Lost in London (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

A crazy project flawlessly executed.
mrwhite00020 January 2017
If you have any basic knowledge of film making, acting, lighting, sound engineering and broadcasting, after watching this film you might agree it was an incredible achievement given the limited budget and schedule and all the obstacles and circumstances in which it was put together. When judging all the elements in the film, but particularly acting, it is fair to consider the EXTREME emotional and physical endurance all the actors and crew needed in order to materialize this (crazy) project, specially Woody who also served as director and, as he later explained during the QA session at the end of the movie, couldn't stop thinking about all the details while the camera was rolling. Remember, this movie was broadcast LIVE in one camera shot with no opportunity for screwing up, with the constant threat of technical glitches in sound (150 microphones) and video streaming, bad timing of actors and scenes, falls (the cameraman was running up and down staircases and other obstacles) and even bad weather, given that in London it can rain at any time and great part of the movie was shot outdoors. If you factor all these elements in, then Woody's performance was Academy Award ( or Tony? or both? ) winner. So for this reason, I am giving this movie a solid 10. What Woody and the rest of the crew have achieved is short of impossible. The plot and dialogues were good and entertaining, not a deep and thoughtful story, just a fun and silly comedy based on Woody's mostly-true recount of an awkward night in London. If you didn't have the opportunity to watch it live and would like to watch it now, please do so with an open mind and remember, this was an experimental project with incredible odds of not going well at all, and yet somehow it did!.
91 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fine technical achievement let down by a so-so story
eddie_baggins29 November 2020
Premiering via a live broadcast as it happened/was filmed way back in 2017, Woody Harrelson's ambitious directional debut Lost in London is now available to rent through YouTube here in Australia and deciding whether or not its worth your time will depend purely on what you are watching it for, for as a narrative film this is a film lacking in much goodness but as a unique experience and technical feat its highly commendable.

Based in parts around Harrelson's own experiences in the early 2000's, Lost sees the well-liked actor facing pressure in his personal life after a series of wrong decisions leads him to be appearing in tabloid publications across the nation and battling to ensure he doesn't lose all he holds dear in his life.

Filmed astoundingly in one take by Harrelson's D.O.P Nigel Willoughby and at the time screened live as it was being shot, with Harrelson looking to merge the cinematic and theatrical in a combined package, Lost constantly impresses as you witness the craft and care that must have gone into getting the film to a reality but you can't help but feel the very bare bones story and only mildly funny material at hand needed some more refinement to make Lost a truly well-rounded feature.

Always likable, Harrelson is his typically game self and has a lot of fun bantering with the likes of Owen Wilson and singing Cheers theme songs to confused security guards on his way around London this fateful night but the core storyline and delivery of some supposedly comedic moments like a U2 loving cop or an Arabian prince whose a big fan of Woody's never really gel together and you get a feeling that if the film had been delivered in a typical production sense jokes would've landed smoother and more time could've been given to areas that would've smoothed the boring components of the film out.

As it stands, Lost is an impressive feat in so many ways and its great to see the likes of Harrelson jump behind the camera and try for something special straight off the bat but Lost is only ever moderately entertaining as its generic and so-so story goes through the motions.

Final Say -

A must-watch for Woody fans and a nice novelty feature in conception and delivery, Lost in London is let down by mid-tier material and a mostly unengaging plot.

2 1/2 Bono phone calls out of 5
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Astounding! First rate comedy!
BaiNst19 January 2017
If you can imagine BIRDMAN done as a CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM "bearing and rending of Ego"...you've got a good understanding of what to expect from LOST IN London. Absolutely amazing, and it's really hard to believe they pulled it off in a single take...LIVE. If I hadn't stayed for the Q'n'A afterwards, I'd still have my doubts...it was that impressive of a feat.

It would be difficult to ruin the plot, as it's mostly an excuse to follow Woody through one entertaining night of fumbling...I really hope this will be available as a recorded purchase, so that I can revisit it, and have a closer look at the artistry of it. The acting is superb, the camera work is as good as anyone could do (and better than most!), and the cinematography was spot on.

The biggest possible flaw a project like this may suffer from (as with any project, even) is a flinching, uninsightful, uninspired, and semi- conscious delving into the ego of the writer/director/actor. Harrelson avoids these pitfalls, and handles it like a master. From his acting over the course of his career, there's always been a hint of brilliance beneath...but it's always tough to tell in a truly great actor where the acting ends and real person begins. He handles this roll (admittedly one with which he should be very familiar and had lots of practice) with an honesty and depth of character that shows he's been through it and come out the other side wiser for it...unless it's all an act.

Hard to tell, but a damn fine yarn, and funny as hell. I'm honored to have borne witness, and really hope to see it again, soon.
37 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Films must innovate
bastiankoh9 August 2018
Woody made a fantastic accomplishment with this movie. Even though we scrape the story from the surface, we are able to submerge into the protagonist life and experience some of his emotions. They way it was filmed makes you feel present in the screen, and as an expectator, a succession of events contained in this kind of chronological order can make you lose your attention. However, I believe is part of the narrative itself.

