The Skin of the Wolf (2017) Poster

Incredibly Powerful
kevingibbins16 July 2018
This film blew me away. Not only was the cinematography exceptional, the score lent itself perfectly to the stark yet beautiful surrounds. Mario Casas played the mountain man perfectly, an uncultured and uncouth brute who intimidates all who come before him. A man out of time living in tune with wild nature. The film evokes the sense that the modern world is a veil, and that nature is a brutal yet beautiful mistress, it resonated with me because modern people have forgotten what is necessary to survive within the natural world. His constant work, his constant prowling, he leaps off the screen part animal and part man. He could be the earliest homo sapien living in the Paleolithic.

Yet in his one true friend in the village, in his small acts of affection, in his final act of mercy, and in his rare emotions, the viewer glimpses something which is uniquely human, both of nature and set apart from it. Despite his wild and solitary nature, his true heart is revealed in subtle and clever ways. Both director and actor carry this off masterfully. The only reason I don't give this 10/10 is because I thought that even a mountain man would recognize that verbal communication and affection were important, a small oversight in the screenplay imo, but all in this was a thought provoking, and quite touching insight into the human condition. If you enjoy thought provoking, beautifully shot and acted films which evoke real feeling, I recommend this.
38 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unusual and powerful
hello-690768 July 2018
This is a contemplative but powerful drama with scarce dialogue and where the movie relies on the absolute amazing photography and great acting of Mario Casas and Irene Escolar. It's a story about loneliness, hardship and survival in the rural northern country side of Spain in late 19th century that depicts the relationship between a trapper and his young wife. The lack of dialogue creates an atmosphere that is contagious and transfers the emotional state of the characters to the perfection. Extermely well done, Bravo!
38 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible movie! Do not overlook.
alexandrovn14 July 2018
Great drama in the best traditions of the european movie! Great acting, powerfull scenario, wonderfull camera, panoramas, touching music. Everything in that movie is perfect. A masterpiece wich would make think about it days after seeing it! I wish the european movie could have the same efficiantg marketing as the american ones!I am lucky to have the possibility to see that genious work!Bravo!!!!!
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
visually stunning
Kirpianuscus17 July 2018
It is the lead trait defining it. but not only. maybe, not the most significant. bitter and strange and useful and a poem -like. a film about loneliness in its most profound sense. the silence, the music, the photography, the landscapes, the close -up. each defining a profound special film. short, a film out of any description or definition. reflection of a state of soul. simple. and cold. perfect in each detail. a useful film. about a world from XIX century. but, in fact, a question about yourself. is it a masterpiece ? surrely, it is more.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely
patato-5455113 July 2018
Amazing landscapes, sound and loneliness. Totally worth it.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
true masterpiece
adventurer_ci9 July 2018
Spanish cinema rarely disappoints. Acting is almost always superb! I am still thinking about this film, several hours after I finished watching. The ending has left me deeply emotional. The acting is fenomenal. Highly recommend. Everyone would have their own perception of the film. For me, it was about a gentle soul behind his burly appearance and a senseless tragedy.
22 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Work of True Genius
pdrabzz10 July 2018
There is very little I can add to the already glowing testimonials of those who have written before me, save to say that this visually stunning and masterfully enacted film is a rare masterpiece. The beauty of the setting and the reams of unspoken dialogue make this film truly unique. Please don't overlook this film, give yourself a treat and watch something of a quality you may never see again.
23 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Artistic Adventure
silvasiembra21 July 2018
I really enjoyed this artistic masterpiece. There are so many shots that can be drawn on canvas. Beautifully filmed backgrounds which were amazing and diverse. Then, there was the acting... which added another artistic ingredient. If you are an artist of sorts, you will experience an emotional scenic ride when seeing this film. I'm convinced that many conversations will result from seeing this film which tackled the human spirit in such an artistic and profound fashion.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mario Casas
WVfilmfem15 July 2018
And here, until this film, he had just been a pretty boy. Such an amazing performance. Yes, he was an inarticulate brute, and, yes, there was rape. Hard to watch, and one definitely empathizes with the two women, even the second wife's desperate choice. It's a gritty, beautifully filmed and performed drama. Well worth the time to watch.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brillant. I live up a mountain in Spain and...
jochip23 July 2019
...Taking the way gender roles are in rural Spain in 2019, I would say this movie is a pretty accurate reflection of how things could have been 100 or more years ago. We mustn't try to judge it using today's social norms. Martínon is a product of both his environment and the social mores of his time. Oft cast by reviewers as "a brute", occasionaly, he shows a more tender side - such as when Pascuala falls ill and when Adela is later caught in a trap. He tries to nurse them both, with devastating consequences. Did he deserve what befell him? Definitely not. To me, the power of this drama lies in its sparse dialogue, the stunning photography, and the subtle examination of the human condition and how man interacts with nature. I could watch it again and again. If you don't like a subtle movie that relies on the expressions of its characters, this isn't for you.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece
u-emoli8 July 2018
This is a gorgeous, atmospheric, beautifully filmed, acted and directed film. The leading actor is fantastic. I absolutely loved it from beginning to the end.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful and Disturbing
spottedram15 December 2018
I recently saw this and I am still unsettled about the ending. He did not deserve that. Sure he was a brute but he saved her life. Love in his own way. The beauty in the film was how adept he was with his world on the mountain.When he realized he was being poisoned, why didn't he go to the village and confront the family. Or a doctor? Why did he give up?
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not set in the 19th century!
aashton-4866227 August 2018
Please stop including a time period in your reviews. I'm not quite sure why this bothers me so bad. I know they don't state a specific time period throughout the movie. HOWEVER, two obvious things place the movie in either just before the outbreak of the Spanish civil war or a few years post Spanish civil war period. That version of the Spanish Mauser he uses was not invented pre twentieth century. Also, look at the clothes his two wives wear! They are definitely from the 1930s. Check out his second wife's shoes, as she walks up the mountains. They are most certainly from fashions beyond the 1920s. Rural European mountain villages in the early to mid twentieth century may not have women sporting the latest fashions. It could be the 1940s and the women are wearing dresses that look from the 1930s. Definitely not from the 19th century!
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gem
icmorton5 August 2018
So glad to see the majority of User Reviews are positive. It's an engrossing, tactile film that speaks far more with facial expression than spoken word, magnificently performed and photographed. My only quibble was one somewhat unresolved character destination at the end, not wanting a spoiler situation here, but whatever. I never write reviews but I thought this gem deserved more support. I will watch for this director in the future.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a master piece
wachberg7 July 2018
Among the best films i have seen in a long time. a visually epic setting. a film reduced to the essence of the art. hardly a word spoken. intense characters, which develop without developing, who are full of meaning without speaking.

