Invisible Life (2019) Poster

A Powerful Tropical Tragedy
ernestoloaizareal22 October 2019
How much did our mothers and grandmothers suffer from the patriarchy? How much did they have to hide, supress and ignore to protect us from past abuses?

Karim Ainouz tells, in his emotional tropical melodrama, stories from a time when a woman was expected to be subordinate in every single aspect of her life. Guida and Eurídice, apart from each other, lived outrageous trajectories, and, unfortunately, with expressive scars that lasted until today. The lies of extremally conservative parents, the superb and envy of Eurídice's husband, the suffering in maternity, the crucial solidarity between desperate women - all of it built a strong indignation and, at last, everybody cries in the end: a real tragic one. Fernanda Montenegro is an acting gem.

With technical maestry, Karim's team guides the movie in a raw way. The cinematography of Hélène Louvart is outstanding capturing old, green and dirty Rio de Janeiro. Karim's directing choices are really touching and carry a whole bunch of social issues with flow. The cello and piano from Benedikt Schiefer are as unsettling as the character's obstacles.

I hope that when women (especially older ones) watch this movie, they identify themselves and keep fighting against the male authoritarianism, fighting for freedom. I hope that when men watch this movie, they identify in themselves traces of sexism to keep changing, to keep evolving and encouraging other ones to be better.

It's definitely an incredible and important movie that answers the questions above with some of the multiple possibilites, multiple realities that exist. It's a must see
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing experience
djguzz17 November 2019
An immersive experience with great acting and a terrific story. One of the best movies of 2019. Highly recommended!
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful
thiagoespeche2 December 2019
This movie should be seen by every man and woman in the world.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece!
jhcereja8 November 2019
This is a memorable movie, sensational masterpiece!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Eternal Sisterhood of Eurídice Gusmão
RMaba1 December 2019
Directed by Karim Aïnouz, The Invisible Life (A Vida Invisível) tells the tale of two sisters, Eurídice (Carol Duarte) and Guida (Julia Stockler), who loose one another. Lied and betrayed by their family, especially their Portuguese, conservative and controlling father, both sisters believe the other is experiencing a perfect life in Europe while living in Rio de Janeiro.

Exquisitely shot and produced, with bright saturated colors and sounds, the film is also wonderfully acted. Both leads are excellent, even if Carol Duarte's Eurídice may not have the most accurate accent for the character's history.

The slow pacing is very suitable for the plot, quietly expanding on tensions, which are powerfully discharged by a masterful, emotional ending performance by Fernanda Montenegro.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Artfully Captures Brazilian Culture and Nuances of the 1950s
rannynm7 December 2019
The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao is a melodrama that gives the audience a look at Brazilian culture during the 1950s and what life was like for most women under the patriarchal society that often made them struggle to succeed. What captured my attention from the outset were the spectacular set design and the period costumes that accurately depict life from that time. The production team, particularly director Karim Aïnouz and producer Rodrigo Teixeira, have my ultimate respect in nailing those aspects so accurately. This film entertained and educated me about that period of time and its culture, which are very unique characteristics I don't often see, but love.

The film is about two inseparable sisters living in Rio de Janeiro during the 1950s, that live under their conservative parents' strict guidance. Even though both sisters are involved in the traditional life that surrounds them, Euridice wants to become a renowned pianist and Guida wants to find true love. When their father separates them and makes them live apart from each other, they work to meet their goals, while hoping that they can reunite one day and celebrate life together, since they are each other's support and joy.

My favorite scene is when Euridice carefully covers for Guida's secret nighttime outings to dance clubs with a Greek sailor. She encourages her sister to not give in to their parents' strict lifestyle and proposes that they should expose themselves to experiences that will fill them with happiness.

The important message that I learned from this film is the importance of how women have fought for their place and equality within a patriarchal society. Before, women were submissive to the patriarch, but as time has passed, society has realized what a huge injustice was being made and corrected the social forms. This movie is very big on showing how times were different back then for women and how thankful we all must be that a turn was made. Young women like Euridice and Guida struggled from an early age to find happiness. I rate this movie 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 13 to 18, plus adults.