Fantastic and innovate work!
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an eventful night out!
mikkocase20 January 2017
What a great technical achievement this film was. One camera. One shot. Great sound (mostly). Fantastic theatrical performances throughout. Considering it was way past my bed time, I never once took my eyes off the screen, just watching in disbelief that this was all actually happening NOW in and about the London streets outside this cinema, in the very early hours of a cold Friday morning. There were some laugh out loud parts. Some rather black moments. And some cringe- worthy. But all good entertainment. Unless the cast hadn't pointed out a few problems in the Q&A afterwards I wouldn't have noticed them. As a live event it was spectacular. We'll just have to wait and see how it stands up as a film in its own right.
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny, surprising,
paulm-0283829 September 2017
Watched Lost in London last night, lots of laughter in the cinema and positive chat afterwards. Unique not just for the technicalities involved but also the macabre peek of honesty.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie with that car crash type of comedy, you dare not look away from the screen, you may miss Woddy plunge to yet another depth. Oh my do you end up feeling for the poor man.

There are several points during the film that are gut wrenching laugh out loud, go watch it if you get the.chance.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tried to like it... Definitely not a great film
peruhealing30 May 2018
I didn't know this was a "one shot" live movie. For what it is, it's well executed and deserving of praise, however, it falls short if you expect it to stand its own ground. Maybe if we were rating single take live films, this could be an 8,9 or 10.

The dialogue is painfully intense, there is hardly any space to breathe. Camera is shaky, sometimes blurry... Some of the jokes are witty but they are few and far in between. Also you cannot really laugh as you are trying to understand what the heck is going on and what everyone is talking about. The British accents don't help. Overall interesting try but dont be fooled by the positive reviews, this will eventually become a 5 start movie on IMDB
33 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a great film, but.....
byron-11630 May 2018
I selected to watch Lost in London because of my two favorite actors (Woody Harrelson and Owen Wilson) and also because IMDb labeled it as a comedy. It's a great film, but why misrepresent it as a comedy? It's a slow moving drama that absorbs the viewer due the great performances of Woody Harrelson and Owen Wilson and the very good supporting cast. Lost in London is a rare great film.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My first review on here.
john-b-hale27 May 2018
I'm not even going to put any spoilers in here because there is none. I can only imagine these are fake reviews or something. It's not funny at all. Its depressing. I want my two hours back.
35 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unexpectedly great
danielle-walker-120 January 2017
Even after watching the Q and A for the film I still can't figure out why someone would have their directorial debut be the most challenging project I can imagine undertaking. Even without the single shot, live elements, the film is written and performed hilariously. I had more laugh out loud moments in the theater with this film than I can remember in recent history. After the film, the cast and crew presented a Q and A that really makes you feel like you are part of the process, which I guess we were. Willie Nelson was a surreal fantasy for both Woody and the audience. Owen Wilson was a great as usual and the self deprecating humor Woody Nelson threw in about his career as well as Wilsons, was lovingly harsh and very funny. There were some inconsistencies with the cultural and film references being post 2002 when the film supposedly takes place, but they didn't really place it in that time period until the end of the film so it wasn't distracting or obvious and didn't detract. It was fantastic as an experience and was a genuinely delightful film.
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An experiemental film shot live and streamed was an achievement. An okay drama, but less of a quality film in it's own right
vampire_hounddog21 October 2020
Woody Harrelson comes off the stage in another mediocre London West End theatre production. Over the course of the evening his marriage to his wife (Eleanor Satsuura) breaks down due to an indisctrion which makes its way to the front page of a tabloid, but after an apparent fight with friend Owen Wilson he leaves a nightclub and gets into an altercation with a taxi driver that lands him in jail.

