The Banker (2020) Poster

(2020)

An Excellent Film Flooded With Spam Ratings
calvinyeh-7267821 March 2020
It was a powerful film and the actors did their part quite nicely. don't understand the low ratings on this.
60 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Black History
jennifertuwe22 March 2020
This was an amazing movie. I am still shocked at myself for not knowing about these men and how certain people and progressive actions are just written out of MY history.

These men were essentially ROBBED of everything they worked for and the crazy thing is I am sure after the 3 years in prison they successfully rebuilt their fortune in the Bahamas.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intresting story based on historical events (dont understand the 5.x rating)
farout-4566520 March 2020
Its really a unique story and even more so that it was based on historical events. The acting was not bad, it was a little corny at times but as i said the story really carries it. Whats strange is the 5.x rating. There are only a couple of bad reviewers and none of them explain adequately the low score.
36 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Story - Very enjoyable
cafc194720 March 2020
Really enjoyed watching this. A good story very well acted and directed.

The movie had a good pace and never felt rushed or laboured.

If you liked Green Book and Hidden Figures you will enjoy this.
41 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
kevenshade22 March 2020
I love this story. Actors were great, very important film for all to see
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must Watch- Yeah Really
richardchambers-0612322 March 2020
One of those films that has genuine history and a story that needs to be told. But when you tell the story you have to make it interesting enough to make you think I'm glad I saw it and at the same time entertaining enough to keep you interested. I'm pleased to say this ticks all the boxes. Samuel L Jackson is made for a role like this. Just watch it with an open mind and then judge. I don't give 10 out of 10 only on the basis that I've never seen a film that truly deserves it, I'm not sure when that'll be but when I see the film I'll give it hence 9 as it's that good in my opinion.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie, don't bash it because it came out on Apple TV+
Jtkt21 March 2020
This is a replay of The Morning Show. It got horrible ratings immediately before people even had a chance to watch it just because people love to hate Apple.

This was a superb movie with fantastic actors, excellent writing and beautiful cinematography. Jackson is fantastic as always but Mackie was powerful as well; the entire cast did a great job. The plot advances at a nice pace and there is a great mix of drama and comedy that keeps the momentum going. The social statement is built into the storyline without bludgeoning you over the head. This is a huge part of US history and it's a story that needed to be told, I say well done
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie and Great Story
belindar-222 March 2020
I gave this movie a 9 because there are not enough movies about minorities and the successes made in America. This was very well put together and Oscar worthy for the portrayal of the main characters. Both should be nominated for this movie. I am hoping there are more of this type to come
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good movie
zathan-3284820 March 2020
This was enjoyable... Supreme acting and very entertaining.

There should only be one thing upsetting you about this and that should be you remembering Nia Long from 1994 looking all hot and now the view will make you feel old....
31 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent!
Tsantoro-125 March 2020
I love seeing this type of genre pop up. We so desperately need to show our children this kind of American History. Where we were only 50 years ago, and how far we have come. The acting and storytelling was super enjoyable and one for the whole family to watch and discuss.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An honest review
TheTopDawgCritic21 March 2020
It's a shame to see all the fake 8, 9 and 10/10's, but it's also a shame to see such a low rating for this well put together biopic - considering it took five writers to put it together, and usually anything more than two writers becomes a disaster.

The two big issues for me was the slow pacing and long dragged out scenes, and Mackie's acting. The 120 min runtime felt like 3 hours. This film needed a faster pace and some cutting/editing to bring its runtime down to 90-100 mins. As for Mackie, his monotonic dialogue and bland persona was a disappointment. I'm not sure if he was playing the actual Bernard Garrett's personality, or if he was just bored. Either way, his character could've used some skip in his step. On the other hand, Samuel L. Jackson, as always, nailed his character. He was perfect for this role, and made this film that much more entertaining. All other casting and performances were on point.

The cinematography, score and timely 60's sets and wardrobe were excellent. This biopic's story/screenplay was actually very well put together, and had a nice flow in the way it was told. However, it was a little weighed down, and could've used some OMG moments.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it more that expected, and it's certainly undeserving of the current low rating. It's a solid and well deserved 9/10 from me. To see more of my 1000+ ratings and 800+ reviews, click on my username.
27 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable movie to watch
wilbertwwest21 March 2020
I am glad that I was able to learn about the story of Bernard Garrett and Joe Morris. This movie was enjoyable to watch and Samuel Jackson and Anthony Mackie are excellent together in this film. Of course it is upsetting to watch the racism of that period continually roadblock and take from Garrett and Morris but, it was much more enjoyable watching their accomplishments. History its what it is...it can't be erased.
19 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film for entrepreneurs and anyone else!
reggohall27 March 2020
I enjoyed this movie a lot. My wife and I watched it together and gained so much knowledge and inspiration as entrepreneurs. We are definitely going to watch it again. This is a great reason to get Apple's streaming service!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
Great story and very well-balanced presentation of the events.

