Villains (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

Truly unique, wild ride
marie-ketring16 March 2019
I saw this film at its last screening at the SXSW film festival. I can't believe how freaking likable the main characters are. I absolutely enjoyed every second of it. It's good old twisted and crazy fun. Check it out if you can, you'll scream and laugh at the same time.
49 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Demented awesomeness
UniqueParticle20 September 2019
Maika Monroe and Bill Skarsgard are so great together! I don't wanna even remotely slightly spoil this weird movie so I will just say a few things, this is a great movie and the editing is one of the best things ever! I'm glad I have regal premium cause I pre ordered my ticket a week before Villains even came out, happily saw day 1 which is rare. It has lots of profanity, some comedic bits, morbid stuff, and great dialogue; I highly recommend it. I guess I'm not allowed to enjoy this movie geez, disliking a great review ugh!
40 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No, that's shock not schlock.... oh never mind
bob_meg1 February 2020
I was lured in here by the 84% Rotten Tom score.

It looked promising... all the actors here are very talented. If nothing else, it could have been nicely demented in ways only indie horror dares to aim for.

But there's nothing really here script-wise you haven't seen unless you've just come off the Tom Hanks Mr. Rogers movie. In the past few years we've seen some really creative small production horror/black comedy/thrillers from "Bliss" to "68 Kill" --- movies that take no prisoners (or even spin new angles on old tropes like "Witch In the Window"), and the blood and guts rest stop is a last resort though that can be cool peppered in with well-developed characters and interesting plot twists.

"Villains" really doesn't have any of that. It starts out with Skarsgard and Monroe robbing a gas station, Natural Born Killers lite-style but with some nice cutting and a good chem between the leads. Both are pushing the overacting buttons just a tad, but it seems oddly in character. These are two lost souls who really do think their life is a movie, or they wish it was.

The big problem with these anti-heroes is you're never truly won over by them, but the script desperately wishes you were. Scene after scene we're hoping for something beneath the surface with Mickey and Jules, and we get a glimpse of it in the last few minutes of the movie --- up till then, they never seem engaged enough with each other or what's happening to make you really care. Monroe in particular is natural but oddly restrained. It's almost as if the light tone set at the beginning works against them for the rest of the film. Ditto the "sadistic crazy" couple whose crumbling country home they raid for a gallon of gas. They're bad but not REALLY that bad... hey shading is great but there's no decent story to hang anything on here.

"Villains" is a gigantic wish-wash of this type of soft pedaling. To generate real emotion and engagement you have to take some risks, but Villains plays it safe till an end that stretches all credibility and nullifies the scant backstory Monroe has been given (not a real original one, of course).

This isn't an awful film by any means and maybe some people will find it interesting, original, and off-beat in a warm-fuzzy way.

But if you go in expecting something off-the-wall insane like The Devil's Rejects or as creative as Apple TV+'s "Servant", you'll be disappointed. Or even something as sincere as the Mister Rogers movie, now that I think about it.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome trailer, average movie
JoePesci19 February 2020
Was expecting great things after the trailer. The storyline was good and there was some fun along the way but the script was lacking any real spark and there weren't many memorable moments.

Worth a watch if your bored.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quickly and boring
noranamin28 December 2019
I didn't really like the movie , it wasn't even a comedy for me and it was boring even though it's short, I love Bill Skargard but this movie is a waste of time , the story is not interesting and the acting was quite bad especially the ending scene , I regretted watching this movie , save your time and watch another interesting movie
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to love it
mvike1 January 2020
I really like Maika, everything she is in is quirky and fun (THE GUEST, was awesome). The male lead was also great, as were the "evil" couple. The acting was so on point, and everyone was incredibly likeable, I think they made the film better than it otherwise would've been!

With that said, the plot is kinda wonky, and it's nothing you haven't seen 100x it's kinda the typical, "outlaws stumble upon a dangerous abode" type film.

As much as I'm not a comedy fan really, if this was a straight up comedy, it would've been AMAZING!! But...it's actually a crime/horror/drama/comedy. I believe it tried to be so much that it never really decided what to be. The beginning was light hearted and funny, the middle was a bit odd, but tries to be serious, and the final act it gets super dark out of no where.

It's one of those movies that you're glad you saw but probably won't watch again. I liked it, I wanted to love it.

Find myself saying this fairly often, but this too would've been a fantastic TV show.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart, Darkly Funny and Original!
roger-99-17159911 August 2019
After robbing a bank, two outlaw lovebirds get stranded on the road without gas. As they break-in to an apparently abandoned house, they have no idea what expects them. First they discover a child chained in the basement, and then they meet the child's creepy parents. Actors Maika Monroe and Bill Skarsgård develop an incredible chemistry, creating a direct connection to the audience. A sensation at SXSW, writers-directors Dan Berk and Robert Olsen's third collaborative work is a darkly funny and bizarre modern take on the Gothic terrain with subtle commentary on societal clashes and prejudices.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We deserved to see Bill Skarsgård's real face in action and it was just brilliant.
Aktham_Tashtush14 December 2019
The movie is quick .. has a perfect harmony between the comedy, drama and action... the plot was genuine and the script was so connected and almost flawless ...

Bill Skarsgård was amazing ,, liked him showing his nervous intense comedic act .. he and Maika Monroe were a good duo ,, and Jeffrey Donovan was perfect for the role.

The whole thing might seem small due to the limited set and really small cast but man!! the story shined and expanded that at some moments it leaves you on the edge of your seat.

