The Personal History of David Copperfield (2019) Poster

Way too smarmy and about half an hour too long
shanx247 September 2019
Caught this at TIFF. One had a managed set of expectations beforehand given the schmaltz in Dicken's feel-good novel with black and white morality in its characters. There are fun lines, but the loud music at all times is a bit too much. Half way through the movie you start wishing it'll get to its crowd-pleasing end. It takes another hour to get there. Characters are predictable platitudes. Hugh Laurie looks genuinely bored in his underused waste of time. Watch the 1999 show with Maggie Smith instead.
42 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful
chloe-381263 October 2019
It made my heart full. I found David Copperfield (Dev Patel) to be incredibly moving and I love the way every character is treated with some measure of compassion. It was also brilliant to see Peter Capaldi and Hugh Laurie on a screen again. It made me want to read the book.
33 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Hogwash
johnaskew2 January 2020
Dev Patel is Funny, Dickens is brilliant but they just don't go together, ridiculous concept.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointingly underwhelming...
CelluRob16 November 2019
I'm not Armando Iannucci's biggest fan so saw this at the Opening Gala of the London Film Festival with some trepidation. Unfortunately, I wasn't pleasantly surprised. Dev Patel does bring some charm to the proceedings, but the attempts at comedy in this retelling of Dickens' classic just don't work for me at all. Ben Whishaw and Tilda Swinton appear to be fish out of water and whilst it is good to see Hugh Laurie back on the big screen it all comes across as a bit of a hotch-potch of ideas and aspirations. The book's original questioning of Victorian values around child exploitation and of more general social attitudes seem to have been largely sidelined, robbing the story of much of it's heart and soul. It is also quite unnecessarily lengthy at just shy of two hours. As you'd expect, it is a good film to look at, featuring some very picturesque East Anglian villages that probably haven't changed anything like as much as this story from the days of Charles Dickens himself.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A terrific telling of a wonderful novel
jfurler9 November 2019
Despite the negative reviews I found this a really wonderful retelling of Dickens novel. Having listened to fantastic audiobook version by Martin Jarvis I was looking forward to this but worried about the poor reviews. In fact the movie captures the wonderful characters and emotions of Dickens novel. Obviously some things are omitted but overall this is a satisfying and engaging and artful rendition of a wonderful novel.
20 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why?
temporary_email_address1 November 2019
Love Dickens. Love Dev Patel. Like most of the actors, and actresses in the movie. This.... However was an... Utter waist of source material. / Miss casting. / (Comedy... really?) And talent / money, that should have been poured into a project. That would have reaped the rewards, and accolades, it could have earned..
39 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From the sublime
camross730 November 2019
Great they have done it again from the sublime to the ridiculous. Roll your eyes look to the heavens and shout wwwwwhhhhhhyyyy. I don't know why I've seen the film it's terrible and totally unbelievable nothing more than a PC tick the box piece of garbage.

So please look to the heavens and shout wwwwwhhhhyyyy
32 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ridiculous casting
adamdrewry8 October 2019
I love dev patel as an actor and I love Dickens, however, when I watch a movie, I like to feel as though I can believe what I see on the screen and I just find it absolutely ridiculous to cast actors who quite blatantly would not have looked that way at the time. I walked out of teh showing as it makes no sense for a period piece set in the early 2th century in london and especially as Dickens wrote David Copperfiled as a semi-autobiographical work. The BBC do this all the time and it really ruins the enjoyment for me.
81 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor comedy
summawrestling7 September 2019
Nothing worse than turning a classic of English literature into cheap comedy...
52 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute PC Hogwash
markp-9549311 January 2020
Nothing good I can say about this film, feels utterly contrived to suit the woke generation and it fails on every level possible.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dire and poor casting
marcandjanina11 January 2020
Saw this recently at a screening. Not sure if it's the final film that will be screened in May but too late now to change the casting of Dev Patel. I'm sure the filmmakers cast him purposely to ensure there'll be some controversy. He is an okay actor but he's not David Copperfield. David Copperfield was white as with his parents. The makers have obviously looked at the book again and seen there was an Indian connection with David's aunt Betsy, in that her husband who was much younger than her, had visited India and rode an elephant there. Had he visited China I'm sure there would've had a Chinese David Copperfield. The comedy is farcical and stupid.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.