Ruben Brandt, Collector (2018) Poster

interesting animation
SnoopyStyle30 June 2019
It's 2012 Paris. Cat burglar Mimi steals Cleopatra's fan. The original target is the Regent Diamond but she gets distracted by the fan. Her employer is not happy. She contacts famed art therapist Ruben Brandt who is treating a group of troubled criminals. She recruits the group to steal with her. Meanwhile, Ruben is being haunted by art-based nightmares. He asks Mimi to steal the 13 art works that are haunting him.

The animation style is modern art. I'm sure more sophisticated eyes would recognize the style and name the influences. The art works being shown are beyond my education. It doesn't diminish my admiration. It's compelling. I do wish the story has more energy to it. I would have concentrated on one art work and make this more a caper movie. The different skills of the group suggest that is in play but it doesn't make it a priority. I really like the style and I would like more from the story.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love it !
Kirpianuscus9 November 2019
I tis almost risky to say why I love it. Maybe, because it gives to the viewer the feeling to be part of the story. Maybe for generous cultural references and for the courageous perspective about childhood experiences. Maybe for the lovely end and for the portrait of a special relation between a medic and his patiets. For the paintings, off course, for splendid - provocative- seductive Mia and, not the last, for the great Ruben Brandt. And for the imagination strong expressions. A film like a personal adventure and experience. Great, provocative, fresh scene by scene. So, I love it ! And that remains the only significant thing to say about it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too Much!
westsideschl23 June 2019
So what would an animated film put together by Picasso, Dali, Cubists, the Dadaists & lovers of classic rock, r&b music (note: music to fit scenes); art, and film look like your ask? OK, you probably wouldn't. Tucked away in this film is all the above so be prepared to rewind to capture an overload of those fast moving glimpses. Plot: A psychoanalyst, Ruben Brandt (name is a combo of famous artists) enlists the help of some patients to steal 13 famous paintings that have haunted his nightmares ever since his father subliminally placed their images in his young growing brain. Scenes: The Tale of Little Red Riding Hood was hypnotizing; Disney's The Little Mermaid (Sea Witch); Pacific 231(PCFC 231) a classic steam locomotive & music. Paintings: Edward Hopper (Nighthawks); Botticelli (Venus); Velazquez; Magritte; Picasso; Gauguin; Manet (Olympia); Bazille (Portrait of Renoir); Duveneck (The Whistling Boy); Warhol (Double Elvis).
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MAMI Review: Ruben Brandt, Collector (6 Stars)
nairtejas28 October 2018
It is obvious that director Milorad Krstic likes to pay extra attention to details, loves animating the underside of cars, locomotives, and motorcycles, and has a weird penchant for absurdity for his Ruben Brandt, Collector would not have been a mixture of all these things and some more. Narrating the ingenious story of a loner psychotherapist who involuntarily hires a group of four criminals to steal popular paintings from around the world so that he can finally stop having those ugly nightmares that ARE about those paintings, director Krstic starts his animated drama with bang, bang, and nothing but bang. It starts at something and frequently digresses to a frame or a character that has absolutely no relation to the main plot, and that is exactly how the film pulls you in. With beautiful, beautiful things to look at and pop culture references about everything from Radiohead's "Creep" to Francis Ford Coppola's gangster epic The Godfather (1972) to Edward Hopper's 1942 painting Nighthawks, Rubern Brandt, Collector is a whirlpool of random events, dark comedy, and quotable general moments that you will find yourself so immersed in that you will stop having issues with how the characters look. Absurd, abnormal, and abominable - it is from these three elements that director Krstic churns out this epic adventure of a film, which, despite its overlong and ridiculous story arcs, makes for a great watch, at least from a perspective where it improves your pop culture knowledge by some great extent. It is nothing like you have seen in the animation or non-animation territory before. But don't take your kids along. TN.

(Watched and reviewed at its India premiere at the 20th MAMI Mumbai Film Festival.)
14 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like R rated animation, but this one need to avoid it! Trust me!
kwenchow24 April 2019
The movie start quite good actually, some chasing scene! But not intense at all! After that the movie bored to death, because the director keep showing not necessary nude picture at the background, really make me vomit! Really pathetic! Maybe the director think ugly is art! I don't think so! And I reckon the director aiming the type of audience love ugly things but not me! And you definitely can skip to the very end because here a big spoiler, all the event occur just the imagination of the main character! You definitely don't need your brain to watch this film! Just skip this film and go to sleep! Lol!
5 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surrealist...
yusufpiskin17 March 2021
An incredible, mesmerisingly captivating & fun movie, Ruben Brandt, Collector has this charming tone presented within its smooth transitions. Abstract animation in a movie about paintings works so well and really adds to this amazing thriller. It's not every animated arthouse film that opens with a breathless 10-minute chase scene that rivals the best of what live action has to offer and visually references everything from Speed to The Matrix to Jason Bourne to James Bond to Michael Bay. This is a statement of intent to the audience - that this is the rare cerebral, surrealist film, one with a lot to say about about art and how we consume it and how we use that consumption, that's also interested in being a blast to watch.