Anyway,, as I said, Bill deserves this .. even though every time I look at his eyes it kinda still freaks me out 😂😂 but he did amazing. and I hope this does well on the boxoffice.
18 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Swing and a miss
SYOTOS195423 February 2020
I really tried to like this movie. The story just never took off . It kept teasing something really cool was going to happen .Let me save you some time . It did not. The performances were solid. Kudos to the writers for the attempt but for me it missed the mark
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly comedy/satire, not my cup of tea
MovieQween-3362216 February 2020
I get why some may have liked this movie because it does have humor and decent acting. But I didn't care for it, thinly laced plot and boring.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maika Monroe <3
winterlantern15 December 2019
I watched this movie mainly because I'm a huge fan of Maika Monroe, and it was just as great as I hoped it'd be. The two main characters have a fun dynamic and a lot of chemistry, the plot is constantly twisting and keeping you on your toes, and the antagonists are both hilarious and terrifying. This is one of those movies where the less you know about it the better, so if you're looking for a good thriller comedy, go watch this!
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Basic
zack_gideon7 January 2020
It's basic so very basic. It could have been really good instead it's just basic stuff. Watch people under the stairs instead.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To Quote Hunter S. Thompson...
thebrothersbev29 September 2019
"It never got weird enough for me." Villains is not a bad film, nor is it one I regret watching. It is brisk, quirky, and without any offensively glaring issues other than it plays it safe. This little genre film had potential in regards to all aspects of filmmaking (the writing, direction, acting, etc.) but it also had an air of reserve that suggests inexperience. Villains is so concerned with going down easy for the mainstream that it never attempts to be anything past standard. I wanted to love this film in the way I love Funny Games, Bound, and virtually everything by John Waters, but instead I find myself going back to one word when someone asks me to describe Villains... "meh."
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great acting, tight plot, and very smart pacing.
michaelely-0162715 December 2019
Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. Bill Skarsgard shines in his role as does his fellow actors. The relationships between the two couples feel organic and real, not forced. It doesn't seem like they're acting. The plot is fairly simple, but it's elegantly executed and never drags. There is very little violence, but when violence happens, it feels visceral. And the dialogue is hypnotic. Scene direction and musical score is on point. My only gripe with this film is a minor one: the resolution felt abrupt, and after all that build up I would have liked to see something more. But overall, this was a damn fine movie that deserves more exposure than the small amount it has already had.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Villains are not 💯% bad people
zooou19 December 2019
The film is really entertaining i loved the relationship the criminal couples had the tow were incredible you will laugh with them and feel sorry for them too , that was the good part of the film the brilliant mix of comedy Drama and thriller. Bill was amazing at the role just like everyone else however the small crew but they will give you too emotion
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
False advertisement
brysonking-8228123 September 2019
Ok honestly I went to see this movie on a weekend with my girlfriend.....long story short it was boring as hell. If your looking for some type of thriller horror film this isn't it. Save your damn money. Wait until DVD or Netflix or whichever comes first.
25 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'The people under the stairs' REMAKE.
donttouchmeprimate22 December 2019
Basically the same story with a few changes, the original is more horror and gritty. This is more of a situational dark comedy. Both good in their own right. Absolutely recommend them both. 'Villains' is a great way to get into this genre of film.
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good
styles666200115 December 2019
Good acting story line was cracking dark but funny in places
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jeffrey Donovan kills "IT"
TuesdayThe17th16 December 2019
Villains is the new and best film to date from the directors of "Stakeland 2" and the suspense drama "Body". It is brilliantly acted by 4 perfectly casted actors including Bill Skarsgard and one of my favorites, Jeffrey Donovan. Casting Bill Skarsgard was smart. Not only because since following the fame of "IT2" alone this movie will probably do quite well, but because it was the perfect role for him to show his true acting skills, as he is mainly and almost entirely known from behind a gallon of clown makeup. He clearly is a phenomenal actor as he shines in this movie and creates some very funny as well as very emotional scenes. His acting never drops. He just keeps going and going, continuously impressing. Jeffrey Donovan was the other shining star here. He is always a really good actor but in "Villains" he is exceptional. The artistic directing and editing make this movie stand above many others. The movie moves briskly and with great dialog as it is mainly character driven. This is a great choice for fans of situational capers and top quality suspense
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was the point?
Eli_Elvis20 February 2020
Was this supposed to be a comedy? It's a sht script. Nothing makes sense.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keeps you on your toes
tallblondeandfun21 September 2019
Jeffrey Donovan was amazing and entertaining! The main characters had me rooting for them the entire time. I highly recommend this movie!!
12 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a hoot!
mhtyler3 October 2019
Seriously, why is this rated only 6.6 on IMDB, this film is fun from beginning to end, with great characters, good writing, and a solid ending. Donovan deserves a supporting oscar nom.
11 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good ride.
subxerogravity21 September 2019
It's got action, it's got horror, it's got romance, it's got comedy. Villains is a pretty good package, overall. I really like what was going on here. It's never boring always amusing and the story just kept evolving though out until the end. Great!
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
kpicyn31 January 2020
The movie has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The two main highlights for me are Monroe ans Skarsgard's acting which is bad and the script which is inane. If you want to be bored and frustrated by the stupidity of what you are watching at the same time, this movie is for you. The rest should avoid it at all cost. Don't say you weren't warned.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maika Monroe's bad acting and boring plot
fang_proxy15 January 2020
There isn't much to say beside it was waste of time
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.