Great acting and adaptation on the period of the actual events.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very good movie about real events
edjas23 March 2020
Very good movie about true events in the 50s and 60s. while it showcases the racism of the period it shows that resourceful people can still succeed no matter what color. acting was fine esp Jackson who stole every scene he was in being so charismatic. it seems that every reviewer that i read didn t understand the movie. perhaps the movie producer wanted it that way. all three protagonists were guilty of bank fraud. perhaps they didnt understand the law? or they just were greedy? a 187k commission on a 971k loan!!! all three should have gone to jail but one got an immunity deal and took it.but he transferred money to the other two so for three years in jail they got homes in the Bahamas.not a bad deal. that also was illegal. still a very good watch.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Appletv+ is winning
fishseay323 March 2020
Wasn't sure if this movie would keep me involved, but I was wrong. Very well acted, nicely directed and historically interesting. I was "invested" in the banker in the first five minutes. Apple is putting some of the best product out in its streaming service and this no exception. Great movie!
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
reveals the seamy side of banking regulators
Outstanding performance by Samuel L. Jackson and well written insight into the banking regulators EVEN today. Valuations (READ: classification of loans based on "probability of collection") exists as late as 2013 when I was a banker. An examiner with a vendetta can devalue a portfolio to arrive at any solvency computation they want. The movie did an excellent job exposing this strategy
23 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting, Well Acted with a Black Pygmalion Twist
tm-sheehan21 March 2020
My Review- The Banker My rating 9:10 on Apple TV This very interesting clever film based on true events In the 1960s when two African-American entrepreneurs hire a working-class white man to pretend to be the head of their business empire while they pose as a janitor and chauffeur. Anthony Mackie is impressive as Bernard Garrett a maths genius and property entrepreneur who can't get a foot in the door of the White real estate market due to racial intolerance and inequality. Bernard joins forces with a wealthy black womaniser but clever investor and general scoundrel Joe Morris (Samuel L Jackson ) The partnership of Black Brains and Black Wealth needs a White Knight to make their venture into Real Estate successful, a front man to pose as the buyer which eventually will lead to allow home ownership and the first Black Bank to assist the African American Community improve their lives and security. Nicholas Hoult as Matt Steiner the White Knight gives the best performance I've seen him in since Harley in The Favourite. His character is the Pygmalion or Eliza Doolittle of the movie a rough but intelligent diamond whose groomed and polished up by Bernard and Joe ( Henry Higgins & Colonel Pickering ) if you get my drift. Matt is taught advanced maths and style by Bernard and golf and guile by Joe who play their part of the charade by having to pose as a janitor and chauffeur to keep their cover from the White FBI investigation in to their banking activities. This leads to a conclusion that convinces me that while Australia has a bad record with race inequality America's racial inequality history has Trumped (excuse pun) us in many areas. George Nolfi Director who wrote The Bourne Ultimatum and directed The Adjustment Bureau 2011 has made an excellent film . I will look forward to seeing The Banker on a Cinema screen eventually when it's safe to venture into a Cinema again.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I must see Movie
nlnrego21 March 2020
Great movie with the right actors to tell this true story. you won't regret see this.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From a Coloured South African
biancagulston22 March 2020
I've seen many American films relating to issues of race and coming from South Africa it always hits home.This film awesome except no businesses person should go any agreement withouta signed contract or nda even if its on a serviette aka napkin. I can conclude thatthis film is personal well written and well played and therefore you guy's are the most experienced actors we have seen on our tv's thanks for keeping it real. Hosh en Awe Ma se kinders. Bianca from South African Homie
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
jcbradsher-4604321 March 2020
I don't understand why people rated this movie so low. I enjoyed the film. It was well worth the time. One of the beat movies released on Apple TV+ so far..
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't imagine such a situation in the States
handilankots20 March 2020
I could never imagine the hardships of black people at that time. In Estonia we just don't have them. But we were the inferior race to communist russians, so some resemblance. Good acting, interesting and gripping story. And most of all - no homosexualist agenda as usually almost in every Hollywood movie. Nice, I like it.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing work!
danielrios-3039825 March 2020
This movie talks on topics that are currently affecting us while being based on events that happened a long time ago. The characters in the movie are powerful and are very well developed.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film that potrays social discrimination
metallicasster25 March 2020
A powerful message from the movie about how much racial discrimination prevailed even with rich black people owning properties. Samuel's jokes over and over again makes it even more interesting
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edutainment at its finest!
broadlightmedia24 March 2020
Apple did a great job with this production from having an amazing cast, a story that flows and stays true to the historical facts it was inspired by. Well done.