Outlaws (2017) Poster

(2017)

cringe worthy
darryljonparker27 March 2019
I was excited because it was filmed in my home town perth {at least partly} but 10 minutes in simone kessel was doing a bad katey sagall impersonation. it reminded me of so many kiwi gangster movies very unrealistic.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome highly character driven B-grade low budget Aussie flick
TheTopDawgCritic30 January 2019
Probably one of the best Aussie films displaying acting talent by all leads in this highly character driven B-grade low budget film. Matt Nable, Abbey Lee and Simone Kessell played their characters great, but the stand-out performance for me was Josh McConville as Knuck's brother.

Director Stephen McCallum did a fine job in his first full length feature film. Actor Matt Nable's 2nd writing credit was a great story (aside from a few minor plot issues), but the screenplay certainly needed some tweaking, but still well done for his 2nd attempt. The 92 min length was perfect and the pace was on point.

There certainly was room for improvement in this production, but for a low budget film, it showed really well, and held my attention throughout the entire film.

A well deserved 8/10 from me.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and predictable
justinwilson814 November 2018
It's like an Australian Sons of Anarchy, with the fun, wit and quality scriptwriting sucked out it and replaced with various dirty looking meatheads grunting at each other. Every character sticks to the stereotype and the ending is the predictable "crime doesn't pay", even though most of the movie is trying to present the opposite.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They broke the code
nogodnomasters3 February 2019
This is an Australian biker film. Mark, saves his dimwitted brother Adam and strikes a deal to launder his gang's dirty money with a rival gang. The problem is Mark is not in charge of the Copperheads. Knuck, who is in prison and soon to be released, is in charge. When he gets out, he undoes all the goodwill and plans that Mark has made, leading to internal conflict.

The bikers had a club where the pole dancers kept their clothes on and we never see them sell drugs or do anything to generate dirty money. Knuck is bisexual which didn't add anything to the film. PLOT SPOILER: Abbey Lee is the final girl. Weak plot.

Guide: F-word, sex, partial nudity.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lady MacBeth in Black Leather
michaeljtrubic21 September 2017
*Warning, made with real bikers*

Very interesting film from this 2017 Tiff

Nice to see adventurous material like this at the festival and especially nice to have the writer/star at the screenings.

One of the truly innovative films that was also very worthwhile seeing. Low budget but made in the hometowns of the filmmakers.

Very pretty girl Abbey Lee, formerly Victoria's Secret cover girl, steals the show as a biker chic propelling her man into leadership of the gang (hence lady MacBeth).

6 is an good rating when compared to the truly masterful films at 2017 Tiff - I don't give 10s.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyable biker film!
jessaitchison6 February 2019
Enjoyed this from start to finish! Another bloody good Aussie film! Realistic portrayal of the gang life. Good acting, good filming. Well directed. Good ending!
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1% is a fantastic showcase of Australian talent & a great feature debut for McCallum
BlurayAddictAU3 October 2018
Stephen McCallum's feature directorial debut 1% is a great showcase of Australian talent, following the vice president of a bikie club as he is forced to choose between his brother and allegiance to his superior.

1% is one of those films that puts you right into the midst of a situation with no exposition or information beforehand, we are shown and not told which in this case is executed perfectly as within minutes you can easily ascertain who these people are and what has transpired in the moments before the film begun.

The story is basic, but it's meant to be as the performances and direction carry the film, making it a real joy to watch even if you don't think you would necessarily be into a "bikie" film.

Ryan Corr plays the lead character who after being blackmailed by a rival gang is forced to try to convince his boss to make a deal. In my mind there are two stand out performances here, Matt Nable (who also penned the screenplay) gives a really meaty performance here as the President of the club, amplified by the fact he really bulked up for the role, we get perhaps a much deeper layered character than the usual "generic gang leader" in most films of this type. The other fantastic performance here would have to be Aaron Pederson who plays the leader of the rival bikie gang as an unstable utterly insane character, and is by far my favourite performance in this film even though he has a fairly limited screen time.

McCallum directs extremely well for a feature debut which when combined with some great editing provides great pacing and really kept me engaged for the whole time.

1% is a great example that a simple setup executed well can yield fantastic results with the right writer, director and cast, it is a quintessentially Australian film showcasing some great talent and for me this sits right up with Cargo as my second favourite Australian film of the year.

1% is in cinemas October 18th from Icon Films, who provided me with a screener for this review.
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Authentic Character driven Drama
bazza_mckenzie027 October 2018
Outstanding performances from The whole Cast. Matt Nable gives a powerhouse performance , and Ryan Corr and the rest of the cast deliver performances that you'll remember long after seeing it.

Matt Nable's script is one of the most authentic stories to give an accurate and close to real life of the 1 % outlaw motorcycle clubs.

This is a very impactful film worth seeing in the cinemas support Australian films and keep the hardworking and talented Actors and crew working.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stella Preformances
smkessell24 October 2018
Fantastic cast an epic ride, congrats to everyone that worked on this feature
1 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gritty and awesome
nickgash-671-77591320 May 2019
Strong 8 from me. Acting is excellent, great script etc. I normally shy away from Australian movies as I've found them to be overacted and boring. This is an exception, I went by the positive reviews - and am glad I did.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Pretty Decent Outlaw Bikers Movie
fredgfinklemeyer12 February 2019
02/12/2019 An enjoyable watch, however cliché the storyline which we all know beforehand from the movies we've watched in the past. It's no "Sons of Anarchy" which always leaves you wanting more, just a bunch of leather covered crackers riding loud two wheeled bulldozers. I'd rather ride my bigwheel. Good fun movie but a one time watch only. Bon Appetit
0 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Aussie biker flick
Chris_Mac_254 November 2018
Good Aussie movies are rare unless you like Arthouse rubbish or comedies that aren't funny.

This was a great yarn about a bikie club in a leadership crisis. Outstanding acting from the leafs and supporting cast. Nable is hulking menacing, Pedderson is awesome in a small but pivotal role
0 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.