding care, charisma, and of course the acting chops she has shown in movies like Home Again. Johansson is the one with a little more diversity than anyone as Ash, who goes a little more into both sides of the spectrum from the Rockstar jamming youth, to an old spirit wise animal, who manages to intelligently keep things together. Yet the winners for my favorite performances are Nick Kroll, Bobby Cannavale, and Garth Jennings. Kroll as Gunter is sensational, he's the energy and ridiculous, peppy pig, with the lines that are the most memorable and they have taken the foundation and elevated him further to be my particularly favorite character. Cannavale plays the wolf, and much like other films where he adds the villain tone, he injects the tone of the antagonist quite well without diving too far down the rabbit hole of evil. He was arrogant and an egomaniac, typical of a businessman with everything, and it fit into the world well, allowing him to bare his teeth more as the movie progressed. I think he nailed the character to the best degree and I certainly give him props for making a good kids' movie villain. As for Jennings, the director as the voice of the female chameleon continues to be another awesome performance in mannerisms, comedy, and heart given the scenes that Ms. Crawly takes on in this film.

The Heart: Sing took a concept of American Idol with animals, and managed to go deeper into the soul and heart of humans to inspire as it approached the ending. In Sing 2, the story takes another deeper step down that road and manages to do a glorious job of getting you teary eyed/smiling at the wonder to be hold. There are a lot of subplots in this story, using a wide variety of characters as they are forced to balance, analyze, and address the problems they are facing. For this reviewer, they managed to tug some heart strings very well, and once again inspire to do better and open my mind to new possibilities. Sing 2 is certain to hit a lot of the target audience the same way, and depending on the age and makeup of your kid, might just dig deep into them as well and get them to be excited about things to come. It's the quality core component of the family aspect of this film, and I don't think many will be disappointed by the direction they took.

The Performances/Music: Let's face it, with a title like Sing as your franchise, you know a heavy element is the music that has been purchased/created for this film. Once again Illumination Studios has done a great job of acquiring a diversity of songs to sing in their list, and have integrated both original and covers of the song to help get the earworm going. Unlike several other franchises though, they manage to maximize most of their songs into the plot and give more purpose and meaning to their inclusion then simply just shoving them in the movie. Jennings and his music team really hit their A game for me, finding the right placements of songs in the non-performance moments to help elevate the emotion to new levels, and giving us a great cover to boot. Yet, it's the performance moments that really pizazz and become the hybrid of movie and stage show that was always promised in the original movie. Sing 2 gives us amazing numbers to the unorthodox Sci-Fi Stage show, and is really the crown jewel that climactically finishes this heartwarming tale. I loved the ending so much for many reasons and feel that this will be a lot of audience members' favorite moments when they hit this film. This part is definitely worthy of theater level viewing, and if you got the guts for 3-D, I think it helped to be honest.

DISLIKES: The Plot: It's a kids' film and I get things have to be a bit lighter to not bore the hyper energy kiddos that will be the primary target. However, Sing, Madagascar, and Despicable Me have all proven that you can layer a plot and still be good. Sing 2 started to do this, but I don't think it reached the full potential that it was going for. Outside of predictability, the movie seems sort of lost in which aspects to work through, giving a timetable that makes for rushed moments and impasses that are hurdles a bit too quickly. That level of integration in the first film is only a sliver, perhaps due to focus on the ending, or perhaps due to pandemic cutting into time and budget. Either way, the plot is complete, but without the solid ending may have suffered more given the integration issues.

The Character Usage/Growth: Sing 2 already had a heavy cast to begin with, but they added more to the mix to try for expansion and it was decent and fun. However, like the plot, the character growth, focus, and abilities are a bit blander than I had hoped given the advertising for this movie. It's a fast paced juggle, going from subplot to subplot in rapid manner and never giving us the time, focus, and energy to really see them work past the fears and limitations plaguing them. Many of the moments are to one scene, or a quick montage that offers little backstory, bonding, and trust that we saw in that first film. Things are again too sewn together in that Playhouse Disney sort of way, and for older audience members like me seeing those moments helps add spectacle to the film. Again, it's not the worst suspense of disbelief, but something more was needed to help spread and balance the stories and songs that I was looking for.

The Advertising: This is one of those major cases where commercials went way too far to give you the movie, as they gave you almost the entire movie. Sing 2's commercials showed way too much, and offered little surprise or twists that this movie could have used super well. I'm guessing that from what I've seen in trailers, you have about 60-65% of the movie already for viewing, with only the stage show offering any incentive to still see it. Sing 2's advertisement aggressiveness may have ruined more of the film than any other aspect, just because I had pieced the entire thing together from the bits and pieces they gave in their 2-3 minute ads for about 10 ads. That is indeed the biggest weakness for me in this film, so if you have avoided the commercials... good job and this will be a moot point.