Into the Spider-Verse is one of the best films of the last decade, and the impact of its innovative visual style will (deservedly) be felt for years to come. But this film, which was quietly dropped in the same timeframe, deserves to be in that same discussion. It's an aesthetic that clearly draws from the abstract works of all mediums across the last century yet is wholly its own.

It's a story I've never heard before, in a style I've never seen before. Like a Great Film is supposed to be. Go see it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The confusion of sight and hearing is chic and erect.
zzhhhqing30 March 2020
Literary carnival movie! The confusion of sight and hearing is chic and erect. With all of this in mind, why bother trying to force a story? It's enough to just remember that the one who keeps us dreaming and struggling to resist is always our own.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mesmerizing
cgearheart20 March 2019
I was a little sleepy during the middle of the film but I thoroughly enjoyed it in all its entirety. It's rare to see an art film blend surrealism and artistic flare so well with Hollywood style action and dynamically awesome characters.

A
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surreal but also simplistic Warning: Spoilers
Upon seeing that this was playing at the Music Box, I had enough curiosity to go view it with my father. I was totally unprepared for what I was about to watch.

The story is apparently attempting to be very stylish as to fit with its artsy theme, and it does deliver quite a bit on its action and development of its devices. From Ruben's relationship with each painting to the paintings themselves, it does play into the titular character's insanity quite well. At the end of the day, though, I really felt like something big was missing from it. As for the characters, Ruben experiences virtually all the strange things in this movie as part of his psychiatric journey into personal exorcism, the main focus of the plot. We have his henchmen (including Mimi), who provide great action and sometimes humor but are relatively hollow otherwise. They happen to be the principal characters, and the others aren't really worth mentioning as to not spoil your experience with this movie. Easily the best aspect of this movie is its animation; the unique design for its characters and the twists it employs on real art really do bring out Milorad's intent to make this movie as surreal as possible. The character animation makes the action engaging and makes it seem like there are legitimate stakes. The backgrounds capture the necessary feel of each location, from the calm of art museums to the secluded alleys of Paris.

This is a bewildering film, but it's not for families on account of its violence, language, and nudity. For those who love art, this movie will probably be one you would enjoy, but I wouldn't be surprised if you left with some level of disappointment. I really felt, again, like something big was missing from it. So while I don't think this movie is overall even close to bad, I wouldn't recommend it to the common film viewer.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good start, but...
Irena_Spa26 February 2019
It was a very good and attractive start, then it moved us to a boring middle of something after which we started rhythmically to fall down through one spiral to the end, which did not tell us what a conclusion of the story is. Interesting is the choice and combination of the songs and thanks to Tibor Cári's music, it gives us enjoying in the art. :)
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cui_yinglan27 April 2019
Art makes life beautiful, conquer darkness and gives hope. What a movie. I love the storyline, love the music, love the scenes. Great movie, highly recommend.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Snob Bait!
lbenot6 March 2019
Simplistic, stupid, and un-entertaining story line (unless you're stoned) acted out by Inventive animated characters with extra eyes, faces, mouths, and an endless variety of Picasso-ish/cubism-ish head configurations, most notable in the brief crowd scene. The cars, machinery and backgrounds were creatively well done, and offered the only redeeming entertaining value (1 star worth) to an otherwise total waste of admission price and time. The whole nonsensical mess, including the reoccurring appearance of the snail and butterfly, will most certainly provide grist for those very special few who can also hear a secret coded message when playing a Beatle record backwards.
13 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stylish film that abounds in reference to the artsy world
HLX19922 May 2019
I was literally fascinated by the unique style of this film. However, without a deep knowledge of Western art history and connoisseurship of renouned paintings, I doubt that quite a few meaningful details were neglected while I was watching it. The entire picture was so engrossing that I was glued to the seat from start to end, in fear of missing any scene in it. It is at the same time humourous and significative.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Patience and a pause button
cesspit-5350514 May 2019
Nothing can really do justice within the normal vocabulary to describe this in any constructive way. Just watch it and marvel at what is possible within animation, and how a story can be told without a single moment wasted in dullness. There is really no beginning, no ending and no middle, the structure is left completely open and without any real story telling, just moments unfolding for a period in time and then closing credits when they should not really be. This can be watched again and again, and always something else appears as if put there , when last time it was hidden. Some language here and there, but not too offensive. I think that aside, even a child could possibly be captured by the weirdness of every scene and complete randomness of the persons features. Go watch it and come back and tell us all what you think.....
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poetic, too good to be true
jethronom11 December 2019
I'm personally fan of Hayao Miyazake and I had some doubts about this movie. I thought "they can never do an animation as Miyazake did".