Reviewed by Alejandra G. , KIDS FIRST! Reviewers. For more film reviews by tweens and teens, visit kidsfirst dot org.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tragically beautiful, or beautifully sad
erikgabrielhr5 December 2019
My biggest turndown with Invisible Life's biggest competition inside Brazil this year ('Bacurau') was the excess of metaphors to make it a smart work -- some of which have absolutely no contibution to the story. Still, it was able to provoke a lot of emotional reactions, it's specially smart and meaningful to watch from a Brazilian perspective. Invisible Life is something different, it's universal, delicate and rough at the same time, and it's story has no need to explaining -- we all know what it is about. Still, they explain (the only reason why it's not a 100% for me). Carol Duarte and Julia Stockler are incredible. Also need to mention the short appearance from Brazil's greatest actress of all time, Academy Award nominee Fernanda Montenegro, not only for the name but mostly because, after 120 minutes of the movie, her performance was still able to reach out to the emotions you built for the characters in the past 2 hours. Overall, absolutely beautiful. The film is a visual spectacle, but also a beautiful and touching story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
rich in emotion and atmosphere
mjfhhh24 August 2019
Guida and Euidice are two sisters who could not be any more different. Euridice is tall, Guida is short. Euridice is focused, determined and working hard to become a professional pianist, Guida can't think about anything but boys. When a tragic incident separates them the girls are lost without each other but they never give up hope to meet again. A desperate search turns into a journey of a lifetime, when in fact the girls only live a few streets away from each other... will the sisters be able to reunite? And at what cost?

Based on a novel INVISIBLE LIFE offers a very typical plot for Brazilian cinema. Sisters separated by fate is a tagline straight from GLOBO tv channel soap operas that are so popular in Brazil. With a running time of 2h20min the pace is rather slow and the story takes its time to get going. Where the film succeeds is the atmosphere of the 40s Rio, with its walkways, restaurants, and its diminishing Portuguese middle class that can easily slip into extreme hardship and poverty.

Independent director Karim Ainouz is a Cannes darling but has never quite made it into the big league. This feels like a passion project for him and his love for Rio is obvious in every shot. Definitely not for everyone THE INVISIBLE LIFE is rich in emotion and atmosphere. Watch out for a small role from Brazilian acting royalty Fernando Montenegro. Her emotional gut wrenching cameo could be just the reason to see this overlong family saga.
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sisters power
Adelejde17 July 2019
Very touching portrait of two sisters in Rio de Janeiro. In the world of men, they want to make their dreams come true. We have here one story about two lives. Very imporant movie which shows how lives of many women looked like in the early fifties. There is no hypocrisy here and the story itself drags us into their world.
2 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black-and-white feminist epic
b_velkova22 November 2019
After I read the story was about "two sisters each mistakenly believing the other is living out her dreams", I expected a rivalry dynamic causing each sister to try and decieve the other she's doing great. And I was very interested to see this movie. But it turned out to be a black-and-white feminist epic where all men are moronic tyrants and all women - saintly victims supporting each other against the enemy. For better or for worse, real life is much more nuanced and I personally like to decide for myself how I see one situation or another rather than to be fed with sexist perspectives no matter which sex they are coming from! That doesn't mean I don't relate to most of the situations, maybe the most powerful being the one where on a Christmas eve a father says thanks to his daughter for keeping things as usual after the mother has passed away, or basically for taking up her role! I got so furious, I could enter the screen and destroy him on the spot! On the other hand, there is so much ugliness between women too that the perfect sisterly relations portrayed in the movie seem unconvincing to say the least. I know, it's very tiresome to have to decide who the enemy is based on current evidence, but otherwise you risk your freedom every time you decide to trust your prejudice. Because it doesn't matter if you end up in the kitchen with a bunch of children hanging from your apron or performing at the piano if it's not what YOU want.
1 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average movie
arefe-e8 December 2019
Characters are not that much sympathetic and the rythm is slow, everything is on surface and we couldn't delve to the characters and storylines, mostly I think because of lack of brilliant writing and dialogues. The only character despite the short amount of time was well written and well played was Filomena
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.