i enjoy seeing the craft of a film maker at work. how he portrays the two women in their very first shots in different ways. the first enjoying his ruthless sexuality, the second marrying him in a virgin like clothing. how the man is rough but almost gentle with the first, how is almost always grunting or heavy breathing with the second. it is these things which are necessary to make such reduced film making work and here was a master film maker at work.

mesmerising for the entire length.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding!
cwilker1 December 2018
Excellent film. I kept waiting for it to go into a different direction but it never did. It took me places I did not expect. I waited for more at the end but it did not come. I wanted to rewrite the ending but how could you? I went to bed with it on my mind and woke up with it. It was mind-blowing. Outstanding!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually beautiful, but empty story.
HorrorFlickFanatic30 July 2018
When I watched the trailer, Leonardo DiCaprio's Revenant immediately came to my mind. This film cinematography is very much of similar quality that I couldn't help making visual comparisons.

Visually, it's a very beautiful film to watch. But, the screenplay was seriously lacking a good story. While the Revenant is a story about survival against the odds, Bajo la piel de lobo never really establishes a core theme. The story just seemed pointless. Had the second wife stayed with him and made a life with this mountain man, then we could establish the theme is about redemption, forgiveness, acceptance and being misunderstood. But because she doesn't, the film just falls off a sharp cliff into nowhere.

It's a shame because cinematography is masterful, but the screenplay makes it spiral down to earth. I give it a 6 out of 10 because of the great camera work. If I disregarded the cinematography, I might have given it a 2 or 3 out of 10
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acts of tenderness
cdel10101 March 2020
It is not accurate to call the main character a brute. Acts of tenderness: He spares the wolf who sneaks up on him to tell him that something is wrong at home. He caresses a small goat. He nurses his wife back to health. He helps his wife carry her bag up the mountain. He prepares breakfast for his wife when he learns that she is pregnant. He builds, not one but, two cribs. There are many more examples!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yawn fest in the mountains of boredom.
sadak759917 July 2018
An unfriendly and unpleasant guy lives in the wilderness hunting wolves. Sometimes he walks down to a valley in the mountains to sell furs and have extremely short and uninteresting conversations with other unfriendly and uninteresting people in a village. His lifestyle is in conflict with the relationship with his wife. That's all. The argument is a spoiler on itself.