A piece of experiemental cinema whereby the film was shot in real time and streamed to a live cinema audience in the USA and then the UK on the 19th January 2017. The idea is incredibly bold and well executed with some aspects of the film working very well, others less so. Modern technology and smaller GoPro type cameras have allowed for this type of film to be executed, but it is also well choreographed. For this alone, Harrelson should be praised.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh...You Know What I Mean? Not Even With A Capital M, Just meh....
PurpleCrayon201427 May 2018
If this were viewed Live, my reaction might be a little different. This is a single camera project that is nothing new to anything genre, and although the imagery flowed there were a few awkward moments with the characters. I kept expecting James Corden to pop up to do a Carpool Karaoke scene-actually, this film could have been condensed into a James Corden Carpool Karaoke video.
15 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
loxford-5399923 December 2019
The cast were fine but I saw nothing comedic in this movie whatsoever. Other reviewers thought it hilarious. I'm afraid I just found Harrelson's character sad, that's how he remained throughout the movie. Sad and somewhat pathetic. I love Woody Harrelson. He delivered himself as he does so well, an ironic character, well meaning but selfishly damaging those around him. Funny? Hardly.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1 hour and 44 minutes I'll never get back
jlynn-5220222 August 2018
I did not find it funny, I found it difficult to keep up with. It was just plain stupid. Woody has done better films than this. I am so glad I didn't have to pay for the loss of 1 hour and 44 minutes of my life.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perhaps with enough feathers you can fly.
corey-7019 January 2017
This is a new and different type of film from what we Americans are used to. The acting was very good - I would not be surprised if some of the 'nobody' actors end up in larger Hollywood roles soon. From a technical perspective it was simply amazing... just one camera follows along on one shoot for 1.5+ hours with 25+ audio techs managing 150+ microphones and cast of 300+ plus people. I wish I had a friend like Owen. Willy Nelson's scene was the highlight for me musically as well as the vibe of that scene. There was other good music so I'd like to see the soundtrack overview. (I stayed afterwards with 12 people who paid $15 each for the after-film Q&A to learn additional details, some of which were worthwhile) If this is released in a non-live version I'd recommend this being offered with technical notes and an interview of Mrs Harrelson... Good job Woody but I would have liked to see you jump off any bridge in London given for reasons that I can't say without spoilers!
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good directorial debut from Woody Harrelson
deloudelouvain20 July 2018
After reading some reviews I can see there are alot of mixed feelings about Lost In London, or you like or you don't like it at all. I'm glad to say I did like it. I liked it how the story was brought, with one camera shooting, with following Woody throughout the whole movie and to watch how his bizarre journey passes by. I get that not everybody has the same sense of humor so I do get that some people didn't thought it was funny, but I thought there were enough funny dialogues and moments to keep me entertained. I also do like Woody Harrelson as an actor so that made it probably easier for me to enjoy. For his directorial debut I think he did a good job. Lost in London was to me the perfect mix of drama and comedy, with the actors playing themselves. That was a good idea and made it a bit more special than the average movie.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly boring
muamba_eats_toast28 August 2019
I love woody and admire the ambition but this was just so incredibly dull and boring didn't make me laugh once despite being a supposed comedy.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All credit to the cameraman.
Screenrights20 June 2018
A lost opportunity to make a great family film / commercial success. The dialogue is crass, demeaning and vulgar. PG in the UK; uncategorized in the US. Perhaps I'll strap a GoPro to my head, go for a walk et voila !
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chaotic nonsense
29FEB2020 {1/10 stars F} Recommend? No; Lame movie based on true events. Movie is full of meaningless conversations, arguments and other stuff that Woody does over the course of a night.

CONTENT ADVISORY: Sh't, f-word, Jesus said as expletive, tabloid article about Woody cheating on his wife, Arab man says something about blowing up his brains and that every man should have three wives, alcohol shown in Arab nightclub, Woody "assaults" Owen Wilson in a fight giving him a bloody nose, Woody vomits on a woman twice.

Woody assaults, and is assaulted by, a man in a wheelchair. Woody damaging a cab, Woody hiding and running from the police, Woody swallows part of a marijuana joint in front of a jail guard while being booked into jail, jail guard finds a feather on Woody and asks Woody if the feather is to tickle his balls, Woody sarcastically says he buttf'k'd Tony Blair.

{1=F 2=D- 3=D 4=C- 5=C 6=B- 7=B 8=A- 9=A 10=A+}
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well worth the watch
didomenicosam22 April 2020
Just on effort alone and the fact that you probably will NEVER see a movie made like this. All in one continuous shot. This was a great story told in a way I never thought possible. Well done to all involved for hitting this one out of the park.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch
Gordon-1121 November 2019
This film tells the story of a Hollywood star who has an eventful night in London.

It is quite a funny film, with a lot of name checking of Woody Harrelson's film titles. A single camera shot is impressive, and I can only imagine how long the actors rehearsed the whole film before they shot it. It is also quite amazing to have quite a bit of support from the London police as well. I think it is quite worth a watch.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop Shaking the camera!!!
hcharton-944-47576127 June 2021
Just because you have one camera, why does it need to shake and spin around all the time? This is distracting and dizzying. Really some of the worst camera work I have ever seen. It just moves around constantly for no reason at all. Woody is great. Idea is funny, although another rehash of how hard it is to be a narcissistic movie star is a rather played out plot line.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lost in London
henry8-324 February 2021
Harrelson directs and stars in this experimental film where the whole thing was shot live in one night and screened into cinemas. The story, such as it is, features Harrelson playing 'himself' falling out with his wife and get into various mishaps as he tries to get back to her.

As a film, it's pretty slight, although Harrelson is very good as the witty, lost, selfish and naive film star lost in the big city. There are some fun scenes and some dull bits - Harrelson's row with Owen Wilson where they rip each other's films apart is wonderful. All this though takes a back seat to appreciating the quite incredible skills in pulling this together, as far as I can tell, without a mistake, whilst keeping pace and solid performances going.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Filming was the only good thing!
lisanwb30 June 2019
This being filmed live was the only impressive thing about this film Though I didn't even watch it till the end. How people find this funny is hard to believe. Cringe worthy is more like. Don't waste your time watching this. Suck a shame the story and acting couldn't live up to technical side
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exhausting to watch
emil-wisekal29 May 2018
The comedy was in short supply in this movie. I wanted it to get funnier throughout the dramatic sequences. I kept watching and waiting for it to become funny again. In fact the movie was more of a tragedy that revealed a redemption in the very end.

It was exhaustive because I convinced my wife to watch it and she would have never let me forget it if I made her sit through another bad movie.

She said she liked it. Shew!
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.