But I was wrong.

Soundtracks, artwork and everything was in order. 93 minutes of joy.

I loved it.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
excellent work
elmasbasakgoren28 January 2020
As we begin to watch the film, we think the film is about independent subjects. We might even think that the only connection is in the same world. but later on, the film connects these two subjects in a very nice way, and we can see that, combined with the aesthetics of the film, it's a tremendous job. In addition, the end of the film is left to the viewer to want to finish the film. The first alternative is that Ruben gets rid of all his fears when he gets them, and the last thing he fears is the shaking of the hyphen. He reads his art book in peace. The second alternative is that Ruben actually falls asleep reading the art book and has a long dream about what he saw in the art book and wakes up. In short, it was all a dream.

The thing when we heard at the beginning of the film "In my dream I was two cats and I was playing with each other" is actually a summary of the movie.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting one
igeorge198227 January 2019
Not bad. Don't get the end. The visuals and effects were great, however.
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
reference heavy
huck-98 January 2020
A heavy stream of well-placed design, art, music, and modern cultural references. its not the fault of this highly original movie for those incapable of grasping and enjoying them. am thankful some part of my life exists outside of STEM.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best anime ever made
ccrc2811 August 2019
Amazing movie with so beautiful graphic art, original style, every character in an unique art design and temper. Very interesting roles full of sarcasm. Quite hectic movie, never boring a minute. Astounding soundtracks and sound environment. I´ll watch this movie again very soon.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing mess
tszula12 April 2019
The story is uninteresting and also a chaos. The design is very artistic and nice as well as the animation. However the characters look ugly in my opinion. No caharactesr to like or get connected. Actually if somebody is into computer games not even the graphics are so extraordinary. Too many boring, too long action scenes. All together a mess. Disappointing.
15 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is like a unicorn. Have a look at it, appreciate it, then let it go.
evi_markopoulou7 November 2020
This is one of the most original films I've ever seen. If you're into the arts and want to feel inspired I definitely recommend it. The animation and style are unique, and each character is literally a piece of art. The idea behind the plot is extremely interesting as well. However I think that the execution of that idea has some downsides. One of them is the rhythm and the chaotic storyline which is too surreal to follow sometimes, similar to the general film style. I found myself lost at times, which isn't necessarily bad but it's a bit frustrating for a 90 minute long film. Also, it seems to me that this is an "Art for the art" piece of work. In other words, the film doesn't really bother itself with the rules of mainstream cinematography, as it exists simply because it has to, as an homage to all the great masterpieces featured. All in all, i probably wouldn't watch it again but I'm definitely happy I came across it because this film is like a unicorn. Have a look at it, appreciate it, then let it go.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The closest example to perfection
One of the best films that I have watched so far. It is almost perfect. I feel that there are some people that will not understand the movie (from some comments that I've red in IMDB), but I believe that every aspect of the film was insanely carefully designed. The plot, the characters, editing and music everything is in balance and simply flawless.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unique experience.
dan-ilya14 April 2019
I don't like modernism / avant-grade animation, but surprisingly I liked this one. It was both simple and complex. The story is basic but not disappointing. It has many Communism / Socialism links that will probably be understood only by people who lived in USSR and related countries at that era. Overall it was fresh and unique experience.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually stunning, surreal, with a beautiful plot
helenaki283 January 2020
First of all, the animation is beautiful. The whole movie has a very aesthetically pleasing vibe. Each frame has so many interesting and purposeful details, that it is just amazing to watch. The entire film feels like a dream sequence, humorously playing with art, emotion and the subconscious. But the genius part is that despite the surrealism and the absurdity, there is still a tangable plot which is easy to follow, the story is suspenseful and the characters very unique
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Surprise - one of the best movies I've seen in awhile!
zdilay3 December 2018
First of all I haven't write a review for a long time but this movie definitely deserves more than one review, since it was artistically perfect, maybe your style or not but it was done right, worth to check it out if it is shown anywhere near you.

I watched this movie during Festival on the wheels in Ankara, and fell in love with it right away from the start, but I have to tell it is a bit of an acquired taste, it takes a while to get used to the esthetics and physical appearances of the characters. The story is solid and interesting, it starts fast and pulls you in right away. The director balanced everything just fine, a little bit of fun here and there, sometimes a smile and other times a good chuckle. There are scary, creepy elements in this too, so definitely not for the faint hearted.

Without giving any spoilers, it is a very internationally culture references packed animation, lots of art, lots of cities with a nice background music. Overall I don't want to spoil any bit of it, since it takes whatever you know and recreates in its own universe. I salute the director for creating such a good piece of art himself by melting known art in his own pot. Good job!
56 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.