Intentionally, the script does not provide any information or context about the characters. Even when the main character sells fur, the currency used is just "coins". Given the weapons used by the hunter, maybe is around 1920-1930. It does not matter, it just wanted to present an unespecified past without modern communications technology and modern regulation, and more available wild Nature.

The lack of real adventure, context or interesting characters wrecks the intention of the authors to show the dehumanization of the main character in the wild Nature. The result is a really boring movie, but with a very beautiful photography (that's why I gave it 4 out of 10)
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very powerful
dmarkova-3785231 January 2019
This movie was amazing. Great cinematography, amazing acting, and even the story, no matter how sad it was, was beautiful. Not every story has a happy ending. And this is the case here, but this is life...it's not a fantasy, people don't understand each other when there is no communication, and sometimes it's not easy to say what or how you feel. Mostly actions speak louder than words and this is the case here, but it is not understood. There is a lot of emotion in this movie, you just have to look close enough...
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recomendo
desiree-miranda29 July 2018
Fotografia excelente, atuação idem. Sucinto e belo
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Coarse Peasant Eats and Ruts ...
mrvanin21 July 2018
... like a free-range boar, except that he possesses enough vocabulary to occasionally give his woman some basic commands.

The character is played to perfection, if the intention is to portray a dull, unimaginative oaf who has not grasped the elementary basics of cohabiting with even one other human being, aside from "mating" with her crudely and evidently, quite painfully, according to the reaction of the object of his short-spanned attention.

The story is predictable and uninteresting - and I found no merit in it at all. The actors did everything that the director apparently wanted, so they cannot be faulted. I was unable to find any redeeming features other than the filming location - but that is not sufficient to earn more than one star. In my book, that rates it as unwatchable.
15 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's the point?
horizon200816 July 2018
It's hard to understand what the director was going for with this film. At the beginning you spend a lot of time with the lead character as he tries to survive the hardships of living a solitary life up in an abandoned village at the top of a mountain, but even from the off the guy is pretty horrible and quite disgusting and you just can't bring yourself to have any sympathy for him. When he was eating I continually felt my stomach heave as pigs in a sty make less noise eating than he did, and when he was working he made this animalistic wheeze which was also quite sickening. When he eventually decides to take a woman, and I mean take a woman, from the village down the mountain, things don't work out so well and from here I just wanted someone to gut the horrible oaf and be done with it. I won't even go into the sex scenes which were clearly more of a rape than anything humanistic. Maybe this is how men are expected to be seen in Spain, like macho neanderthal cavemen, I really dont know, or maybe it was just bad film making where the director didn't know how to add some balance so we could at least see some likeability in his main man, but no, the guy was hateful, unlikeable, and I felt no connection with him whatsoever. The movie was kinda dull after a while too I must say.
21 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually pleasing, narratively barren
bronwynbirkholz1 October 2018
While musically and visually pleasing, this movie is absolutely built on a bare bones story that leaves one craving something more. You get moments of beautiful serene scenery, but you get moments of watching the man eating and other scenes that just feel too long. You have to wonder where the director wanted it to go. You go through the movie and evolve absolutely no strong feelings besides maybe disgust for the main character, and you want the wives to succeed and escape him. I would love to say that there was more to this film, but it just doesn't seem to deep. It's a lonely gross man doing gross things to women. This one is worth a skip.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pyrenees Trapper in Search of Mate
Raven-196919 August 2018
In some places you learn to survive without realizing it. The Pyrenees in the late1800s is such a place. Survival in this mountain wilderness demands constant focus and attention. Martinon, a brutish and solitary trapper, only comes into town to trade furs for supplies. In his latest run Martinon nonchalantly adds, as he would a sack of potatoes, a woman to the list. At least one of the pair is in for a rude awakening.

Mario Casas (Martinon) is something of a Spanish Mark Wahlberg. Since he appeared at the same Miami Film Festival screening I was at, I almost suffocated in the accompanying tide of estrogen! It is wonderful to behold the beauty of the Pyrenees scenery, waterfalls and changing seasons. The minimal dialogue of the film is fine, but this loss of conversational depth was not compensated for in other areas.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.