The drama-comedy tells the story of Setsuko Kawashima (Terajima), a lonely, chain-smoking office lady in Tokyo who is past her prime. After deciding to take an English class, she discovers a new identity in her American alter ego, 'Lucy,' and falls for her instructor, John (Hartnett). When John suddenly disappears, Setsuko earnestly sets out on a quest to find him, eventually leading her to the outskirts of Southern California.Written by
1. An English instructor w/no understanding of Japanese is teaching only in English - sure. The phonetics, grammatical rules, sentence structure, alphabet, inflections, and so on are way different. And, Japanese student picks up meaning and repeats in English immediately.
2. Throughout the movie the non-English speaking Japanese spontaneously understands & create English sentences. Super quick learner!
3. Japanese peoples generally portrayed as selfish, self-centered.
4. Girl jumps off 100' cliff onto ocean rocks & is face down in water for many hours. Yet, she still is alive w/only bruises. Must be very hard to die in Japan!
5. Older American portrayed as cheating & trying to pervert young Japanese female. Stereotype now created.
1. They did get the avoidance of contact & aggressive displays correct.
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?
| Report this