The VERDICT: Sing 2 is a great sequel in terms of entertainment, teaching, design, and spectacle when it comes to animated movies. It has heart, it has energy, and it really builds off the base of the first movie in the goal to give something new, while respecting the traditions. The voice acting is fun, with the new voices finding a welcome home in the big animal city, while the new world is clever in its portrayal of our world. It really is the music and performances that are the selling point though, and for this reviewer the backbone of why you should hit the theater to check this film out. Limitation wise though, I don't think the movie did quite the best work when it came to character and time management, taking a fast track approach and really sidestepping the true potential of the soulful moments the first film did so well. The movie may have been too hopeful in its inclusion of voices and characters and needed another half an hour to reach the same level of quality the first one did. However, the worst part is the aggressive advertisements that have given much of the movie away and if you can avoid this, well then you are in good shape and should be god, but otherwise you know most of the movie from watching those alone. My scores for Sing 2 are:

Animation/Adventure/Comedy: 8.0 Movie Overall: 7.0.
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sing 2 Is A Winning Performance
garethvk2 December 2021
"Sing 2" is a charming and enjoyable follow up to the 2016 "Sing" and in many ways is the rare sequel that surpasses the original. The new film finds Buster Moon (Matthew McConaughey) and his performers enjoying a run of sod out shows in his theater.

Unwilling to settle for success in a regional locale; Buster and crew set off for the big city to produce and perform a show for Bigshot Jimmy Crystal (Bobby Cannavale); who is as ruthless as they come. After conning his way into an audition; Buster claims their new show will feature the return of reclusive Rock Icon Clay Calloway (Bono); who has been a recluse for the past fifteen years.

Jimmy is intrigued and gives Buster a chance and inserts his daughter Porsha (Halsey) into the show despite the fact that while she is a gifted singer; her acting is cringe worthy.

What follows is a madcap tale filled with music and humor as the crew desperately try to get the show ready and stay away from the very dangerous Jimmy Crystal.

The music is very good and the cast is as enjoyable as ever. I would have liked to have seen Seth Mac Farlane return but the performances from Taron Egerton, Reese Witherspoon, Scarlett Johansson, and the ensemble more than deliver.

For those who enjoyed the first film and are looking for some fun entertainment for the family; "Sing 2" is a winning performance.

4 stars out of 5.
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dang thats good
ariqakbar11 January 2022
At first i though the animation was quite 'off' the track, but it just the Sing style. As soon as the movie going i can finally see the great detail again. So sorry for my inpatient.

The story is good, delivery with so much fun, and a good fast phase. Waste no time.

The movie fill with some serious emotion from the half of the time its been going, clay calloway present really add some spark to this movie. Have so much goosebumps moment me personally.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainment for the big kids
singhlall16 February 2022
This was amazing. Some great songs and performances. This will appeal to big kids and little kids too. Humour on a number of levels. Check it out. Bono has a great role and this is a thoughtful and well written "kids " film.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really great film, computer animation has come a long way
On_The_Mark14 January 2022
This was better than the first one but also just the animation - man, it's amazing. When he comes out of the water, the wet fur, the stuff they're doing today is incredible, it looks so real. The whole city, the anamorphic animals, it's hard to believe it's animation. Just incredible work, beautiful colors and so much detail, there will be times you will want to pause to see everything. The work here is something to be appreciated.

Plus watch the little details, when a character moves an eye or a hand, little gestures, so much work was put into everything. The movement of the characters is just spectacular in every way.

But the script is great and one of the best cast animated films for sure. Everyone was great. The music was great, the direction was wonderful. Honestly, I love good computer animated films and there are some that have great animation but a boring script or visa versa but this has everything. I think this will go down as a minor classic. Just a wonderful film.

I would love to transport myself from 30 years ago to today and watch this and see how amazed I'd be. A+ film.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bono is the Bonus
gdraper-994249 January 2022
It was really good and i am stunned that Scarlet Johannson is really good in singing those lines.. but i just felt like i still want to hear more from Bono😅 but the whole plot of the movie is excellent.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I seem to have got dust in my eye...
nigepitz9 January 2022
Sentimental and ridiculous. Loved every minute of it. Great voice cast and choice of songs. Can't stand Bono or U2 but all is forgiven now. Think I might watch it again....
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
jeroduptown23 December 2021
Buster Moon is back with the cast trying to make it big in Vegas. They bring a reclusive songwriter out of hiding while they stand their ground against an egotistical producer.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.